The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I'll watch a lot of Movies/TV shows with the subtitles on as well. It really helps with certain types of shows and, for example, English accents. (Subtitles with Game of Thrones was essential for me to just figure out who everyone was in the beginning.)

Parasite is a thriller. It had me on the edge of my seat more than most any action movie or MCU movie would. It also happens to have some socio-economic commentary and elements to it as well, but, anyone can just enjoy the movie strictly for its plot, characters, and masterful directing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject:

To anyone perusin' this thread, a Q:

What do you do with Aronofsky? Black Swan and Mother! both seem quietly great to me. Am I crazy?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
I'll watch a lot of Movies/TV shows with the subtitles on as well. It really helps with certain types of shows and, for example, English accents. (Subtitles with Game of Thrones was essential for me to just figure out who everyone was in the beginning.)

Parasite is a thriller. It had me on the edge of my seat more than most any action movie or MCU movie would. It also happens to have some socio-economic commentary and elements to it as well, but, anyone can just enjoy the movie strictly for its plot, characters, and masterful directing.

Are you a Bong fan in general?
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Some of my favorite Bong films are Mother, Memories of Murder, and Okja. I'm less of a fan of The Host and Snowpiercer although both of those have some great moments.

As far as Aronofsky, his body of work is wildly uneven. When it works, he really hits it out of the ballpark like with Mother!, Pi, and Black Swan.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

MORE JOKER SPOILERS

This is a climactic scene directly from the movie: https://twitter.com/moviesandcats/status/1184747879426068480

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
It's interesting to think that Bong is more Nolan/Fincher (with a touch of GDT) in South Korea while he's more arthouse fare in the U.S. If only we as a nation could get over our aversion to subtitles, there's a whole lot of fun/thoughtful/visually stunning genre and genre-adjacent fare from around the world that could be more broadly enjoyed.

I watch almost everything with subtitles on so it's making it easier to watch things and read along. I saw The Farewell and felt that I didn't miss anything even though they hardly spoke english. Along with Parasite I want to see Takashi Miike's First Love which I've heard great things about.

I went with a Mandarin-speaking friend to see The Farewell and she was amazed at how many people came out to see a movie with subtitles (albeit in a smaller arthouse venue in an internationalized metro area). But there's hope for American moviegoers yet!

At this point I just watch everything at home with subtitles. I saw Under the Skin in theaters and got the disorientation Glazer was going for as I couldn't understand what the (bleep) anyone except Scarlett Johanson was saying, but it was nice to watch it for the second time with subtitles at home.

I'll probably wait for the latest Miike to hit streaming, but it sounds like his most accessible and fun movie in a couple years. He's so damn prolific, though, that it's hard to keep up. If you like Miike's stuff, also give Sion Sono a try - some of his grungier, gonzo stuff is streaming on Netflix and Prime.

Under the Skin has been in my Netflix queue for awhile, about time I get to it. Train to Busan as well.

It's looks like I'll have to wait for streaming for First Love too since it doesn't appear to be in theaters anymore. It would actually be my first Miike film unless I was 13 Assassins first (I hear it's amazing). My friend always raved about Ichi the Killer in high school but it wasn't my tempo back then - still not sure that one is.

I got my ticket for Parasite tonight though (and Jojo Rabbit tomorrow). Gonna go to Arclight Hollywood instead of Drafthouse. I hear the waiters coming in/out at Drafthouse can be distracting so I'll probably check that theater out when I wanna re-watch something.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Ichi the Killer is based on a manga strip so the violence is very caricaturistic and ultra-stylized. I even found myself chuckling at times, it’s so over-the-top. I found the plot to be quite compelling actually; kind of works as a hard boiled Scorsese-by-way-of-Tokyo thriller type.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

The opening to Good Time when Ben Safdie is talking to his therapist is one of the great openings to a film.

"Salt and water, what does that make you think of?"

"The Beach"

*single solitary tear*
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Taxi Driver
King of Comedy
- Phillips really, really likes Scorsese movies but can't seem to understand why they work.

I saw Joker tonight and felt it was made by someone who watched a lot of early Scorsese and came away thinking how cool it was when the steam came out from the subway grates.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

Parasite is a top 5 movie I’ve seen this year. Go see it
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

Ah yes, LG has found (or finally acknowledged) Asians films. I found the treasure trove one day perusing Hollywood Video back in high school. It's an incredible group of films dating all the way back to the 50's (in Japan's case) and it took off in SK in the late 90's. Some incredible directors who have quietly influenced western film makers for years. I'll have to look through the comments about the films but look forward to more discussion (I actually miss some of the Asian film boards from back when i.e. Kung Fu Cult Cinema and such)
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Jojo Rabbit lives up to the hype. It sits with Parasite and The Farewell as my favorite movies of the year. What a treat this weekend was, I got to see 2 of the best films of the year on back to back days.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

So jealous. Thank you to all who refrain from spoilers in this thread for a little while.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
It's interesting to think that Bong is more Nolan/Fincher (with a touch of GDT) in South Korea while he's more arthouse fare in the U.S. If only we as a nation could get over our aversion to subtitles, there's a whole lot of fun/thoughtful/visually stunning genre and genre-adjacent fare from around the world that could be more broadly enjoyed.

I watch almost everything with subtitles on so it's making it easier to watch things and read along. I saw The Farewell and felt that I didn't miss anything even though they hardly spoke english. Along with Parasite I want to see Takashi Miike's First Love which I've heard great things about.

I went with a Mandarin-speaking friend to see The Farewell and she was amazed at how many people came out to see a movie with subtitles (albeit in a smaller arthouse venue in an internationalized metro area). But there's hope for American moviegoers yet!

At this point I just watch everything at home with subtitles. I saw Under the Skin in theaters and got the disorientation Glazer was going for as I couldn't understand what the (bleep) anyone except Scarlett Johanson was saying, but it was nice to watch it for the second time with subtitles at home.

I'll probably wait for the latest Miike to hit streaming, but it sounds like his most accessible and fun movie in a couple years. He's so damn prolific, though, that it's hard to keep up. If you like Miike's stuff, also give Sion Sono a try - some of his grungier, gonzo stuff is streaming on Netflix and Prime.

Under the Skin has been in my Netflix queue for awhile, about time I get to it. Train to Busan as well.

It's looks like I'll have to wait for streaming for First Love too since it doesn't appear to be in theaters anymore. It would actually be my first Miike film unless I was 13 Assassins first (I hear it's amazing). My friend always raved about Ichi the Killer in high school but it wasn't my tempo back then - still not sure that one is.

I got my ticket for Parasite tonight though (and Jojo Rabbit tomorrow). Gonna go to Arclight Hollywood instead of Drafthouse. I hear the waiters coming in/out at Drafthouse can be distracting so I'll probably check that theater out when I wanna re-watch something.

Under the Skin is one of my favorites of the decade and seems to have risen to a certain high esteem among critics after getting mixed initial reviews for better or worse. Glazer is such a talent, and it's a shame he's only made three full-length narrative features in his career (two excellent, one good and fun).

There's a ton of Miike stuff available on Prime if you have an Amazon subscription. He's very extreme - no doubt you've seen your fair share of difficult scenes in movies over the years, but Miike can go to a next level of disturbing/odd/gross that most directors can't and/or won't touch. 13 Assassins is a good starting point as a fun, well-made, thoughtful, ultra-violent Miike film, but there are a couple of non-violent scenes in that movie that still make my skin crawl thinking about them.

Audition is my favorite Miike I've seen so far. It works in a different register than a lot of his other gonzo films. I'd definitely recommend it as a near great/great film, but the stuff available on Prime is more in line with his standard fare.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
Ah yes, LG has found (or finally acknowledged) Asians films. I found the treasure trove one day perusing Hollywood Video back in high school. It's an incredible group of films dating all the way back to the 50's (in Japan's case) and it took off in SK in the late 90's. Some incredible directors who have quietly influenced western film makers for years. I'll have to look through the comments about the films but look forward to more discussion (I actually miss some of the Asian film boards from back when i.e. Kung Fu Cult Cinema and such)

Since we're hyping Asian cinema, let me give a shout out to talented Korean directors like Kim Ki-young and his protégé, Im Kwon-taek, who struggled to make films under the heavy censorship of South Korea's military dictatorship (1961-1993). Before the imposition of the Yusin system in 1973, the South Korean film industry started to come to life in the late-50s and saw some of its grearest works produced during the brief window between 1960-1962 when Syngman Rhee stepped down amid protests and Park Chung-hee staged a military coup against the interim Chang Myon government. Classic works like Kim's The Housemaid and Yu Hyun-mok's Obaltan (Stray Bullet) were finished during that brief window and depict South Korean life in a manner akin to Italian neorealism.

Park's government (1963-1979) was heavy handed in its censorship of the domestic film industry, but it created a quota system against imported films that caused in explosion in South Korean filmmaking, although what the industry produced was mostly quickly made crap to fill public demand and not piss off the censors. Nonetheless, there are melodramas and historical dramas and thrillers and horror films that made it past the censors in the late-60s through the 1980s that do have artistic merit such as Im's Mandala and Village in the Mist or Kim's psychological horror oddities like Insect Woman and Iodo. A lot of South Korean movies made before the 1980s have been lost to time, but the Korean Film Archive does exceptional work to preserve and restore classic Korean films, and have even made them available on their YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/user/KoreanFilm/videos

I believe I've linked to it before, but hopefully a longer preamble gets folks interested in exploring the tumultuous, fascinating history of Korean film before Park Chan-wook came on the scene.

Lastly, Kim's The Housemaid is available to stream on the Criterion Channel as part of Martin "I hate Marvel" Scorsese's vital World Cinema Project.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Saw it today. LOVED. if you’re reading this go see it and don’t read anything about it beforehand.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Francis Ford Coppola goes off on the MCU. Warms the heart.

Quote:
nuanced opinion guy
@charles_kinbote
There’s most likely going to be some discourse about this again but the reality is anyone who’s in the business of making movies who doesn’t want, deep down, approval from the guy who made The Godfather is LYING

https://twitter.com/charles_kinbote/status/1185894129810706434
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject:

Superhero Movies Ranked:

1. Orgazmo
2. Blade
3. Batman Returns
4. Zebraman
5. Batman (1989)

HM: The Incredibles, Superman (1978), Blade II, The Dark Knight, Zoolander
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Since it's the scary season, what are some of your favorite horror flicks - elevated or in the gutter - that you'd recommend?

To start off:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - Michael Rooker as infamous serial killer Henry Lee Lucas in a grim, grim film that undercuts all the pop true crime fascination with vile, pathetic murderers.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I liked It Follows. The first 2-3 Paranormal Activity movies were fun. Scream movies are classics imo, although the third was the weak one. The Strangers. Sinister was really creepy. And not sure if it counts but I still love Get Out.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Not a horror movie:

Jan Troell's The Emigrants and The New Land, now streaming on the Criterion Channel until 10/31, are masterpieces. They comprise one of, if not the best, American immigrant tales ever captured on film. I can't swear by these movies more.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I liked It Follows. The first 2-3 Paranormal Activity movies were fun. Scream movies are classics imo, although the third was the weak one. The Strangers. Sinister was really creepy. And not sure if it counts but I still love Get Out.

Get Out definitely counts.

I liked Craven's version of The Hills Have Eyes, but the Scream movies are still my favorites of his.

Ken Russell is a kinky weirdo who made some fun horror inspired flicks over the decades. I haven't seen enough of his work, but The Devils is on Criterion Channel and Lair of the White Worm is available on Amazon Prime and I recommend both.

Man...I really need to see more horror films.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I love Angel Heart and Jacobs Ladder. I’m not the hugest horror buff, so I prefer when they're mixed with some detective/thriller/supernatural elements, which help create a broader mythology.

Get Out was fantastic amongst contemporary horror, mostly because it can also work a dark comedy and a thriller, with great subtlety and without fully committing to either genre.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Since it's the scary season, what are some of your favorite horror flicks

“KCP Guarding Kawhi” (2019, dir. Frank Vogel)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Since it's the scary season, what are some of your favorite horror flicks

“KCP Guarding Kawhi” (2019, dir. Frank Vogel)

With Tyronn Lue in a supporting role. He looks like he has horror movie face.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 31 of 189
Jump to: