The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

Did Pacino just have a rough 80's or what? His voice changed so much from The Godfather to Heat; it's like he got stuck doing his version of Batman voice. Meanwhile Deniro's voice didn't really change at all from the 70's until now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Watched
Mean streets
There will be blood. ( Havent seen since originally released. So good).

Love the party for Jerry (played by Harry Northup) in Mean Streets. The whole scene, especially Marty's music choices. Northup was a more prominent character in the 1979 teen flick "Over The Edge". That movie was the influence of the music video for The Pumpkins' song "1979" and Cobain cited it as a fave movie of his as a middle teen. You should find it out. The only noteworthy actor was the debut of Matt Dillon. It's a good flick, the kids are little effers. The scene in Boyz N The Hood where Dough and Lil Chris were arrested w/ "Ooh, Child" playing over the scene was borrowed from the end of "Over The Edge". Not talking about "The Edge" (the Hopkins/Alec B/bear movie), tho I like that one, too. Hopkins re: bear: "We're gonna KILL the mutha bleep!" Funny to hear him say mofo.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Did Pacino just have a rough 80's or what? His voice changed so much from The Godfather to Heat; it's like he got stuck doing his version of Batman voice. Meanwhile Deniro's voice didn't really change at all from the 70's until now.

Scarface, Brasco, and Glengarry have all been on last nite and this morn. W/ Glengarry, I just gotta see the Baldwin part if nothing else -- his tour de force moment on film (he was good in that doctor movie called Malice that my friend and former LG poster KBCB liked). The most discernable change for me is that he added all the Pacino flair to his voice since Michael C. You know what I mean, his big-loud moments and his comical faces. "GREAT AAAASS!!!!1" is one of those moments. Also EG: the face he makes in Donnie Brasco when he puts the gun to his head when he asks Depp if he's a snitch/agent. "I must be the biggest bleepin mutt in the history of tha mafia (fuggedaboutit)." I like Scarface because there's almost none of that later Al histrionics in it. He makes a modern Al face when he shoots Mel Bernstein, but it only shows for a split second.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Watched
Mean streets

Love the party for Jerry (played by Harry Northup) in Mean Streets. The whole scene, especially Marty's music choices. Northup was a more prominent character in the 1979 teen flick "Over The Edge". That movie was the influence of the music video for The Pumpkins' song "1979" and Cobain cited it as a fave movie of his as a middle teen. You should find it out. The only noteworthy actor was the debut of Matt Dillon. It's a good flick, the kids are little effers. The scene in Boyz N The Hood where Dough and Lil Chris were arrested w/ "Ooh, Child" playing over the scene was borrowed from the end of "Over The Edge". Not talking about "The Edge" (the Hopkins/Alec B/bear movie), tho I like that one, too. Hopkins re: bear: "We're gonna KILL the mutha bleep!" Funny to hear him say mofo.

Over the edge is a solid reminder. Would like to see that at this elevated age.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Watched
Mean streets

Over the edge is a solid reminder. Would like to see that at this elevated age.

You're trying to tell me that you were like one of those kids in the movie, aren't you?

Another OTE tidbit copied from it was their use of the street lights over pavement and especially a big hill in the pavement. They put the cam on the ground to get the pavement and light pole and maybe the sun in the picture. E.T. blatantly ripped that off if OTE hadn't ripped it from someone else, but I recognize the hill in the street w/ overhead streetlight view in a ton of stuff. That 1979 Pumpkins video did it blatantly too.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Scarface, Brasco, and Glengarry have all been on last nite and this morn. W/ Glengarry, I just gotta see the Baldwin part if nothing else -- his tour de force moment on film (he was good in that doctor movie called Malice that my friend and former LG poster KBCB liked). The most discernable change for me is that he added all the Pacino flair to his voice since Michael C. You know what I mean, his big-loud moments and his comical faces. "GREAT AAAASS!!!!1" is one of those moments. Also EG: the face he makes in Donnie Brasco when he puts the gun to his head when he asks Depp if he's a snitch/agent. "I must be the biggest bleepin mutt in the history of tha mafia (fuggedaboutit)." I like Scarface because there's almost none of that later Al histrionics in it. He makes a modern Al face when he shoots Mel Bernstein, but it only shows for a split second.

I agree, that was Baldwin at his absolute best. I liken it to Ryan O'Neal in Barry Lyndon; O'Neal is an insincere actor, but casting him to play an insincere character was an act of genius. Baldwin is excellent at playing an a.h., that part of his personality always seemed to infect his early work on the screen. It was a career defining moment for him in Glengarry Glen Ross, he was an absolute force on screen as the role was at the epicenter of his acting range. But then the casting of Glengarry Glen Ross was a casting director's dream with Alan Arkin, Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris and Kevin Spacey all at their best. Supposedly none of the actors bothered going back to their dressing rooms between scenes, they just stuck around as they were enthralled by the work of their colleagues.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
watched hangman last night on HBOMAX. Pacino.

he was such an amazing actor as I was growing up. To the point i used to watch his movies that predated me.

hes just a tough watch for me. Its watchable but so flawed

He is a great actor he made Scarface. The Pacino drawl is very distinguishable. Is there going to be a Hangman II? The ending left the door open.

it just feels like every line out of his mouth sounds like his
"Shes got a great arse" from heat.

Watched
Mean streets

Heat was the last time a director was able to get a solid performance out of Al without losing it all to his descent into Nicholson on steroids.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I agree, that was Baldwin at his absolute best. I liken it to Ryan O'Neal in Barry Lyndon; O'Neal is an insincere actor, but casting him to play an insincere character was an act of genius. Baldwin is excellent at playing an a.h., that part of his personality always seemed to infect his early work on the screen. It was a career defining moment for him in Glengarry Glen Ross, he was an absolute force on screen as the role was at the epicenter of his acting range. But then the casting of Glengarry Glen Ross was a casting director's dream with Alan Arkin, Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris and Kevin Spacey all at their best. Supposedly none of the actors bothered going back to their dressing rooms between scenes, they just stuck around as they were enthralled by the work of their colleagues.

Alec also shined in the lesser known flick Miami Blues. Played a prick conman, suited him well. I love Lyndon, have discussed it numerous times and agreed on O'Neal. I thought he was great in Paper Moon, but I haven't seen a ton of his work. Not that Lyndon is a small potato by any means, it's so long it has an intermission. I have my takes on Harris and Lemmon. I think if Lemmon didn't get the Oscar for GGR, he was never gonna do it again for the rest of his life. Ed, afaic, should have his Oscar by now. Shame he doesn't yet. I remember him when he had hair in Creepshow 1 back in 82 where he did some disco dancing before a revenant zombie by supernatural powers from the grave tipped a heavy gravestone onto Ed's head and chuckled as he limped off. He has done almost nothing but solid work eeevar since. Appaloosa remake? His Pollock passion project? He was superb in that and was the closest looking guy to Jackson Pollock in Hollywood to boot. He made that movie accessible to non-art lovers and art lovers alike.

This ain't woke, but I think Spacey maybe shouldn't have been forever cancelled. I know what he did was wrong, but Polanski kept working in Europe while having gone further than Spacey was accused of going. There are worse people in Hollywood now who weren't forever cancelled. That's all I'm sayin. Spacey can't take back what he says he can't remember doing back in 1986. That might be why he was cancelled, because he didn't fully own Anthony Rapp's claims. He tried to minimize a little bit on the sly.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

he was such an amazing actor as I was growing up. To the point i used to watch his movies that predated me.

He is a great actor he made Scarface. The Pacino drawl is very distinguishable. Is there going to be a Hangman II? The ending left the door open.

Watched
Mean streets

Heat was the last time a director was able to get a solid performance out of Al without losing it all to his descent into Nicholson on steroids.

Are you the d00d who thinks Day Lewis is kinda Pacinoish in certain respects or am I thinkin of Mule or Baron?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Watched
Mean streets

Love Heat and Pacino kills in it, but I also loved him in The Insider, Insomnia and The Irishman after that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

Colombiana Zoe Saldana plays a badass killer out to revenge the death of her family. Lots of action. She plays the part to the hilt. The song at the end Hurt by Johnnie Cash is haunting. It's worth a re-watch.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Colombiana Zoe Saldana plays a badass killer out to revenge the death of her family. Lots of action. She plays the part to the hilt. The song at the end Hurt by Johnnie Cash is haunting. It's worth a re-watch.

And you caaaan haaaaaave iiiiiiit aaaaaaaalll...myyyyy empiiiiire of shhiiii...

Have you ever seen a Nine Inch Nails video, Jody? How bout "Closer". That's the original group who did the song, case you dunno em. I'm not into techno music, but this was their most accessible song, perhaps. The video of which was highly lauded at the time, but there's an edited and a director's unedited cut. Most say the edited one which leaves something to the imagination because they hold up signs that say "edited" or sthg to that effect is the better of the two. The director's cut is good too tho.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Alec also shined in the lesser known flick Miami Blues. Played a prick conman, suited him well. I love Lyndon, have discussed it numerous times and agreed on O'Neal. I thought he was great in Paper Moon, but I haven't seen a ton of his work. Not that Lyndon is a small potato by any means, it's so long it has an intermission. I have my takes on Harris and Lemmon. I think if Lemmon didn't get the Oscar for GGR, he was never gonna do it again for the rest of his life. Ed, afaic, should have his Oscar by now. Shame he doesn't yet. I remember him when he had hair in Creepshow 1 back in 82 where he did some disco dancing before a revenant zombie by supernatural powers from the grave tipped a heavy gravestone onto Ed's head and chuckled as he limped off. He has done almost nothing but solid work eeevar since. Appaloosa remake? His Pollock passion project? He was superb in that and was the closest looking guy to Jackson Pollock in Hollywood to boot. He made that movie accessible to non-art lovers and art lovers alike.

This ain't woke, but I think Spacey maybe shouldn't have been forever cancelled. I know what he did was wrong, but Polanski kept working in Europe while having gone further than Spacey was accused of going. There are worse people in Hollywood now who weren't forever cancelled. That's all I'm sayin. Spacey can't take back what he says he can't remember doing back in 1986. That might be why he was cancelled, because he didn't fully own Anthony Rapp's claims. He tried to minimize a little bit on the sly.

Agreed on Spacey; he and Polanski might have done horrible things, but that doesn't invalidate their work. I'll check out Miami Blues, after I get back from moving my evil spawn into his dorm room this weekend.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Have you ever seen a Nine Inch Nails video, Jody? How bout "Closer". That's the original group who did the song, case you dunno em. I'm not into techno music, but this was their most accessible song, perhaps. The video of which was highly lauded at the time, but there's an edited and a director's unedited cut. Most say the edited one which leaves something to the imagination because they hold up signs that say "edited" or sthg to that effect is the better of the two. The director's cut is good too tho.

I hadn't heard it before LINK I had to sign in to google to listen to the link you posted. That's some freaky $hit.

Johnny Cash made you feel the pain. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

RIP Sonny Chiba, you were one of the GOATs
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Agreed on Spacey; he and Polanski might have done horrible things, but that doesn't invalidate their work. I'll check out Miami Blues, after I get back from moving my evil spawn into his dorm room this weekend.

You'll like it. Early work, when he was still young/vital/dangerous. JJL is the female lead. It's kinda like a forerunner to Natural Born Killers. At least it felt like that to me. Bonnie and Clyde. Or The Grifters.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I hadn't heard it before LINK I had to sign in to google to listen to the link you posted. That's some freaky $hit.

Hahaha at freaky sh. Lolz over here. Aaahhh... I love you, man. LMAO.

I just watched Closer again. That's the unedited cut. It's very artful and was highly praised even in the censored format. I love the original. It's morbidly beautiful. Freaky, but serious thought put into that video. It's one the all-time great music vids imo. My personal take on the greatest MTV vid of all time is Every Breath You Take by The Police. It's timeless because it's in black and white. The whole production and song are great. I feel like Salieri in Amadeus when I listen to it. Jump by Van Halen, Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel, Take On Me by A-Ha, Like A Prayer by Madonna, and Thriller by Michael Jackson are usually in the top 10 whenever MTV or the defunct VH1 did countdowns.

The Cash thing is excellent, I've heard it before. He was doing alternative rock songs at that time. That was when the music scene was still packed with substance. Unfortunately, Cobain's death was the beginning of the end. I was in HS from 90-94, the entire run of so-called Grunge. I didn't appreciate it as much then until I was an adult who had felt "hurt". Teens usually know bupkiss.

You wanna see a FUH-RRRREEEEEEEAKY video? Watch this one in full and tell me what you think. It's called "Come To Daddy" by Aphex Twin. This is the stuff of nightmares.

Watch this one, too. Cmon. This is another accessible song from NIN. Again, artful video, but not on the level of Closer. It's called "The Perfect Drug". The stringwork in this gets into your head.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
RIP Sonny Chiba, you were one of the GOATs

Aww man the OG Street Fighter. RIP
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Hahaha at freaky sh. Lolz over here. Aaahhh... I love you, man. LMAO.

I just watched Closer again. That's the unedited cut. It's very artful and was highly praised even in the censored format. I love the original. It's morbidly beautiful. Freaky, but serious thought put into that video. It's one the all-time great music vids imo. My personal take on the greatest MTV vid of all time is Every Breath You Take by The Police. It's timeless because it's in black and white. The whole production and song are great. I feel like Salieri in Amadeus when I listen to it. Jump by Van Halen, Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel, Take On Me by A-Ha, Like A Prayer by Madonna, and Thriller by Michael Jackson are usually in the top 10 whenever MTV or the defunct VH1 did countdowns.

The Cash thing is excellent, I've heard it before. He was doing alternative rock songs at that time. That was when the music scene was still packed with substance. Unfortunately, Cobain's death was the beginning of the end. I was in HS from 90-94, the entire run of so-called Grunge. I didn't appreciate it as much then until I was an adult who had felt "hurt". Teens usually know bupkiss.

You wanna see a FUH-RRRREEEEEEEAKY video? Watch this one in full and tell me what you think. It's called "Come To Daddy" by Aphex Twin. This is the stuff of nightmares.

Watch this one, too. Cmon. This is another accessible song from NIN. Again, artful video, but not on the level of Closer. It's called "The Perfect Drug". The stringwork in this gets into your head.

Those videos aren't my cup of tea. I don't hear messages and melody, lots of graphics, and screaming. I'm not as deep into music as you are. I'm of the message and melody school. LINK Watch videos 1 & 2. Let me know if you mist.

2 prety good movies Safe House CAST

Freaky Cast

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Best under 30 actor on the planet in my opinion:

He should be a movie star with his own franchise.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Those videos aren't my cup of tea. I don't hear messages and melody, lots of graphics, and screaming. I'm not as deep into music as you are. I'm of the message and melody school. LINK Watch videos 1 & 2. Let me know if you mist.

Not at all, not a Techno fan, but I'd describe myself as someone who can find talent, art, beauty in many forms of media, music and movies alike. I feel ya on melody singers, I enjoy some Jeffrey Osborne, Whitney, Mariah, Aretha, Janis, Jimi, Marley, etc. Depends on the tune itself, I'd say, no matter what the genre. I'm like Ricky Fitts from American Beauty w/ that heart thang. That's heart's gonna cave in thang. I get a kick out of Patrick Bateman (American Psycho)'s emotional descriptions of music that you wouldn't think he'd be into (like Whitney) because I'm like that, too. I love Greatest Love Of All, she is to me the greatest singer of that genre, even over Mariah (I love Vision Of Love). And then I crack up when I see Arsenio singing Greatest Love Of All in Coming To America 1 because, yes, the lyrics are both sweet and both corny. I realize Luther was a great soul singer, trust. I gotcha 1000%. That's not lost on me. I'm probably more classic rock CENTRIC, but I still love early 80s corny MTV stuff/synthpop. I've loved early Van Halen since I was 4-5 and I just made another thread about how much of a commercial staple they were at the time, but that doesn't bug me at all. I love Marley, Redemption Song is beautiful, but it was clearly intended and written as a tribute to his fellow black and brown people around the world, and yet, it is very touching to my white hetero male heart. I and don't usually bring my identity to mind when I hear something like that, but the realization of my identity is still not lost upon me, I guess. A Change Is Gonna Come by Otis Redding conjures similar feelings. I was pissed when I lost the 2nd epi of SNL in 75 from my DVR because it had the very best rendition of American Tune by Paul Simon on it. That song conversely probably addresses middle class white America. And then there are classical pieces that are tearful to me. I love Pachelbel's Canon and Ordinary People specifically because they put it to good use, kinda unearthed it at the time, it became popular again.

RE movies, I can be a sophisticate and I can still enjoy something that is nothing more than rubbish. I love Texas Chain Saw Massacre 1 because it's a brilliant postmodern art film, I love Barry Lyndon because of the utter technical genius of Stanley Kubrick and the sumptuousness of the candlelit and naturally lit scenery in that film not to mention the acting prowess and the Victorian script. The language is so flowery. That movie looks like a Renaissance master painting. And on the other side, I like 80s rubbish like Better Off Dead and Revenge Of The Nerds. My fave horror comedy flick of the 80s is The Return Of The Living Dead 1. Morbid/black humor and or moronic faire like that. I have an extremely wry and sarcastic sense of humor. I am an absolute Sopranos and Marty mob film junkie. I love GoodFellas as much as anyone and that's about as commercial as you can get. There are also tender artful films that bring me to tears. I've had movies that brought up feelings of dead family that brought me to profuse crying for 30 mins. The scene in the movie The Descendants with a woman on life support was very harsh to me because I had a death in the family like that. And watching dreck as long as I enjoy it doesn't bother my desire to be a movie savant on the level of Baron one iota. I realize WHY I enjoy each different thing. It doesn't have to be something more than that, I suppose.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

The Night House 2020) - The theatrical release was delayed by COVID and based on the sparsely attended screening I was at and the film's cinema score, it might not be around much longer...which is a shame. An old school haunted house movie that blends psychological horror and jump scares effectively, it's well worth being immersed with in a dark theater. Rebecca Hall gives an awesome performance carrying the lead character's grief, fear, and exhaustion while never letting it drown out her toughness and charisma. I've liked her in a lot of her ensemble roles, but I loved her here.

The movie bogs down in unnecessary exposition 2-3 times that partially breaks its spell where a more confident director/less invasive studio would've let the atmosphere carry viewers through to its legitimately affecting ending. But Hall's star performance, David Bruckner's patient, skilled direction, and a thoughtful exploration of loss, fear of death, and how even the ones we're closest to can't ever be fully known far outweigh the few negatives.

Plus - no annoying teal color grading like in the damn Conjuring movies.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject:

"How bad could Pink Flamingos be?"

1 hr and 50 min later

"Welp. That earned its reputation."
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

‘What happened to Monday’- Netflix… excellent!!! Great action, simple but intriguing story line, great ending plot, recommend
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
"How bad could Pink Flamingos be?"

1 hr and 50 min later

"Welp. That earned its reputation."

What the hell is that? I know of "The Flamingo Kid". I think it was Depp's debut. Or Mickey Rourke. No, Depp. No, Grieco.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 132 of 189
Jump to: