Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Anyone ever see the movie "The Wanderers"? I saw it on TV, in high school and thought it was the greatest movie ever. Still do.

Yep. Totally remember that one. It was Ken Wahl’s breakout role. It was fun, but not a big standout.

It was based on a book by Richard Price, who also wrote "Clockers" (underrated Spike Lee joint) and on The Wire.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate...wow.

https://twitter.com/MargotRobbie/status/1107989379224465409

I keep hearing alot about this movie (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood) and it's cast.....any chance it lives up to the hype?

The other one that everyone seems to be talking about that is coming out this year is the Scorsese film, The Irishman. Love the cast.....hope it lives up to the hype.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I keep hearing alot about this movie (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood) and it's cast.....any chance it lives up to the hype?

The other one that everyone seems to be talking about that is coming out this year is the Scorsese film, The Irishman. Love the cast.....hope it lives up to the hype.

The trailer just hit and Brad Pitt is fighting Bruce Lee.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Please don't tell us Pitt is playing Chuck Norris.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

He plays Rick Dalton’s stunt double.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

He plays Rick Dalton’s stunt double.

Just having' a little fun.

Still can't figure out how Quentin resurrected Bruce Lee though.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

hmm....but Margot Robbie is beautiful.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

A new Tarantino film?

LINK
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
A new Tarantino film?

LINK

You're wrong and you should feel bad.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Add Mulholland Falls in there.

Good add. One of my favorite Nick Nolte performances. And my dad confuses it with Mulholland Drive all the time for hilarious results.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Nothing But Trouble
[/i]

Haha. I always thought that the Judge looked like Red Auerbach and that Red also had parts missing. Judge after jamming with Digital Underground: "You SUURRRE are a gaggle of muscians, suure enough!" Favorite part is when the Judge is trying to take a bite of his hot dog filled with slop.

It's one of the great dirtbag comedies where everyone except maybe John Candy's sheriff is unlikable, which makes it one of the perfect starring vehicles for Chevy Chase and Demi Moore. It has an uncompromising, disgusting vision and I'm here for it.

I think it's an obvious homage to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre or it borrowed a whole list of ideas. Both started out w/ a vehicle of travelers who get waylaid into a nearly inescapable house of horrors featuring a ghoulish and probably inbred family. Both families "disappear" said travelers, there are stacks of bones and the leftover items from the vanished. Mr. Bonestripper is the equiv to Leatherface's butchering room. YT viewers suggest the hot dogs are made from the disappeared people, which was strongly hinted at in Chainsaw 1. Chainsaw also had its silly/hokey moments, it was oddly comedic in its own right, which Trouble also is. A major difference is the presence of Tupac. I don't think he was in Chainsaw 1, but other than that... Taylor Negron (also RIP) was a scene stealer. That black BMW was as sexy as Demi was back then. Those creamy white thighs, man. I hate you, Bruce Willis.

Speaking of Negron, have you seen River's Edge (1986) with Crispin Glover and Keanu? Good little indy, disturbing as it was. It did have one of the more heinous boom mic reflections in glass that I know of. It was probably the worst gaffe I've seen until recently when I watched Body Heat and during one of the sex scenes, the dude filming was completely visible in the window's reflection.

I like the TCM homage theory, it makes a ton of sense. Credit to Akroyd for turning it up to 11 with Bobo & Li'l Debil and all the other insanity.

I haven't seen River's Edge in 25 years, but I remember enjoying it. I guess that was the movie where everyone figured out Crispin Glover* was actually bat crap insane. I need to rewatch it.

*I've never met Glover, but I was once in close proximity to him at the Huntington Gardens. I decided to leave him to his conversation with his gf/wife while my gf at the time didn't understand my excitement at all.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Just watched First Reformed last night. What a beautiful film. Great acting from Hawke (as always) and surprisingly Cedric the Entertainer. The last 20 minutes definitely didn't go the way I saw it.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Just watched First Reformed last night. What a beautiful film. Great acting from Hawke (as always) and surprisingly Cedric the Entertainer. The last 20 minutes definitely didn't go the way I saw it.

One of my faves from last year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

A real treasure from last year that deserved much more respect at the Oscars, especially for Hawke.

Have you seen Bresson's 1951 Diary of a Country Priest? Schrader takes that narrative and really makes it his own in fascinating ways in First Reformed.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

A real treasure from last year that deserved much more respect at the Oscars, especially for Hawke.

Have you seen Bresson's 1951 Diary of a Country Priest? Schrader takes that narrative and really makes it his own in fascinating ways in First Reformed.

I have not. But, I did read about that and a couple other movies as influencial to Schrader, Winter's Night and the Ordet. I plan to seek out all three.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD - Official Teaser Trailer (HD)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Good add. One of my favorite Nick Nolte performances. And my dad confuses it with Mulholland Drive all the time for hilarious results.

This might be an unpopular opinion, especially since Anthony Hopkins created such an iconic character in Hannibal Lecter, but I would have given the Best Actor Oscar to Nolte for his role in The Prince Of Tides over Hopkins, and done so without hesitation. Hopkins' total screen time in The Silence Of The Lambs is 16 minutes, and he doesn't appear on screen at all in the final 45 minutes or so of the film, save for the final scene when he makes the phone call to Clarice. To me, that is a supporting role, not a leading role. Nolte's performance, meanwhile, is felt in virtually every scene of the film, and I just found it very affecting.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

I haven't seen River's Edge in 25 years, but I remember enjoying it. I guess that was the movie where everyone figured out Crispin Glover* was actually bat crap insane. I need to rewatch it.

*I've never met Glover, but I was once in close proximity to him at the Huntington Gardens. I decided to leave him to his conversation with his gf/wife while my gf at the time didn't understand my excitement at all.

Definitely in that timeframe was Crispin discovered as a bit eccentric. He went on Letterman and pulled a really bad attempt at a character and he pissed Dave off, though it's up there with Andy Kauffman and Madonna in Letterman lore. He did a karate kick that landed about a foot from his face.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Yes and yes. Ced was completely believable in that role and I'd be surprised if he didn't grow up with a church background after watching that. Saw A Star Is Born yesterday and 3 more old comedians, sup with all this? I was sure the ending was some kind of biblical reference, but I'm too much of a heathen to know what it was. The female character as pregnant Mary (mother Mary) seemed like an obvious tipoff.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

A paean to the brilliance of Hamaguchi's Happy Hour, a 5 1/2 hour long film about women in their 30s navigating their changing love lives, it sneaks up on you as a gorgeous, patient study of (mis)communication, friendship, female socioeconomic roles, and time dilation.

It is the longest movie I've ever watched. Arguably not much happens. And having now watched it three times it moves me beyond words and it outlines and navigates a community I want to live in forever.

Most here will never watch it, which I 100% get. But I thought I'd recommend it to those adventursome and patient few who wish to see it on Amazon Prime. It's split into three segments. Just search for "Happy Hour."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

This might be an unpopular opinion, especially since Anthony Hopkins created such an iconic character in Hannibal Lecter, but I would have given the Best Actor Oscar to Nolte for his role in The Prince Of Tides over Hopkins, and done so without hesitation. Hopkins' total screen time in The Silence Of The Lambs is 16 minutes, and he doesn't appear on screen at all in the final 45 minutes or so of the film, save for the final scene when he makes the phone call to Clarice. To me, that is a supporting role, not a leading role. Nolte's performance, meanwhile, is felt in virtually every scene of the film, and I just found it very affecting.

Hopkins is in that tiny handful of my favorite actors (and for those who haven't seen it, here's an excellent breakdown of his performance in a scene from Westworld, and I understand your opinion. You are not alone in it.

I have a question for you about Prince of Tides. Was it purely Nolte's performance that you enjoyed or was it the movie itself? The only reason I ask is that's a movie that based on some of your previous discussion here I wouldn't have thought you'd necessarily like. And I don't say that in any way that's other than simple curiosity, I just was wondering if you liked the movie and Nolte's performance was a plus, or you if Nolte's performance was the reason it stands out.

Hope that question makes sense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Hopkins is in that tiny handful of my favorite actors (and for those who haven't seen it, here's an excellent breakdown of his performance in a scene from Westworld, and I understand your opinion. You are not alone in it.

I have a question for you about Prince of Tides. Was it purely Nolte's performance that you enjoyed or was it the movie itself? The only reason I ask is that's a movie that based on some of your previous discussion here I wouldn't have thought you'd necessarily like. And I don't say that in any way that's other than simple curiosity, I just was wondering if you liked the movie and Nolte's performance was a plus, or you if Nolte's performance was the reason it stands out.

Hope that question makes sense.

I did like the movie overall. Certainly the family secret that is central to the troubles of the Wingo family deals with dark subject matter, but the romance with Lowenstein, as well as her breakthrough with him in therapy, is also a rebirth of sorts for him, so it's not just all despair and hopelessness. In fact, you even get a sense of hope out of it all. Not that I'm saying this film is close to how great The Shawshank Redemption is, but that's a similar set of circumstances where a film is dealing with what could be dreary subject matter, and yet the viewer finds a sense of hope out of it all.

I thought Streisand was passable as Lowenstein, and I rather enjoyed her "and I can't believe you would say anything when everyone knows you're (screwing) my husband" line at the dinner party that her snobby husband hosts, which Tom attends. (I also liked how Tom tells him off after faking like he was going to drop the priceless violin off the ledge.) And I thought Melinda Dillon's portrayal of the troubled Savannah Wingo was really beautiful, as she brought the warmth and humanity to the character that I've personally seen in other mentally troubled people who have had to go through too much undeserved crap in their lives that they didn't bring on themselves.

I thought it was a master class from Nolte though, above all else.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Caught Jordan Peele's Us last night. Thought it was OK. Some interesting concepts, albeit very poorly executed. Disappointing as I really loved Get Out.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I raved about Christian Petzold's Phoenix earlier in the thread and will rave even more about his latest, and imo best, Transit. It's a lusciously shot modern riff on Casablanca - via Kafka and Hitchcock - that portrays the disorientation and dislocation of refugees under creeping fascism. But the source of that fascism - and the very time period in the movie - is intentionally vague and slippery in the sneaky mind-bender Petzold has crafted.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Caught Jordan Peele's Us last night. Thought it was OK. Some interesting concepts, albeit very poorly executed. Disappointing as I really loved Get Out.

I had the opposite reaction. Not as well-executed/cohesive as Get Out, but it's a bold sophomore effort that mostly works, imo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 14 of 189
Jump to: