The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

Hey Hollywood:

Sophia Lillis is very attractive and talented. Please get her out of mediocre horror movies and into the next Panos Cosmatos flick.

Also, since we're here, please pair Hong Chau and Brian Tyree Henry in a rom-com that doesn't look like straight-to-Netflix puke.

Thank you.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Armie Hammer has finally become interesting.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Please stop remaking or prequeling horror classics, Hollywood. Go after past failures or low budget oddities like Scarecrows instead of rebooting the Evil Dead or Poltergeist.

Thank you.

You have to think of it as a whole different level of horror.

Yes. The twist of Chucky being an app took Child's Play to a whole new level.

It’s an ironic neo film satire meant to convey the longing of people for good old fashioned horror like Tank Girl.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject:

In all seriousness, the horror genre hasn’t exactly been designed to appeal to a Mensa demographic, so, like many action movies, you could just change the opening credits and most of them would think it was a new flick.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Please stop remaking or prequeling horror classics, Hollywood. Go after past failures or low budget oddities like Scarecrows instead of rebooting the Evil Dead or Poltergeist.

Thank you.

It’s an ironic neo film satire meant to convey the longing of people for good old fashioned horror like Tank Girl.

Tank Girl is a sci-fi satire based on a comic book. Please, let's not slander Tank Girl here.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Thank you.

Tank Girl is a sci-fi satire based on a comic book. Please, let's not slander Tank Girl here.

Slander requires the insult to be untrue. You’re safe.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Thank you.

It isn't horror, so you might not be.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Chained for Life (2018): A touch too precious to reach full greatness, this is so much more interesting than most movies you'll ever see this year and it has absolutely lovely, transcendent moments within a flawed whole.

Streaming on Mubi for a few more hours and available on Kino Now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject:

A handful of Masaaki Yuasa animated films and short anime series are available on HBO Max including the lovely Night is Short, Walk on Girl.

Enjoy at your own leisure.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Thank you.

It isn't horror, so you might not be.

Well, not intentional, but it’s a kind of horror if you like plot, acting, dialogue, and well, anything resembling anything entertaining or useful.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject:

^ Alright, alright. Even I'm not going to try to rehabilitate the reputation of Tank Girl. That's a stinker.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Thank you.

I thought Tank Girl was entertaining. Lori Petty was comic book sexy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Thank you.

I thought Tank Girl was entertaining. Lori Petty was comic book sexy.

In fairness, you think the traffic going by your apartment is a parade, so there’s that...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Quote:
Scott Tobias
@scott_tobias
Is it called WONDER WOMAN 1984 because that’s where the effects came from?

https://twitter.com/scott_tobias/status/1342306389385998343

Another bummer, so boring

Finally got to seeing WW and it was disappointing, even my wife who loved the first one fell asleep.

It was 30 mins too long and all over the place with too many things going on and trying to be too many things a Patty film, a Snyder film with over explanations of every little thing, a Donner film with cheesiness. Doesn't even make sense why they chose the 80's.

Just watched it at home. To anyone who has seen it, all I can say is: I wish I hadn't.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Quote:
Scott Tobias
@scott_tobias

Finally got to seeing WW and it was disappointing, even my wife who loved the first one fell asleep.

It was 30 mins too long and all over the place with too many things going on and trying to be too many things a Patty film, a Snyder film with over explanations of every little thing, a Donner film with cheesiness. Doesn't even make sense why they chose the 80's.

Just watched it at home. To anyone who has seen it, all I can say is: I wish I hadn't.

I put it on in the background and watched intermittently last night while cooking and it seemed mediocre. Gal Godot cannot act her way out of a wet paper bag. I will give Jenkins credit for making a slightly horny superhero movie given how neutered the MCU is.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Quote:
Scott Tobias
@scott_tobias

I put it on in the background and watched intermittently last night while cooking and it seemed mediocre. Gal Godot cannot act her way out of a wet paper bag. I will give Jenkins credit for making a slightly horny superhero movie given how neutered the MCU is.

Gal Gadot is no Lynda Carter

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

I am excited to see One Night in Miami. Anyone seen it yet? Is it available?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

And I also have an urge to see "Three Kings" again. That was a good movie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject:

Random casts that may be of interest to weirdos:

A trip down a rabbit hole researching Cindy Sherman led me to mid-90s sci-fi mediocrity Johnny Mnemonic. Besides Keanu in the titu-u-lar role ("I wanna order room service!") the cast includes a random hodgepodge of Dolph Lundgren, Ice-T, Henry Rollins, Udo Kier (of course), Beat Takeshi (!), and Fassbinder muse Barbara Sukowa slumming it in her husband, sculptor Robert Longo's, one and only Hollywood film.

When watching Portrait of a Lady on Fire last year pre-pandemic I recognized film matriarch Valeria Golino's face, but couldn't quite recall where I had seen her before. Lo and behold, I find out I had a major early pubescent crush on her as Ramada Hayman, Charlie Sheen's love interest in the Hot Shots movies. Regardless of the effects of time I'd still like to fry some eggs and bacon on her tummy.

A deeper cut in Hot Shots! is a brief cameo from a fresh-faced Heidi Swedberg as the wife of LT Pete "Dead Meat" Thompson who really should've revealed the truth about JFK's assassination before flying that fighter jet. Most will remember Swedberg for her most iconic wife role, Susan Ross, who licked those poisoned wedding envelopes straight to heaven.

More Random Casts:

Kindergarten Cop - another entry in the "hey, wouldn't it be funny to have Arnie try to be a normal guy" movies that were popular in the early '90s peaking with the insane 1-2 punch of True Lies and Junior in 1994. There are some solid character actor turns from Pamela Reed and Linda Hunt both having fun with the ridiculous premise and brief cameos from Angela Basset and Steve Park*. Most of the kindergartners who continued in Hollywood didn't grow up to be more than working actors outside of tv drama staple Odette Annable, but Catherine Reitman is in the background shot as a 3rd grader in her dad's movie and she has since famously grown up to be Dennis' ex-wife, dead-toothed Maureen Ponderosa.

The movie ends insanely with an armed showdown between Arnie and bad guy dad Cullen Crisp (Richard Tyson) using his son Dominic (twins Joseph and Christian Cousins) as a human shield in the elementary school shower room. Dominic's pet ferret crawls out of his jacket at the last second and bites Crisp's hand as Dominic gets free - Arnie is shot in the leg, but pumps the kid's dad full of lead. This is a kid's movie. Then Crisp's crazy momma played by the lovely Carroll Baker** shows up and puts another bullet in Arnie's shoulder. She corners him in a shower stall, firing off rounds into the tiled wall closer and closer to Arnie's head while shouting, "Where's my grandson?!" before Pamela Reed saves the day by beating Carroll Baker with a baseball bat. Again...this is a kid's movie. But unlike in most of Arnie's adult action movies, the bullets his character takes aren't minor flesh wounds and he's wheeled off in a stretcher while his sad kindergarten students look on. A kid's movie, dude.

* Park is most famous for his role as Mike Yanagita in Fargo, whose awkward lunch with Marge functions as the movie's hinge. He was also on "In Living Color," one of my favorite shows as a kid, where he met his wife, actress Kelly Coffield Park. They're both very sweet people who now live in Brooklyn and we were all regulars at the same coffee shop and had a nice chat one morning in the coffee queue. Michael Cera was also a regular customer, but he would silently sit by himself in a knitted Knicks cap with a little pom pom on top, which he would wear regardless of the season.

** Carroll Baker is rightfully best known for her role in Elia Kazan's Baby Doll (1956), a horny, silly, awesome little movie wherein she's a faux innocent 19-year-old ingenue pursued by Eli Wallach - in his first screen role - who either wants to cuckold her loutish older husband, Karl Malden, or wring a confession out of her that it was Malden who burned down Wallach's competing cotton gin so that Malden could make more money to impress his too young bride into finally sleeping with him after she turns 20. Naturally the script was written by Tennessee Williams.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
I am excited to see One Night in Miami. Anyone seen it yet? Is it available?

It's streaming on Prime. I haven't seen it yet, but it's gotten rave reviews so far.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Quote:
Scott Tobias
@scott_tobias

Gal Gadot is no Lynda Carter

Godot is one of the most beautiful women alive and has almost zero charisma. Lynda Carter had a natural personality, humor, and warmth that came through the screen. Warner Brothers really cast Superman and Wonder Woman poorly.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Great observation. Both actors absolutely look the part and can act, but neither has any magnetism.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Reminds me of when the studio(s) tried desperately to make Julia Ormond a star actress. Nice looking, very good actor, just no chemistry on screen.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

News of the World is the closest thing to a feel good Western I've ever seen.
If you like Westerns, you'll probably love it.
And even if you don't like Westerns. You'll probably still like it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Next up on my movie list is Six Minutes to Midnight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 92 of 189
Jump to: