The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

The comforting thing is that the briliance of The Irishman will outlive Scorsese, Bernie, Omar, me, and LG.com.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
What movies have you walked out on?

I've quit on 300, the Korean film I Saw the Devil (악마를 보았다) (which is good, but a terrible date movie), and now Black Christmas (2019).

What are your walkouts?

There will be blood. Of course, we walked out after about three hours...

You missed the milkshake drinking! And the bowling pin braining!

Tarantino thought Paul Dano was subpar for that role. I thought he was OK. Slimey little hypocritical chosen one type of young preacher. Who else was around to play Eli/Paul? I remember Dano as one of AJ's friends in The Soprano's before that role.

I thought that ending was a bit trite after all the build-up and the depiction of Daniel's descent into madness/depression. It felt cutesy to me to end it like that, especially because a poignant scene where Daniel told his deaf son that he was an orphan came right before it. Beautiful backdrop and filming and DDL is worth the money as always, but very slow paced and then abruptly wrapped up as if they didn't know how to end it. I dunno. Have since reconciled with the ending since the rest of it has worth. Interesting how its rival at The Oscars for Best Pic (No Country For Old Men) had an ending that was so wide open that it turned off a lot of moviegoers who probably enjoyed the end to Blood. They got it right that year by giving Best Pic to No Country and best actor to DDL. That was the necessary middle ground decision to give both works their props.
ariennem
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
The Irishmen... was ok, nothing spectacular, didn't need to be 3 hours long, maybe I set the bar of expectation to high

The Irishman was a long-term project for Martin Scorsese. Many times announced but still postponed, here it is finally materialized thanks to Netflix.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I've quit on 300, the Korean film I Saw the Devil (악마를 보았다) (which is good, but a terrible date movie), and now Black Christmas (2019).

What are your walkouts?

Tarantino thought Paul Dano was subpar for that role. I thought he was OK. Slimey little hypocritical chosen one type of young preacher. Who else was around to play Eli/Paul? I remember Dano as one of AJ's friends in The Soprano's before that role.

I thought that ending was a bit trite after all the build-up and the depiction of Daniel's descent into madness/depression. It felt cutesy to me to end it like that, especially because a poignant scene where Daniel told his deaf son that he was an orphan came right before it. Beautiful backdrop and filming and DDL is worth the money as always, but very slow paced and then abruptly wrapped up as if they didn't know how to end it. I dunno. Have since reconciled with the ending since the rest of it has worth. Interesting how its rival at The Oscars for Best Pic (No Country For Old Men) had an ending that was so wide open that it turned off a lot of moviegoers who probably enjoyed the end to Blood. They got it right that year by giving Best Pic to No Country and best actor to DDL. That was the necessary middle ground decision to give both works their props.

I love both movies so it was a relief to see the Academy with a choice even they couldn't (bleep) up even with the forgettable, zeitgeist-y Juno right there.

Great thoughts, thanks for posting them. The dark comedy of TWBB's ending always cracks me up, especially knowing that Daniel Plainview had the resources to likely buy his way out of cold-blooded murder. A braining of hypocritical religion by cold, vicious capitalism is as American as apple pie or the inexorable violence and wide open vistas of No Country for Old Men. Both are great American movies.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Christina Newland
@christinalefou
Still thinking about Julia Fox’s prodigious ass

https://twitter.com/christinalefou/status/1210284370910732288

Seriously. I cried a little bit when she appears in lingerie. Go see this movie. Horniness is central to all art.

ETA: visual evidence: https://twitter.com/ChloeAIto/status/1210327112327950336
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Greta Gerwig really did something special with Little Women. A delightful, moving adaptation.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Yorick Le Saux flexing on High Life and Little Women this year and probably won't get an Oscar nomination.

And if Todd Phillips gets a Best Director nomination over Greta Gerwig, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences should be burned to the ground.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Greta Gerwig really did something special with Little Women. A delightful, moving adaptation.

No one saw it?

***SPOILERS AHOY***

Critiques of a quite good movie:

1) Poverty is very much told and not shown. Everything feels very, very middle class in sentiment and the Hummels are afterthoughts here more than in the '33 and '94 versions, imo.

2) Beth's death is handled uniquely in a way that usurps her presence and power for that of Ronan's Jo. It's beautiful on first viewing and Daines' Beth is a hard act to follow, but it oddly foregrounds Jo in a movie that's trying to be more democratic wrt screen time for Jo's sisters.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

I saw Little Women friday night and Uncut Gems saturday night. Little Women is easily in my top 5 of the year (along with Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, The Farewell, and Marriage Story). I think I will be seeing it again in theaters.

Uncut Gems was quite the wild ride. And while the movie is gripping and entertaining, Julia Fox is worth the price of admission alone.
Oh, and KG can act pretty good. The big 3 now all have a great acting credit to their name with Uncut Gems, He Got Game, and The Wheelchair Game.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject:

So . . . McNutty says:

The Wire almost had a prequel movie made

Quote:
“We were talking about maybe [making] a movie of The Wire for a while,” he told Empire. “[Series creator David Simon] said it would have to be a prequel, but we were all looking a little long in the tooth.”

Quote:
Last month, actor Clarke Peters, who played veteran detective Lester Freamon in The Wire, said he would be up for a reunion and revealed that he has an idea for a movie starring the show’s original cast members.

Quote:
“I think it needs to be revisited myself. Some of us in the cast have been campaigning for that for the past 10 years,” he told NME. “I would do that only if David [Simon] and Ed Burns [producer] were involved in the writing. But I would do it at the drop of a hat.”
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Saw Parasite this morning. Pretty damn fun.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

ariennem wrote:
governator wrote:
The Irishmen... was ok, nothing spectacular, didn't need to be 3 hours long, maybe I set the bar of expectation to high

The Irishman was a long-term project for Martin Scorsese. Many times announced but still postponed, here it is finally materialized thanks to Netflix.

Yeah, I get the references but the other movies were so long ago. I’m prob the only one, everyone else loved it
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

watched Ford v Ferrari recently...great movie, but they did that thing that irritates me.....they claimed to be in Daytona running the Rolex 24 (or whatever they called it back then), and they definitely were not at Daytona International Speedway.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject:

I love basketball, gambling, and modern films set in NYC.
But for some reason uncut gems wasn’t my cup of tea.
Maybe the vibe was just too frantic for my taste.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
watched Ford v Ferrari recently...great movie, but they did that thing that irritates me.....they claimed to be in Daytona running the Rolex 24 (or whatever they called it back then), and they definitely were not at Daytona International Speedway.

They also showed the hills of Glendale as the Hollywood hills. Meh. I’m guessing they would have used Daytona if they could have.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject:

Best movies of the 2010s that are actually television shows:

Twin Peaks: The Return
OJ: Made in America
Li'l Quinquin
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

What are your walkouts?

I know I’m in a small minority, but I find DDL to be the worst kind of over the top screen chewing “hey look at me I’m acting over here” performer. The kind of guy who think’s Nicholson as the joker was too understated, or thinks Johnny Depp would be a fine actor if he just laid it on a little thicker and talked a little bit more pretentiously about his movie choices. That kind of portrayal has a place (see Gangs of New York), but TWBB seemed to be just him doing an exhaustingly long bit for James Lipton’s masturbatory purposes. It was at once grotesque and boring. I like his work with directors like Mann and Sheridan, who tended to boil off some of his multitude of look at me histrionics.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject:

A Hidden Life: it feels the day after a first viewing like one of the great movies, a culmination of Malick's predilections and talents perfect for this time under Trump and for any future time. It is Days of Heaven meets Song to Song with repititions, elisions, voiceovers, precisely detailed work, grab assery, light, earth, and sky while the main character and his wife struggle through what it means to live both a productive and ethical life in the shadow of immoral power.

Franz Rogowski gives an even more transcendent performance here than he delivered in the excellent Transit, while the film has one of the most intimate, generous kisses ever captured on screen. It's breathtaking, idiosyncratic, exceptional filmmaking from one of the all-time greats at the peak of his powers. Please commit to see it in the theater.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject:

I watched The Art of Racing in the Rain this weekend, and I did not know it was one of those movies where the dog is the narrator like A Dogs Journey. That movie messed me up....I can't handle those movies. I still have not watched the new version of A Dog's Journey because the first one got to me too much. Why does the dog always have to die?!?!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject:

Finally watched Ford v Ferrari and I liked it. I think I would have gone right away to watch it had it been titled something differently to let viewers know it was more of a Ken Miles/Carroll Shelby story than about Le Mans. Bale, as always, did an incredible job. Damon was great too.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Finally watched Ford v Ferrari and I liked it. I think I would have gone right away to watch it had it been titled something differently to let viewers know it was more of a Ken Miles/Carroll Shelby story than about Le Mans. Bale, as always, did an incredible job. Damon was great too.

The over the top Josh Lucas character kind of ruined it for me. I have no idea how historically accurate it is, but it felt like a contrived Hollywood villain.

The Irishman is the best movie I've seen this year; Uncut Gems the most fun (maybe El Camino).

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

The over the top Josh Lucas character kind of ruined it for me. I have no idea how historically accurate it is, but it felt like a contrived Hollywood villain.

The Irishman is the best movie I've seen this year; Uncut Gems the most fun.

He definitely was very cartoonish. Just needed a mustache to twirl.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Most movies that share a title (not re-makes) are polarized in their quality: you get one terrible and one good to great movie.

Crash (2004) - mindless white savior Oscar bait
Crash (1996) - brilliant, horny

Deep Blue Sea (1999) - dumb, so bad it's fun
The Deep Blue Sea (2011) - beautiful, depressing, great

Chocolat (2000) - cloying, boring, wastes Juliette Binoche
Chocolat (1988) - hot, interrogates colonialism, Isaach De Bankolé kills it

Drive (1997) - idk, straight to VHS crap
Drive (2011) - wtf, classic art grindhouse

One of the rare exceptions is Bad Boys (1995) and Bad Boys (1983), which are both pretty okay depending on if you want a light-hearted, dumb, buddy action comedy or a searing, somewhat self-serious drama about Sean Penn surviving in juvie.

Which brings me to Leviathan (2012) and Leviathan (2014) - both very different and almost equally excellent. The former is a visual documentary aboard a fishing vessel off the coast of New England while the latter is a Russian family drama about a patriarch who takes on a corrupt local official. Both are gorgeous, patient, and chilling - one as an almost wordless depiction of man versus nature and the other as a verbose exploration of our powerlessness in the face of corrupt institutions. Check 'em both out, and unlike with the examples above, you don't have to worry about selecting the wrong movie.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Watched the Michael Bay Netflix movie "6 Underground" with Ryan Reynolds. It is your typical Michael Bay film....a lot of high speed car chases, car wrecks, and explosions. It kind of felt like a Fast & Furious wannabe, but if you are looking for solid action flick over the holidays in your living room, it is worth checking out. I will not be surprised if Netflix attempts to franchise it with sequels.

Finally saw it, and boy is it excessive, incoherent, gonzo, ugly, annoying, and fun because of it. Michael Bay unshackled from a PG-13 rating can't even bring himself to show a nipple, but he'll show you the bloody mess left after indistinguishable bad guy #224 has his head blown off by a flash bang grenade stuffed in his mouth. I think Bay embraces the violent nihilistic sadism Tarantino gets accused of loving.

Anyway, Ryan Reynolds is a motormouth billionaire who decides to "do good in the world" by faking his own death and recruiting a similar team of "ghosts" to take down despotic foreign leaders. The plot doesn't make much sense, there are unnecessary flashbacks, an unnecessary voiceover, a lot of dumb, semi-serious, repetitive pontificating about what it means to be a "ghost," some shoehorned F&F-style "we're a family" nonsense, and 3-4 fast cut, nausea inducing, pretty cool action sequences that make it watchable-ish. It's unrestrained American excess like if Mark Zuckerberg turned into Deadpool and murdered Kim Jong Un. Great trash.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject:

I am going to go home for the holidays this weekend and proudly watch the terrible, moronic insanity of Cats with family rather than the focus grouped mediocrity of the latest Star Wars. Please clap.

Never watched it. Anyone here actually check it out?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 49 of 189
Jump to: