The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

watched hangman last night on HBOMAX. Pacino.

he was such an amazing actor as I was growing up. To the point i used to watch his movies that predated me.

hes just a tough watch for me. Its watchable but so flawed
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Sling Blade is a great movie

Yoakum stole the show behind Sling Blade himself. He was an ahole, mmm hm! I always thot Dwight nabbed the robber role in Panic Room because of his bona fides from Sling Blade (mm hmm).

I had me some of them French fried taaaters, mm hmm...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Yoakum stole the show behind Sling Blade himself. He was an ahole, mmm hm! I always thot Dwight nabbed the robber role in Panic Room because of his bona fides from Sling Blade (mm hmm).

I love me some actor Yoakam. He's in the new Eastwood movie, Cry Macho, and when he popped up in the trailer I immediately mentally pre-ordered my ticket.

Dwight is so key to the beautiful mixture of grounded and otherworldly tones to that movie which elevates it above most Sundance nonsense. He's a pure, unconquerable devil and a pathetic mean old drunk who can be killed with one stroke of a lawnmower blade. Chilling (bleep).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject:

James Gunn's Suicide Squad has the same runtime as Unforgiven.

The use of Jim Carroll's "People who Died" offends me to my core.

"Bobby got leukemia, fourteen years old
He looked like sixty five when he died
He was a friend of mine"

Hahahaha! That should be a punchline in my comic book picture!

ETA: Terrible movie.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject:

I watched Don't Breath. It didn't have blood and guts. It was filled with suspense. I wonder how Don't Breath II will link the two?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I love me some actor Yoakam. He's in the new Eastwood movie, Cry Macho, and when he popped up in the trailer I immediately mentally pre-ordered my ticket.

Dwight is so key to the beautiful mixture of grounded and otherworldly tones to that movie which elevates it above most Sundance nonsense. He's a pure, unconquerable devil and a pathetic mean old drunk who can be killed with one stroke of a lawnmower blade. Chilling (bleep).

He was amusing in a pathetic way on top of that and one of my favorite scenes was the scene with his band where he lorded over them the same as his family.

I typically see Eastwood productions. The last one I saw just the other day was The Bridges Of Madison County. Never saw it before, it was typical Clint, solid love story, solid yearning for love story, solid foregone passions/hungers story, solid aging people story, solid amends and apologies story. I wasn't mature enough to even approach that in 1995. I also re-re-watched Unforgiven recently. Probably saw it thrice in the last monthish. Sadly, I don't think he's gonna reach that height w/ any of his remaining productions, but I did like and appreciate Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino, and The Mule.

Most recent of his that I very much liked was American Sniper, tho I know all the quibbles about the realism and tone of it. I'm not as concerned w/ that as I am w/ Cooper's acting and the script/concept/war scenes. I guess I was mildly surprised by it because I found myself much more interested by the scenes of Bradley Cooper feeling the effects of war and liked the heart rate scene, the neo-natal ward scene where he was banging on the window for the nurse, and the scene where he grabs the dog at a party. And Cooper is a great actor, but he's really good in talk therapy scenes at conveying a shut-off guy pushing down demons as also evidenced in The Place Beyond The Pines.

I had seen the Gandolfini HBO special called Alive Day (iirc). Gandolfini interviewed a couple of the ex-war fighters who were in the last scenes before Chris Kyle's death, so I had already heard their individual stories. The guy whose arm was spared by lighting a cigarette at the moment an IED went off told his actual story in the film. I think the film was more than the sum of its parts. It wasn't all just a hagiography of Chris Kyle like critics said. There was some merit to it in depicting some of the things that happen to these people after multiple tours.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Bennifer 2: Badonkaccino!

I was hoping it was gonna be the scene in Anaconda with J'Lo in a sheer nightie, but I might've fainted if you didn't warn me first. He was 100 re Ashley in Heat tho.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I was hoping it was gonna be the scene in Anaconda with J'Lo in a sheer nightie, but I might've fainted if you didn't warn me first. He was 100 re Ashley in Heat tho.

I wish I could find a decent clip online of Lopez in Stone's U-Turn hanging up a picture in a short orange sun dress. But that whole movie is gangbusters if you just want to see Jennifer Lopez be eye meltingly hot. Very formative movie of my youth.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject:

The Suicide Squad was 17 shades of weird. Gory deaths, blood splatters all over the place. If you're into CGI you'll appreciate the film. For such a weird movie the CAST has some surprising notables.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Suicide Squad was 17 shades of weird. Gory deaths, blood splatters all over the place. If you're into CGI you'll appreciate the film. For such a weird movie the CAST has some surprising notables.

The first one was really dumb and juvenile. I liked it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I didn’t want to give it a try. 1st one was sooo bad.

But my lady wanted to give it a shot. And it was a good movie! I was surprised!

It was worth the watch.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I wish I could find a decent clip online of Lopez in Stone's U-Turn hanging up a picture in a short orange sun dress. But that whole movie is gangbusters if you just want to see Jennifer Lopez be eye meltingly hot. Very formative movie of my youth.

There was a flick of Alba's from 98/99ish when she was at her pinnacle where she was in white panteez and they showed a side view. :shivers:
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

U-Turn twisted and turned until the end. I didn't know what to expect next. Grace was spreading it around. I'm not sure. Was Jake, Grace's father? The climax was classic.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

There was a flick of Alba's from 98/99ish when she was at her pinnacle where she was in white panteez and they showed a side view. :shivers:

She was either coming from or going to a workout. LINK This was around 2019. Much ado is made about Jennifer's body, it overshadows she's a talented woman.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

I rewatched The Devil's Advocate. Al Pacino is a versatile actor. He's among those in the business who haven't been typecast. Charlize Theron also displayed her ability to act. Keanu Reeves isn't bad either. Another movie with supernatural embedded. The movie is a rewatch.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I rewatched The Devil's Advocate. Al Pacino is a versatile actor. He's among those in the business who haven't been typecast. Charlize Theron also displayed her ability to act. Keanu Reeves isn't bad either. Another movie with supernatural embedded. The movie is a rewatch.

My fave scene is when Al/Devil tells the guy on the subway in Spanish that his wife is doing crack w/ Carlos and getting buggered on his special green bedspread and that he should go home and put that box cutter where it belongs.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject:

A Mel Brooks film I watch over and over SPACEBALLS He was a master of comedy. He's still alive. He's 95. I wonder if he's still active?

EDIT
LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
A Mel Brooks film I watch over and over SPACEBALLS He was a master of comedy. He's still alive. He's 95. I wonder if he's still active?

He actually has a book/memoir coming out this fall, it’s called “All About Me”. I’m sure it has some great stories
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

If murder mystery is to your liking I recommend "Knives Out". It's about a dependent family and greed. Stars Daniel Craig. He's a good actor. His accent was amusing It's a Whodunit CAST

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject:

Suicide squad the sequel was pretty fun to watch

Trying to finish Zack Snyder JL 4hr film now, 1 hr down, good stuff
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

he was such an amazing actor as I was growing up. To the point i used to watch his movies that predated me.

He is a great actor he made Scarface. The Pacino drawl is very distinguishable. Is there going to be a Hangman II? The ending left the door open.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
[Pacino] is a great actor he made Scarface.

The Godfather I&II, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon and Crusing say, "Hello".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Suicide squad the sequel was pretty fun to watch

Trying to finish Zack Snyder JL 4hr film now, 1 hr down, good stuff

Long but pretty good, entertaining enough, very thanos vs avengers but feels like Superman/Batman been around much longer, at least for me, they’re the big ones in the 80s. Both on HBO Max btw
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

He is a great actor he made Scarface. The Pacino drawl is very distinguishable. Is there going to be a Hangman II? The ending left the door open.

No, it was rightfully a critical and economic dud.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

it just feels like every line out of his mouth sounds like his
"Shes got a great arse" from heat.

Watched
Mean streets
There will be blood. ( Havent seen since originally released. So good).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 131 of 189
Jump to: