The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone besides myself catch the movie Capone?

Very strange movie, it is like you choose an interesting topic and then focus the entire premise on the most uninteresting facets of said topic.

I really like Tom Hardy, but honestly this role felt forced to me as a "method acting" mumbling mess.

Am I off here? Did anyone actually enjoy this movie?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Very strange movie, it is like you choose an interesting topic and then focus the entire premise on the most uninteresting facets of said topic.

I really like Tom Hardy, but honestly this role felt forced to me as a "method acting" mumbling mess.

You nailed it with the bolded.
Why would a studio approve that?
I should right a script about Babe Ruth. But it won't be him playing baseball. It'll be about Babe Ruth the lightning rod salesman (before he played professional baseball).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I tried watching it. I couldn't stay with it. I'll try again.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Well, mother! officially ended Darren Aronofsky's career. He's now a Disney+ director.

This "content" sucks.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Thinking of going back in time to kill baby Walt Disney.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

This "content" sucks.

I’m surprised there’s such an appetite for “content”. It’s the cynical exploitation of people’s memories but to each their own. Feel like in the streaming wars nobody wins but we all sorta lose.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

You nailed it with the bolded.
Why would a studio approve that?
I should right a script about Babe Ruth. But it won't be him playing baseball. It'll be about Babe Ruth the lightning rod salesman (before he played professional baseball).

Exactly, I cannot believe a studio green lighted that movie.

Babe Ruth the lightning rod salesman is a perfect analogy, who the heck would want to watch that and see nothing of his "cool" stuff?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

This "content" sucks.

I’m surprised there’s such an appetite for “content”. It’s the cynical exploitation of people’s memories but to each their own. Feel like in the streaming wars nobody wins but we all sorta lose.

It's hard to parse out what came first - the studios or the audience - in this situation. I guess it's symbiotic. A reboot of "80s classic" Turner & Hooch is a throwaway 30 Rock gag come to life and is so nakedly cynical I'm almost impressed at the cultural nihilism.

Barry Jenkins goes from directing an Academy Award winning movie about the life of a young, gay black man to adapting a James Baldwin novel about young black lovers fighting to love against the oppression of a white supremacist state to directing a Lion King prequel that may go straight to streaming on Disney+.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

This "content" sucks.

It's hard to parse out what came first - the studios or the audience - in this situation. I guess it's symbiotic. A reboot of "80s classic" Turner & Hooch is a throwaway 30 Rock gag come to life and is so nakedly cynical I'm almost impressed at the cultural nihilism.

Barry Jenkins goes from directing an Academy Award winning movie about the life of a young, gay black man to adapting a James Baldwin novel about young black lovers fighting to love against the oppression of a white supremacist state to directing a Lion King prequel that may go straight to streaming on Disney+.

People like what is familiar, I suppose. That has been most evident in the discourse around Star Wars the last few years where any shift away from the sacred text was met with such preposterous hostility. Yesterday they announced roughly 73 new Star Wars Disney+ series and the broad Star Wars fan base is celebrating it like these are going to be quality endeavors. I think it’s all fine as long as there’s a place for me and a place for them. I’m actually optimistic about what this stuff and the WB bombshell mean for theaters. I think it’s high time theaters become more niche, more about the communal experience, and more tailored to the people that really love being there. If you’ve been to the Downtown Drafthouse you’ll know what I’m talking about. They’ve got great programming and events, a community of people who love movies, and they’ll throw you the (bleep) out if you start texting. I think that’s where things are headed. Less mega multiplexes. More intimate experiences. The people who want to watch Season 8 of the Star Wars show where they are really being faithful to established canon from the extended universe comics (which means it’s good, of course) can do so from the comfort of their home. Could be a win-win.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Came across René Zellweger’s remarkable portrayal of late life Judy Garland. Was a surprising treat.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject:

@ Ocho, while i do love the atmosphere and policy of Drafthouse, I enjoy the audio/video offered at the AMC Dolby/IMAX theaters more. I hope we are headed to a place where both types of theaters stay in business but at-home options will help keep those texters and talkers out of the theaters. I would even be on board with a price hike to help discourage those kind of moviegoers.

I don’t mind seeing a classic or a new release of “cinema” like Parasite at drafthouse but I’d much rather see a 1917 or Tenet type film somewhere that will enhance the experience.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
@ Ocho, while i do love the atmosphere and policy of Drafthouse, I enjoy the audio/video offered at the AMC Dolby/IMAX theaters more. I hope we are headed to a place where both types of theaters stay in business but at-home options will help keep those texters and talkers out of the theaters. I would even be on board with a price hike to help discourage those kind of moviegoers.

I don’t mind seeing a classic or a new release of “cinema” like Parasite at drafthouse but I’d much rather see a 1917 or Tenet type film somewhere that will enhance the experience.

I agree with you about sound and scale and I think there will be theaters that offer it. I just think giant multiplex chains aren’t going to be able to survive anymore.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:

This "content" sucks.

People like what is familiar, I suppose. That has been most evident in the discourse around Star Wars the last few years where any shift away from the sacred text was met with such preposterous hostility. Yesterday they announced roughly 73 new Star Wars Disney+ series and the broad Star Wars fan base is celebrating it like these are going to be quality endeavors. I think it’s all fine as long as there’s a place for me and a place for them. I’m actually optimistic about what this stuff and the WB bombshell mean for theaters. I think it’s high time theaters become more niche, more about the communal experience, and more tailored to the people that really love being there. If you’ve been to the Downtown Drafthouse you’ll know what I’m talking about. They’ve got great programming and events, a community of people who love movies, and they’ll throw you the (bleep) out if you start texting. I think that’s where things are headed. Less mega multiplexes. More intimate experiences. The people who want to watch Season 8 of the Star Wars show where they are really being faithful to established canon from the extended universe comics (which means it’s good, of course) can do so from the comfort of their home. Could be a win-win.

I agree with you, but I don't think either of us live in a movie desert. My parents post retirement do live in a movie desert, and having the local AMC shut down or turned into a Disney only theater following SCOTUS' gutting of Paramount means I don't get get to see Gerwig's Little Women with my mom on Christmas day 2019, which is a moment I'll treasure for the rest of my life. I saw Ad Astra with a buddy in a packed far flung university town Regal and I can't imagine trading that experience for James Gunn's Suicide Squad sequel. Does Parasite win an Oscar in the new streaming world order?

Without the communal experience of theaters for non-franchise IP blockbusters from multinational media conglomerates I do worry that everything that takes a risk in Hollywood will be consigned to being television whether it's a 90 minutes Netflix or a five year run on Showtime. Or else it's low budget digital festival circuit flicks that hit the Alamo Drafthouse in a handful of American cities. I'm an old man yelling at clouds and reminiscing about tying an onion to my belt, and while I think both Hollywood studios and national theater chains both (bleep) up a golden goose, I don't understand the popular impulse to watch Hubie Halloween on one's phone let alone The Irishman.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject:

Smaller markets will suffer disproportionately, I agree. That’s heartbreaking, but inevitable I’m afraid. In terms of riskier fare being consigned to streaming boxes, I think we are pretty much already there. I don’t think most people realize how much money goes into promoting a movie’s release. Netflix just has to drop it on the front page and a bajillion people will watch it. The toothpaste is out of the tube.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Smaller markets will suffer disproportionately, I agree. That’s heartbreaking, but inevitable I’m afraid. In terms of riskier fare being consigned to streaming boxes, I think we are pretty much already there. I don’t think most people realize how much money goes into promoting a movie’s release. Netflix just has to drop it on the front page and a bajillion people will watch it. The toothpaste is out of the tube.

The Netflix distribution channel doubles as its advertising channel, it's remarkable in that it is super cheap, super efficient and very effective. The studios never found that secret formula for advertising; traditional television advertising, posters and even an attempt with social networks/Internet advertising ("Snakes on the Plane") never seemed to move the needle appreciably.

If I had to guess, 35% of the total production cost probably goes into advertising and promotion.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Costello: brilliant verbal and physical comedian; a key link in the chain of great American fat man comedians from Fatty Arbuckle to pre-weight-loss Jonah Hill; an objectively beautiful male specimen.

Abbott: a useless funny suck; a pandering simp of a straight man; ugly, pointless dead weight; a homeless man's David Spade.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Even as ATT/Time Warner proceeds to kill the Hollywood theatrical experience, as HBO Max finally pays its way to be on Roku, let me note how wonderful its streaming library is now that I can access it without routing between three different devices.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:

Lovers Rock is really great.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Remember the Night is a Christmas movie. A damn good one.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:

Anybody seen King of New York ?

I see it has Christopher Walken, Laurence Fishburne, Wesley Snipes, Giancarlo Esposito, and Steve Buscemi. What a cast.

But judging by the IMDB reviews I have no idea what to expect. 1/2 say it's amazing, the other 1/2 say it's nothing special. It's directed by Abel Ferrara, someone I'm not familiar with. But apparently a well known filmmaker.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I see it has Christopher Walken, Laurence Fishburne, Wesley Snipes, Giancarlo Esposito, and Steve Buscemi. What a cast.

But judging by the IMDB reviews I have no idea what to expect. 1/2 say it's amazing, the other 1/2 say it's nothing special. It's directed by Abel Ferrara, someone I'm not familiar with. But apparently a well known filmmaker.

It's a good place to start with Ferrara, maybe his most accessible movie and better than most of his studio fare. I think it's a fun time with Walken and Fishburne going gonzo, lots of gore and cocaine, and the cops being as evil and corrupt as the drug lords.

Spoiler Alert!!!

Jimmy Jump orders chicken:

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

If you go in expecting The Godfather, then you'll be disappointed.

Did you ever see Deep Cover? Same deal, same era.

Mid 90s coke mob movie. It's ok. You won't be a better person for watching it, but you won't feel like you wasted your time. Will you want to do it again? Probably not but you won't complain much if you do.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Lovers Rock is really great.

I can concur. This movie reaffirms humanity. It also happens to have the greatest soundtrack in recent memory. I may be crazy but this reminded me of Bela Tarr's Satantango, or one extended sequence in that film (I suppose every scene is an "extended" sequence in a 7 1/2 hour film). If you've seen it, you may know what I mean.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Commodified fantasy takes no risks: it invents nothing, but imitates and trivializes. It proceeds by depriving the old stories of their intellectual and etical complexity, turning their action to violence, their actors to dolls, and their truth-telling to sentimental platitude. Heroes brandish their swords, lasers, wands, as mechanically as combine harvesters, reaping profits. Profoundly disturbing moral choices are sanitized, made cute, made safe. The passionately conceived ideas of the great storytellers are copied, stereotyped, reduced to toys molded in bright-colored plastic, advertised, sold, broken, junked, replaceable, interchangeable.

What the commodifiers of fantasy count on and exploit is the insuperable imagination of the reader, child or adult, which gives even these dead things life – of a sort, for a while.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Seriously. What happened to Nicholas cage?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 88 of 189
Jump to: