Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Saw the following movies recently....

Knives Out - very entertaining murder mystery gave it an A-

Ford v Ferrari - hot damn Christian Bale is amazing. Great entertainment and great story. Gave it an A
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject:

The singular, brilliant Anna Karina, goddess of the nouvelle vague, has passed away at age 79.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The singular, brilliant Anna Karina, goddess of the nouvelle vague, has passed away at age 79.

Virve sa Vie

Pierrot Le Fou

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Jesus, The Laundromat is bad.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

this is a film, or as they are called where I am from, movie to get excited about....

https://twitter.com/TomCruise/status/1206559669130612736
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I haven’t seen it (and won’t) but this Richard Jewel movie has to be one of the most insidious releases of 2019, right?

I am going to watch it in a theater and will report back. The second half of 15:17 to Paris and The Mule has me warming back up to old Clint.

flopped big time opening this past weekend
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:
I haven’t seen it (and won’t) but this Richard Jewel movie has to be one of the most insidious releases of 2019, right?

I am going to watch it in a theater and will report back. The second half of 15:17 to Paris and The Mule has me warming back up to old Clint.

I didn't make it in this weekend due to other (bleep). I'm gonna try to see it tonight before it gets steamrolled out of theaters by Star Wars.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

FYC: go check out Dark Waters in a theater before Disney strangles the box office this weekend:

Quote:
Dark Waters is at once a legal thriller, an environmental disaster movie, and a dramatized historical document of a region, spanning decades, from the atomic age to present. On its face, such a project, set primarily in corporate offices, might seem an unlikely fit for Todd Haynes. The director has been on occasion criticized by some for primarily setting his films in the past, as though he has little to say about the present. But with Dark Waters, Haynes provides perhaps his greatest justification for continually returning to his period obsessions. This is a film about how the impact and legacy of post-World War II America and the trappings of American domesticity remain all around us in products, in our air, our land, and our water. Haynes delivers these inescapable facts with both dread and clarity. Dark Waters unsettlingly shows us the widespread sins and culpability that connect us to a past that cannot be undone.

[...]

Dark Waters may well be one of the first post-Trump American films that, without explicitly referencing him, addresses why certain regions of the country, such as Appalachia, turned against their own interests. Haynes presents a grim picture of how institutions, governments, and systems failed, mostly because these institutions let big business make or rewrite the rules, or move the goalposts, all while knowingly exposing working people and everyday consumers to poisons irreversibly altering our world. How can anyone continue to trust those in power, and why should one not trust the outsider instead? There could have been a more commercially palatable, Hollywood-friendly David versus Goliath version of this story, but Haynes has chosen instead to make a film that will get under people’s skin, one that avoids whitewashing bleak diagnoses on the environment and entrenched systems of power. Haynes’s political anger has never felt more palpable and direct. Ultimately, Dark Waters is exactly the type of film we should expect Todd Haynes to make: one fueled by the drive to do what must be done, however thankless.

Link: Reverse Shot
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

Watched Joker last night. Was disappointed with the story line. I was expecting to see more of the Batman character. The Thomas and Martha Wayne shooting signaled the beginning of Batman. That was the only reference to Joker of that fame.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Watched Joker last night. Was disappointed with the story line. I was expecting to see more of the Batman character. The Thomas and Martha Wayne signaled the beginning of Batman. That was the only reference to Joker of that fame.

Might have something to do with how it was about the origin of the Joker
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Watched Joker last night. Was disappointed with the story line. I was expecting to see more of the Batman character. The Thomas and Martha Wayne signaled the beginning of Batman. That was the only reference to Joker of that fame.

After the shooting of Thomas and Martha Wayne I surmised that to be.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

So at the end of the movie you realized the movie was about the Joker?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I guess we know who the real Joker was in that theater.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I knew that from the beginning. I expected more of a Batman connection. The Wayne shooting was more a Batman beginning.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Saw Irishman last week at the old Frida theater in Santa Ana. It was super long and super slow but I wish it was even longer and slower. Loved that (bleep). Wish it lasted days.

The whole movie is the good grape juice.

Nice one. Just watched it and I wholeheartedly agree. A perfect movie. The length did not bother me one bit.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I knew that from the beginning. I expected more of a Batman connection. The Wayne shooting was more a Batman beginning.

Right. But that's the point. A Joker origin story isn't going to have much Batman because Batman didn't exist at the time, since he was created by the nascent Joker long after Joker's origin had happened.

It's like wishing for more Desert Storm in a movie about the lead up to 911.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Right. But that's the point. A Joker origin story isn't going to have much Batman because Batman didn't exist at the time, since he was created by the nascent Joker long after Joker's origin had happened.

It's like wishing for more Desert Storm in a movie about the lead up to 911.

I watched the movie with expectations that weren't met. I didn't go in thinking the beginning of Joker. I went it thinking Joker was already. From the beginning I knew what the movie was about. It wasn't what I expected.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Probably why no mention of Super Man either. I liked the story, and how they did actually tie it into the Batman story....but i was not crazy about the movie. I just felt sorry for the guy the whole movie.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Probably why no mention of Super Man either. I liked the story, and how they did actually tie it into the Batman story....but i was not crazy about the movie. I just felt sorry for the guy the whole movie.
By the Batman I meant the Joker depicted in Batman. .

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Watched The Irishman today. Good acting by old school actors. Makeup was awesome. Violence was gangsta. Enjoyed the film.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:

I didn't make it in this weekend due to other (bleep). I'm gonna try to see it tonight before it gets steamrolled out of theaters by Star Wars.

Sad to report: damn good Hollywood movie. The misogynistic caricature of AJC reporter Kathy Scruggs (Wilde) is ugly. Not even going to defend it. And I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more incel hype/panic than Joker did as Eastwood and screenwriter Ray pit hot villains Hamm and Wilde against schlubby failure Jewell (Paul Walter Hauser).

But there's a deep well of humanism here in the nuanced portrait of Jewell who is every bit the socially awkward badge humper kicked down the ladder of law enforcement from cop to security guard because every time he had some authority he overzealously abused his petty power. He's shown stumbling into his heroic moment by cosplaying as a police offer while actual cops ignore him or treat him like a mascot.

The movie also gets how Jewell's appearance, socioeconomic status, and social ineptitude made him an easy mark because he "just seemed like a creep," that because he's a conventional loser his life is cheap. I don't know how to reconcile that humanism with the dehumanizing portrayal of Scruggs, but the contradiction makes it messier and more interesting than most Hollywood fare. It's a movie that has little time for nuance when it comes to the media but cares very much about the contradictions inherent in law enforcement that I found interesting and at a couple points quite rousing - always, always ask for an attorney, then shut up and let your lawyer do the talking.

Eastwood has easy mastery behind the camera with a bravura lead up to the bombing that includes a crane shot of a crowd doing the "Macarena" and gets three of the best performances of the year out of Hauser, Kathy Bates as his mother, and Sam Rockwell as his attorney. I found it moving in several stretches. It's good and flawed, which is sometimes the best kind of good.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Folks online complaining about all the driving scenes in OUATIH being unnecessary clearly have never lived in Southern California. Tarantino makes driving beautiful throughout the movie.

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1206374029386539009
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
this is a film, or as they are called where I am from, movie to get excited about....

This looks so much better than the terrible original film.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

Watched the Michael Bay Netflix movie "6 Underground" with Ryan Reynolds. It is your typical Michael Bay film....a lot of high speed car chases, car wrecks, and explosions. It kind of felt like a Fast & Furious wannabe, but if you are looking for solid action flick over the holidays in your living room, it is worth checking out. I will not be surprised if Netflix attempts to franchise it with sequels.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

This looks so much better than the terrible original film.

I can no longer troll adkindo, sadly. Tony Scott obviously could not direct a bad movie if he had tried.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 47 of 189
Jump to: