Why do people speed up to block you from changing lanes when they see your turn signal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has this happened to you before?
Yes, all the time.
45%
 45%  [ 21 ]
Yes, occasionally.
43%
 43%  [ 20 ]
Yes, rarely.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
No, never.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I look for an open space ahead and then take it. I signal, but I'm not asking if I can get over and hoping someone slows down to let me in because, yeah, if you do that a lot of drivers will speed up. And if you take way too long to move over, then that's on you. People will be done with you and move past you.

My general rule with dealing with other drivers is that I don't know what you've been through that day. You do something stupid, you're a little confused, I'm not mad, I'm not going to aggressively make a point. I'm going to assume that you could be having a really bad day, so I'm patient with you and I'll try to help as much as I can. I don't remember the last time I've used my horn.

People drive like their personalities quite a bit. A-holes drive like a-holes. Impatient people drive impatiently. If you're being overly aggressive and dangerous that annoys me. You can be aggressive and safe. Most of us are like that.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Bay Area drivers are terrible, second only to Las Vegas.

Now that I have family in Vegas and have really gotten familiar with Vegas drivers over the past several years, I agree. Vegas drivers are the worst. I haven't figured out why yet. It really doesn't make sense to me because it's not any worse roads or traffic than anywhere else. Sure, you do see the occasional out of state car pulled over to the side of the road with someone dressed up and upchucking, but so many of the accidents I see are Vegas drivers.

Friend of mine had a tow truck business in Vegas and was so busy. He moved out to SoCal and has to really hustle to make it work like he did in Vegas. Crazy.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

carpool lane hackers

https://i.imgur.com/dArjivl.jpg
die
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

I know that when I'm driving on Highway 5, and the fast lane is one long string of cars that appear to be endless in front of me and behind me, and I am cutting some slack to the guy in front of me by not riding his bumper, when someone behind me swerves out into the slow lane in an attempt to gain 100 feet or so, I might let one guy get away with it--though I might not cut him as much slack in spacing as the guy before him--but if the next guy tries it, he ain't gettin' in.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

They should make it illegal to cruise in the left most lane.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Most states actually have laws against it, but most people don't obey the "Left Lane to Pass Only" rule and highway patrol seldom enforces it.

For dealing with traffic gangsters, these devices would be indespensible:

Traffic Gangster Repellent
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
It's so much worse in other countries, but I don't understand why different parts of WeHo have to be that terrible.

Also, when the light turns green, sometimes I'll wait the extra 2 seconds and look both ways. Legit saved me from 4 different accidents. The last guy trying to beat the red is always delayed and doesn't even floor it hard enough.

Beating a red light doesn't make sense to me. Average time for a red light is around 120 seconds. You may have to sit for 2 minutes. Try to beat one, kill someone, live with it a lifetime.

It's almost mandatory where I'm currently living. Centinela Ave has a lot of disconnected cross-streets which means more stop lights. People speed up to beat the first stop light but the second one is so close to the first they don't have time to slow down and just run it. There are three schools and a bus stop in the immediate area.

In regard to the OPs question, I don't block people who signal but I usually block the ones who wait until the last minute to get over to their exit lane. It drives me nuts seeing these drivers hold up everyone behind them because they want to merge in at the front just to get ahead of a few cars. I see this all the time at freeway interchanges.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
It's so much worse in other countries, but I don't understand why different parts of WeHo have to be that terrible.

Also, when the light turns green, sometimes I'll wait the extra 2 seconds and look both ways. Legit saved me from 4 different accidents. The last guy trying to beat the red is always delayed and doesn't even floor it hard enough.

Beating a red light doesn't make sense to me. Average time for a red light is around 120 seconds. You may have to sit for 2 minutes. Try to beat one, kill someone, live with it a lifetime.

It's almost mandatory where I'm currently living. Centinela Ave has a lot of disconnected cross-streets which means more stop lights. People speed up to beat the first stop light but the second one is so close to the first they don't have time to slow down and just run it. There are three schools and a bus stop in the immediate area.

In regard to the OPs question, I don't block people who signal but I usually block the ones who wait until the last minute to get over to their exit lane. It drives me nuts seeing these drivers hold up everyone behind them because they want to merge in at the front just to get ahead of a few cars. I see this all the time at freeway interchanges.

Centinela and La Brea is a nightmare. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
carpool lane hackers

die

my carpool lane hack is limo tent on back windows with baby on board sticker

they need to just do away with HOV lanes all together and just open it up to everyone. Nearly everybody in the hov lanes are not really carpooling in the spirit of intent anyway. They are simply a family driving together. Why does a family driving to the mall deserve to get preferred lane access over a solo driver going to work?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
carpool lane hackers

die

they need to just do away with HOV lanes all together and just open it up to everyone. Nearly everybody in the hov lanes are not really carpooling in the spirit of intent anyway. They are simply a family driving together. Why does a family driving to the mall deserve to get preferred lane access over a solo driver going to work?

HOV purpose is the cut down on traffic. HOV lanes supposedly reduce congestion and harmful emissions because they encourage ride sharing and transit use.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
carpool lane hackers

die

HOV purpose is the cut down on traffic. HOV lanes supposedly reduce congestion and harmful emissions because they encourage ride sharing and transit use.

from my understanding the stats that try to claim HOV lanes make traffic better compared to having just a extra lane try to factor in that without HOV lanes there will magically be some BS % of more cars on the road.
There is value to having a designated lane or 2 that cars cant just constantly keep jumping in and out which does reduce overall traffic flow but that doesnt have to be entitled to just people with more than one person in the car.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
carpool lane hackers

die

from my understanding the stats that try to claim HOV lanes make traffic better compared to having just a extra lane try to factor in that without HOV lanes there will magically be some BS % of more cars on the road.
There is value to having a designated lane or 2 that cars cant just constantly keep jumping in and out which does reduce overall traffic flow but that doesnt have to be entitled to just people with more than one person in the car.

Creating a extra lane would involve taking property from land owners. That would mean using the power of eminent domain. That's a power I have issues with.

Traffic, like many other things, has become a money making tool. Here in Los Angeles and other counties toll lanes are springing up. Wouldn't surprise me if cities don't institute freeway entry fee under the guise of using the money for improvements.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Most states actually have laws against it, but most people don't obey the "Left Lane to Pass Only" rule and highway patrol seldom enforces it.

I thought the law that was already in place, that isn’t enforced, was driving SLOW, in the left lane.

I’m saying it doesn’t matter how fast or slow, no cruising/driving and passing only.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I thought the law that was already in place, that isn’t enforced, was driving SLOW, in the left lane.

I’m saying it doesn’t matter how fast or slow, no cruising/driving and passing only.

Common practice and most law on United States highways is that the left lane is reserved for passing and faster moving traffic, and that traffic using the left lane must yield to traffic wishing to overtake. ... In California, at least, there is no prohibition against cruising in the left lane.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Common practice and most law on United States highways is that the left lane is reserved for passing and faster moving traffic, and that traffic using the left lane must yield to traffic wishing to overtake. ... In California, at least, there is no prohibition against cruising in the left lane.

I call those drivers "luxury laners" they want to drive slower but don't want that crowded sensation of driving in the lane with other slow drivers and freight trucks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: