3-Point Shooting: Lakers still in need of Snipers / Ranked 29th in 3-PT Made and Percetage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
The Logo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
This was my least favorite thing about the roster construction, is that in hinges on hoping a lot of guys find a regular 3 point shot this year - Lonzo, KCP, Ingram, Randle, Nance, Zubac...

However this was a preseason game where everyone seemed exhausted and their shot was off. Hoping in the coming games guys hit shots. If not, this is gonna be a really rough season.

We were 5-30 from downtown and right there at the end despite being short handed , little practice time, and against a veteran playoff team.

I wouldn't take much from it, and I am confident we will not shoot 17% from downtown as a team.

The fact that we have one player who shot at league average from three last year is more indicative than a 5/30 shooting night. I'll wait to see a larger sample size from Lonzo, Ingram, Randle, and Nance before making any assumptions, but they're the ones who are going to have to prove they're sustainable shooters before I change my view on this team being a bad shooting team

Exactly where my head's at. And I do think that despite the talent upgrades in KCP and Lopez, if none of these guys can shoot from distance respectably, I could really see this team struggling to break 30 wins.

Not saying that's likely, just saying I could see it happening if this team can't really shoot this year. Seriously, how are they utilizing Lonzo's strengths if they don't have guys who can shoot? Why bother having a coach from the Warriors? I have some concerns here.

The spacing last night in the starting lineup was pretty bad. Despite both working on their three point shots, neither Randle/Nance provided a semblance of spacing that Lopez is able to provide. Even with the addition to Lopez, if no one can shoot aside from him, the paint will still be clogged, which is why I'd be fine with Kuzma being integrated in the starting lineup. Our only real three point threat was Ingram last night, because he hit a couple of early threes. We're getting tested early against playoff caliber teams in Minnesota and Denver, but I feel like 30 wins is a stretch also, especially if Lopez misses time this year.

But I do want to reiterate that I think that 30 wins is a stretch if none of the following guys are hitting 3s respectably: Lonzo, Randle, KCP, Nance, JC, Ingram. The kind of scary thought is that it's a legit possibility that's the case this year.

Hard to see this team being a 30+ win team if only Lopez & Kuzma are good 3 point shooters. A couple guys listed above absolutely have to pick up the slack or a trade needs to happen this year if the front office wants this team to look like they're making strides to free agents.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

If Lopez is only going to be on the roster this season, the spacing he provides will just be transitory.

Adding LeBron next season while having only pedestrian three point shooting on the roster isn't a recipe for success.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
If Lopez is only going to be on the roster this season, the spacing he provides will just be transitory.

Adding LeBron next season while having only pedestrian three point shooting on the roster isn't a recipe for success.

If we add Lebron, we're gonna need another make over of our roster to add shooters, similar to what Cleveland's done the past couple years
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
The Logo wrote:

The spacing last night in the starting lineup was pretty bad. Despite both working on their three point shots, neither Randle/Nance provided a semblance of spacing that Lopez is able to provide. Even with the addition to Lopez, if no one can shoot aside from him, the paint will still be clogged, which is why I'd be fine with Kuzma being integrated in the starting lineup. Our only real three point threat was Ingram last night, because he hit a couple of early threes. We're getting tested early against playoff caliber teams in Minnesota and Denver, but I feel like 30 wins is a stretch also, especially if Lopez misses time this year.

But I do want to reiterate that I think that 30 wins is a stretch if none of the following guys are hitting 3s respectably: Lonzo, Randle, KCP, Nance, JC, Ingram. The kind of scary thought is that it's a legit possibility that's the case this year.

Hard to see this team being a 30+ win team if only Lopez & Kuzma are good 3 point shooters. A couple guys listed above absolutely have to pick up the slack or a trade needs to happen this year if the front office wants this team to look like they're making strides to free agents.

I think it'll also be hard to get 30 wins even if two to three of those guys establish themselves as average three point shooters. We saw last year a Nets team really struggle to get wins even with Lopez healthy and decent shooters because of a lack of perimeter scoring. Only when Lin came back, did the Nets become a mediocre team, rather than awful team. I don't know where the perimeter scoring comes from this year, unless Ingram continues to show significant strides
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Alex "The Pope" Caruso... 40% in the D League last season; 39% in the SPL.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
MJST wrote:
We had one.

Uh, who? Meeks? Ariza? Horry?

I am guessing he means Fisher.

Definitely nick young. Only guy I can think of.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
MJST wrote:
We had one.

Uh, who? Meeks? Ariza? Horry?

I am guessing he means Fisher.

Definitely nick young. Only guy I can think of.

If you're gonna shade DLO at least do it right and remember Lou MFin Williams last season.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

We lost our 3 best 3 point shooters, we seriously lack 3 point shooting. This was not a secret and I think unfortunately it will really cap our potential offensively, especially in the half court and against good defensive teams. Lonzo, KCP, Ingram, Lopez, Clarkson, and Kuzma are really the only guys who will take 3+ 3 point attempts a game, hopefully they shoot it well.

It's crazy, but as of right now, you'd have to say Kuzma is our best 3 point shooter.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

What's Ray Allen doing these days?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:

Either way, teams are going to rotate until they get the weakness (Clarkson) and unless we start hitting them I don't know how the bench crew wins any battles even with Kuzma. There may be a better fit, but from the looks of things Clarkson is going to be an issue.

what am I missing in this post.....is this just stupid hate from the anti Clarkson segment? The "bench crew" won the battle last night, and Clarkson was a significant part of that. Clarkson is going to be an issue in what manner.....as a shooter?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Our best 3-point shooters will be Paul George next year and Klay Thompson the year after.

Come home, Klay!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
What's Ray Allen doing these days?

That would be cool
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We may not have a 35% or better 3 point shooter this year. Crazy.

I think we will. Not sure who. But that should be, and I said should, the whole point of Lonzo IMO. He gets people good looks, and they should shoot a higher efficiency as a result.

There's no reason any of the returning guys we have don't shoot a better percentage playing with Zo than with DLo.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

We have had a lot of good shooters..... we just freak out and trade them because they score too much which "hinders" the youth. Happens every year...

Lou Williams
Swaggy
Meeks

All reliable shooters that we have let go.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

Lou, swaggy, Meeks..

We get shooters and then let them go
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think we will. Not sure who. But that should be, and I said should, the whole point of Lonzo IMO. He gets people good looks, and they should shoot a higher efficiency as a result.

There's no reason any of the returning guys we have don't shoot a better percentage playing with Zo than with DLo.

I think its wayyyy too early to write off anyone. I don't expect Randle to short his 3s all year, like he did last night. Lopez, KCP, Kuzma and even Clarkson all have a shot at hitting at a 35%+ clip. Ennis' 3 last year was hot too, so who knows with him. Like Randle, Ingram is a wild card, but I do expect him to get close to 35% from 3 too. And then there is Ball, who I can imagine shooting subpar early on, but getting hotter as the season move forward. While I don't think he'll get much playing time, I could see Hart being a decent sniper too.

We just don't know yet.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think JC will be in that range, which is still not good enough....he needs to be 38-40%. Hoping Ingram, KCP, Ingram, Kuzma, and Ennis can all shoot north of 32%....and maybe one of them will break out and get over 35%.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think its wayyyy too early to write off anyone. I don't expect Randle to short his 3s all year, like he did last night. Lopez, KCP, Kuzma and even Clarkson all have a shot at hitting at a 35%+ clip. Ennis' 3 last year was hot too, so who knows with him. Like Randle, Ingram is a wild card, but I do expect him to get close to 35% from 3 too. And then there is Ball, who I can imagine shooting subpar early on, but getting hotter as the season move forward. While I don't think he'll get much playing time, I could see Hart being a decent sniper too.

We just don't know yet.

I should have just waited for your post and saved my fingers the stress.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

KCP was at 37% before the ASB. That may even be a bit after his injury, when the slide occurred, so I'd guess him.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
Ideal swap would be Clarkson for an expiring gunner, but I don't see a match. We'd have to play big but I wonder if the Cavs would do Frye and Calderón for Clarkson and the Sac 2nd. Gives you a 40 percent 3 baller and Calderón comes back as another shooter in emergency.

Either way, teams are going to rotate until they get the weakness (Clarkson) and unless we start hitting them I don't know how the bench crew wins any battles even with Kuzma. There may be a better fit, but from the looks of things Clarkson is going to be an issue.

Bellinelli is one but no idea why Atlanta would want JC.

A second round pick, cash, and because they love projects...?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We just don't know yet.

When your center and backup PF are probably your best 3 point shooters, that may be a problem. KCP is likely the better 3 point shooter from the perimeter players.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

^I don't see it that way. I have no problem with Dirk, Kevin Love, Ryan Anderson, DeMarcus Cousins, etc. being the best 3pt shooters on their teams any more than I would have a problem with Lopez filling that role on this team.

It doesn't matter where the 3s come from. What matters is whether those players can match up defensively as well. In the NBA today, who can you can defend dictates your position, not where you play on offense.

On offense, its about gravity. Who pulls in defenders that extra foot out to the perimeter to create space? We want to be able to put four guys on the floor at all times who can do that. Once you do that, you're Golden State. At this point, this year, I'd be happy with being able to put at least 3 of those guys on the floor at all times. I think we can meet that standard with the players we have. Just a matter of figuring out who those guys are.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We just don't know yet.

I agree. Not sure why some are down about it after 1 preseason game. I really expect most of our guys to shoot better than last year because lonzo will get them higher quality looks..i wont be surprised if our guys are shooting more catch/shoot this year than last, which should result in a higher percentage.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^I don't see it that way. I have no problem with Dirk, Kevin Love, Ryan Anderson, DeMarcus Cousins, etc. being the best 3pt shooters on their teams any more than I would have a problem with Lopez filling that role on this team.

It doesn't matter where the 3s come from. What matters is whether those players can match up defensively as well. In the NBA today, who can you can defend dictates your position, not where you play on offense.

On offense, its about gravity. Who pulls in defenders that extra foot out to the perimeter to create space? We want to be able to put four guys on the floor at all times who can do that. Once you do that, you're Golden State. At this point, this year, I'd be happy with being able to put at least 3 of those guys on the floor at all times. I think we can meet that standard with the players we have. Just a matter of figuring out who those guys are.

Golden state? Their backcourt is the best 3 point shooting backcourt of all time. Let’s not get that twisted. Arguably they draw gravity.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We just don't know yet.

I agree. Not sure why some are down about it after 1 preseason game. I really expect most of our guys to shoot better than last year because lonzo will get them higher quality looks..i wont be surprised if our guys are shooting more catch/shoot this year than last, which should result in a higher percentage.

Swaggy and lou were already established 3 point threats. Dlo put up a high volume and still hit at a 35% rate. Lonzo/ingram have a lot of adjustment imo at this time (though I have more confidence that Lonzo can be a good 3 point shooter long term).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: