NBA approves Pistons move to downtown Detroit

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: NBA approves Pistons move to downtown Detroit

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/03/nba-approves-pistons-move-to-downtown-detroit/

Quote:
NBA approves Pistons move to downtown Detroit

The Pistons haven’t played played regularly in Detroit since 1978.

After spending decades in the suburbs – The Palace of Auburn Hills and, before that, the Pontiac Silverdome – they’re moving back downtown.

NBA release:

The NBA Board of Governors unanimously approved the Pistons’ relocation from The Palace of Auburn Hills to Little Caesars Arena in downtown Detroit. The team will begin playing this upcoming season at Little Caesars Arena.

Of course, the NBA approved. The league loves local governments funneling millions of dollars in taxpayer money to billionaire team owners.

It probably won’t be so good for Detroit, which should invest more in schools, police and other services that serve more than just basketball fans. But this is the same type of bad deal local governments strike all the time as they eye tax revenue that almost never comes. This has sadly just become par for the course.

But it’ll at least be good for fans who can afford to attend games at the new arena, which was originally being built (again, with large amounts of taxpayer money) for the NHL’s Red Wings. There’s a lot more to do in downtown Detroit than around the arena in Auburn Hills.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Crazy anyone would willingly move to downtown Detroit.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

My cousin lives in Southfield(not downtown) but yeah I see your point. Even my dad is uneasy whenever downtown Detroit is mentioned.

Same with Downtown Cleveland.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Thought it was already done. I know the Red Wings planned Little Caesars Arena as their home and the Pistons wanted to move there because of its location. I think its pretty crazy that sports teams are quick to abandon their home arenas so fast. Unlike Arco Arena for the Kings which was built at the same time on the cheap, the Palace was pretty modern and basically set the template for all modern NBA arenas with luxury boxes and amenities. Also this bodes a sign that pro sports teams will contemplate abandoning a relatively modern arena/stadium if there is a proposal for a newer one in a better location. Happened to the Atlanta Braves, their previous home was barely 20 years old.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

When I worked in Automotive I visited Detroit (and Auburn Hills) quite enough to last me this lifetime...
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject:

Fine with me. The Palace was a graveyard for great Laker teams. Site of Shaq's last game in a Laker uniform. Site of the final two road games of Kareem's career. And probably like some other bad stuff that I'm forgetting.

Be gone, devil arena.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject:

Does Wayne County have the money to built the arena?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Fine with me. The Palace was a graveyard for great Laker teams. Site of Shaq's last game in a Laker uniform. Site of the final two road games of Kareem's career. And probably like some other bad stuff that I'm forgetting.

Be gone, devil arena.

The Infamous brawl between the Pacers/Pistons(yes I know it isn't Lakers related but you did say bad stuff....)
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Does Wayne County have the money to built the arena?

As I understand it, it is mostly financed by the state. This is part of a larger downtown project. I don't know the details.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:

Good riddance

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29446251/the-palace-auburn-hills-former-home-detro-pistons-shock-torn-down

Quote:
The Palace of Auburn Hills, former home of Detroit's Pistons and Shock, torn down

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- One of Michigan's most beloved sports and entertainment venues was turned into rubble on Saturday with a series of controlled explosions.

The shell and roof of the Palace of Auburn Hills, which was home to three NBA championship Detroit Pistons teams and three WNBA championship Detroit Shock teams and played host to some of the world's biggest musical acts during its nearly 30-year run, crumbled to the ground following a series explosive pops. The rest of the arena had already been removed.

The Palace, which opened in 1988, held more than 22,000 people for NBA games and up to 23,000 for concerts and other shows, according to NBA.com.

After the Pistons relocated in 2017 to downtown Detroit, the arena about 30 miles northwest of the city continued to host concerts, the last in September of that year by rocker Bob Seger.

The former home of the Detroit Pistons and Detroit Shock first opened in 1988. A new mixed-use development project is planned for the site. Paul Sancya/AP
It also became the second suburban Detroit arena that found little real use after its main sports tenant took its games back to the city.

The Detroit Lions played at the nearby Pontiac Silverdome from 1975 to 2001 before moving to Ford Field in Detroit. The Pistons also called the Silverdome home for a decade before The Palace opened.

The Silverdome was taken down with a partial implosion in 2017.

William Hall, a project manager for Schostak Brothers & Co., told the Oakland Press of Pontiac that the Palace site should be cleared of debris by the end of the year.

A new mixed-use development project is planned for the site.

"There have been some companies we've already talked to about possible development of the property," Hall said. "I would say we've had conversations with at least half a dozen people. This property is very interesting and for a lot of businesses, its proximity is very attractive."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: