Motor Trend First Review of Tesla Model 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Imo, for the money, I'd get something else.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject:

For anywhere near Model 3 money, any other sedan is just plain stupid if you have access to a plug where you park overnight.

If you live in an apartment/condo without access to a plug I would consider the Honda Clarity at the low end or one of the Volvo PHEV at the higher end.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

I just picked up my dual motor Model 3 non-performance last weekend. Absolutely in love with the car. Like most of you I also thought for the similar money I can get myself a BMW M3 or some other high end luxury sedans or SUVs, but couple rides in my friends Model 3 had me sold. The $7500 federal tax credit and $2500 California rebate also played a big role pushed me to order this car. The Enhanced Autopilot features are so easy to use and so intuitive, and did I mention the neck snapping acceleration?

I may soon move to another house so I didn’t bother install any plugs in my garage. My daily commute is only 30 miles. Residential home’s 110 outlet charges about 4 miles per hour. So I just plug into my garage’s 110 outlet every day to get it complete charged the next morning.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I just picked up my dual motor Model 3 non-performance last weekend. Absolutely in love with the car. Like most of you I also thought for the similar money I can get myself a BMW M3 or some other high end luxury sedans or SUVs, but couple rides in my friends Model 3 had me sold. The $7500 federal tax credit and $2500 California rebate also played a big role pushed me to order this car. The Enhanced Autopilot features are so easy to use and so intuitive, and did I mention the neck snapping acceleration?

I may soon move to another house so I didn’t bother install any plugs in my garage. My daily commute is only 30 miles. Residential home’s 110 outlet charges about 4 miles per hour. So I just plug into my garage’s 110 outlet every day to get it complete charged the next morning.

Have you tried out the new Nav on AP feature? It’s pretty cool; not super useful yet, but you can see how it can be very useful in the future as Tesla continues to update it. AP has made my sojourns on the freeway (and some local roads even) while stuck in traffic a lot more relaxing, even considering the need to constantly pay attention and keep a hand on the wheel.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Have you tried out the new Nav on AP feature? It’s pretty cool; not super useful yet, but you can see how it can be very useful in the future as Tesla continues to update it. AP has made my sojourns on the freeway (and some local roads even) while stuck in traffic a lot more relaxing, even considering the need to constantly pay attention and keep a hand on the wheel.

I have not, but I did hear my coworker raved about it the other day.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Drove my coworker’s Model 3 today. Even coming from my 5.0 V8 Mustang you could feel the instant torque curve. I had no problems getting around in traffic.

I really liked the car!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Drove my coworker’s Model 3 today. Even coming from my 5.0 V8 Mustang you could feel the instant torque curve. I had no problems getting around in traffic.

I really liked the car!

Not just the instant torque and insane acceleration, but the handling for Model 3 is on par with my previous E46 M3. Every day once on the freeway I have to debate myself whether to turn on AP and relax or drive the car myself to have some fun. Mine is a dual motor AWD, it does 0-60 in 4.5 secs but few people have recorded low 4s on YouTube. I can’t imaging how the Performance models’ 3.3 sec 0-60 feels like.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
22 wrote:

I really liked the car!

Not just the instant torque and insane acceleration, but the handling for Model 3 is on par with my previous E46 M3. Every day once on the freeway I have to debate myself whether to turn on AP and relax or drive the car myself to have some fun. Mine is a dual motor AWD, it does 0-60 in 4.5 secs but few people have recorded low 4s on YouTube. I can’t imaging how the Performance models’ 3.3 sec 0-60 feels like.

Seriously when does the performance model come out?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
22 wrote:

I really liked the car!

It’s already out. They’ve released a “Track Mode” driving profile for the Performance 3 which lets people break the rear loose on turns and ramps up the cooling to keep the battery from overheating so performance on the track stays consistent.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
22 wrote:

I really liked the car!

It has been available for order since this spring.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Oh snap!! Another coworker is letting me ride in his Model 3 hope it’s a performance model this time
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject:

I just got a Model 3. WOW! I don’t think most people realize how good autopilot actually is. It has been almost flawless on freeways. No wonder people keep falling asleep on the freeway. It’s such a game changing way to travel. Reduces the stress of driving completely.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
I just got a Model 3. WOW! I don’t think most people realize how good autopilot actually is. It has been almost flawless on freeways. No wonder people keep falling asleep on the freeway. It’s such a game changing way to travel. Reduces the stress of driving completely.

Don’t take it for granted. It hasn’t happened to me yet, but I’ve seen enough YouTube videos of it doing funky things to know that it isn’t worth putting my life into trusting it blindly. I love using AP, but I’m always ready to take over and often do, especially when approaching merge lanes. Like you said, it reduces a ton of the stress of driving, especially in traffic: It has been an absolute godsend for me on my fairly regular trips up to SF, and I am very happy to have it for my road trip to Texas later this month, but it’s still way too early to trust it completely.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Don’t take it for granted. It hasn’t happened to me yet, but I’ve seen enough YouTube videos of it doing funky things to know that it isn’t worth putting my life into trusting it blindly. I love using AP, but I’m always ready to take over and often do, especially when approaching merge lanes. Like you said, it reduces a ton of the stress of driving, especially in traffic: It has been an absolute godsend for me on my fairly regular trips up to SF, and I am very happy to have it for my road trip to Texas later this month, but it’s still way too early to trust it completely.

I have an analogy of what I think it’s like. Driving on Autopilot is like walking on the edge of a pool with a little kid. You hold the kids hand to make sure they don’t trip or fall in the water, but you aren’t dragging the child along...they are walking right along with you and if things go as planned everything is fine...but you need to be prepared with dad-like reflexes to take control if something goes wrong.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject:

Just did a road trip from LA to Vegas and then to El Paso. Car performed like a champ, and the supercharging was marvelously fast, giving me time to hit a restroom, grab some drinks/snacks, and back to my car for enough juice to drive a couple more hours to the next supercharger.

Navigate on AutoPilot was also really good on the long trip. Beautifully relaxing on those long stretches of highway where you’re just passing a semi every so often. I’m not sure I could ever do a long road trip with a car that doesn’t have comparable tech ever again.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject:

I have yet to do a road trip, or even use a supercharger. Can’t wait for that though. I did install a USB adapter with a 128GB Micro SD for Sentry Mode and for the built in dash cam. Works perfect so far. I did a test with a flash stick first and started getting errors, so I looked it up online and found a great post about how this was the better option.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject:

Not versed in EV, Tesla is pretty much the only name I know. Thinking about trying EV once my SUV lease is up. What’s tesla’s Comp? I saw Hyundai kona? Or Tesla is just pretty much the best?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Not versed in EV, Tesla is pretty much the only name I know. Thinking about trying EV once my SUV lease is up. What’s tesla’s Comp? I saw Hyundai kona? Or Tesla is just pretty much the best?

Tesla is probably the best EV out there, but there are several other very solid ones too. I’ve heard the Kona is pretty good. The new Taycan is supposed to be great, but it’s significantly more expensive than even the most expensive Tesla. The new Leaf is a very solid car, as is the Bolt, and both work well as daily city drivers (150-200+ miles of range). But they lack the Supercharger network that Tesla built out for their cars to enable the easy 1500+ mile road trip I just came back from. The Volt is discontinued now, but if you can find a used or inventory second/third gen Volt, it’s a great stepping stone into driving electric. You get about 50 miles of range from the battery, which is enough for most people’s daily drives, and then a backup ICE that uses a small gas tank to recharge the battery when it runs low that gives an additional 300+ miles of range from the gas. It is a fairly small car, though, and if you’re coming from an SUV it might not be enough for you even if it is a hatchback.

On a side note, the Tesla’s software is updated fairly often, which is something no other car company does. I just got a software upgrade this morning via Wi-Fi that enabled me to play Netflix and YouTube videos while parked over Wi-Fi; the update also improved the autopilot characteristics and visualizations, and enabled something called smart summon, which lets me call my car to me in a parking lot (incredibly cool and fun to use, but not super practical, yet), along with a host of other more minor updates that improve the overall experience. In the year or so I’ve owned the car, I’ve had half a dozen or more software upgrades for my Tesla, which is a half dozen or more software upgrades more than I’ve had for any of the 5 other cars I’ve owned/leased combined.

There are some Drive Green ev events held all over the country at various times, so it could be helpful to see if there’s one coming up in your area anytime soon so you can check some cars out and talk to EV drivers a out their experiences and recommendations. I’m obviously partial to Tesla, but depending on your needs a variety of EVs could be great for you. The main recommendation I’d have is to make sure you have a place to charge at home or at work. Speaking from experience, Driving an EV without that is doable and isn’t too bad it’s enough public charging, but when you have home/work charging, it’s a game changer.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
governator wrote:

Tesla is probably the best EV out there, but there are several other very solid ones too. I’ve heard the Kona is pretty good. The new Taycan is supposed to be great, but it’s significantly more expensive than even the most expensive Tesla. The new Leaf is a very solid car, as is the Bolt, and both work well as daily city drivers (150-200+ miles of range). But they lack the Supercharger network that Tesla built out for their cars to enable the easy 1500+ mile road trip I just came back from. The Volt is discontinued now, but if you can find a used or inventory second/third gen Volt, it’s a great stepping stone into driving electric. You get about 50 miles of range from the battery, which is enough for most people’s daily drives, and then a backup ICE that uses a small gas tank to recharge the battery when it runs low that gives an additional 300+ miles of range from the gas. It is a fairly small car, though, and if you’re coming from an SUV it might not be enough for you even if it is a hatchback.

On a side note, the Tesla’s software is updated fairly often, which is something no other car company does. I just got a software upgrade this morning via Wi-Fi that enabled me to play Netflix and YouTube videos while parked over Wi-Fi; the update also improved the autopilot characteristics and visualizations, and enabled something called smart summon, which lets me call my car to me in a parking lot (incredibly cool and fun to use, but not super practical, yet), along with a host of other more minor updates that improve the overall experience. In the year or so I’ve owned the car, I’ve had half a dozen or more software upgrades for my Tesla, which is a half dozen or more software upgrades more than I’ve had for any of the 5 other cars I’ve owned/leased combined.

There are some Drive Green ev events held all over the country at various times, so it could be helpful to see if there’s one coming up in your area anytime soon so you can check some cars out and talk to EV drivers a out their experiences and recommendations. I’m obviously partial to Tesla, but depending on your needs a variety of EVs could be great for you. The main recommendation I’d have is to make sure you have a place to charge at home or at work. Speaking from experience, Driving an EV without that is doable and isn’t too bad it’s enough public charging, but when you have home/work charging, it’s a game changer.

Thanks. Where do you charge your car? is there a home version people can buy?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I’ve had two EV’s now and the difference between a Tesla and any other car I’ve had is like night and day. I had a Toyota RAV 4 EV that actually had a Tesla battery and electric engine, and now I have a Model 3. The model 3 is light years ahead of any other car I’ve ever had. I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s like driving in the future. Go to a Tesla showroom and take a test drive. Even though both were electric, the technology and convenience built into the Model 3 is incredible.

You know how a lot of cars have a key fob that Auto Unlock’s the door when you come close and then when you get in the car you just push a button to start the car and go? Convenient, right? But why do we need a key fob. Why not make your phone the key fob, then you don’t need to carry keys. And why do we need a button to start the car! Why not just put your foot on the brake and put it in gear and go? And rather than turning the car off and locking it, why not just put it in park and walk away and let it auto shut off and auto lock when it detects you are leaving. Tesla does tons of little things like this that just make for better experiences.

Spend some time in a Model 3 looking at the interior. Really absorb how it’s different. Then go sit in literally any other car and think about whether it feels antiquated.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

I’ll take a stab at your charging question too. So far I have only charged my car in my garage. We did have an electrician come install our charger. Tesla sells their own, but I bought mine when I had the RAV 4 EV so it’s made by a third party and requires an adapter for the Tesla, which is no big deal. Most electric companies offer discounted rates for EV owners if they charge between midnight and 6 am, for me it costs .09 per kilowatt hour, which is super cheap. (Regularly costs .29 per kilowatt hour.)
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
governator wrote:

I’ve had two EV’s now and the difference between a Tesla and any other car I’ve had is like night and day. I had a Toyota RAV 4 EV that actually had a Tesla battery and electric engine, and now I have a Model 3. The model 3 is light years ahead of any other car I’ve ever had. I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s like driving in the future. Go to a Tesla showroom and take a test drive. Even though both were electric, the technology and convenience built into the Model 3 is incredible.

You know how a lot of cars have a key fob that Auto Unlock’s the door when you come close and then when you get in the car you just push a button to start the car and go? Convenient, right? But why do we need a key fob. Why not make your phone the key fob, then you don’t need to carry keys. And why do we need a button to start the car! Why not just put your foot on the brake and put it in gear and go? And rather than turning the car off and locking it, why not just put it in park and walk away and let it auto shut off and auto lock when it detects you are leaving. Tesla does tons of little things like this that just make for better experiences.

Spend some time in a Model 3 looking at the interior. Really absorb how it’s different. Then go sit in literally any other car and think about whether it feels antiquated.

hmm, still got over a year on my car lease, can't let my wife test drive this yet but sounds like Tesla SUV might be the next ride (especially if you can charge it at home)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Waiting on the Mach E.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Any drawbacks on a used Tesla?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Any drawbacks on a used Tesla?

Ive noticed very little price difference in used Teslas.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: