Lakers right now are “a longshot”’ to sign LeBron in free agency per Ramona and Windy

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Lakers right now are “a longshot”’ to sign LeBron in free agency per Ramona and Windy

4 years ago to the day, it was reported that the Lakers right now are “a longshot”’ to sign LeBron in free agency. Originally retweeted by @HoniAhm. The Twitter comments from the original BR Tweet are the best.

@BleacherReport

Lakers right now are “a longshot”’ to sign LeBron in free agency, per
@ramonashelburne and @WindhorstESPN

https://twitter.com/HoniAhm/status/1470789064110469121
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

And LeBron is still playing at a MVP level till now, Lakers FO needs to make changes this season to help him get his 5th title.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

"The signing"
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

What would he and the lakers do when his contract is up? He will likely be a little short of the scoring record, and bronny is still at least a year away from the draft (best case scenario). I can’t imagine him not going for that record(if healthy). 1-2 year extension? Obviously he looks great when healthy this season, and he can even move to PF full time if his speed declines more. What’s amazing is that he would probably be very close to Kareem if he didn’t have those 2 significant injuries with us, and even has a shot at 40k points
Can’t see him signing with another team now that his family and business are all in LA.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
What would he and the lakers do when his contract is up? He will likely be a little short of the scoring record, and bronny is still at least a year away from the draft (best case scenario). I can’t imagine him not going for that record(if healthy). 1-2 year extension? Obviously he looks great when healthy this season, and he can even move to PF full time if his speed declines more. What’s amazing is that he would probably be very close to Kareem if he didn’t have those 2 significant injuries with us, and even has a shot at 40k points
Can’t see him signing with another team now that his family and business are all in LA.

Yeah he's made statements about LA that make it seem like he doesn't plan on going elsewhere.

Currently Lebron is exactly 2600 points away from Kareem. 54 games left this season.
At 25 pt/game, he needs 104 games
At 23 pt/game, he needs 113 games
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject:

It's from 2017, as pointed out by the OP.

Lebron isn't going anywhere and he still has another year left on his contract after this season. I'd imagine he extends on a year per year basis after that until he retires.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
It's from 2017, as pointed out by the OP.

Lebron isn't going anywhere and he still has another year left on his contract after this season. I'd imagine he extends on a year per year basis after that until he retires.

Not sure were I saw it but he thought he could play until he’s 44 when a reporter asked him about his retirement.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Love having Lebron on the Lakers!
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Let him do his farewell tour in Cleveland.

They are a good team that could win the East with LBJ combined with Garland and Mobley.

We can start the process of rebuilding without an aging LeGM meddling in the team's affairs.

Thank you for the title... but I'm just tired of the bad personnel decisions and the mercenary makeup of the team.

A legendary player... but not a great team builder imo.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Love having Lebron on the Lakers!

That’s because even if he has a significant decline due to age and injuries he’s still good enough to be a Impact player because of his IQ and offensive skills, he’s also a great leader.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

They are a good team that could win the East with LBJ combined with Garland and Mobley.

We can start the process of rebuilding without an aging LeGM meddling in the team's affairs.

Thank you for the title... but I'm just tired of the bad personnel decisions and the mercenary makeup of the team.

You won’t love the process especially because there is no guarantee any Impact player will come and team up with AD and then you are stuck being mediocre for years and years similar to the Knicks, you guys are way spoiled thinking that we can get back on top any time we want, once LeBron is gone it will be a while until we are in contention mode.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

You won’t love the process especially because there is no guarantee any Impact player will come and team up with AD and then you are stuck being mediocre for years and years similar to the Knicks, you guys are way spoiled thinking that we can get back on top any time we want, once LeBron is gone it will be a while until we are in contention mode.

The 7 year bad period was the exception to more than 50 years of excellence I've seen during my lifetime.

I don't apply the Lakers standard to the Knicks.

If we let LBJ run the team after he's too old to play, I think we might exceed those 7 years though.

I can't believe you like what you see considering how much time you devote to this game.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Who were the favorites? Cleveland?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

The 7 year bad period was the exception to more than 50 years of excellence I've seen during my lifetime.

If we let LBJ run the team after he's too old to play, I think we might exceed those 7 years though.

I can't believe you like what you see considering how much time you devote to this game.

I’m not particularly enjoying this season but I do enjoy being in contention mode with LeBron at helm the only thing stopping us from doing something this season are the pieces we bought in but that is up to the FO to make a decision on with the trade deadline looming.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I’m not particularly enjoying this season but I do enjoy being in contention mode with LeBron at helm the only thing stopping us from doing something this season are the pieces we bought in but that is up to the FO to make a decision on with the trade deadline looming.

LBJ has more power than Rob. He is the reason we have the team that we have.

The only thing that could possibly rein him in is a fifty year old Pat Riley or an owner like Cuban.

Before, LBJ was so dominant... he could overcome his bad personnel.

He's still a great player but he's no longer capable of overcoming mediocre teammates anymore.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

The only thing that could possibly rein him in is a fifty year old Pat Riley or an owner like Cuban.

He's still a great player but he's no longer capable of overcoming mediocre teammates anymore.

Lies, he was playing at a high level in 2018 but still had the Cavs FO make changes by trading Derrick Rose and others prior to the trade deadline, LeBron has made good decisions and bad decisions just like any other player that had a influence on a team, if Westbrook ends up being traded that doesn’t make LeBron a bad GM.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Lies, he was playing at a high level in 2018 but still had the Cavs FO make changes by trading Derrick Rose and others prior to the trade deadline, LeBron has made good decisions and bad decisions just like any other player that had a influence on a team, if Westbrook ends up being traded that doesn’t make LeBron a bad GM.

I'm fine with them trading Westbrook... but even if he pulls that off... it just shows he cares nothing about anyone but himself.

In a way, I'd respect him more for standing behind Russ and THT, even if we lost. He'd be a bad GM, but one who was loyal to his friends.

If we get rid of them and we still lose, then he's a bad GM who is also disloyal to his friends.

You want to believe LBJ is a good judge of talent... that is your right.

I personally think he was just such an incredible player that he was able to win with almost anyone that was a reasonable fit.

I don't think he's good at player management at all.

If we trade Russ and start winning... it will be pretty much just like throwing darts at a board and rebooting again.

No real thought out plan.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject:

People here pretending that rob could do anything about lebron. I guarantee you if you are in Rob’s position, you’d done the exact same thing. The NBA is run on superstars, and they get a lot of leverage and inputs on team building, that’s how this business works. If rob or any other GM stick their neck out, they’d lose their job as owners need stars to make money.
I believe lebron is pretty good at assemble key pieces of the team judging by his 10 finals appearance. Recruiting your friends who happen to be superstars to play together is always a good move.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
People here pretending that rob could do anything about lebron. I guarantee you if you are in Rob’s position, you’d done the exact same thing. The NBA is run on superstars, and they get a lot of leverage and inputs on team building, that’s how this business works. If rob or any other GM stick their neck out, they’d lose their job as owners need stars to make money.
I believe lebron is pretty good at assemble key pieces of the team judging by his 10 finals appearance. Recruiting your friends who happen to be superstars to play together is always a good move.

LBJ is a smart guy... so I can concede it's possible he can one day become a good executive... when he's not making panic moves that affect a team that he's actually playing on.

Other than the Miami superteam, which was more a function of Wade adapting to LBJ... I'm not really impressed by any of his personnel moves.

He got some guys to sign for minimum's that would probably not have signed without him... but I haven't seen any real vision in terms of creating a great team. Has any former great become a successful GM? Maybe Bird did okay... but that's about it.

I just feel he's been too impatient and overpays or pressures someone like Rob to overpay because his time is running out.

The Cleveland title and the bubble title were pretty lucky.

Other than the Heat superteam which was more a collaboration of the three stars and Ray Allen... I don't think he's particularly great at identifying talent.

His success is mostly a function of being one of the greatest players ever to walk the planet.

Again, maybe one day he can become great as an executive... but so far I haven't seen it.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

LBJ is a smart guy... so I can concede it's possible he can one day become a good executive... when he's not making panic moves that affect a team that he's actually playing on.

Other than the Miami superteam, which was more a function of Wade adapting to LBJ... I'm not really impressed by any of his personnel moves.

He got some guys to sign for minimum's that would probably not have signed without him... but I haven't seen any real vision in terms of creating a great team. Has any former great become a successful GM? Maybe Bird did okay... but that's about it.

I just feel he's been too impatient and overpays or pressures someone like Rob to overpay because his time is running out.

The Cleveland title and the bubble title were pretty lucky.

Other than the Heat superteam which was more a collaboration of the three stars and Ray Allen... I don't think he's particularly great at identifying talent.

His success is mostly a function of being one of the greatest players ever to walk the planet.

Again, maybe one day he can become great as an executive... but so far I haven't seen it.

We judging GM skills on titles now? The guy knows what he wanted. The only reason he left Miami was because it was clear to him that Miami team was not close to be good enough for title again. The Cavs happened to have Kyrie and 2 other first picks in 4 years. That was obviously a better place for a title run. His ideal spot was always LA, and had the lakers have those assets, he would came to the lakers after Miami. Recruiting older all stars to play for vet min is a GM skill, recruiting other superstars is too. I am not even sure he wants to be a GM after retiring, but he is clearly good as a player giving inputs on personnel moves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: