OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
epak wrote:
Yes. If he was on say Detroit.
And there was some YouTube video out there calling him the Steph Curry stopper and we all get bamboozled into thinking he's some elite defender, we'd probably want him on our team for the room.

i dont think people actually watch this guy. he plays good d. he played better d than ANYONE on our team last year and he still gets blasted for it. unreasonable hate on this guy, he does everything well. he will be very good this year because the team will be good. nobody watches him trust me.. all people notice is when he misses 3 pointers. similar thing happened when we had nick young, JC, Lou...just hate for no reason, these are good players.

I've watched him and my impression is that he was bad but acceptable on D. I hated every time someone got past him and he would just stand around, no contest no second effort. On O he has good skills and range but horrible shot selection.

this is not really true, not sure where you are getting this. without knowing more...who do you see playing d that was doing that better on this team...or on another team? on an average normal play (dont nitpick the lowlights) he is playing beter d than anyone else and that includes lbj....maybe mcgee plays better d, but hes a different role.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Garbage when it counts and then comes alive when it doesn't count
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Redundant and waste of roster space after the Green, Cook, Daniels signing.

At the price he's paid, yes bad use of money. But as a fit, I love KCP off the bench. Can hit 3's, FT's. high motor, pesky defender, can play 3 positions.

I actually think he's going to have a really good year for us.

Green/KCP/Bradley I love al 3 of those guards around LeBron/AD. Which is actually a lineup I want to see and think we will see a lot:

AD
LeBron
Green
KCP
Bradley

Crazy defense
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

At the price he's paid, yes bad use of money. But as a fit, I love KCP off the bench. Can hit 3's, FT's. high motor, pesky defender, can play 3 positions.

Green/KCP/Bradley I love al 3 of those guards around LeBron/AD. Which is actually a lineup I want to see and think we will see a lot:

AD
LeBron
Green
KCP
Bradley

Crazy defense

You can never have too many shooters on a LBJ team. That lineup looks deadly, I can also easily imagine some 4 guard lineups when the bench is against smaller teams and when load managing.

Plus even though he got a lot of hate here, I was always happy to see a guy hit 87% from the line
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

AD
LeBron
Green
KCP
Bradley

Crazy defense
KCP and Bradley--crazy defense??? The DRPMs for both KCP and Bradley were horrible last year at -2.17 and -1.26, respectively. Just to see if last year was an aberration, I went back and looked at their scores in 14-15, 15-16, 16-17, and 17-18. For KCP, they were -0.37, 0.52, -1.31, and -0.32. For Bradley, they were 0.73, -1.24,-1.72, and -0.53. For both players, they have only had one good defensive season (as measured by having a positive DRPM) in the last five. Is there a reason that we are expecting them to do better?

--Anonymous
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

AD
LeBron
Green
KCP
Bradley

Crazy defense

I agree with you...I think KCP is going to have a solid year....and with Vogel’s defensive schemes I also believe your KCP, Green, Bradley line up could be tough.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
2019 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

AD
LeBron
Green
KCP
Bradley

Crazy defense
KCP and Bradley--crazy defense??? The DRPMs for both KCP and Bradley were horrible last year at -2.17 and -1.26, respectively. Just to see if last year was an aberration, I went back and looked at their scores in 14-15, 15-16, 16-17, and 17-18. For KCP, they were -0.37, 0.52, -1.31, and -0.32. For Bradley, they were 0.73, -1.24,-1.72, and -0.53. For both players, they have only had one good defensive season (as measured by having a positive DRPM) in the last five. Is there a reason that we are expecting them to do better?

I think Bradley will absolutely do better if he stays healthy.. I have watched a lot of tape of him the last month or so and has all the tools and high iq to be a solid/great defender with a good team/system around him.

KCP i'm not sold on at all to be anything special defensively even though I do think he has the potential but the iq/awareness/willingness is simply not there since he's been a Lakers from what i've seen. I do believe (hope!) he is going to have a better season overall though.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

What are the chances Bradley starts ahead of KCP? I say very high.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
2019 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

AD
LeBron
Green
KCP
Bradley

Crazy defense

So even though Avery was injured/overweight last year, he had a DPRM somewhere between. Klay Thompon and Kawhi Leonard. Cousins had a DPRM somewhere between a Gobert and AD. Good thing we didn't get Kawhi because his DPRM was somewhere between a Harden and a Gallanari. Only won a championship despite that.

2018-19
DPRM stats
Cousins 3.57 - Best defender we got
AD 3.20
Danny Green 2.07
Muscla 1.83
Lebron 1.83
Hart 1.72
Kevin Love 1.49
Ball 1.29
Greg Monroe 1.21
Kostas 1.11
Mitchell Robinson 1.05
Bonga .92
Jemario Jones 0.72
Javale .16
Caruso .10
Andre Ingram .10
Harden .03
Kawhi .02

Gallanari 0.00

Below zero club
Montrez Harrel -.54
Brandom Ingram -.54
Kris Dunn -.47
Darren Collisin -.42
Trevor Ariza -1.25
Avery Bradely -1.26
Shamet -1.59
Klay -1.82
Lou Williams -3.54
Sexton -4.59

I probably should have just said I am a fan of that stat.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
So even though Avery was injured/overweight last year, he had a DPRM somewhere between. Klay Thompon and Kawhi Leonard. Cousins had a DPRM somewhere between a Gobert and AD. Good thing we didn't get Kawhi because his DPRM was somewhere between a Harden and a Gallanari. Only won a championship despite that.

You have changed the subject. We were talking just about defense and whether or not Bradley and KCP would result in "crazy defense"; we were not including what they bring offensively to the team. Yes, Kawli had a low DRPM but he complimented it with a high positive ORPM of 3.24. Including what a player brings to the floor on offense when we are discussing solely whether or not he is a good defensive player is a change in topic. We all know that a player can be one but not the other.

So, my question to you is the same that I ended my comment above: Why do you think that they will be better next year than they were last year? They were out of shape? Injured? Not motivated? What are the changes that will make them better? I want to hear them. I would also like to hear why you believe that DRPM doesn't actually measure what these players bring to the team defensively. Intelligent and well-thought out responses are always appreciated.

--Anonymous
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:

You have changed the subject. We were talking just about defense and whether or not Bradley and KCP would result in "crazy defense"; we were not including what they bring offensively to the team. Yes, Kawli had a low DRPM but he complimented it with a high positive ORPM of 3.24. Including what a player brings to the floor on offense when we are discussing solely whether or not he is a good defensive player is a change in topic. We all know that a player can be one but not the other.

So, my question to you is the same that I ended my comment above: Why do you think that they will be better next year than they were last year? They were out of shape? Injured? Not motivated? What are the changes that will make them better? I want to hear them. I would also like to hear why you believe that DRPM doesn't actually measure what these players bring to the team defensively. Intelligent and well-thought out responses are always appreciated.

Wait... So is Kawhi actually a poor defender now or is that just a flawed statistic?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:

Wait... So is Kawhi actually a poor defender now or is that just a flawed statistic?

even consensus from good fans and bloggers eyes - Kawhi was barely an above average defender in the regular season for Toronto. And he was a great defender in spots in the playoffs, great series vs Giannis, which deserves all the credit. But aside from that it was spotty and mostly not close to elite
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:

Or does Kawhi know how to up his game in the playoffs when everyone is paying particularly close attention? For what it is worth, fivethirtyeight.com has Kawhi with a smaller regular season defensive score (-0.5) and a much higher playoff defensive score (+1.2). His regular season offensive score of 3.0 is excellent but his playoff offensive score of 5.6 is outrageous. There are other stats at fivethirtyeight show how much better Kawhi was in the playoffs than he was during the regular season.

RPM doesn't break down the data like that though.

--Anonymous
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
epak wrote:
Yes. If he was on say Detroit.
And there was some YouTube video out there calling him the Steph Curry stopper and we all get bamboozled into thinking he's some elite defender, we'd probably want him on our team for the room.

i dont think people actually watch this guy. he plays good d. he played better d than ANYONE on our team last year and he still gets blasted for it. unreasonable hate on this guy, he does everything well. he will be very good this year because the team will be good. nobody watches him trust me.. all people notice is when he misses 3 pointers. similar thing happened when we had nick young, JC, Lou...just hate for no reason, these are good players.

I've watched him and my impression is that he was bad but acceptable on D. I hated every time someone got past him and he would just stand around, no contest no second effort. On O he has good skills and range but horrible shot selection.

Yeah, I agree on the defense part. Also, KCP has physical talent and some skills but his bball IQ is absolute garbage which makes him a liability during long stretches or during crunch time. If only we could transplant Dudleys brain into KCPs body
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

a player like KCP should be given a reduced role that requires less thinking. Just focus on defense and spot up shooting. If he can be a plus-defender and shoot 40% 3s thats all we need.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
a player like KCP should be given a reduced role that requires less thinking. Just focus on defense and spot up shooting. If he can be a plus-defender and shoot 40% 3s thats all we need.

Luke was to bad of a coach who didn’t realize that KCP is better suited playing in a established role rather then using him as a scoring option,
I’m pretty sure Vogel knows how to use KCP better then Luke ever did.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

That's exactly what KCP needs. If he can focus on that, he will have a much better career, and his team will be better because of it. Because we had such a young team, guys never knew their roles. Everyone was out there getting to do a little bit of everything. That's not really conducive to winning.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Luke was to bad of a coach who didn’t realize that KCP is better suited playing in a established role rather then using him as a scoring option,
I’m pretty sure Vogel knows how to use KCP better then Luke ever did.

Or is it that his two large contracts caused management to force Luke’s hand in regards to “role”?
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:

I am saying that DPRM isn't the greatest indicator of whether someone is a good defender or not. KCP and Avery Bradley are well known as great on ball defenders. Give them a defensive anchor of AD and a defensive oriented coach and you will see a difference. Being healthy will help too. I was just pointing out how that stat is stupid. Just look at how high Cousins DPRM is and how low Klay Thompson is on there. Klay player some great defense and Cousins not so much. Harden played zero defense and had a higher DPRM than probably the best wing defender the in the league.

The way a team plays also determines the DPRM.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:

shots 🔥
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

Ever since 2016, KCP has always been in a "contract year" playing for his next contract (when players tend to put individual goals ahead of team goals).

Now that he isn't (although he does have a player option for 2020), maybe he won't call his own number quite as much and stick to playing within himself and to his strengths. One can hope.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:

shots 🔥
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
Ever since 2016, KCP has always been in a "contract year" playing for his next contract (when players tend to put individual goals ahead of team goals).

Now that he isn't (although he does have a player option for 2020), maybe he won't call his own number quite as much and stick to playing within himself and to his strengths. One can hope.

If his chucking starts to cost us wins, he'll see the bench real quick.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HAXXXCFq9j8

KCP looks really good
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HAXXXCFq9j8

KCP looks really good

Everybody does it in summer
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 110 of 182
Jump to: