OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 752, 753, 754 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I don't have a problem paying Kuzma in the future, we have paid guys $8-15 million a year in recent memory, and gotten much less from what we get from Kuzma. My concern is that the three big impact players are AD, Lebron, and Kuzma. No true guard at those positions making a true impact and giving us that 15 ppg night in, night out.

Would you accept a young PG that gets 12pt/6 reb/7 asst/ 37% 3pt/ plays defense ?

Most around here wouldn't.

I like Kuzma's game. The more he contributes (especially as he focuses on improving his defense) the more I like it. But I have bittersweet emotions because the reality is the better he plays the more likely he is to be traded in a package for a quick fix. Organization can have no patience with the current plan.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_5bEVyWVgjQ&t=892s

Quote:
Danny Green on Kuzma (@14:00)

“Kuz, he’s had the best training camp out of everybody. That confidence especially. He’s on the grey team and he’s coming at the purple team, full force, he’s attacking LeBron and AD, letting them know, ‘I’m here.’ Defensively, he’s taking on the challenge. He’s saying, ‘I wanna guard Harden, I wanna guard this guy,’ he wants to bottle them up.”

Kuzma's man-on-man defense has been a huge improvement. He's even taking a lot of charges now too. I also noticed that Kuzma gets really upset if there's a breakdown on defense, shows that he's really focused on it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject:

I can only assume his girlfriend gave him the ultimate. "I don't date non-defensive wing players."
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Still should have traded him and kept the superior Ingram but what's done is done. We have to suffer the emotional highs and lows you get from Kuz. Big moment nonetheless and irregardless against Groot and other Nugget bench fodder.

Ingram is soft, lazy and has no heart.

For all his talent, he lacks the intangibles it takes to win at the highest level.

The fact that Pelinka was able to get AD AND keep Kuz makes it a kick ass trade.

Kuz, unlike Ingram and Zo was not anointed or given anything.

He's had to earn it and it shows.

He works hard, he WANTS it and he's fearless.

He's also a perfect fit for this squad, unlike Ingram who needs the ball in his hands to be effective at all.

If the Lakers continue to actually give Kuz a real shot to shine, he will continue to prove his doubters wrong.

Sorry, I appreciate your take on Kuz, but there is no reason to crap all over BI. BI is on a path to becoming a star (if he is not there already) and is 3 years younger than Kuz. Hopefully Kuz has finally figured it out and all the talk of trading him goes away.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I can only assume his girlfriend gave him the ultimate. "I don't date non-defensive wing players."

I'm hoping it's more about being healthy and getting reps.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
RashardA wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Still should have traded him and kept the superior Ingram but what's done is done. We have to suffer the emotional highs and lows you get from Kuz. Big moment nonetheless and irregardless against Groot and other Nugget bench fodder.

For all his talent, he lacks the intangibles it takes to win at the highest level.

The fact that Pelinka was able to get AD AND keep Kuz makes it a kick ass trade.

He's also a perfect fit for this squad, unlike Ingram who needs the ball in his hands to be effective at all.

If the Lakers continue to actually give Kuz a real shot to shine, he will continue to prove his doubters wrong.

Sorry, I appreciate your take on Kuz, but there is no reason to crap all over BI. BI is on a path to becoming a star (if he is not there already) and is 3 years younger than Kuz. Hopefully Kuz has finally figured it out and all the talk of trading him goes away.

Pretty sure BI is the hardest working guy of the Laker youthcore.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
RashardA wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Side: I wonder if working out with the water bottles really did improve his skills.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
RashardA wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Side: I wonder if working out with the water bottles really did improve his skills.

The balance and body control of his jumper is improved. More comfortable pulling up off the dribble.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
RashardA wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

The balance and body control of his jumper is improved. More comfortable pulling up off the dribble.

Would you attribute that to improvement in body strength? Or is it about fundamentals? Or a bit of both?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

Kuz is hungry. We need more of that on this team, I'd keep him permanently in the starting lineup. He got his chance with KCP out and balled out, as a coach you have to reward that.

Kuz doesn't need the ball to get buckets, he is great off ball and playing off others so you can blend him with AD + Bron - especially now that he can guard wings.

Start Kuz, do not want to see him back on the bench.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LakersOutsiders/status/1293210240431697922

Unwrittenrul3s compiled some of Kuzma’s offenses plays last night.

In my opinion, Kuzma is moving without the ball like a poor man’s Klay Thompson. He’s given the Lakers a deception factor that Golden State has, which I so wished that Luke brought over.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
Kuz is hungry. We need more of that on this team, I'd keep him permanently in the starting lineup. He got his chance with KCP out and balled out, as a coach you have to reward that.

Kuz doesn't need the ball to get buckets, he is great off ball and playing off others so you can blend him with AD + Bron - especially now that he can guard wings.

Bad mews about that is Vogel said In post game interview that isn’t the plan. With all the quick guards out there they need KCP starting. In case of Denver with bigger guards Kuzma starting can work. But it’s for matchup purposes.

Although I think Kuzma will be out there to close games.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

In my opinion, Kuzma is moving without the ball like a poor man’s Klay Thompson. He’s given the Lakers a deception factor that Golden State has, which I so wished that Luke brought over.

I wish we could implement this play a bit:

💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject:

Happy for Kuz. I think some people forgot he was playing good defense the last 10-15 games before they stopped play. We are starting to see a nice well rounded player. I think a combination of NBA experience and good health are contributing factors right now.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Happy for Kuz. I think some people forgot he was playing good defense the last 10-15 games before they stopped play. We are starting to see a nice well rounded player. I think a combination of NBA experience and good health are contributing factors right now.

Behind the statement wins vs. Bucks and Clippers, this was my 2nd favorite development of the season.

And now if he becomes that consistent 3rd scoring option forming a big 3, the Lakers title chances go ⬆️⬆️⬆️
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I wish we could implement this play a bit:

Kuz would be a master at the “face cut”. Whether scoring, or kicking out to AD for an elbow 3.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

Bad mews about that is Vogel said In post game interview that isn’t the plan. With all the quick guards out there they need KCP starting. In case of Denver with bigger guards Kuzma starting can work. But it’s for matchup purposes.

To me, KCP isn't a good enough reason. He gets cooked on the regular defensively. It's not like he's lock down or can apply ball pressure like Bradley, he USED to be good on D but KCP to me has been trash on D.

I'd rather take my chances with Kuz, he at least has length to play off and contest and he puts pressure on the opposing end for the smaller guards to defend him/chase him off the ball.

Mistake by Vogel.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
RashardA wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Not crapping on Ingram, im just calling it like I see it.

He's on his way to being a gifted scorer, but he's lazy on defense shows very little fire or heart on the court.

He's still easily overpowered & he appears to quit on the court when things get thick.

These are the things I see when I watch him play.

He's putting up empty stats on a non winning team & he's getting praised for it.

If anyone gets crapped on by the fan base its Kuz.

Very few acknowledge the fact that Kuz was injured 3 different times this season on top of having to adjust to playing with 2 top 5 players while adjusting to a new role coming off the bench.

It just gets old seeing Laker fans bash and belittle a player wearing their own team colors while fawning over players who no longer play here.

Kuz is a dawg. He just needs a REAL shot to show it.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject:

^Agreed, Kuz has HEART and he has GUTS. The guy has his limitation, but he works hard and doesn't fold in the fire. I'll take that any day.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
RashardA wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

He's on his way to being a gifted scorer, but he's lazy on defense shows very little fire or heart on the court.

He's still easily overpowered & he appears to quit on the court when things get thick.

He's putting up empty stats on a non winning team & he's getting praised for it.

Very few acknowledge the fact that Kuz was injured 3 different times this season on top of having to adjust to playing with 2 top 5 players while adjusting to a new role coming off the bench.

It just gets old seeing Laker fans bash and belittle a player wearing their own team colors while fawning over players who no longer play here.

I hope you're right...I don't see it...BI is and will be superior IMO. Kuz showed a lot of promise his rookie year when nothing mattered...he has since regressed. I've mentioned before he's not even as good as Hedo Turkoglu was. In fact, people here wanted him traded straight up for Davis Bertrans and probably still do...Again I hope you're right but I've yet to see him play well consistently and until he does I'm not sold.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
RashardA wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

I’m a big BI and LONZO supporter, but this bubble showed giant holes in their games and their mentality. Kuz was beaten down all season by media, fans, and casuals alike. He couldn’t shoot to save his life so what does he do? Work on parts of his game we never knew he had. Defending the league’s best wings. Rebounding and put backs. Now his shots are falling, he’s moving without the ball. No wonder Pop likes this guy.

I was listening to a Pels blogger, and he felt Lakers fans overate players. He might be right in some aspects.. We kept on saying how great Randle and BI were on defense. Now both players are one of the worst defenders for their position in the league.

Back to Kuz. He’s not physically gifted or as talented as those Randle or BI, but his hard work is starting to show.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
During the season there's no down time between games, practice, and travel. His shot was off and now he has the time to go back to the drawing board and fix it. If they play again, I expect to see far better shooting and overall effectiveness, making the team even better.

So how long do we make excuses for Kuzma as a shooter? He wasn’t a shooter at any point in his career minus a strong streak in spl and early in his rookie year.
I'm not making excuses. He clearly had no confidence in his shots and had no resemblance of the player he's been in the past. Example: Since the combines, he's known from day 1 for shooting and making running (true) hook shots across the lane. I've seen him attempt them this season without making a single shot. His confidence and ability are effectively injured, or broken. Plus the long season seems to be wearing on him, like it does on rookies. After a slow start when he returned, he got hot from 3 for a while. Now, he has been virtually making almost none of his 3's for a while. If you think that's normal, then you haven't been watching his career.

No idea when this guy was known as a shooter. He was a poor shooter in college, had a good combine and spl. Carried it over for a couple of months rookie year but has been pretty mediocre since. Down right bad this year. He has never lacked confidence in his shot. He’s simply a guy who needs the green light to shoot to be able to do the things he does offensively. He (to this point) hasn’t proven he can be a key piece of an offense that isn’t just free flowing without structure.

The man is a microwave who adds little else consistently. He may one day become a good shooter but that’s not him yet.
You responded to my post without addressing a single thing I said, except saying he hasn't lost confidence. If you don't see a guy having a tough time making shots and not randomly launching them from outside, you're not watching. The person you call a "microwave" can barely make a shot for some time now, not resembling in any way, the player who has earned "Kuuuz" chants at home and on the road. I strongly suspect that you don't know what lack of confidence looks like in a player because nothing about his play in the past umpteen games resembles his past confidence, comparing shots he used to take, make or miss, to his recent hesitance and inability to score (I didn't watch the last game when he made zero of his 3 point attempts).

Apparently the difference in our posts is that I like him and you don't. No need to keep this going. We won't convince each other.

It’s called playing in an offense that has accountability. Tell me why it is he has the confidence when he’s a starter for AD but not when he’s a sub? Oh yeah because he isn’t allowed to freely chuck. There is a difference between a lack of confidence and simply not being allowed to take any dumb shot you want whether in the flow of the offense or not. Kuz doesn’t lack confidence. He’s shown he’s still the same guy when he’s a starter.

I still like him, and clearly, his confidence has returned. I’m guessing this dialogue is over.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
RashardA wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
RashardA wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

I’m a big BI and LONZO supporter, but this bubble showed giant holes in their games and their mentality. Kuz was beaten down all season by media, fans, and casuals alike. He couldn’t shoot to save his life so what does he do? Work on parts of his game we never knew he had. Defending the league’s best wings. Rebounding and put backs. Now his shots are falling, he’s moving without the ball. No wonder Pop likes this guy.

I was listening to a Pels blogger, and he felt Lakers fans overate players. He might be right in some aspects.. We kept on saying how great Randle and BI were on defense. Now both players are one of the worst defenders for their position in the league.

Back to Kuz. He’s not physically gifted or as talented as those Randle or BI, but his hard work is starting to show.

Hard to be good defensively when your coach doesn’t know how to coach it. Bi had becomes. Good defender under luke imo. He’s since regressed. But I didn’t see anything wrong with him mentally. Coaching is part of the issue, and honestly Zion was an issue for the Pels. He simply does nothing very good right now besides score inside. The problem there is that Favors is in the paint as well. Their lanes were clogged even while having a JJ Redick out there. They’ve got personnel changes needed. A good stretch 5 like a Myles Turner or Dedmon(cheaper version) who can d up and hit the deep range. Get a 3&d sg and decide where they’re going with jrue and lonzo because that back court isn’t going to work.

As for the OG topic at hand, Kuz. I’m still not sold and won’t be until I see him do winnings things consistently. I sincerely hope he’s turned the corner, but I’ll reserve judgement becaus he’s fooled me a time or two.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

To me, KCP isn't a good enough reason. He gets cooked on the regular defensively. It's not like he's lock down or can apply ball pressure like Bradley, he USED to be good on D but KCP to me has been trash on D.

I'd rather take my chances with Kuz, he at least has length to play off and contest and he puts pressure on the opposing end for the smaller guards to defend him/chase him off the ball.

Mistake by Vogel.

I agree with you Bandwagon. What i am hoping is this?

Vogal said during the interview there are some plays they don't run because they don't want teams to know before the playoffs.

Perhaps that could be his strategy here? He may have the intention to start Kuzma but perhaps doesn't want to show it so teams won't be prepared for it.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
I recall Kuz getting worked by Porter in the first half...has he improved...yes slightly....

First of all, Porter Jr. averaged 25+ ppg prior to that game, so he's no slouch.

I'm watching the game this morning and it's interesting how you take due credit from Kuzma, and assign undue blame for giving up 1 bucket.
Porter Jr. made all of his 6 shots against:
1) LeBron (3 pt)
2) Davis (jump shot)
3) Kuzma (backdoor cut)
4) LeBron (fast break jumper)
5) Danny Green (left wing jump shot)
6) Danny Green (fast break layup)

2 Times his D pressured Porter into turnovers:
1) dribbling off his foot
2) dribble cut off and forced to go out of bounds

Those things matter too. It's said that we overrate our players, but it's clear that there are times people withhold credit that's due.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 752, 753, 754 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 753 of 880
Jump to: