OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 630, 631, 632 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gandalf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

One thing I did observe about Kuz is that he actually tries hard on defense, although he doesn't have the natural skills to be a good defender. He is a decent shooter/slasher on offense but he seems to have awkward handles and sub-par passing skills. I'm hoping he'll progress more as the season goes.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

Carushow wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Carushow wrote:
Running plays for Kyle Kuzma? Right... How many plays did the Lakers run for Rick Fox back in the day? You are almost as delusional about Kuzma's role as Kuzma himself.

We don't call other posters "delusional" here, it's taken as an insult. Consider this a friendly warning.

Got it, sorry. What I'm trying to say is that a player of Kuzma's caliber can't expect a team that has LeBron and AD on it to to run their offense through him. He has to adapt to the situation, not the other way around.

Ringfinger is not saying we need to run the offense through Kuzma. What he is saying is that if you have skilled offensive players outside of your top two, why not run plays every now and then to tap into their strenghs, knowing that there will be nights AD and Lebron may just not have it.

For all his flaws, one thing nobody can deny about Kuzma is that he's a gifter scorer and has shown to be pretty confident in tight situations. I can almost guarantee there will be a 4th quarter or tight game situation where the Lakers would need Kuzma in particular to step up and bail them out (if it has not happened a couple of times already). Now is the time IMO to explore the possibilities.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject:

^ Exactly. I’m talking about finding a few plays, like let’s say 3, that we can run when we need it.

There are 4 role players for whom I think it would make sense to run plays for:

- Dwight Howard
- Javale McGee
- Kuzma
- Danny Green

Unless I’m missing someone, no one else has a go to offensive move or skill that we might be able to take advantage of in a pinch.
ratra_1211
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject:

he had a pretty good defensive moments in the last game. i wouldnt count him out just yet. when he gets his 3s back, he'll elevate us to the next level.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject:

ratra_1211 wrote:
he had a pretty good defensive moments in the last game. i wouldnt count him out just yet. when he gets his 3s back, he'll elevate us to the next level.

His 3 ball is already back to his first year percentages. That we think he can shoot even better means we expect him to become a 40% 3 point shooter this year.

And that will be incredibly important come playoffs
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject:

I've noticed Kuz being somewhat more involved in the offense and having plays run for him from time to time lately. The disconnect seems to be that everyone expects him to be the third option but he's not utilized that way at all. So people think something is wrong with Kuz when he's really just trying to do what he's asked. Whereas guys like Ingram and Randle were being force fed midrange isos on losing teams at this point, Kuz is asked to fill a role on a contender. It's more in line with how Bynum was developed. Everyone wanted Bynum to be unleashed but Phil wouldn't let him touch the ball until he learned to have a defensive mindset night in and night out regardless of his touches. If Kuz finds himself as a consistent third option, it will be after he hones his all around game.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."

Last edited by manlisten on Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Yue_Fei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject:

He is getting better defensively and, because his basic defensive stance is lower than last year while remaining quick on his feet, he is able to stay with wings quite well.

The major problem with Kuzma is that he stops playing after the initial defensive effort. If you watch him closely, once the shot goes up or the ball swings away from his side, he will stand up straight and be out of the play. And his man will re-locate or sneak in for a rebound. Compare him to Green and Caruso, who will put their body on the nearest opposing player, or rotate to help the helper. So frustrating.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

If you don't want to take it from me, take it from Darius Soriano over at Silver Screen and Roll. He's saying what I've been trying (but apparently failing) to convey and he can get a lot more technical than I can. (Article is from Dec 5).

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/12/5/20996157/lakers-kyle-kuzma-deserves-patience-prioritized-role-players-stats-lebron-james-pairing-davis-star

Quote:
It’s not even close to time for the Lakers to panic about Kyle Kuzma, but there are real things the team probably needs to try in order to get him to be the best version of himself he can be, which is the version of Kuzma they’ll need to reach their full potential as a team.

Quote:
From a schematic standpoint, I’d like to see Vogel use more screen actions involving Kuzma that get him on the move towards the basket rather than the stagger and wide pin-downs that are pushing him more into a shooter’s role. One of Kuzma’s better traits as a scorer is his ability to hit shots from all angles when going downhill, showing great skill with floaters and wrong footed runners that rank him near the top of the league in efficiency on these types of shots.

Quote:
Again, the goal is to play him in ways that skew towards his strengths rather than simply telling him he needs to fit in.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike Trudell
@LakersReporter

Kyle Kuzma is out tonight in Orlando due to soreness and discomfort from the left ankle sprain that happened vs. Washington (11/29). The medical staff is holding him out to promote healing; he’ll be day-to-day moving forward.

Makes sense to me
Carushow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
Mike Trudell
@LakersReporter

Kyle Kuzma is out tonight in Orlando due to soreness and discomfort from the left ankle sprain that happened vs. Washington (11/29). The medical staff is holding him out to promote healing; he’ll be day-to-day moving forward.

Makes sense to me

Does that mean he's getting traded for Iguodala, or what?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

Carushow wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:
Mike Trudell
@LakersReporter

Makes sense to me

No it means he is hurt. It wasn’t clear?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Carushow wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:
Mike Trudell
@LakersReporter

Makes sense to me

No it means he is hurt. It wasn’t clear?

If it don't make dollas, it dont make cents.
chickenjoy24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

The Lakers played him for 5 games after he tweaked his ankle and now they want to sit him out after 3 days of rest ?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

chickenjoy24 wrote:
The Lakers played him for 5 games after he tweaked his ankle and now they want to sit him out after 3 days of rest ?

Isnt' that normal?

Quote:
TheLakersReview
@TheLakersReview

“The three-year veteran injured the ankle nearly two weeks ago against the Washington Wizards but had continued to play on it through soreness and discomfort, the team said.

Seems like he was playing sore, as many people play sore. But since it didnt seem to be getting better, the med staff wanted him to sit out. Makes sense to me.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

It's wise to rest him. That's the same ankle/foot he suffered the stress reaction that kept him sidelined for over a month.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
chickenjoy24 wrote:

Isnt' that normal?

Quote:
TheLakersReview
@TheLakersReview

“The three-year veteran injured the ankle nearly two weeks ago against the Washington Wizards but had continued to play on it through soreness and discomfort, the team said.

Seems like he was playing sore, as many people play sore. But since it didnt seem to be getting better, the med staff wanted him to sit out. Makes sense to me.

Bingo. Other conclusions are trying to connect dots that aren’t there. Most of the time the most likely reason is the reason even if its the boring one =)
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

And the "hasnt been healthy all season" meter resets. The cosmic ballet goes on...
Carushow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I think they will trade him to Memphis and that's why he sits.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
And the "hasnt been healthy all season" meter resets. The cosmic ballet goes on...

It doesn’t reset.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Carushow wrote:

No thank you !!!!!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Carushow wrote:

ringfinger wrote:
Other conclusions are trying to connect dots that aren’t there. Most of the time the most likely reason is the reason even if its the boring one =)
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Anyway this will be good for us. Kuz was playing really well when healthy, then the eye thing happened, then the ankle thing happened.

Hopefully he'll play really well again once his ankle is right
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Lakers forward Kyle Kuzma out with sprained ankle

Quote:
A team source told ESPN that he has experienced more upheaval in his role than the team anticipated; Davis is playing fewer minutes at the 5 because JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard have filled that role so well. When Davis plays the 4, it pushes Kuzma out of the ideal stretch role he provides (he has lifted his 3-point percentage from 30.3% a year ago to 36% this season) and challenges him to make the most of playing out of position.

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Like a sprained ankle boy, ain't nothing to play with.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mcten/status/1205512189769068545

Shoulda signed with Nike and Klutch, cause Puma and CAA got him f’d up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 630, 631, 632 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 631 of 880
Jump to: