The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1364, 1365, 1366 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject:

By the way, let’s not be clueless and think for a second this is about basketball at all. Posts about “winning for Kobe” are nonsense. I expect either this team comes out focused or lays a huge egg. Either way I don’t even care. Saying the Lakers need to win it all now is just a stupid, ignorant thing to say. We don’t know how this plays out.

I work at LA Live, right there at Staples. Come down and see all the memorials....you will instantly get the sense this is not about basketball.

My apologies....it’s been a very hard couple of days. Bear with me.

Love you all. Lakers!! RIP Kobe.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
James’ heartfelt comments are obviously coming from a place of pain. His emotional statements reveal how much respect he has for Kobe the Man and for the family. That is amazing to see from strictly a human standpoint.

I think some of you need to temper your expectations of James being able to carry the weight of the city, Laker legacy and a magical championship ending.

The chances of winning didn’t suddenly increase. We cant expect James or the team to suddenly be more focused, intense, shooting percentages to increase, or able to play more mins. The team may be more “together” for a while. But then the realities of trades, tired legs and roster deficiencies will be right where they were a week ago.

I want a storybook ending and a championship run as much as any fan. And I’ll be watching and rooting for it. I hope James, Davis and the rest can deliver. But heaping pressure to win on his shoulders is not going to change their likelihood of winning it all.

Look at it this way. Winning is a binary. You either do or you don't. The chances of winning are an artificial concept.

If players and fans want to look for to the tragedy for hope and inspiration, is there really any negative to that? I don't think so.

Does it really add any more pressure? Probably not.

Will it actually affect the on the court play? We'll never know, no matter if we win a ring or not. The inspiration could make them play better even if they don't win or they might have won a ring this year even if this nevet happened.

So why not use the cry "win it for Kobe" if it makes people feel better?

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject:

I'm not going to defend my posts. Obviously I meant them figuratively. Leave it all out in the court. Mamba Mentality.

We might be at a disadvantage to win it all quite honestly. I have no doubt Lebron will bleed purple and gold. AD will be AD... But we lack a third scorer. We need a Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Rick Fox. Lamar was such an X factor.

I think Danny can be our Robert Horry.

Maybe it works by third scorer by committee, but every game, someone has to step into those shoes and drop 20+. We've seen way too many top heavy games this year. lebron and AD go off, then then a bunch of "triple singles" from the rest of the team.

That's what I don't see from the clippers. Harrell, Lou, Harkness... Someone is gonna be that third punch on any given night.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
By the way, let’s not be clueless and think for a second this is about basketball at all. Posts about “winning for Kobe” are nonsense. I expect either this team comes out focused or lays a huge egg. Either way I don’t even care. Saying the Lakers need to win it all now is just a stupid, ignorant thing to say. We don’t know how this plays out.

I work at LA Live, right there at Staples. Come down and see all the memorials....you will instantly get the sense this is not about basketball.

I would love it if we won it all this year, but you are correct. A championship has ZERO bearing on whether Bron and AD have done a "good job" of honoring Kobe's memory. Simply working hard everyday and getting as much out of yourself as possible honors the man.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

I would love it if we won it all this year, but you are correct. A championship has ZERO bearing on whether Bron and AD have done a "good job" of honoring Kobe's memory. Simply working hard everyday and getting as much out of yourself as possible honors the man.

Exactly. Remember, out of 20 seasons, Kobe "only" won 5 rings (which is of course amazing). So he "failed" 15/20 seasons? Of course not.

It was his legacy of unparalleled hard work, a master's devotion to technique, and a drive to compete that will define Kobe (and why we will never see anyone with that combination again). And yes, if you need to count rings to justify Kobe, go ahead.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

I agree, win it all posts are more emotional intial reaction. Basically not knowing what to say. But yes, bigger than basketball.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

I'm not even able to think about the season yet. Whatever happens, happens. I don't even care about that right now. However, I'm a fan. The players still have to get through the 2nd half of the season. That means training, eating right, practicing hard, playing hard, staying mentally focused and prepared for each game. They don't have the luxury that I do of just saying "I don't care about basketball right now". If they take inspiration from this to get through the season then who are we to judge sitting on our asses in front of our computers?
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I'm not even able to think about the season yet. Whatever happens, happens. I don't even care about that right now. However, I'm a fan. The players still have to get through the 2nd half of the season. That means training, eating right, practicing hard, playing hard, staying mentally focused and prepared for each game. They don't have the luxury that I do of just saying "I don't care about basketball right now". If they take inspiration from this to get through the season then who are we to judge sitting on our asses in front of our computers?

Bingo. And I'm getting off mine and heading to the gym, mamba style!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Bingo. And I'm getting off mine and heading to the gym, mamba style!

Sing it.. let it fill your every cell
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
We shouldn’t expect a title from anyone in this organization. We should support them win or lose. We are all human.

Amen.

When Chick passed away, everyone was telling the team to win it for Chick. Didn't happen. Same when Dr. Buss passed away, win it for Dr. Buss. Didn't happen. This is bigger than winning. Someone and his child just passed away. Every fan should come together to just support the team.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

Man I don’t even care if we win the title this year or the next 3 even. Our beloved laker and his daughter, and some close people to them are gone way too soon!

I’d happily give up any title hopes in my lifetime to have them all alive and well.

Don’t put this pressure on Lebron or anyone else. This is much bigger than basketball
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
LeBron is on a MISSION

https://www.instagram.com/p/B72NUtWA0gS/?igshid=1dw7xzq3a7nop

Amazing
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
James’ heartfelt comments are obviously coming from a place of pain. His emotional statements reveal how much respect he has for Kobe the Man and for the family. That is amazing to see from strictly a human standpoint.

I think some of you need to temper your expectations of James being able to carry the weight of the city, Laker legacy and a magical championship ending.

The chances of winning didn’t suddenly increase. We cant expect James or the team to suddenly be more focused, intense, shooting percentages to increase, or able to play more mins. The team may be more “together” for a while. But then the realities of trades, tired legs and roster deficiencies will be right where they were a week ago.

I want a storybook ending and a championship run as much as any fan. And I’ll be watching and rooting for it. I hope James, Davis and the rest can deliver. But heaping pressure to win on his shoulders is not going to change their likelihood of winning it all.

If they play for Kobe they cannot let us down. Whether they bring home the championship or not. All I know is that the fans are gonna be there as inspiration and support for their mission this season.
They can do no wrong
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject:

Burying contempt for LBJ and embracing him as Lakers fam is precisely what Kobe probably wanted his fans to do. LBJ carries that heavy burden now and we as fans are here to support him. It's never going to be Kobe v. LBJ anymore; these two are now inextricably tied together.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Judah wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
There is literally no other acceptable outcome. I believe he has it in him. Do it for Mamba and Gigi.

Same goes for AD. You wanted to be a Laker? Now show us.

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
This has to have Lebron totally freaked out. He passes Kobe in all time scoring in a 20 point loss, then Kobe dies.

He knows what he's has to do...

He has to bleed purple and gold. He has to be willing to die for this team. Championship or die. Period.

Yes, I'm using the word "die" figuratively.

Watch him play in honor of Kobe
I feel we are about to see something very special

I can’t believe his girl was with him when the helicopter went down
That news hit me even harder, if that was even possible

Stop with this freaking nonsense. THIS IS NOT EVEN ABOUT BASKETBALL.

And all you're doing is setting LeBron, AD, and the team up for unbearable criticism by making it about that. STOP. You people ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Kobe WAS basketball. He lived it and shared it with us all.
Maybe you feel it’s nonsense. I disagree completely.
Sports unites us. It can heal us. It’s certainly brought me some of the most joyful moments of my entire life..
I get that you’re in pain. We all are, man. I cried at least 10 times today.
I don’t think anyone is setting LeBron or the team we love up for unbearable criticisms. They’re gonna channel the kind of spirit Kobe embodied and make us all proud, whether they win or lose this season.

How are we supposed to heal if we can’t put all the love we had for Kobe behind our guys right now. I hope you can understand where I’m coming from on this one. Cause I don’t feel ashamed at all about feeling that way.

Kobe would absolutely want this team to reach for the stars

No, that's not what I said or what I responded to at all. Look at these comments:

"There is literally no other acceptable outcome...Same goes for AD. You wanted to be a Laker? Now show us."

"He knows what he [LeBron] has to do...Championship or die. Period."

^That is absurd. And yes, it certainly does set this team up for unfathomable criticism if they don't win the title. It's just dumb to look at it that way and it's not fair to them. It's not fair to put that kind of pressure on this team, including LeBron and AD. Just let these guys play. Let them channel their grief and give it everything they have. But if they don't win it all, don't bring out the pitchforks and treat it as some sort of indictment against them that they're not cut out to be Lakers, don't really honor Kobe's legacy, or some other nonsense. By this logic, I guess the 2003 Lakers failed to honor Chick since they didn't win the title that year. See how dumb that sounds? The team is going to use Kobe's death as a source of motivation, obviously, but that's a VERY different thing from what is being communicated in those comments I quoted.

And that "You wanted to be a Laker? Show us" crap is just condescending as ever. Like, dude, AD doesn't even know who you are lol. Stop it.

I kinda wish you would stop telling your fellow Laker fans that they should be ashamed of themselves.
Lay off the judgments right now, man.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Yeah was busted up all day 1 to only get busted up even harder on day 2 with Lebron

Lebron’s Instagram wrote:
I’m Not Ready but here I go. Man I sitting here trying to write something for this post but every time I try I begin crying again just thinking about you, niece Gigi and the friendship/bond/brotherhood we had! I literally just heard your voice Sunday morning before I left Philly to head back to LA. Didn’t think for one bit in a million years that would be the last conversation we’d have. WTF!! I’m heartbroken and devastated my brother!! 😢😢😢😢💔. Man I love you big bro. My heart goes to Vanessa and the kids. I promise you I’ll continue your legacy man! You mean so much to us all here especially #LakerNation💜💛 and it’s my responsibility to put this (bleep) on my back and keep it going!! Please give me the strength from the heavens above and watch over me! I got US here! There’s so much more I want to say but just can’t right now because I can’t get through it! Until we meet again my brother!! #Mamba4Life❤️🙏🏾 #Gigi4Life❤️🙏🏾
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I’m good now. First day was the worst. And having lost a family member close to me, you can’t wait for the day nothing about them affects you because it always will.

Ready to move forward, the way Kobe would.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
We shouldn’t expect a title from anyone in this organization. We should support them win or lose. We are all human.

Amen.

When Chick passed away, everyone was telling the team to win it for Chick. Didn't happen. Same when Dr. Buss passed away, win it for Dr. Buss. Didn't happen. This is bigger than winning. Someone and his child just passed away. Every fan should come together to just support the team.

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:

I kinda wish you would stop telling your fellow Laker fans that they should be ashamed of themselves.

Then again, there is the judgement from fans that seem to insinuate that if Bron and AD don't lead us to a ring this year, they have somehow failed Kobe. Now maybe that's not really what they meant, but it kinda seemed like they did.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B74ZQtqgTht/?igshid=13fradhowtd9y
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:

Then again, there is the judgement from fans that seem to insinuate that if Bron and AD don't lead us to a ring this year, they have somehow failed Kobe. Now maybe that's not really what they meant, but it kinda seemed like they did.

Well, I certainly hope not.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Whether we win a chip or not....what I will expect from the Lakers is to play more inspired and with focus and effort that I have never seen from any other Laker team....no lazy half ass complacent performances. Not this season
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject:

What I truly expect is the bond between this organization and this city will grow even more if that's possible. Chip or not, we are all hurting together and these guys will be loved like they've never been loved before. That's true success.

But if they do win, this will be bigger than Cleveland. LBJ will be forever a legend and a conquering hero in LA.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject:

I’m hoping for a 24 game win streak, rest starters after that’s accomplished. Not a lot of room for error with 36 games left, but wouldn’t that be something?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

I am not even brave enough to read how he has reacted. After reading BIG Shaq's feelings I'm not ready for LeBrons yet

I know a part of me is looking back wishing I had never judged LeBron in the past without knowing more about him
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1364, 1365, 1366 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1365 of 2079
Jump to: