The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1191, 1192, 1193 ... 2080, 2081, 2082  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
And I’m not even a LBJ fan (check my posts before he became a Laker).

Brawn or D'Lo, who would you rather have on the team right now?

I would assume you’re joking. Russell? Omg, can we get over this guy. My god he is so overrated by some.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

The hypocrisy of LeBron is bigger than basketball because he's the one who decides when he wants to cherry pick social causes to support. If you support people and have a heart for justice -- then you do it when it's unpopular and not just when you are insulated from repercussions. Otherwise, you just shut up and let the real fighters do their work.[/quote]

I agree with this but unfortunately a lot of companies and people do it. I Watch the games wish people well but at the end of the day just know most of the stuff other then basketball is mass marketing and garbage. Not their personal lives just their marketing lives, example commercials, shoes, sprite etc.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

It has EVERYTHING to do with basketball. When LeBron needs to sacrifice without an assured or high probability of success; he will find a way not to do whatever is required to succeed.

The way he handled China is the same way he handles TRUE adversity. Quits or blames someone else. But this is the SAME dude who was pushing Black Lives Matters and supporting Colin Kaepernick without hesitation.

The hypocrisy of LeBron is bigger than basketball because he's the one who decides when he wants to cherry pick social causes to support. If you support people and have a heart for justice -- then you do it when it's unpopular and not just when you are insulated from repercussions. Otherwise, you just shut up and let the real fighters do their work.

Oh we back on this? So where is the fan and Congressional uproar over NBA players refusing to stand with the protestors in Ecuador, Chile, or Spain--just to name a few of the recent hotspots where protestors for "democracy" were brutally repressed by the state. I don't see anyone caring about the lack of NBA player sympathy for the plight of the Kurds or the Yemenis. And where is the fan uproar because Lebron hasn't spoken up about climate change?

Nah, it's the fans and media talking heads who decide to cherry pick what's relevant. There are plenty of other social causes Lebron could be speaking up for which would impact his and other's bottom line and which he doesn't (see, for example, his Sprite commercials, wherein he helps sell sugar water that is a part of the obesity epidemic). But nah, we're all going to get worked up over this one issue.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
The hypocrisy of LeBron is bigger than basketball because he's the one who decides when he wants to cherry pick social causes to support. If you support people and have a heart for justice -- then you do it when it's unpopular and not just when you are insulated from repercussions. Otherwise, you just shut up and let the real fighters do their work.

We all cherry pick what causes we care about.

I do a lot of volunteer work, but I couldn’t possible become educated about, care about, and actively work on or talk about every important social cause in the world. I doubt you do either. Seems like you are holding athletes to an impossible standard.

Tome, the big problem isn't athletes/celebrities making stupid comments. It's the celebrity culture where people expect them to comment on things they really have no business (or often no desire) to talk about.

Personally, I thought Lebron's China comments were idiotic. But as far as I can make out, the guy does a lot of good social work -- much more than most people. So I don't think it's fair to bash him over and over for this incident and pretend it represents all he's ever done.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

We all cherry pick what causes we care about.

I do a lot of volunteer work, but I couldn’t possible become educated about, care about, and actively work on or talk about every important social cause in the world. I doubt you do either. Seems like you are holding athletes to an impossible standard.

Tome, the big problem isn't athletes/celebrities making stupid comments. It's the celebrity culture where people expect them to comment on things they really have no business (or often no desire) to talk about.

Personally, I thought Lebron's China comments were idiotic. But as far as I can make out, the guy does a lot of good social work -- much more than most people. So I don't think it's fair to bash him over and over for this incident and pretend it represents all he's ever done.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

During our quest for our next championship there will also be a few notable milestones that LBJ will probably reach this season.

* LeBron James (32,543 career points entering the 2019-20 season) needs 1,101 points to pass Kobe Bryant (33,643) for third place on the NBA’s all-time scoring list.

* LeBron James (1,937 career steals) is ranked 16th all-time in steals and can climb as high as 13th place this season.

* LeBron James (8,662 career assists entering the 2019-20 season) is the only player that ranks in the top 10 all time in both points and assists. He is ranked 10th in assists and could climb to eighth this season.

* LeBron James (11,838 career field goals made) is ranked 5th all-time. LBJ needs 355 made field goals to pass Michael Jordan for 4th place.

* LeBron James (7,140 career free throws made) is ranked 8th all-time in free throws made and should climb into the top five this season.
LBJ needs 21 FTM to pass laker great Jerry West (7160) for seventh place.

* LeBron James (46,234 career minutes played) ranks 15th in NBA history and could climb as high as 7th all time this season.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
During our quest for our next championship there will also be a few notable milestones that LBJ will probably reach this season.

* LeBron James (32,543 career points entering the 2019-20 season) needs 1,101 points to pass Kobe Bryant (33,643) for third place on the NBA’s all-time scoring list.

* LeBron James (1,937 career steals) is ranked 16th all-time in steals and can climb as high as 13th place this season.

* LeBron James (8,662 career assists entering the 2019-20 season) is the only player that ranks in the top 10 all time in both points and assists. He is ranked 10th in assists and could climb to eighth this season.

* LeBron James (11,838 career field goals made) is ranked 5th all-time. LBJ needs 355 made field goals to pass Michael Jordan for 4th place.

* LeBron James (7,140 career free throws made) is ranked 8th all-time in free throws made and should climb into the top five this season.

* LeBron James (46,234 career minutes played) ranks 15th in NBA history and could climb as high as 7th all time this season.

I think he'll go down as the greatest regular season player of all time. Only other argument is Wilt.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
pio2u wrote:

I think he'll go down as the greatest regular season player of all time. Only other argument is Wilt.

Another Laker.

It's incredible when you look at most top 15 lists, we have so many ex Lakers.

KAJ
Magic
Kobe
Shaq
Wilt
LBJ
Baylor
West
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Wilt is pretty untouchable as the regular season GOAT imo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Both he and LBJ came to the Lakers later in their careers, and after already logging the bulk of their great HOF careers. Wilt has a lot of fanfare still today. My hope is one day those who just despise LBJ period can at least come to a Wilt level respect. Of course LBJ has to earn that ring though. Wouldn't it be sweet irony if he is the one that ties us with Boston for rings (and beyond)?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Both he and LBJ came to the Lakers later in their careers, and after already logging the bulk of their great HOF careers. Wilt has a lot of fanfare still today. My hope is one day those who just despise LBJ period can at least come to a Wilt level respect. Of course LBJ has to earn that ring though. Wouldn't it be sweet irony if he is the one that ties us with Boston for rings (and beyond)?

It will be even sweeter this season when you add Rondo to the mix. He could become the 1st player to ever win championships as a member of both the Lakers & the Celtics.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:
I stopped arguing with Kobe fans in 2010 for a reason. New year and the same posters spewing the same hate now with a +1. Enjoy the season guys. Let’s hope the boys stay healthy. Oh, and no player is a better elimination player than LeBron James. Just thought I’d add that fact.

Once again. That is not a fact. It is an opinion. Perhaps a valid one, perhaps not. Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and many other legends of the game and their fans could add their own “facts” to that debate.
LeBron shrunk in the 4th quarter of the Finals vs Dallas in perhaps the most embarrassing display of ineptitude the league has ever seen from a player with his abilities.
The last minutes of game 6 vs the Spurs before Ray Allen hit that corner 3 was All-Time pathetic. THAT is closer to a fact than your simplistically whitewashed statement claiming the opposite.
The truth is there are so many instances where LeBron ran from the big moments or just played scared when it mattered most that it’s borderline comical to hear these types of utterances about the guy.
Now, the moment he Finally lived up to the challenge was that game 6 performance on the road vs Boston when the Heat were facing elimination.
That was an epic showing. No denying that. But that was almost 10 years into his career. Kobe already had ice in his veins by the age of 21. He proved it over and over again during back to back to back championships.
Your conjecture is merely that, albeit echoed by a chorus of drones repeating the same thing for a decade.

Jordan to his credit did not face games 7s so we will never really know. Kobe has not impressed in Game 7s. Referencing Ray’s game tying shot is and will remain ridiculous when you consider that shot becomes irrelevant if Bron doesn’t have the 4th quarter he had. He also hit a big time 3 right before that shot which gave the Heat a chance. There’s many things LeBron detractors can point to, but him being the standard during game 7s is much closer to a fact than an opinion. I don’t have the numbers but it may actually be a fact. He goes down fighting almost every time. Dallas is the only series someone can point to him coming up small in his storied career. His longevity may allow him to be the all-time scorer and he’s already 10 top in assist.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

It shouldnt be difficult for people to love his on-court talent while not being fond of some of his off-court actions. Or vice versa.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Lebron ain't the GOAT and I'll take a prime Kobe over him. However, some of you guys just can't stop whining about him and are so scared that he might actually succeed in leading us to another ring. So bizarre.

I hope he does lead us to a championship.
I just want the nonsense about him being obviously better than Kobe to stop already. People can have their opinions, but far too often I’ve heard statements like, “It’s just a Fact that LeBron is better..”
No patience for that junk

Nah, I don't lump you in with the people I'm talking about, LaLa. You've actually admitted in a few posts that Lebron is an NBA great. Far more reasonable than some others here.

Much appreciated
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I've said this many times.

You put Kobe in LBJ's body, and it's over. Skills wise, it's a no brainer to me between Kobe and LBJ.

However, you can't deny LBJ's skills too, even if it's below Kobe's level. However, this will never be a fair analysis here on a Lakers website (even though LBJ is currently a Laker). And to discredit non-Lakers fans who give opinions when they weigh in on LBJ/Kobe is also a bit unfair.

Luckily, I frankly don't care as I've enjoyed many great years of Kobe, and now get to see LBJ/AD.

Good sentiment 👍
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

Jordan. Kobe. They had their share of off court issues too. Even Magic. None of these guys were saints. But they occupy rarified air. At least to LBJ's credit, he has not had any of the scandals that plagued these guys.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

ZeroDark30_ wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:
I stopped arguing with Kobe fans in 2010 for a reason. New year and the same posters spewing the same hate now with a +1. Enjoy the season guys. Let’s hope the boys stay healthy. Oh, and no player is a better elimination player than LeBron James. Just thought I’d add that fact.

Once again. That is not a fact. It is an opinion. Perhaps a valid one, perhaps not. Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and many other legends of the game and their fans could add their own “facts” to that debate.
LeBron shrunk in the 4th quarter of the Finals vs Dallas in perhaps the most embarrassing display of ineptitude the league has ever seen from a player with his abilities.
The last minutes of game 6 vs the Spurs before Ray Allen hit that corner 3 was All-Time pathetic. THAT is closer to a fact than your simplistically whitewashed statement claiming the opposite.
The truth is there are so many instances where LeBron ran from the big moments or just played scared when it mattered most that it’s borderline comical to hear these types of utterances about the guy.
Now, the moment he Finally lived up to the challenge was that game 6 performance on the road vs Boston when the Heat were facing elimination.
That was an epic showing. No denying that. But that was almost 10 years into his career. Kobe already had ice in his veins by the age of 21. He proved it over and over again during back to back to back championships.
Your conjecture is merely that, albeit echoed by a chorus of drones repeating the same thing for a decade.

Jordan to his credit did not face games 7s so we will never really know. Kobe has not impressed in Game 7s. Referencing Ray’s game tying shot is and will remain ridiculous when you consider that shot becomes irrelevant if Bron doesn’t have the 4th quarter he had. He also hit a big time 3 right before that shot which gave the Heat a chance. There’s many things LeBron detractors can point to, but him being the standard during game 7s is much closer to a fact than an opinion. I don’t have the numbers but it may actually be a fact. He goes down fighting almost every time. Dallas is the only series someone can point to him coming up small in his storied career. His longevity may allow him to be the all-time scorer and he’s already 10 top in assist.

You said “elimination” games. Those are not just game 7’s.
And you may want to watch the last 5 or 6 minutes or so of that game against the Spurs. He was choking BigTime.
This particular narrative is a bit rose colored, IMO
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

kinda strange to even compare Kobe and Lebron. The sheer power in Lebron's game, the combo of size and agility plus court vision, to be able to simply shrug guys off while driving to the basket. Even comparing Kobe with MJ, MJ had those ridiculous hands. You can look at various things but comparing these guys to each other is still a lot of apples to oranges type comparisons. Kobe wouldn't do this or that in that particular situation, Lebron would, etc. etc.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:

And you may want to watch the last 5 or 6 minutes or so of that game against the Spurs. He was choking BigTime.

He's withered in some elimination games for sure. But he's also had some spectacular ones, and will be the only one of the top 10 to say that he took out a healthy Warriors team in the Finals.

I think we're incredibly difficult on these great guys. I mean, Kobe's had some really bad elimination games too, no? But does that mean you wouldn't want him in your corner in a big game? Of course not.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
. . .
It will be even sweeter this season when you add Rondo to the mix. He could become the 1st player to ever win championships as a member of both the Lakers & the Celtics.

True, but Bill Sharman won:

4 championships as a Celtics player (57, 59, 60 & 61)
1 as the Lakers Head Coach (72),
2 as the Lakers General Manager (80, 82), and
3 as the Lakers Team President (85,87 & 88).

[He also won a ring in the ABA as a Head Coach]
ProfessorKel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Another Laker.

It's incredible when you look at most top 15 lists, we have so many ex Lakers.

KAJ
Magic
Kobe
Shaq
Wilt
LBJ
Baylor
West

No wonder people hate us
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

Rondo has bigger hands than Lebron? Wow

Honorable Mention: LeBron James, 9″

27. Rajon Rondo, 10″
The first guard on the list, Rajon Rondo is known for having some of the biggest hands of any active NBA ball-handler. Rondo’s dexterity is super impressive, especially considering how most top point guards aren’t known for having huge hands.

https://www.tiebreaker.com/nba-largest-hand-sizes-history/
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:

He's withered in some elimination games for sure. But he's also had some spectacular ones, and will be the only one of the top 10 to say that he took out a healthy Warriors team in the Finals.

I think we're incredibly difficult on these great guys. I mean, Kobe's had some really bad elimination games too, no? But does that mean you wouldn't want him in your corner in a big game? Of course not.

All true statements, indeed.
Don’t agree with crowning him Greatest Elimination Game player of all-time, that’s all.
His Final’s record renders such proclamations invalid. At least to this hoops fan.

One nitpick though. He will be the only top ten player to have ever faced the Warriors when healthy in the Finals. Not fair to assume how other greats would have matched up, in my estimation. Other than that, you are spot on
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

ZeroDark30_ wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
LeBron is one of the all-time great players and I’m happy he’s a Laker.

But if I could choose between the two for a do-or-die game, I’ll take Kobe all day long. If Kobe dies, he’s gonna die with his boots on. LeBron hasn’t always left this fan with that impression.

When people says do-or-die game, I'm assuming they are talking about game 7... Fact is Kobe does not play up to his caliber in game 7. Lebron is probably considered one of the best game 7 performers.

Game 7 Career Stats:
Lebron - 34.8 PPG, 9.2 RPG, 5.1 APG
Kobe - 22.2 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 5.0 APG

Just now seeing this post cause I’m not following the thread. Cool that someone else knows this too. No one rises higher than him during elimination games. When it’s win or go home, game 7, LeBron is the best performer of all time.

But when it’s win or go home, game 4, he didn’t show.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
And I’m not even a LBJ fan (check my posts before he became a Laker).

Brawn or D'Lo, who would you rather have on the team right now?

Why not both?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1191, 1192, 1193 ... 2080, 2081, 2082  Next
Page 1192 of 2082
Jump to: