The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1155, 1156, 1157 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Isn't it crazy that an in-prime Kawhi at the tender age of 27 last year was load managing and will do so for the rest of his career?

I don't think it's crazy.

It's a function of him (1) having some significant injuries and (2) greater understanding/research of the long term and short term benefits of reducing stress on athletes' bodies.

As science gathers even more information, I suspect we will see load management applied to even NBA rookies, and even perhaps to college and high school players.

Older guys, who played in an era where you "toughed things out," will see this as weakness. But it's really just being smart about maximizing the effectiveness of players and extending their careers.

I suspect in the future, fans will shake their heads in disbelief about the foolishness of older players who used to never take off games, played a lot of minutes, and came back too early from injuries.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Isn't it crazy that an in-prime Kawhi at the tender age of 27 last year was load managing and will do so for the rest of his career?

It's a function of him (1) having some significant injuries and (2) greater understanding/research of the long term and short term benefits of reducing stress on athlete's bodies.

As science improves, we will likely see load management applied to even NBA rookies, and even perhaps college and high school players.

Older guys, who played in an era where you "toughed things out," will see this as weakness. But it's really just being smart about maximizing the effectiveness of players and extending their careers.

There’s no real way of knowing if this tactic will extend careers.
That is just an assumption, albeit a logical one at least
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's a function of him (1) having some significant injuries and (2) greater understanding/research of the long term and short term benefits of reducing stress on athlete's bodies.

As science improves, we will likely see load management applied to even NBA rookies, and even perhaps college and high school players.

Maybe so, but I think there is real research/science that demonstrates "playing through it" or "toughing it out" contributes to injuries/career reducing events. Somebody here had posted a few articles around this recently, but I can't find them now.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Maybe so, but I think there is real research/science that demonstrates "playing through it" or "toughing it out" contributes to injuries/career reducing events. Somebody here had posted a few articles around this recently, but I can't find them now.

There is an impressive amount of research about the effects of cumulative stress on athlete's bodies. So you can make some reasonable assumptions, or hypothesis, about the benefits of load management.

However, it will take time to gather more data to figure out how effective load management is, and what approaches to load management work best.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:
LeBron organizing a Lakers team mini-camp in Vegas to build chemistry before the real training camp starts:

https://twitter.com/stadium/status/1159102296560668672?s=21

I suggested he do this before last season....also saw reports that Kawhi is doing the same thing with Clippers.

I was surprised he didn't do it last year. But he's done it several times since his Heat and Cleveland days, so I'd like to think he had a good reason(s) for not doing it last year.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

There is an impressive amount of research about the effects of cumulative stress on athlete's bodies. So you can make some reasonable assumptions, or hypothesis, about the benefits of load management.

However, it will take time to gather more data to figure out how effective load management is, and what approaches to load management work best.

Fair enough points, to be sure
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Load management may or may not extend careers. It possibly can. What happens when a guy who has been old managing his career and gets an injury at 28 that get really reduces his athleticism? He’s been load managing all those years when he could have maximized his prime by playing a regular schedule.

There is over exerting your body and playing through too many injuries that can be harmful. To load manage just to do it? I don’t agree with it. Maximize your youth. Your athleticism will naturally decrease with age.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

makes sense. Load manage LeBron, not Kawhi. at 27, Kawhi should have boundless energy.

Super Mega Team wrote:
Load management may or may not extend careers. It possibly can. What happens when a guy who has been old managing his career and gets an injury at 28 that get really reduces his athleticism? He’s been load managing all those years when he could have maximized his prime by playing a regular schedule.

There is over exerting your body and playing through too many injuries that can be harmful. To load manage just to do it? I don’t agree with it. Maximize your youth. Your athleticism will naturally decrease with age.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Keep saying it but the whole key for the Lakers for the next three years is keeping Lebron healthy.
Just get into the playoffs and let him work his magic.

So this makes it imperative that the Lakers get a defensive SF with the last spot. And don't wait for Iggy if possible.

Again the phase "load management" comes into play What does it mean?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's a function of him (1) having some significant injuries and (2) greater understanding/research of the long term and short term benefits of reducing stress on athletes' bodies.

As science gathers even more information, I suspect we will see load management applied to even NBA rookies, and even perhaps to college and high school players.

I suspect in the future, fans will shake their heads in disbelief about the foolishness of older players who used to never take off games, played a lot of minutes, and came back too early from injuries.

I actually like the Philly idea of sitting 18 yo players for a season, getting their bodies up to NBA shape.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
ocho wrote:
LeBron organizing a Lakers team mini-camp in Vegas to build chemistry before the real training camp starts:

Thrilled to see this type of leadership by James.

Anything the Lakers can do to accelerate the process of building team commitment and chemistry will help this season be successful. They have a long way to go but this is a great first step.

Will be interesting to see if only a few select players show up or all from starters to end of the bench players included.

Lol of course everyone will be included. That's how this works. The whole point of it is to build chemistry. That doesn't happen if guys are left out. And I'm more than sure that all of them will gladly attend.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I actually like the Philly idea of sitting 18 yo players for a season, getting their bodies up to NBA shape.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, except maybe Fultz? But he sat because he was injured.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about, except maybe Fultz?

Or is this something they suggested in conjunction with the proposal to drop the draft age from 19 to 18?
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject:

I'm not a big fan of 18-19 year olds coming into the league that can't shoot or learned how to play man on man defense.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject:

I haven't seen nobody commenting on the NCAA rules changes for agent requirements. I would just like to say I agree with Lebron, and the NCAA is mad on top of them being money, and power here hungry. Getting a bachelor degree has nothing to do with education. It is about money and control. Just setting back ambitious people's chances of making something of themselves. This is what they do throughout history. Whenever somebody comes from nothing to make something of themselves they just got to try and make it harder. For what? What can you possibly learn in two more years of college that you can't learn with experience?
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject:

Well, in the case of mature max players (hehe), if the player in question is injury prone or is coming from an injury then it is justify,

In the case of Max players in their prime and trying to use LB to extend his efectiviness, it is justify if the player has a cronic degenerative condition. For example, we all saw although KL didn't play 20 games, his play in the finals was grueling. In KL case is justify.

In the case of AD, which can be considered a Max player in his prime @ 26 yrs and had some to many minor injuries thruout his career, you can reduce his minutes but doing LB with him is not justify.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
I haven't seen nobody commenting on the NCAA rules changes for agent requirements. I would just like to say I agree with Lebron, and the NCAA is mad on top of them being money, and power here hungry. Getting a bachelor degree has nothing to do with education. It is about money and control. Just setting back ambitious people's chances of making something of themselves. This is what they do throughout history. Whenever somebody comes from nothing to make something of themselves they just got to try and make it harder. For what? What can you possibly learn in two more years of college that you can't learn with experience?

It's a travesty. All they did was earn more bad PR and officially catapult Rich Paul into GOAT status. You know you're a legend when your dominance provokes a rule change. He's a boss among bosses and they can't handle it.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

It's a travesty. All they did was earn more bad PR and officially catapult Rich Paul into GOAT status. You know you're a legend when your dominance provokes a rule change. He's a boss among bosses and they can't handle it.

Travesty was the first word that popped in my head when I read the news.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Yeah that "Bachelor's Degree" rule is straight trash. I know lots of people without a BA/BS who are much more intelligent and capable than some who do have one. Travesty is a good word to describe it. A load of total (bleep) (bleep) is another.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:

I suggested he do this before last season....also saw reports that Kawhi is doing the same thing with Clippers.

I was surprised he didn't do it last year. But he's done it several times since his Heat and Cleveland days, so I'd like to think he had a good reason(s) for not doing it last year.

there seemed to be a number of informal practices last year where large chunks of the team showed up
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Judah wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:

there seemed to be a number of informal practices last year where large chunks of the team showed up

Sure, but that happens every year. I still remember during that summer when they drafted Russell that Mitch said he had never seen so many players out at the practice facility like that everyday. So that kind of thing happens. But that's not what this is. This is a mini training camp. This is typically accompanied with travel.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Kawhi is scheduling mini camp in September but heard he will participate only 50% because of load management

😂🤣😂
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

The NCAA like so many things in life is one big scam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:

There was no point to build camaraderie when he knew most of the team wont be back or traded.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Fair enough points, to be sure

Larry Bird and other players were advocating for a shorter regular season (60 games-ish) back in the 80's - the issue is the owners. They want to maximize interest and revenues by having the best guys out there. If they could, the owners would have 120 game seasons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1155, 1156, 1157 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1156 of 2079
Jump to: