The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1148, 1149, 1150 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I would have preferred Cauley Stein over Noel or Cousins.

I would even prefer they had locked him up for 3/4 years in fact. Only 26 and would have provided a solid rotation with McGee for the next couple.

McGee and WCS would be redundant. Cousins adds shooting and playmaking ability. I like having Cousins and McGee because they each bring different dimensions to the game.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

I would even prefer they had locked him up for 3/4 years in fact. Only 26 and would have provided a solid rotation with McGee for the next couple.

McGee and WCS would be redundant. Cousins adds shooting and playmaking ability. I like having Cousins and McGee because they each bring different dimensions to the game.

I like having Cousins on the team too, it's a great deal @ $3.5m... but simply to play Devil's advocate... what if McGee gets injured one week before the playoffs or suffers a relapse of pneumonia... would WCS still be redundant then? What if we discover Cousins doesn't work with LeBron + AD? What happens if Cousins plays real good, gets offered more than the non-taxpeyer MLE and leaves in 2020? WCS could have been a good option too, who could have been had longer term for cheaper.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:42 pm; edited 6 times in total
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

And with Davis, he can work with cousins(ala pelicans) and roam the perimeter with McGee. These 3 all compliment each other, it’s up to Vogel to realize that
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

They all have strengths and and weaknesses. Personally I would prefer the defensive anchor having McGee and Cauley- Stein.

Cauley -Stien actually finished with similar numbers as McGee. And not sure about his offensive ineptitude. He did finish in top 20 FG%. He works hard, knows his role, rebounds and defends. I would love that redundancy!

I'm not as high on Cousins as most around here. I am hoping he can find his role with this team. But he has never worked hard on defense, even before his injury. Can he get get back his mobility, which was sub par before the Achilles.

His 3pt capabilities (last year 27%) need to get back to career levels. His playmaking, pts and FT% may help but he tends to play out of control all too often leading to bad shots, techs and TO's. Add to that his tendency to having a bad attitude and and locker room irritation.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the defense. Lakers will only go as far as they can in the playoffs based more on their getting consistent stops. How quickly they come together and how hard they are willing to play defense every night will dictate this season's success IMO.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

McGee and WCS would be redundant.

Except that one is an actual shot blocker and the other one only looks like a shot blocker.

Javale: 75 games/148 blocks (5th in the NBA)

Danny Green: 80 games/53 blocks (62nd)

WCS: 81 games/51 blocks (69th)

Last edited by numero-ocho on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:

The outrage when we "missed out" on Willie Cauley-Stein puzzled me then and it puzzles me now. Also, is this still the Lebron thread or has it been changed to the Marginal NBA Center thread?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
The outrage when we "missed out" on Willie Cauley-Stein puzzled me then and it puzzles me now. Also, is this still the Lebron thread or has it been changed to the Marginal NBA Center thread?

"Outrage" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? I call it a preference.

You are correct, sometimes it is easy to go of on a tangent. My initial point is the Lakers need multiple defenders to be a solid defensive team. Putting James in a position to play passing lanes and ease off on his perimeter defense. An issue that is not going to get any better over the next couple years.

Also would have preferred a multi year signing of a promising player like Cauley Stein over short term signings that will only create more roster instability over the next couple years. I know the current narrative is "salary flexibility". I see an ongoing musical chairs on the roster that only continues the quest for roster chemistry balanced against James' ongoing Farewell Tour.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

You are correct, sometimes it is easy to go of on a tangent. My initial point is the Lakers need multiple defenders to be a solid defensive team. Putting James in a position to play passing lanes and ease off on his perimeter defense. An issue that is not going to get any better over the next couple years.

Also would have preferred a multi year signing of a promising player like Cauley Stein over short term signings that will only create more roster instability over the next couple years. I know the current narrative is "salary flexibility". I see an ongoing musical chairs on the roster that only continues the quest for roster chemistry balanced against James' ongoing Farewell Tour.

One could argue that WCS as an insurance policy is more of a luxury while Cousins gives the team another dimension to work with.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Is the plan not to play AD at center at all? Frankly, I don't think we really need McGee.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Is the plan not to play AD at center at all? Frankly, I don't think we really need McGee.

I def think he gets 10mpg at Center.. they'll all play every game, but Mcgee is largely Demarcus' insurance policy since he's injury prone
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I def think he gets 10mpg at Center.. they'll all play every game, but Mcgee is largely Demarcus' insurance policy since he's injury prone

JM did have an amazing start to last year before he came down with pneumonia. If he can recapture some of the fire from then, with his athleticism he could still have big impact on this team. I was not his biggest fan but for what we signed him for it make senses. A no risk high reward contract.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

JM did have an amazing start to last year before he came down with pneumonia. If he can recapture some of the fire from then, with his athleticism he could still have big impact on this team. I was not his biggest fan but for what we signed him for it make senses. A no risk high reward contract.

They gave him a 2-year contract.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I have my doubts. Remember when we (well a few of us) thought Lebron might get some minutes at center? In this new player empowerment era, particularly when a team is as beholden to please as the Lakers currently are, if it's even possible.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

They gave him a 2-year contract.

But at 4 million per, that's nothing. He's worth more than that and we could trade that contract in a second if we had too
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I have my doubts. Remember when we (well a few of us) thought Lebron might get some minutes at center? In this new player empowerment era, particularly when a team is as beholden to please as the Lakers currently are, if it's even possible.

I never thought Bron would play Center... that's 2 positions up from what he prefers. 1 position up ain't bad, and AD played Center a lot last year
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

When people think of WCS, they think of the guy coming out of college

He is nothing like that in the NBA

In fact, if we were to do an NBA comparison, I think the closest player to WCS that we’ve had is Jordan Hill

Do you guys want a Jordan Hill on this squad?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:

Do you guys want a Jordan Hill on this squad?

Would not get the Mamba seal of approval.

https://youtu.be/kYuzQfzBMhc?t=00m50s
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I never thought Bron would play Center... that's 2 positions up from what he prefers. 1 position up ain't bad, and AD played Center a lot last year

He did in Cleveland the year before, though.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about those who said that we shouldn't be chasing Kawhi Leonard because we missed out on WCS because of it. People were seriously pissed. It was pretty funny actually.

I get the concerns about the defense of the current squad but I believe they can be addressed in season if necessary and perhaps on the cheap.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Was it much though? I mean he played Center a few games/stints for us too. Of course he would play Center in the playoffs against small lineups.. at that point you do what’s necessary. Regular season I doubt he played it much more than he did here
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Was it much though? I mean he played Center a few games/stints for us too. Of course he would play Center in the playoffs against small lineups.. at that point you do what’s necessary. Regular season I doubt he played it much more than he did here

You're right, he didn't (playoffs absence makes it harder to judge), but even when it came to playing up one position at PF I thought it was significantly less.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

WCS isn’t a defender. Whatever his college rep was, he hasn’t been a good defender in the nba.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

They all have strengths and and weaknesses. Personally I would prefer the defensive anchor having McGee and Cauley- Stein.

Cauley -Stien actually finished with similar numbers as McGee. And not sure about his offensive ineptitude. He did finish in top 20 FG%. He works hard, knows his role, rebounds and defends. I would love that redundancy!

I'm not as high on Cousins as most around here. I am hoping he can find his role with this team. But he has never worked hard on defense, even before his injury. Can he get get back his mobility, which was sub par before the Achilles.

His 3pt capabilities (last year 27%) need to get back to career levels. His playmaking, pts and FT% may help but he tends to play out of control all too often leading to bad shots, techs and TO's. Add to that his tendency to having a bad attitude and and locker room irritation.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the defense. Lakers will only go as far as they can in the playoffs based more on their getting consistent stops. How quickly they come together and how hard they are willing to play defense every night will dictate this season's success IMO.

WCS does not work hard. That's one of the things that irritated Kings fans the most. He seems to have the physical tools but he doesn't come ready to play every night.

He was touted as an elite defender in college. I remember people here pointing at opponents FG% after WCS switched onto them, and they struggled. He was touted as a modern center who could switch onto guards on the perimeter. This just hasn't been the case since he reached the NBA, where players are bigger, faster, stronger. He's still living off that college reputation.

Maybe GS has time to unlock whatever is holding him back. Their core players are still pretty young. Considering Lebron's age, and we already have a center who does everything better in McGee, I'd rather take my chances on Cousins. GS is basically hoping WCS can become what Javale already is.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/cf8aj2/in_2019_the_only_players_with_a_slower_average/eu86x0w/?context=1000

Sorry if posted before, but check out the 1st comment.
Good stuff for those that think Lebron sucks on defense.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
but simply to play Devil's advocate... what if McGee gets injured one week before the playoffs or suffers a relapse of pneumonia... would WCS still be redundant then? What if we discover Cousins doesn't work with LeBron + AD? What happens if Cousins plays real good, gets offered more than the non-taxpeyer MLE and leaves in 2020? WCS could have been a good option too, who could have been had longer term for cheaper.

You can do what if's for everything...what if Lebron is hurt? Do we have a redundant player to take over for him? What if AD is hurt? Do we have a redundant player there? What if we discover AD doesn't work with Lebron? What if Kuzma outplays his contract and we can't afford him? I could go on and on, but the point is that you cannot plan for all eventualities. You build the best team you can with the finite resources available. And on the margins each of those decisions will come with pluses and minuses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1148, 1149, 1150 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next
Page 1149 of 2086
Jump to: