The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1099, 1100, 1101 ... 2098, 2099, 2100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakeshow824
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

How about Lebron is up against a Knicks team that has 14-56 record? How about Lebron is considered a great player and can't beat this Knicks team. How about Kobe at age 34, with a worse supporting cast, carrying Lakers to reach the playoffs before? How about when Ingram and Kuzma are still there with Lebron and Lakers are still losing before?

You mean when Kobe was playing with Pau, Dwight, Nash, and Metta? And when he had 2 40% 3 point shooters? And he had 2x all-star Jamison off the bench? Yeah, I'm sure Lebron would have had a hard-time making the playoffs with 3 other HOFers, 5 all-stars, and 2 DPOYs...plus a better coach. Lets not forget the expectation of that team was winning a championship, and by the time Kobe went down they were at 43 wins (with substantially better health than what Lebron's Laker team had this season).

If you guys want to keep doing these comparisons, how about we be historically honest?

You meant to say the team consisting of oldies that Kobe had to carry so hard day in day out that he broke his ACL to ensure the playoffs spot?

Memory fades so fast.

This season's young core would have saved Kobe's legs better.

I don't know whether this is windup or straight up delusion. I love Kobe as much as the next guy but Dwight Howard alone was more talented than the rest of the 2019 lakers, other than LeBron, combined.

Dwight Howard was a 3 time DPOY who had just led the league in rebounds before he came to LA. Steve Nash had just led the league in assists before he came to LA. Gasol was there. Meta was there. And under a D'Antoni offense, everyone expected that team to flourish and to have the players' stats go through the roof similae to what Harden has done these past few years with him and to what Nash did with him in Pheonix.

Instead of the 73 wins that Meta predicted, the teamvery nearly missed the playoffs and had to win the final 2 games back to back against the eventual champions Spurs, and Houston,, without Kobe, to qualify.

To compare that situation to this one, or to call it a "carry" job is so laughable that it's difficult to respond.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

How about Lebron is up against a Knicks team that has 14-56 record? How about Lebron is considered a great player and can't beat this Knicks team. How about Kobe at age 34, with a worse supporting cast, carrying Lakers to reach the playoffs before? How about when Ingram and Kuzma are still there with Lebron and Lakers are still losing before?

You mean when Kobe was playing with Pau, Dwight, Nash, and Metta? And when he had 2 40% 3 point shooters? And he had 2x all-star Jamison off the bench? Yeah, I'm sure Lebron would have had a hard-time making the playoffs with 3 other HOFers, 5 all-stars, and 2 DPOYs...plus a better coach. Lets not forget the expectation of that team was winning a championship, and by the time Kobe went down they were at 43 wins (with substantially better health than what Lebron's Laker team had this season).

If you guys want to keep doing these comparisons, how about we be historically honest?

You meant to say the team consisting of oldies that Kobe had to carry so hard day in day out that he broke his ACL to ensure the playoffs spot?

Memory fades so fast.

He broke his ACL? Is that what we call Achilles today?

And with Lonzo/BI missing 30+ games, I think Kobe breaks again with this team all over again. And probably, like LBJ, doesn't make the playoffs (though I do believe Kobe would not have given up like LBJ did).
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
James guarded PFs all last year, with Love playing mostly center.

He'll play it again. If he said he wouldn't play there, he said it because he knew he wanted to "chill" this year.

I hope at least one marquee free agent shares your willingness to overlook James taking a year to "chill".

I am a little less forgiving of a "face of the franchise " guy taking max money with the intention to spend a year to "chill" with his new team and teammates.

I wonder just how his less then stellar competitive passion sits with marquee players looking to win a championship? One looking to be part of a contender that has chemistry and a solid work ethic on both ends of the court. If you are watching the contenders (and bottom feeders other then the Lakers) you see that effort on a nightly basis.

What players are looking at James' body of work this year and saying to themselves "I want to be a part of that"? Other then other players willing to take the max and "chill" for a couple seasons with the James Farewell Tour.

James is still an incredible player that can put up awesome stats but not playing winning team bball. Just the wrong player at the wrong time for the Lakers. I am not as confident as others that this season is the anomaly and he will somehow return next season a different more competitive James. This is what a declining HoFer looks like.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow824 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

Memory fades so fast.

I don't know whether this is windup or straight up delusion. I love Kobe as much as the next guy but Dwight Howard alone was more talented than the rest of the 2019 lakers, other than LeBron, combined.

Dwight Howard was a 3 time DPOY who had just led the league in rebounds before he came to LA. Steve Nash had just led the league in assists before he came to LA. Gasol was there. Meta was there. And under a D'Antoni offense, everyone expected that team to flourish and to have the players' stats go through the roof similae to what Harden has done these past few years with him and to what Nash did with him in Pheonix.

Instead of the 73 wins that Meta predicted, the teamvery nearly missed the playoffs and had to win the final 2 games back to back against the eventual champions Spurs, and Houston,, without Kobe, to qualify.

To compare that situation to this one, or to call it a "carry" job is so laughable that it's difficult to respond.

HAHAH. You mean Nash who had his body destroyed in mere weeks?

You mean Gasol who was out 20 games?

You mean Artest who had a knee tear and came back 4 weeks early just to help us with the playoff push but was so clear that he shouldnt be playing?

You mean a team that eventually rolled out lineups consisting of: Steve Blake, Kobe, Broken Artest, Earl Clark (replaced Pau Gasol) and a Dwight who was recovering from a major back surgery? With a bench of Chris Duhon, Darius Morrison, Jamison?

Its so annoying when people like you mention DPOYs and allstars as if Nash or Artest were ANYWHERE close to that level. They were far far far far far behind those days.

....Yeah much better squad and healthier.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

If we're gonna be delusional and list things like that. LeBron has DPOY Chandler as a 3rd string Center. He has 2 time champ Mcgee as another C. He has 3 lottery picks who were STARS in college. He has champion and elite defender Rondo COMING OFF the bench. Oh my lord!!! What a squad to make it to 11th seed.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
If we're gonna be delusional and list things like that. LeBron has DPOY Chandler as a 3rd string Center. He has 2 time champ Mcgee as another C. He has 3 lottery picks who were STARS in college. He has champion and elite defender Rondo COMING OFF the bench. Oh my lord!!! What a squad to make it to 11th seed.

Haha, right.

He also has a coach who went 39-4, and a record 24-0 to start a season! Not to mention, he has the greatest PG of all-time and one of the greatest ever as part of the leadership structure.
Lakeshow824
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
Lakeshow824 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

Memory fades so fast.

You mean Artest who had a knee tear and came back 4 weeks early just to help us with the playoff push but was so clear that he shouldnt be playing?

You mean a team that eventually rolled out lineups consisting of: Steve Blake, Kobe, Broken Artest, Earl Clark (replaced Pau Gasol) and a Dwight who was recovering from a major back surgery? With a bench of Chris Duhon, Darius Morrison, Jamison?

Its so annoying when people like you mention DPOYs and allstars as if Nash or Artest were ANYWHERE close to that level. They were far far far far far behind those days.

Given that Nash had literally just lead the league in assists the season prior and Howard had literally just led the league in rebounds the year prior, and had won DPOY only 1 year prior to that, why were they shadow of themsleves when they played with Kobe?

At times, I feel that people hate on LeBron for the sake of hating on him. I get it. He s never going to be revered because he wasn't a lifelong Lakers player like the other all time greats. It doesn't mean we have to reach to bash him, or that we should resort to delusion.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

You do realize Nash bashed his knee against Lillard at the beginning of the season? You dont seem like you were here when this happened because you keep mentioning Nash's previous season and Dwight when both were injured. What is wrong with you? Something tells me youre just a LeBron stan based on your post count and join date so I'm not going to continue this when youre saying foolish things like Nash's previous season
Lakeshow824
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
You do realize Nash bashed his knee against Lillard at the beginning of the season? You dont seem like you were here when this happened because you keep mentioning Nash's previous season and Dwight when both were injured. What is wrong with you? Something tells me youre just a LeBron stan based on your post count and join date so I'm not going to continue this when youre saying foolish things like Nash's previous season

You've disregarded pretty much everything i have said and decided to shift goalposts. Which is what you usually do at insideoops.

If someone calls you out for being a LeBron hater (you know, the greatest player ever and the lakers' main man now), the makes them a LeBron stan.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

What shifting? You keep bringing up Nash and Dwight as if they were the same players and completely disregard that Nash had a serious injury fresh into his Laker season that ultimately ended his career.... Dwight had a very serious back surgery and youre the one who's listing their accomplishment of past seasons as if that has any relation to what types of players they were in THAT present year.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow824 wrote:

If someone calls you out for being a LeBron hater (you know, the greatest player ever and the lakers' main man now), the makes them a LeBron stan.

Lmao at least be honest. Its so fricken obvious you are here for LeBron and will leave as soon as LBJ is gone so stop with this charade bro.

Last edited by AirTupac on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

Why didn't Lebron even make the Finals in 2010?

HOF center (Shaq)
3 all-stars (Mo Williams, Z, Jamison)
40%+ three pointer shooters (Gibson, Mo, Parker, Jamison)
Coach of the Year (Mike Brown)
Nike puppet ads

Point being - You can always list out names and accolades to try and push your argument, doesn't mean reality lined up with that.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
James guarded PFs all last year, with Love playing mostly center.

He'll play it again. If he said he wouldn't play there, he said it because he knew he wanted to "chill" this year.

I hope at least one marquee free agent shares your willingness to overlook James taking a year to "chill".

I am a little less forgiving of a "face of the franchise " guy taking max money with the intention to spend a year to "chill" with his new team and teammates.

I wonder just how his less then stellar competitive passion sits with marquee players looking to win a championship? One looking to be part of a contender that has chemistry and a solid work ethic on both ends of the court. If you are watching the contenders (and bottom feeders other then the Lakers) you see that effort on a nightly basis.

What players are looking at James' body of work this year and saying to themselves "I want to be a part of that"? Other then other players willing to take the max and "chill" for a couple seasons with the James Farewell Tour.

James is still an incredible player that can put up awesome stats but not playing winning team bball. Just the wrong player at the wrong time for the Lakers. I am not as confident as others that this season is the anomaly and he will somehow return next season a different more competitive James. This is what a declining HoFer looks like.

I agree with most of this - except for the last takeaway. I think getting a second star next to Lebron, an extended offseason, and criticism of this failed season, will have Lebron rejuvenated for the 19/20 season. His best days are behind him, definitely true. However, I don't think you'll see the same apathy from him next season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:

HOF center (Shaq)
Nike puppet ads

Point being - You can always list out names and accolades to try and push your argument, doesn't mean reality lined up with that.

You mean discussions on LG about Lebron and Kobe lack nuance and tend to be more declarations of which players a poster likes and dislikes rather than genuine analysis?

I hadn't noticed
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:

HOF center (Shaq)
Nike puppet ads

Wait what? How do you not sweep the finals with the most dominant center in the league and 3 dead eye shooters?
RealSkipBayless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

Any lebron defenders left?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826650-michael-wilbon-doc-rivers-has-been-told-lebron-james-doesnt-want-to-be-coached
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

@ the guy bringing up that Nash & Dwight disaster injury ridden season.. Got to admit it was nice to look at something Lakers related and legitimately laugh..

I'm still on the fence with Lebron personally and willing to wait until next season to really see what happens but let's be real he simply doesn't have that same amount of passion and insane nonstop competitiveness that a Kobe or Jordan had.. Not many players ever have though. I think the thing that compounds this problem even worse for me though is the timing and that this team is full of younger guys and seeing James out there halfassing it a lot of the time using the ol' on or off switch is not the best situation for players still maturing. He can obviously still be great but he is clearly not going to win anything as the number 1 option anymore imo unless it's with a number 2 that can be a late game killer like a Wade or Irving.

The other thing that is obviously not all on Lebron is how this season turned out it's only made the top free agents much less likely to sign with us imo.. If I put myself in Durant's or Kawhi's shoes I just don't see much of an appeal over other teams with massively less drama and much more stability. I hope I am wrong though because either of those 2 guys and if we stay even remotely healthy I like our chances against anyone.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
@ the guy bringing up that Nash & Dwight disaster injury ridden season.. Got to admit it was nice to look at something Lakers related and legitimately laugh..

I think whatever position people have on this, everyone is laughing at everyone else.

Comparing the two teams doesn't make much sense to me.

I won't get into comparing Kobe and Lebron at age 34, because no good can come from that.

Both teams had huge injury issues and chemistry issues. Which team had more is in the eye of the beholder.

Overall, I'd say the earlier Lakers had more talent and talent that fit together better. than the current team. So I'm not surprised they won more. But it's not like they had some amazing year. In fact, their winning percentage wouldn't have gotten them into the playoffs this year or many recent years, so I don't see them making the playoffs as some remarkable achievement that significantly changes how I view the two teams.

I can see how different people can go different ways on this. Why some people feel a need to laugh and deride others who have a different point of view mystifies me.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
hype wrote:

I think whatever position people have on this, everyone is laughing at everyone else.

I won't get into comparing Kobe and Lebron at age 34, because no good can come from that.

Both teams had huge injury issues and chemistry issues. Which team had more is in the eye of the beholder.

Overall, I'd say the earlier Lakers had more talent and talent that fit together better. than the current team. So I'm not surprised they won more. But it's not like they had some amazing year. In fact, their winning percentage wouldn't have gotten them into the playoffs this year or many recent years, so I don't see them making the playoffs as some remarkable achievement that significantly changes how I view the two teams.

I can see how different people can go different ways on this. Why some people feel a need to laugh and deride others who have a different point of view mystifies me.

Nah, that guy was being purely ridiculous.. He didn't just have a "different point of view". I meant it more as how he was using it like all players were in there prime, healthy and calling nash an mvp, dwight a 3x dpoy, jamison an allstar etc. I actually found that hilarious. I never just simply go after people with different point of views but when someone is being absolutely ridiculous i'll call it out.

The rest of what you said I agree with completely.. Neither this years team or that year did anything special so I don't really care about any of the win specifics since at the end of the day both years were simply a failure. Everyone will have there own exact reasons why and how it all happened beyond just the injuries and that is all opinion and different views which I can respect.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
hype wrote:

AV - I'll start the comparison when each player shot their shot.

Kobe, post-ASB, said it's not a question of the Lakers making the playoffs. Lakers were 26-29 at the time. ~4 games out of the playoffs.

Lebron, post-ASB, talked about activated playoff intensity. Lakers were 28-29 at the time. ~2 games out of the playoffs.

Each version of the Lakers had a myriad of injuries, chemistry issues, and subpar coaching. However, each superstar had an opportunity to save a disappointing season, and both said they would.

What happened after?

Kobe's 12/13: 16-7 in games he played, 6 wins out of the last 7 for the games when he shifted into playing essentially full games. The Lakers were one of the hotter teams before he blew out the achilles and considered one of the teams the higher seeds wouldn't want to run into in an earlier round. Highlights including the comeback against Toronto / NO, the Amnesty That game, all-around performance in Portland, and of course the GSW game. Got the Lakers into the playoffs.

Lebron's 18/19: 3-8 in games he played. Had a cake schedule to start off with post-ASB but took Ls against NO, Memphis, and finally the nail in the coffin against Phoenix.

Lebron certainly played pretty well post-ASB, as he still was putting up stats. However, the lack of defense and leadership, which wasn't exclusive to post-ASB, but magnified when the Lakers were still in the hunt, is what I take issue with as much as anything else. Kobe 12/13 vs. Lebron 18/19 comparison is night and day. Not sure how anyone could have watched the 12/13 season and either 1. Didn't appreciate Kobe putting that team on his back and getting us to the playoffs 2. Think Lebron post-ASB with the playoffs still in the picture somehow played comparable to Kobe back then.

I'm not laying all the blame on Lebron, many issues as I've said before. Personally, all I've been saying is when given a chance to save an embarrassing season, one superstar talked it and walked it. The other, simply talked it.
Thee Black Mamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow824 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

You've disregarded pretty much everything i have said and decided to shift goalposts. Which is what you usually do at insideoops.

Nice join date, glad you decided to be a part of this site when Lebron signed.

What about the Cavs board? And the Heat board?

Did you make a new handle when Bron went back to the Cavs?
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
Lakeshow824 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

Memory fades so fast.

Not to mention that this was the beginning of Gasol decline.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Everyone knows LeBron is a front runner
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
activeverb wrote:
hype wrote:

AV - I'll start the comparison when each player shot their shot.

Kobe, post-ASB, said it's not a question of the Lakers making the playoffs. Lakers were 26-29 at the time. ~4 games out of the playoffs.

Lebron, post-ASB, talked about activated playoff intensity. Lakers were 28-29 at the time. ~2 games out of the playoffs.

Each version of the Lakers had a myriad of injuries, chemistry issues, and subpar coaching. However, each superstar had an opportunity to save a disappointing season, and both said they would.

What happened after?

Kobe's 12/13: 16-7 in games he played, 6 wins out of the last 7 for the games when he shifted into playing essentially full games. The Lakers were one of the hotter teams before he blew out the achilles and considered one of the teams the higher seeds wouldn't want to run into in an earlier round. Highlights including the comeback against Toronto / NO, the Amnesty That game, all-around performance in Portland, and of course the GSW game. Got the Lakers into the playoffs.

Lebron's 18/19: 3-8 in games he played. Had a cake schedule to start off with post-ASB but took Ls against NO, Memphis, and finally the nail in the coffin against Phoenix.

Lebron certainly played pretty well post-ASB, as he still was putting up stats. However, the lack of defense and leadership, which wasn't exclusive to post-ASB, but magnified when the Lakers were still in the hunt, is what I take issue with as much as anything else. Kobe 12/13 vs. Lebron 18/19 comparison is night and day. Not sure how anyone could have watched the 12/13 season and either 1. Didn't appreciate Kobe putting that team on his back and getting us to the playoffs 2. Think Lebron post-ASB with the playoffs still in the picture somehow played comparable to Kobe back then.

I'm not laying all the blame on Lebron, many issues as I've said before. Personally, all I've been saying is when given a chance to save an embarrassing season, one superstar talked it and walked it. The other, simply talked it.

I appreciate you responding. However, I find Lebron vs. Kobe discussions on this board almost immediately bring up intense, emotional reactions that I find unpleasant, so I avoid these discussions as much as possible. Therefore I will let your comments stand without making any comment myself about your opinions.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1099, 1100, 1101 ... 2098, 2099, 2100  Next
Page 1100 of 2100
Jump to: