OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1384, 1385, 1386 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
I think it would be a lot harder for Fox to find a roll on this Lakers team. LeBron has the ball a majority of the time, then Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo and Stephenson all trying to be facilitators. Nobody is taking the ball from Fox in Sacramento. Pretty much that whole team is young and there is zero pressure.

Yes I hate the way Luke uses Lonzo. I actually believed the notion that LeBron wanted to be off the ball more. Obviously, that is not happening. The everybody spread out and watch LeBron dominate offense does not work well with how Lonzo plays the game.

If I’m drafting for this team I’m taking Kuzma, but then we’re getting worked on defense. If I’m drafting for last years team I’m taking Lonzo. I’m glad we have both for life after LeBron. I think these two in 3 years are going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Fox has had a hot month though. I still take Zo and I still think he’ll have a better career. I hope he’s a Laker for life

Whether it's hard to find a role or not, talent is talent. What you're saying is that - LeBron and Luke are just going to ignore talent. And that's a pretty big indictment on them.

I mean, there's ways for talent to shine through - limited opportunities on the court, or opportunities during practice.

You're saying, no matter what he shows he can do, Luke and LeBron will ignore all that and simply put him in a corner, because they have no use for a highly efficient scoring/shooting pg in our system.

And yet, we're all hoping Lonzo improves offensively because if he does, you feel we'll use him? And how long does this last if Fox keeps on improving? LeBron will never recognize his talents? Luke will continually ignore his talents? They're that stubborn/dense?

There is ways for talent to shine through like defense and rebounding, but for some people that’s not enough. They want guys to immediately play like all stars or they ship them out.

What I’m saying is that our style of play does not work towards his strengths, just like they don’t work towards Lonzos.

Wait, so why would you still absolutely draft Lonzo if our style of play doesn't work toward his strengths? Are you expecting us to change our style of play?

I would take Lonzo over Fox irregardless because of the feel for the game he showed in college and the way he elevated his teammates at UCLA.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
Fox has had a hot month though.

I don't know how many games you think they play in a month, but Sacramento's played 25 games so far. That's 30% of an NBA season, or around 80% of a full NCAA season.

And in 25 games, he's had 4 bad games. That's pretty consistent.

The first 8 games he shot 21% from 3, then in 13 games in November he shot 46%. That’s a good month

I guess stats really are what you want them to be.

You can also break it down this way:

1) First 5 games (1/10 --> 10%)
2) Last 20 games (29/66 --> 43.94%)

But I guess, a hot month fits a more glass half empty narrative.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
I think it would be a lot harder for Fox to find a roll on this Lakers team. LeBron has the ball a majority of the time, then Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo and Stephenson all trying to be facilitators. Nobody is taking the ball from Fox in Sacramento. Pretty much that whole team is young and there is zero pressure.

Yes I hate the way Luke uses Lonzo. I actually believed the notion that LeBron wanted to be off the ball more. Obviously, that is not happening. The everybody spread out and watch LeBron dominate offense does not work well with how Lonzo plays the game.

If I’m drafting for this team I’m taking Kuzma, but then we’re getting worked on defense. If I’m drafting for last years team I’m taking Lonzo. I’m glad we have both for life after LeBron. I think these two in 3 years are going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Fox has had a hot month though. I still take Zo and I still think he’ll have a better career. I hope he’s a Laker for life

Whether it's hard to find a role or not, talent is talent. What you're saying is that - LeBron and Luke are just going to ignore talent. And that's a pretty big indictment on them.

I mean, there's ways for talent to shine through - limited opportunities on the court, or opportunities during practice.

You're saying, no matter what he shows he can do, Luke and LeBron will ignore all that and simply put him in a corner, because they have no use for a highly efficient scoring/shooting pg in our system.

And yet, we're all hoping Lonzo improves offensively because if he does, you feel we'll use him? And how long does this last if Fox keeps on improving? LeBron will never recognize his talents? Luke will continually ignore his talents? They're that stubborn/dense?

There is ways for talent to shine through like defense and rebounding, but for some people that’s not enough. They want guys to immediately play like all stars or they ship them out.

What I’m saying is that our style of play does not work towards his strengths, just like they don’t work towards Lonzos.

Wait, so why would you still absolutely draft Lonzo if our style of play doesn't work toward his strengths? Are you expecting us to change our style of play?

I would take Lonzo over Fox irregardless because of the feel for the game he showed in college and the way he elevated his teammates at UCLA.

Yeah, then basically what you're saying is working out Lonzo and Fox was a waste of time because nothing you've seen changes your mind.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

Why? Sac plays with even more pace than we do.

Pace is Lonzo’s game, but in the half court Lonzo is most effective when the ball moves and the players move too. In our half court there is much player movement and there is even less ball movement.

If you watched him in College, Lonzo was very good at getting the ball to shooters in scoring position early in the possession. If it wasn’t there his teammates would always look to get him the ball back. He had a knack to quickly find another opportunity for someone to make a play. It was not uncommon for Lonzo to touch the ball multiple times in a single possession.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

I don't know how many games you think they play in a month, but Sacramento's played 25 games so far. That's 30% of an NBA season, or around 80% of a full NCAA season.

The first 8 games he shot 21% from 3, then in 13 games in November he shot 46%. That’s a good month

I guess stats really are what you want them to be.

You can also break it down this way:

1) First 5 games (1/10 --> 10%)
2) Last 20 games (29/66 --> 43.94%)

But I guess, a hot month fits a more glass half empty narrative.

Who cares
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

Yeah, then basically what you're saying is working out Lonzo and Fox was a waste of time because nothing you've seen changes your mind.

I’m not running the team, but it didn’t change Magic’s mind.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

Pace is Lonzo’s game, but in the half court Lonzo is most effective when the ball moves and the players move too. In our half court there is much player movement and there is even less ball movement.

If you watched him in College, Lonzo was very good at getting the ball to shooters in scoring position early in the possession. If it wasn’t there his teammates would always look to get him the ball back. He had a knack to quickly find another opportunity for someone to make a play. It was not uncommon for Lonzo to touch the ball multiple times in a single possession.

Lonzo's handles are not very good. If I'm going to have someone not named Lebron run an offense and generate a play for someone, I think I'd rather have that person be Fox versus Lonzo because Fox, at least, is a threat to score.

Of course, all of this is right now, and I don't know where Lonzo or Fox will be in 5 years. I think it's pretty safe to say that Fox is the more complete player at the moment, and that doesn't mean Lonzo couldn't get there.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

For Lonzo, it's the opposite. 26 games in, he's had like 4 good games. That's pretty consistent, too.

Hopefully they keep him on a cheap contract
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

Lonzo's handles are not very good. If I'm going to have someone not named Lebron run an offense and generate a play for someone, I think I'd rather have that person be Fox versus Lonzo because Fox, at least, is a threat to score.

Of course, all of this is right now, and I don't know where Lonzo or Fox will be in 5 years. I think it's pretty safe to say that Fox is the more complete player at the moment, and that doesn't mean Lonzo couldn't get there.

Lonzo is the more complete player and can affect the game in more ways. People just focus on the one thing Fox brings.

If Fox isn't scoring, he is't effecting the game. You can't say the same thing about Lonzo.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

Lonzo is the more complete player and can affect the game in more ways. People just focus on the one thing Fox brings.

If Fox isn't scoring, he is't effecting the game. You can't say the same thing about Lonzo.

Lonzo's also the more complete player compared to Steph Curry.

If Steph Curry isn't scoring, he isn't affecting the game neither
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
MJST wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

Lonzo's also the more complete player compared to Steph Curry.

If Steph Curry isn't scoring, he isn't affecting the game neither

Oh brother...
First, offensively Curry is by far the more advanced player considering both shooting and ballhandling which are the 2 most important factors tbh.
Second, even if Curry isn't scoring the defense is going to be keyed on him even with KD and Klay on the court. The spacing with Curry on the floor makes it so much easier for everyone to score (which we saw last night with the Lakers when Hart and Svi were making so many 3's).

As far as Fox is concerned he is a pretty good defender in his own right which can be seen if you watch the Kings play at all. The kid is a dog out there on defense esp in the 4th quarter.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

This is such a slanted POV just to inflate Lonzo.

So you are just going to discount that he is averaging close to 8 assists per game and 4 rebounds per game? He also gets 1.4 steals and .6 blocks per game - both higher than Lonzo. And let's not overlook that he gets to the line much more, which gets the other team in foul trouble and creates more FT opportunities for his teammates.

Maybe we should start saying the if Lebron isn't scoring, he doesn't effect the game. Or if Kobe wasn't scoring, he doesn't effect the game.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo a more complete than Curry?

I've heard it all.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

I've heard it all.

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic lol.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

When Fox isn't scoring, he's still a threat to score by just being on the floor. That means the other team needs to account for him. When Lonzo isn't scoring, he isn't a threat to score so the other team could just ignore him. This leads to the Lakers playing 4 on 5 while on offense so it WILL affect the overall offense production of the team while Lonzo is on the floor.

This is where the plus/minus stat become so useful. It measures the "total contribution" of a player while he is on the floor. Lonzo is affecting the game on the defensive end but how much is he hurting the team on the offensive end? BSPN finally has the plus/minus stat up and running so lets compare.

Lonzo Fox
ORPM (offense): -1.17 1.53
DRPM (defense): 0.32 -0.80
RPM (total): -0.85 (212th) 0.73 (92nd)

Other notables: Curry 5.10 (9th), Bron 5.26 (7th)

Hart is the 2nd best Laker at 1.67 (51th). Wait, Ingram is -2.60 (396th)?? Wtf? Is this why the Lakers have been winning while he's out?

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
MJST wrote:

This is such a slanted POV just to inflate Lonzo.

So you are just going to discount that he is averaging close to 8 assists per game and 4 rebounds per game? He also gets 1.4 steals and .6 blocks per game - both higher than Lonzo. And let's not overlook that he gets to the line much more, which gets the other team in foul trouble and creates more FT opportunities for his teammates.

Maybe we should start saying the if Lebron isn't scoring, he doesn't effect the game. Or if Kobe wasn't scoring, he doesn't effect the game.

At least Fox is not afraid of going to the line and makes his free throws. Today's NBA we need the PG to be a scorer just looked at the TOP 10 PG. Hustle PG get very little recognition.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Kentucky players are better fit in the NBA and Fox is on his way to make his max contract in 2 years.

For the Lakers fans, we are stuck with Lonzo for life and have to scream at the TV every time he shoots an air ball.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I've heard it all.

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic lol.

In this particular thread, you never know.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

If we are being objective, Fox is the better player right now. Doesn’t mean Lonzo can’t catch up but he has work to do.

When the Lakers FO hesitated on Lonzo workout, they should have just gone with their reasons for hesitating. They shouldn’t have fell for the hype if they weren’t convinced tbh. I still believe some of the scouts hesitated, but Magic has the final decision.

Let’s see what happens over the next few years, but without Lakers colored glasses it’s Fox who is better right now.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
If we are being objective, Fox is the better player right now. Doesn’t mean Lonzo can’t catch up but he has work to do.

When the Lakers FO hesitated on Lonzo workout, they should have just gone with their reasons for hesitating. They shouldn’t have fell for the hype if they weren’t convinced tbh. I still believe some of the scouts hesitated, but Magic has the final decision.

Let’s see what happens over the next few years, but without Lakers colored glasses it’s Fox who is better right now.

Magic choked this one, but he got us Lebron and maybe KD in the waiting. The world is fair. You win some and lose some.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Those of you who think Magic missed are entitled to that opinion right now. But remember this later. Kid is gonna out the pieces together and be a unique impact piece. Already is without being able to score much.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Kid is gonna out the pieces together and be a unique impact piece. Already is without being able to score much.

Let’s hope it happens. I worry about it from a mental perspective.

The more bad shooting or disengaged games he has, the more it could impact his psyche which is the dangerous part. I really don’t mind the bad shooting games for now so long as he is aggressive and finishes at above average rate at the rim.

Last edited by LakerSD on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

I maintain that if Lonzo and Fox switched teams, Lonzo would look much better and Fox would struggle. One guy gets to do whatever he wants all game long with no competition, no risk of being pulled. The other gets to scrounge for scraps that LeBron doesn't want. It's just two totally different situations and disingenuous to compare, in my opinion.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Magic choked this one, but he got us Lebron and maybe KD in the waiting. The world is fair. You win some and lose some.

I'm not happy with his offensive skillset but I can't say I'm surprised. That's not why he was drafted. He's not a bust even if he's never a good scoring guard.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
I maintain that if Lonzo and Fox switched teams, Lonzo would look much better and Fox would struggle. One guy gets to do whatever he wants all game long with no competition, no risk of being pulled. The other gets to scrounge for scraps that LeBron doesn't want. It's just two totally different situations and disingenuous to compare, in my opinion.

Fox is more advanced at stuff that directly relates to scoring. He’d be fine in LA. Lonzo didn’t have the summer to work, and it shows. But he’s got such amazing instincts, and he’s already an elite defensive force.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1384, 1385, 1386 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1385 of 1688
Jump to: