OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Are morons still slandering this man? Is this all "luck"? Imagine we kept our roster last season with our current injury situation? We would be out of the playoffs relying on Danny, Dwight and Javale lmfao.

We went from Danny, Dwight and Javale to Dennis Shroeder, Montrez, Marc Gasol and Drummond.

Where are the posters that insulted him for not trading KCP,DS and THT for Lowry?? I wish you guys were the GM. Panic trading for the sake of panic trading. Lets give all of them up for Lowry who is going to demand 50 mill+ and then we have to rely on Wes Matthews for big minutes. AMAZING!!!!!

Last edited by AirTupac on Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject:

I have no doubt that if we were healthy, we would be #1 in the West and no one would be complaining at all.

Injuries hurt teams....

Pelinka is a great GM and I won't ever think otherwise.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
I have no doubt that if we were healthy, we would be #1 in the West and no one would be complaining at all.

Injuries hurt teams....

It is so refreshing to have a GM that meticulously goes through every option and picks arguably the best one every time. Just so calculated and intelligent. I absolutely love Rob. You just get the feeling that nothing passes him and if he made a choice, it was the right choice to make. Even with the Dwight fiasco, something obviously happened behind the scenes for it to go wrong. You think Pelinka thought "hmm nah, we dont want you for vet min"? Lol please.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

About 10 years ago, there was a thread on this board about how Mitch Kupchak was clearly the best GM in the league. I remember taking a lot of flak at the time because I didn't agree. Glory is fleeting. If you go back just a few years before that, Joe Dumars was being haled as a GM savant. There were others, from Presti to Ainge to Morey. There are some that we have probably forgotten.

At this point, Pelinka strikes me as a beneficiary of Team Lebron. The big moves have mostly involved Team Lebron in some way. The other moves have been a mixed bag. Before I take Pelinka seriously as a GM, he's going to need to show that he has a plan that works beyond Lebron's window. Hopefully, he'll succeed.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
At this point, Pelinka strikes me as a beneficiary of Team Lebron.

He's certainly benefitted from that. The Lakers haven't had a ton to work with after the AD trade though and he's managed to bring in some quality players despite that.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
At this point, Pelinka strikes me as a beneficiary of Team Lebron.

He's certainly benefitted from that. The Lakers haven't had a ton to work with after the AD trade though and he's managed to bring in some quality players despite that.

It's been a mixed bag. Matthews and Gasol, not so good. Schroder, good. Harrell is Team Lebron, but I'll be generous and give Pelinka partial credit. Drummond had an element of luck and probably a large element of Lebron on the phone, but I'll be generous and give Pelinka partial credit again.

Yet none of this really matters. These are just role players. The test comes when Pelinka tries to build for the post-Lebron era. The prelude will come this coming offseason, when Pelinka needs to deal with expired contracts for Schroder, Drummond, and probably Harrell. The hardest part of the test begins when Lebron retires or breaks down. Let's hope Pelinka passes the test.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't every GM benefit from having superstars on their team? Who is Bob Meyers without Steph, Klay, KD. He didn't even draft Steph or Klay. Riley without Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Shaq?. That's the nature of the job. Same with the coaching position. Success when you have superstars and has been when you don't. Think of Vogel at Orlando.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

For those questioning Pelinka's ability I sure would like to know who they consider a good GM. A GM who has put up a title contender beyond 3 years sans GSW after the cap was instituted. Since luck is being used here I would label GSW lucky to have drafted Steph and Klay and I am sure no one every predicted how they would be considered 2 of the greatest shooters of all time.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I'd say the more impressive thing from Pelinka was constructing a championship supporting cast last season after Kawhi drug out his free agency and left the Lakers hanging. They went all in for three stars and lost but somehow managed to recover and build a championship core even after one of their starting guards skipped the bubble.

This off season on paper was also pretty darn good considering how many question marks they had coming in. It became a little less shiny after Dwight left, and Wes and Gasol seem to have aged rapidly. But on paper heading into the season they improved on a championship roster. Injuries and disappointing performances by some players have taken off some of the shine.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
For those questioning Pelinka's ability I sure would like to know who they consider a good GM. A GM who has put up a title contender beyond 3 years sans GSW after the cap was instituted. Since luck is being used here I would label GSW lucky to have drafted Steph and Klay and I am sure no one every predicted how they would be considered 2 of the greatest shooters of all time.

Buford/Popovich are the gold standard. They may actually get back into the playoffs this year, even though all of the original stars are retired and even though Kawhi bailed on them. If your standard is a title contender beyond three years, you'd say Riley, Morey, Presti, and Ainge. Riley is a no-brainer. I don't like putting Ainge on the list, but he meets and exceeds your criteria. Morey kept the Rockets in the discussion for a long time. Presti has been brilliant in dealing with the limitations of a small market. OKC had a great six-year run. Love them or hate them, those are the best GMs in the league (along with Golden State, I guess).

But that's not really the point. If you're going to tell me that Pelinka is a brilliant GM, I expect to see him doing things that are brilliant. We became the latest franchise of Team Lebron. I'm not sure that Pelinka had much to do with that, but who knows? Lebron engineered the Davis trade. Team Lebron filled out some of the key spots on the roster. Some of the other moves were good, some were average, some were poor.

I hope that Pelinka turns out to be a genius, but he hasn't shown it so far. The real tests will come as our Team Lebron franchise moves toward its expiration date. So is Pelinka going to be Riley, or is he going to be Dumars? Let's hope for Riley.

And as for the idea that successful draft picks are lucky . . . naw. Making good draft picks is one of the hallmarks of a good GM. There is always an element of uncertainty, but that's different from luck.
LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

The sudden desire to trade Schroeder for Lowry now makes sense.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

I wish we had Pelinka in charge before Magic started dumping assets like Zubac for trash (to our biggest rival), letting Randle walk for nothing, and that initial overpay offer for AD that framed the negotiations afterward. Even stretching Deng was questionable. Seeing Rob's moves since he took over, I doubt he does any of that stuff.

Some of those moves Rob recovered from but we are still dealing with the impact from it now.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
I wish we had Pelinka in charge before Magic started dumping assets like Zubac for trash (to our biggest rival), letting Randle walk for nothing, and that initial overpay offer for AD that framed the negotiations afterward. Even stretching Deng was questionable. Seeing Rob's moves since he took over, I doubt he does any of that stuff.

Some of those moves Rob recovered from but we are still dealing with the impact from it now.

This. Pelinka recovered in a brilliant way during and after the handicap of Magic Johnson. And Mitch clearly is a good GM still not having the handicap of Jim Buss. He's doing quite well rebuilding the Hornets. Also I'm sorry but that poster above maybe made some good points until he brought up Ainge as being on a top list. What? He had one good heist and has been quite terrible since he took advantage of the Nets idiocy.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:

This. Pelinka recovered in a brilliant way during and after the handicap of Magic Johnson. And Mitch clearly is a good GM still not having the handicap of Jim Buss. He's doing quite well rebuilding the Hornets. Also I'm sorry but that poster above maybe made some good points until he brought up Ainge as being on a top list. What? He had one good heist and has been quite terrible since he took advantage of the Nets idiocy.

He basically took advantage and fleeced the Nets version of Magic Johnson and has expected to operate that way ever since

Someone needs to tell Danny Boy most GMs will not get fleeced like idiots.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Buford/Popovich are the gold standard. They may actually get back into the playoffs this year, even though all of the original stars are retired and even though Kawhi bailed on them. If your standard is a title contender beyond three years, you'd say Riley, Morey, Presti, and Ainge. Riley is a no-brainer. I don't like putting Ainge on the list, but he meets and exceeds your criteria. Morey kept the Rockets in the discussion for a long time. Presti has been brilliant in dealing with the limitations of a small market. OKC had a great six-year run. Love them or hate them, those are the best GMs in the league (along with Golden State, I guess).

But that's not really the point. If you're going to tell me that Pelinka is a brilliant GM, I expect to see him doing things that are brilliant. We became the latest franchise of Team Lebron. I'm not sure that Pelinka had much to do with that, but who knows? Lebron engineered the Davis trade. Team Lebron filled out some of the key spots on the roster. Some of the other moves were good, some were average, some were poor.

I hope that Pelinka turns out to be a genius, but he hasn't shown it so far. The real tests will come as our Team Lebron franchise moves toward its expiration date. So is Pelinka going to be Riley, or is he going to be Dumars? Let's hope for Riley.

And as for the idea that successful draft picks are lucky . . . naw. Making good draft picks is one of the hallmarks of a good GM. There is always an element of uncertainty, but that's different from luck.

So the GM and coach whose team failed to the point of earning the number 1 draft pick (twice) and lucked into David Robinson and Tim Duncan and rode their coat tails is considered the gold standard? Then they messed up the Kawhi relationship and they get a pass. Think if they had lucked into a Kenyon Martin draft instead of Duncan. Damn they are lucky.

You need to discount the 3 years Riley rode the coattails of team Lebron if you are going to apply that to Pelinka. Didn't Morey ride his lucky acquisition of Harden to contender status. Who foresaw this level of greatness at OKC?

Didn't Ainge get KG from his good friend McHale for a significantly worse package than the Lakers gave up for AD? Yes relationships do matter regardless of the level it is at. That's the nature of the business and that also applies to working outside of the NBA as most of us have probably seen or been the beneficiary of.

I have never said Pelinka is a genius/brilliant or implied that. Why over characterize what I have said? I will say he has done and is still doing a good job at building/maintaining a title contending team these last 2 years. You can deflect credit if you want but the fact remains he is the GM who took a chaotic situation (Magid fiasco) and won the title the following year and despite injuries to their 2 superstars the Lakers are still considered a title contender this year.

Is Sean Mark's just a Nets flunky as KD and Kyrie are actually running the show? Not from my POV. He built a stable organization from chaos to make it attractive for superstars wanting to come play for the Nets. Having KD and Kyrie recruit players is part of the business. Is this any different than Lebron/AD recruiting players?

No GM/coach is perfect but some are better than others as it so applies in real life. It's odd anyone has to question the abilities of a GM whose team is the reigning champions and are still in title contention this year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
So the GM and coach whose team failed to the point of earning the number 1 draft pick (twice) and lucked into David Robinson and Tim Duncan and rode their coat tails is considered the gold standard? Then they messed up the Kawhi relationship and they get a pass. Think if they had lucked into a Kenyon Martin draft instead of Duncan. Damn they are lucky.

You need to discount the 3 years Riley rode the coattails of team Lebron if you are going to apply that to Pelinka. Didn't Morey ride his lucky acquisition of Harden to contender status. Who foresaw this level of greatness at OKC?

Didn't Ainge get KG from his good friend McHale for a significantly worse package than the Lakers gave up for AD? Yes relationships do matter regardless of the level it is at. That's the nature of the business and that also applies to working outside of the NBA as most of us have probably seen or been the beneficiary of.

I have never said Pelinka is a genius/brilliant or implied that. Why over characterize what I have said? I will say he has done and is still doing a good job at building/maintaining a title contending team these last 2 years. You can deflect credit if you want but the fact remains he is the GM who took a chaotic situation (Magid fiasco) and won the title the following year and despite injuries to their 2 superstars the Lakers are still considered a title contender this year.

Is Sean Mark's just a Nets flunky as KD and Kyrie are actually running the show? Not from my POV. He built a stable organization from chaos to make it attractive for superstars wanting to come play for the Nets. Having KD and Kyrie recruit players is part of the business. Is this any different than Lebron/AD recruiting players?

No GM/coach is perfect but some are better than others as it so applies in real life. It's odd anyone has to question the abilities of a GM whose team is the reigning champions and are still in title contention this year.

Wow. It seems like you think everything is just luck. Buford and Popovich were just lucky when they picked Ginobili at the end of the second round and Parker at the end of the first (not to mention many other moves over the course of almost two decades)? Riley won a title with Wade and Shaq, then won two titles during the Lebron years, then got the team back to the Finals last year. He must be one lucky guy. Morey traded for Harden and then assembled a roster that eventually took the Warriors -- the best team of the current era -- to seven games. That's lucky?

I don't know what to tell you. Every decision by a GM is dependent on things working out. There is always an element of uncertainty. But some GMs seem to get it right a lot more than other GMs. This is because they have a plan and execute it. To use the old cliche from baseball, luck is the residue of design. Time will tell whether Pelinka has a design that goes beyond Team Lebron.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

whos better
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Wow. It seems like you think everything is just luck. Buford and Popovich were just lucky when they picked Ginobili at the end of the second round and Parker at the end of the first (not to mention many other moves over the course of almost two decades)? Riley won a title with Wade and Shaq, then won two titles during the Lebron years, then got the team back to the Finals last year. He must be one lucky guy. Morey traded for Harden and then assembled a roster that eventually took the Warriors -- the best team of the current era -- to seven games. That's lucky?

I don't know what to tell you. Every decision by a GM is dependent on things working out. There is always an element of uncertainty. But some GMs seem to get it right a lot more than other GMs. This is because they have a plan and execute it. To use the old cliche from baseball, luck is the residue of design. Time will tell whether Pelinka has a design that goes beyond Team Lebron.

Yeah I probably over did it but I mention "luck" in sarcasm since you mentioned it with Drummond. What you said in the bolded is what I was implying in an indirect way although a bit sarcastic. I am glad you said this as I know you are pretty reasonable in your views. I just don't understand those you made of Pelinka. The majority of his decisions has been right post Magic otherwise there is no championship last season and the Lakers would not be contending this year. He was the one responsible to execute these moves regardless of the help provided by Lebron/Klutch. Doesn't this apply to every GM?

I don't care what goes on 5 years from now as every team has its peaks and valleys. To maintain championship caliber contending success is impossible in a $ cap NBA. As good as the Spurs have been and currently are they weren't championship quality these past few years and will not be in the foreseeable future unless a couple of their young core take massive leaps.

Yes there will be a drop off when Lebron retires but isn't that the same when Duncan aged and GSW lost KD and injuries brought down Steph and Klay? Look at past Laker teams, Olajuwan Rockets, aging KG, Pierce Celtics, Lebron less Heat. Not sure what you expect from Pelinka when Lebron retires/ages but all GM's will have their ups and downs and I expect the same from Pelinka but I will not minimize the success he has achieved as the Laker GM.
lonesoul
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

About 10 years ago, there was a thread on this board about how Mitch Kupchak was clearly the best GM in the league. I remember taking a lot of flak at the time because I didn't agree. Glory is fleeting. If you go back just a few years before that, Joe Dumars was being haled as a GM savant. There were others, from Presti to Ainge to Morey. There are some that we have probably forgotten.

At this point, Pelinka strikes me as a beneficiary of Team Lebron. The big moves have mostly involved Team Lebron in some way. The other moves have been a mixed bag. Before I take Pelinka seriously as a GM, he's going to need to show that he has a plan that works beyond Lebron's window. Hopefully, he'll succeed.

Of course if you wait long enough you can find something to support your own opinion. Mitch did fine and had to deal with David Stern's "basketball reasons" and Jim Buss.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Yeah I probably over did it but I mention "luck" in sarcasm since you mentioned it with Drummond. What you said in the bolded is what I was implying in an indirect way although a bit sarcastic. I am glad you said this as I know you are pretty reasonable in your views. I just don't understand those you made of Pelinka. The majority of his decisions has been right post Magic otherwise there is no championship last season and the Lakers would not be contending this year. He was the one responsible to execute these moves regardless of the help provided by Lebron/Klutch. Doesn't this apply to every GM?

I don't care what goes on 5 years from now as every team has its peaks and valleys. To maintain championship caliber contending success is impossible in a $ cap NBA. As good as the Spurs have been and currently are they weren't championship quality these past few years and will not be in the foreseeable future unless a couple of their young core take massive leaps.

Yes there will be a drop off when Lebron retires but isn't that the same when Duncan aged and GSW lost KD and injuries brought down Steph and Klay? Look at past Laker teams, Olajuwan Rockets, aging KG, Pierce Celtics, Lebron less Heat. Not sure what you expect from Pelinka when Lebron retires/ages but all GM's will have their ups and downs and I expect the same from Pelinka but I will not minimize the success he has achieved as the Laker GM.

Fair enough. In the case of Drummond, there is a luck factor because we had no control over the Cavs deciding to buy him out. If another team had traded for him, or if the Cavs just decided to keep him for the rest of the year, we never get into the discussion. Drummond (hopefully) fills a gap in the roster that was created when we traded McGee and did not re-sign Howard. We signed Gasol, but that did not work out well. Viewed as a whole, I can't give Pelinka much credit for this. Yes, he seized the opportunity when it was there, but we could just as easily been trying to persuade Cousins to come back.

On a side note, I get the impression that the buy out market will be in the crosshairs in the next CBA negotiations. In substance, we are now using a big chunk of the Cavs' cap space to pay for our own roster. This is equally true of some of the other buyouts in the past couple years. I'm not saying that anyone is doing anything wrong, but I've seen indications that some of the small market teams are getting tired of being pressured into buying players out so they can join a contender. I have no idea what the proposal will be, but I expect the owners to make an attempt to curtail this stuff.

As for the next five years, I do care if we are talking about Pelinka's skill as a GM. There needs to be a coherent plan for the post-Lebron era, or else we're going to find ourselves back in tank mode but without a lot of our draft picks. It will help if we win another title or two, but as you know, Laker Nation doesn't handle a rebuild very well.
lonesoul
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Fair enough. In the case of Drummond, there is a luck factor because we had no control over the Cavs deciding to buy him out. If another team had traded for him, or if the Cavs just decided to keep him for the rest of the year, we never get into the discussion. Drummond (hopefully) fills a gap in the roster that was created when we traded McGee and did not re-sign Howard. We signed Gasol, but that did not work out well. Viewed as a whole, I can't give Pelinka much credit for this. Yes, he seized the opportunity when it was there, but we could just as easily been trying to persuade Cousins to come back.

On a side note, I get the impression that the buy out market will be in the crosshairs in the next CBA negotiations. In substance, we are now using a big chunk of the Cavs' cap space to pay for our own roster. This is equally true of some of the other buyouts in the past couple years. I'm not saying that anyone is doing anything wrong, but I've seen indications that some of the small market teams are getting tired of being pressured into buying players out so they can join a contender. I have no idea what the proposal will be, but I expect the owners to make an attempt to curtail this stuff.

As for the next five years, I do care if we are talking about Pelinka's skill as a GM. There needs to be a coherent plan for the post-Lebron era, or else we're going to find ourselves back in tank mode but without a lot of our draft picks. It will help if we win another title or two, but as you know, Laker Nation doesn't handle a rebuild very well.

What has the Spurs plan been?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I have confidence Pelinka will maintain future Laker success. Just consider his background. Lawyer, mega agent, Lakers GM, all indicators that he has a sharp mind who plans ahead for success. Other factors, trusted friendship with Kobe, handling Magic fiasco with dignity and professionalism, countering Kawhi free agency and just listening to his interviews provide the evidence to believe that the Lakers will continue success for years to come.

On a side note the Lakers have 5 of their next 7 1st round draft picks.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

lonesoul wrote:
What has the Spurs plan been?

You’d need to address that question to someone who follows the Spurs. From a distance, it looks like they are trying to get younger without going into tank mode. But I wouldn’t know what their plans are.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Moreys plan was good. Lots of playoff success
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

All I know is not only has Rob done a great job putting a roster out the last 2 seasons with the best big in the NBA locked up throughout his prime now he has also helped turn our fo into a respectable one again. We were an absolute joke when Magic was here and a bit before that as well. Once Magic was gone, even when the media and others were talking trash about Rob he never found it necessary to "tell his side" or any of that bs. He simply worked his ass off quietly and efficiently with pretty much no drama surrounding us since. That's how you get the job done as a GM, not try to make sure everyone loves you still.

He is still new and has a long ways to go before being compared to Riles or some of the other greats but he's absolutely looking the part and doing a terrific job so far at least which is all he can do.

We got the roster for sure but we also have an elite coaching staff and fo again. Having all that helps a lot for continued success and I believe our future is potentially very bright even without Lebron but once again only time will show us how true that is.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 127 of 243
Jump to: