OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

If AD re-signs, no issue. Good trade. Overpay, but you move on with your top 5 franchise player. If he leaves in FA, we are screwed.

I will say that this current team seems to be singularly focused on the chip. Recent comments from Dwight, JaVale, AB and Green. Everyone stresses their role and what they are here for...

You will not get that with young players trying to secure the bag. Having said that, very little room for error. The Lakers have a 2 year run max with LBJ and AD as the duo imo then there will need to be a reset with hopefully AD and another star to keep the Lakers a contender in the next half decade.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
If AD re-signs, no issue. Good trade. Overpay, but you move on with your top 5 franchise player. If he leaves in FA, we are screwed.

I will say that this current team seems to be singularly focused on the chip. Recent comments from Dwight, JaVale, AB and Green. Everyone stresses their role and what they are here for...

You will not get that with young players trying to secure the bag. Having said that, very little room for error. The Lakers have a 2 year run max with LBJ and AD as the duo imo then there will need to be a reset with hopefully AD and another star to keep the Lakers a contender in the next half decade.

Agreed on all counts. I still think Lebron can play the 40 year old Malone role as a glue guy if he's willing to take a smaller role and a paycut at the end of this contract. I think he'll sign a short deal with whatever team drafts his son though.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Gonna be like walking a tightrope 🤞
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Agreed on all counts. I still think Lebron can play the 40 year old Malone role as a glue guy if he's willing to take a smaller role and a paycut at the end of this contract. I think he'll sign a short deal with whatever team drafts his son though.

No doubt. The last thing to fall off for Lebron will be that post (Karl) Malone game. He can still punish his opponent in the post, both scoring or with the elite passing he possesses.

Last edited by LakerSD on Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ssiknick833 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
People are STILL hung up DLO. No he's not a real allstar. He's still inefficient as hell. Even more this season. Still a huge negative defender. 19/6/4 on 38%. Yeah thank you Pelinka for starting the rebuild from past ownerships mistakes. And no thank you. I dont want the Lakers paying DLO that kind of money for 19/6/4 on 38%. He won't magically get more efficient or a become a better defender.

He was selected for the all star game, he’s a real all star. Pretty simple logic, no?

You didn’t understand what he was trying to say?

He was trying to revise reality. What happened really happened.

what happened was he played in an all-star game at 22 years old.

I guess if he had gotten the fan vote, if it would have been more merited somehow?

People will really do gymnastics aroumd here to protect Magic's awful trade rather than just admit it was bad.

The trade was excellent. Lakers opened up capspace to sign Lebron James. And a second star like Paul George. They got back the draft pick that was Kyle Kuzma. They got a really quality starting 5 who is a stretch big on a contender in Bro Lopez. So that was a great trade, IMO. Getting rid of that contract of Mozgov, and getting Lopez, eventually space to sign Lebron and Kuzma. This was a great trade.

What made it less effective was Magic foolishy let Bro Lopez walk, when we could have signed him for relatively cheap (5-6M range). He is a quality starting 5.

BTW many people don't remember this, but when they made that trade. Rob Pelinka and Magic both said they expected DLO to become an all-star. They knew exactly what they were trading.

Actually the Lakers didn’t open up cap space to sign Lebron but keep repeating that misinformation. DLO was traded because Magic’s buddy Byron was butt hurt. That is the absolute worst reason to make a trade and showed that Magic was a failure as an executive. Drink all the Kool Aid you want but that was a pathetic move.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Also, DLO's usage percentage in GST is 32%. Does anyone in their right mind think that he would have that high a usage percentage in LA? What were his numbers when Curry and Green were playing the first few games? Did anyone happen to see those games? I saw a little bit of them. The Warriors were struggling, but DLO was not the factor he is now on offense, having to share with Curry and Green. That is Curry, a less ball dominant player than LBJ, and Green also less dominant than Davis. Up to that point, DLO was under 25% on usage IIRC, and he was at 20 ppg. If you look at his thread in GB forum, I even mentioned that it will take DLO just 1-2 games to get going, especially once Curry is out. This is exactly what happened.

He is very good at scoring and being a volume shooting guy, and I can see him be on a playoff level team as that guy, eventually. But gotta ask yourself, would that be his role in LA? Around LBJ and AD?

DLO was 19/6/4 on 36% FG and 31% 3pt. Still very below average on D and inefficient. Aka the same player he always was. Except we'd be paying 28 million.

DFG% 49.2 (one of the worst on the team)
Defensive BPM -4.2
DWin Shares -0,1
DRating 119

The mental gymnastics people will do to say Pelinka didnt do a great job.

What exactly did Pelinka do? Is he the one who gave away a young asset for nothing? Is he the moron who let Lopez and Randle walk for nothing? I always thought it was Magic but you seem to blame Pelinka. And the irony of you accusing someone of using mental gymnastics.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Depending on BRI, I could see Lebron opting out after next season and signing another 4 with an opt out at the new max. Then, as you posted, signing a new deal where his son is playing.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

We are winning but our horrible asset management drives me crazy. The margins always catch up to you.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
We are winning but our horrible asset management drives me crazy. The margins always catch up to you.

We have management trainees learning on the job. We have to hope that decisions will improve.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Also, DLO's usage percentage in GST is 32%. Does anyone in their right mind think that he would have that high a usage percentage in LA? What were his numbers when Curry and Green were playing the first few games? Did anyone happen to see those games? I saw a little bit of them. The Warriors were struggling, but DLO was not the factor he is now on offense, having to share with Curry and Green. That is Curry, a less ball dominant player than LBJ, and Green also less dominant than Davis. Up to that point, DLO was under 25% on usage IIRC, and he was at 20 ppg. If you look at his thread in GB forum, I even mentioned that it will take DLO just 1-2 games to get going, especially once Curry is out. This is exactly what happened.

He is very good at scoring and being a volume shooting guy, and I can see him be on a playoff level team as that guy, eventually. But gotta ask yourself, would that be his role in LA? Around LBJ and AD?

DLO was 19/6/4 on 36% FG and 31% 3pt. Still very below average on D and inefficient. Aka the same player he always was. Except we'd be paying 28 million.

DFG% 49.2 (one of the worst on the team)
Defensive BPM -4.2
DWin Shares -0,1
DRating 119

The mental gymnastics people will do to say Pelinka didnt do a great job.

What exactly did Pelinka do? Is he the one who gave away a young asset for nothing? Is he the moron who let Lopez and Randle walk for nothing? I always thought it was Magic but you seem to blame Pelinka. And the irony of you accusing someone of using mental gymnastics.

What? I've never blamed Pelinka for any of that. That was obviously Magic by all accounts. You must have me confused with someone else If your asking me what Pelinka did, then you clearly are behind on the argument.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

VLF - read this from media reports right when trade was made

Quote:

For the Lakers, this move would give them three first-round picks (number 2, 27 and 28) in this week's Draft. They could use all three picks, or be accumulating assets to use in a later trade. Lopez is a former All-Star who has averaged 18.6 points and 7.1 rebounds over his first nine seasons. The Lakers have several quality young players, but finished last season with just 26 wins. The move also clears major cap space for L.A. to use during free agency in 2018.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/league/article/2017/06/20/dangelo-russell-brook-lopez-trade-los-angeles-lakers-brooklyn-nets
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Anyone who thinks the LeBron (or any free agent) considers a team that was paying $34M for bench ornaments is out of their mind. This past offseason would be the first chance to sign free agents, assuming DLo/Ingram/Randle/Zo each improved together in the same way they developed apart (a stretch for sure).

Let's hypothetically rescind the DLo trade, and follow the scenario to a logical conclusion.

The D'Lonzo backcourt struggles in '17-'18. Neither was healthy apart, why would it be any different when one of them would have significantly greater defensive responsibilities?

As a rookie, Lonzo was only able to keep star players in front of him w/ significant help defense or a zone behind him to cut off driving lanes. We'd be forced to play zone and extend our help with the two starting together. So, open threes and offensive rebounds would be our Achilles' heel.

The options at C would be very limited, lots of Nance/Randle lineups were in play. We probably still are able to draft Kuzma, but his defense was terrible, and with virtually no paint presence, it would be a long season. The $17M in cap space could still be used on KCP, but how do we find minutes to shop Clarkson? His contract needed to be moved, it wasn't considered an asset going in to 2017-18.

If KCP isn't signed, how much does Nwaba play? The free agent list wasn't very enticing in 2017. We'd probably end up splitting the money on Dedmon, Patterson, and some backup guard.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ssiknick833 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
People are STILL hung up DLO. No he's not a real allstar. He's still inefficient as hell. Even more this season. Still a huge negative defender. 19/6/4 on 38%. Yeah thank you Pelinka for starting the rebuild from past ownerships mistakes. And no thank you. I dont want the Lakers paying DLO that kind of money for 19/6/4 on 38%. He won't magically get more efficient or a become a better defender.

He was selected for the all star game, he’s a real all star. Pretty simple logic, no?

You're literally the only one in this world who doesn't understand what his allstar selection really meant then lmao. Shooting 36% and 31% from 3. What an ALLSTAR BABY!!!

What did his all star selection mean? That you are butthurt?

He got selected because he put up 21/7 and 37% from 3P last season on a playoff team. Completely ignoring that like that didn't happen lol. And he's shooting 43% and 36% from 3P this season from 7 games. Yapping on small sample sizes at the start of the season can work both ways fast lol. Harden is 39.4% FG and 30% 3P after 9 games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Quote:

For the Lakers, this move would give them three first-round picks (number 2, 27 and 28) in this week's Draft. They could use all three picks, or be accumulating assets to use in a later trade. Lopez is a former All-Star who has averaged 18.6 points and 7.1 rebounds over his first nine seasons. The Lakers have several quality young players, but finished last season with just 26 wins. The move also clears major cap space for L.A. to use during free agency in 2018.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/league/article/2017/06/20/dangelo-russell-brook-lopez-trade-los-angeles-lakers-brooklyn-nets

But they didn’t sign Lebron with that cap space, they created that space the following offseason.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ssiknick833 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

what happened was he played in an all-star game at 22 years old.

I guess if he had gotten the fan vote, if it would have been more merited somehow?

People will really do gymnastics aroumd here to protect Magic's awful trade rather than just admit it was bad.

The trade was excellent. Lakers opened up capspace to sign Lebron James. And a second star like Paul George. They got back the draft pick that was Kyle Kuzma. They got a really quality starting 5 who is a stretch big on a contender in Bro Lopez. So that was a great trade, IMO. Getting rid of that contract of Mozgov, and getting Lopez, eventually space to sign Lebron and Kuzma. This was a great trade.

What made it less effective was Magic foolishy let Bro Lopez walk, when we could have signed him for relatively cheap (5-6M range). He is a quality starting 5.

BTW many people don't remember this, but when they made that trade. Rob Pelinka and Magic both said they expected DLO to become an all-star. They knew exactly what they were trading.

Actually the Lakers didn’t open up cap space to sign Lebron but keep repeating that misinformation. DLO was traded because Magic’s buddy Byron was butt hurt. That is the absolute worst reason to make a trade and showed that Magic was a failure as an executive. Drink all the Kool Aid you want but that was a pathetic move.

That's not what he said. He said 2 max slots.
Where's the evidence that he was traded because Byron was butt hurt?
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject:

How's the 2nd max slot for players like PG 13 relevant if they didn't come? We used it on KCP - 18 M, 12 M etc and journeymen in past years to form non playoff teams. Lou trade for #28 pick looks terrible now. Wel lack a 6th man scorer like him.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
How's the 2nd max slot for players like PG 13 relevant if they didn't come? We used it on KCP - 18 M, 12 M etc and journeymen in past years to form non playoff teams. Lou trade for #28 pick looks terrible now. Wel lack a 6th man scorer like him.

KCP our Lou Williams
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Quote:

But they didn’t sign Lebron with that cap space, they created that space the following offseason.

I *think* we signed KCP to an $18M contract with that money.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Lmao DLO...

41% - 1st year
40% - 2nd year
41% - 3rd year
43% - 4th year
43% - 5th year

Yes. Lets give a high turnover, one of the leagues worst defenders a 28 year million dollar salary. Genius level thinking. Please run against Pelinka and make yourself a laughing stock
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Quote:

You're convinced anyone comes here to join BI/DLo after their 2nd/3rd years in the league? The Nets didn't offer him an extension after year 3. The Pelicans have not extended Ingram, even after downplaying his health scare.

I don't see the Lakers winning 30 games in 2017-18 without the Mozgov salary dump. Clarkson filled Russell's role for about three months (a role he would not have otherwise), until IT took over for 18 games. Brook and Hart contributed greatly to our success, while Russell played just 48 games for Brooklyn.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
Lmao DLO...

41% - 1st year
40% - 2nd year
41% - 3rd year
43% - 4th year
43% - 5th year

Yes. Lets give a high turnover, one of the leagues worst defenders a 28 year million dollar salary. Genius level thinking. Please run against Pelinka and make yourself a laughing stock

You can pick stats basically supporting the opposite statement.

For instance, last year he got the 3rd highest VORP among players under 22 years, better than guys like Booker, Mitchell or Tatum who got or will get a max contract for sure
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I still think Lebron can play the 40 year old Malone role

He'd still be athletic enough to play the 3 this season and prob next then off to the 4 and burn those bigs with his turn around J ala Malone
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
I still think Lebron can play the 40 year old Malone role

He'd still be athletic enough to play the 3 this season and prob next then off to the 4 and burn those bigs with his turn around J ala Malone

Especially when your only alternative at the 3 is Kuzma who can't even stay in front of 35 years old guys like Carroll or Gay
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Quote:

I *think* we signed KCP to an $18M contract with that money.

Well, it was supposed to be for palmdale but he ended up doing a 3 day docuseries capping it with a house party at Westbrook house instead of just telling Lakers he wasn't signing with us
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
Lmao DLO...

41% - 1st year
40% - 2nd year
41% - 3rd year
43% - 4th year
43% - 5th year

DLO had 7 assists to 3.1 TOV last season. Ben Simmons had 7.7 Assists and 3.5 TOV. Bron had 8.3 assists to 3.6 TOV. So he's hardly a high turnover guy given how much he handles the ball. 43.4 FG% is fine when you take high volume 7.8 3PA per game at 37%.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 103 of 243
Jump to: