Better Call Saul - Season 3 - Returns April 10th! (Hidden "Spoiler" Inside)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Better Call Saul - Season 3 - Returns April 10th! (Hidden "Spoiler" Inside)

Couldn't find any of the older threads in any way that allowed replying, and we may as well have a season 3 thread anyway, so I started a new one.

Anyway, I accidentally came across some news for Season 3 and I am disappointed and pleased at the same time. I'm not sure why Gilligan and the gang would so blatantly reveal a plot point for Season 3, but they did (not that one didn't suspect it anyway). I suspect they feel comfortable enough that the reveal doesn't really spoil the arch.

For those who are interested, it is below in tiny white letters so those who want to know the news can read it by highlighting the text or quoting this post, and those who don't won't see:

You can’t keep a good villain down, particularly when he was both the head of a fast-food chicken chain and a drug kingpin.

Gus Fring, the soft-spoken but vicious criminal who met an explosive end in “Breaking Bad,” is returning to life in AMC’s “Better Call Saul,” the prequel to the landmark drama that revolved around the rise and fall of drug king Walter White.

The resurrection of Fring, played by Giancarlo Esposito, was unveiled Sunday during a panel promoting the upcoming third season of “Better Call Saul” at the Television Critics Assn. press tour when a faux commercial showing Fring at his Los Pollos Hermanos restaurant was shown. Esposito then entered the room of TV writers and helped hand out boxes of “Los Pollos Hermanos” chicken.

Esposito said he was thrilled to be reviving the character in “Better Call Saul,” which traces the evolution of JImmy McGill, a small-time Albuquerque attorney who transforms into Saul Goodman, the shifty lawyer for White.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

I think that plot point was heavily foreshadowed at the end of S2, so I don't think they are too concerned about revealing much. On that same note, you can see some of the foreshadowing in the episode titles of Season 2. The first letter of each episode spell out an interesting sentence....
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

It's certainly no surprise. We knew it was coming. I'm just surprised they revealed it so inorganically.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

And here....we....GO!!!!!
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Is it me or has AMC gone downhill the last couple of years? In terms of quality, BCS is head and shoulders above the rest. This network had Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, The Killing, and an actually great Walking Dead all on the air in the same year. What happened?

Either way, looking forward to this season. BCS never disappoints.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
Is it me or has AMC gone downhill the last couple of years? In terms of quality, BCS is head and shoulders above the rest. This network had Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, The Killing, and an actually great Walking Dead all on the air in the same year. What happened?

Either way, looking forward to this season. BCS never disappoints.

Those are some of the all time greatest shows (Mad Men and BB at least). It's not easy to just create great shows, no matter what network.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

Last night's episode might be the worst in the show's history.

Half the episode was Mike dismantling a car and then figuring out a way to track whoever is tracking him. I love Mike's character and I get that they want to show us how meticulous he is, but watching an old man for so long just isn't entertaining.

The rest of it the episode wasn't any better. Felt like filler and preparation for what's to come.

The flash forward was great, though.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

Filler for sure. I also think the show dipped into the well just one too many times with the montages. I get that the BCS/BB people do that better than, well, anyone in the industry - but it made some of the scenes (Mike's in particular) draaaaaaaaaaaaaag
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

Got the feeling the opener was ground work. I know where Mike's going, Saul a little more meat. Wondering how Chuck is going to get Saul. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think his recording will hold up in court. How's he going to use it?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

I had watched all the seasons of Breaking Bad in a marathon a while back, except the final season. Now I've watched the final Breaking Bad season. So, without revealing any other spoilers, is the entire "Better Call Saul" series a prequel to Breaking Bad? Because characters in commercials definitely seemed to have bit the dust already. Just a yes or no will do.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I had watched all the seasons of Breaking Bad in a marathon a while back, except the final season. Now I've watched the final Breaking Bad season. So, without revealing any other spoilers, is the entire "Better Call Saul" series a prequel to Breaking Bad? Because characters in commercials definitely seemed to have bit the dust already. Just a yes or no will do.

Yes, with flash fowards of what Saul is up to after final BB.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

I LOVED the Mike stuff in episode one. Brilliantly done and didn't drag for me at all. It's always fun to watch Jonathan Banks in that role. You can see the wheels turning at all times. There are no dull moments with him, even when he's staring out a window eating cashews.

As for the rest, of course this episode is about picking up where things left off while laying the ground work for what's to come. There was plenty that moved story forward as well. We see the first signs of the Saul that is to come when he threatens to come down on the Air Force Captain. It's also a moment shows that things come full circle. Jimmy has always been someone who thought he just gets away with things, and this is hint that it isn't always going to be the case.

As fir the tape, we know it can't be used in any legal sense. And since we know Chuck would never use it nefariously, it has to be something that gets used as a manipulative piece. How that will be is the question, since Chuck is all about ethics.

I'll be interested to see who from the Breaking Bad world we see it episode two. It won't be Gus, because they said it was someone else. My guess is it has to be someone who somehow ties into the tracking device and is likely revealed when Mike backtracks on them. Going to be good whatever it is . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Thanks!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

And just to add without any spoilers, watching BCS will give you an experience you've never had before - which is watching a series with a wealth of historical knowledge about the character's future while getting insight as to what lead them to be the character you thought you knew.

It's truly a unique experience in watching a story unfold that hasn't existed in television before. While, I can think of two situations in film when it has happened, the obvious being the Star Wars "prequels" ( :vomit: ) and Godfather 2 (Yes, I am aware there are possibly more instances that I am forgetting or unaware of), but I can't recall a television franchise doing this kind of thing in such a compartmentalized fashion ("How I Met Your Mother" was a very different approach for anyone who's thinking, "but what about . . .)
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I loved the first episode this season. I find every character compelling and a necessary balance to every other character. There is so much yin and yang going on that every episode, even when seemingly nothing goes on, leaves me satisfied. Its rare that I can enjoy the characters so much that the plot's progression is secondary. Not to say the plot didn't progress in episode 1, as it did, but I think to focus on what happens "next" is to miss out on the experience and depth of these various characters. I find a lot of joy in the nuances of this show, which is not something I can really say often... except for maybe, not so coincidentally, Breaking Bad.

I may be the only one, but I actually like BCS more than BB.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I loved the first episode this season. I find every character compelling and a necessary balance to every other character. There is so much yin and yang going on that every episode, even when seemingly nothing goes on, leaves me satisfied. Its rare that I can enjoy the characters so much that the plot's progression is secondary.

I agree completely. And I think that it is a testimony to Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould's great casting. They find actors with the skill and depth to be able carry off all the subtleties of the subtext when "nothing is happening". That's why you can shoot and edit 15 minutes of screen time of Jonathan Banks as Mike Ehrmantraut being alone and saying nothing and have it be compelling storytelling.

Quote:
Not to say the plot didn't progress in episode 1, as it did, but I think to focus on what happens "next" is to miss out on the experience and depth of these various characters. I find a lot of joy in the nuances of this show, which is not something I can really say often... except for maybe, not so coincidentally, Breaking Bad.

You are not the only one. And thank you for summing it up so well. Breaking Bad was a "WHAT is going to happen next" show, and it did it brilliantly - and it it certainly got into some "why"'s and "how"'s. But BCS is definitely all about the "why", which is why spending time watching characters interact subtly is more compelling than seeing story advance obviously.

Having listened to several interviews with Vince etc. as to how this whole thing evolved as a storytelling endeavor, they have found the golden spot of the "slow con" and they have the intelligence and skill to pull it off. My favorite episodes are the ones where I think little happened. I know I get to go back and rewatch them to find the great stuff that wasn't immediately apparent.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject:

I could watch an hours-long livestream of BB-BCS Mike going about his daily life. His character is that much fun to watch. S3E1 was another step up IMO. I, too, like BCS more than BB.
bertrome
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
As fir the tape, we know it can't be used in any legal sense. And since we know Chuck would never use it nefariously, it has to be something that gets used as a manipulative piece. How that will be is the question, since Chuck is all about ethics.

It looks like Chuck intentionally allowed Ernesto to hear some snippets of the recording. Perhaps laying the groundwork for how he's going to get back at his brother.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

bertrome wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

It looks like Chuck intentionally allowed Ernesto to hear some snippets of the recording. Perhaps laying the groundwork for how he's going to get back at his brother.

>Ernesto tells Jimmy about the tape
>Jimmy attempts to steal the tape
>Jimmy is busted for B&E
?

Chuck is awesome
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

bertrome wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, it was odd how the tape started playing right at the point where Jimmy confessed to changing the address and we've seen Ernesto previously report back to him on Chuck's actions.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I loved the first episode this season. I find every character compelling and a necessary balance to every other character. There is so much yin and yang going on that every episode, even when seemingly nothing goes on, leaves me satisfied. Its rare that I can enjoy the characters so much that the plot's progression is secondary.

I agree completely. And I think that it is a testimony to Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould's great casting. They find actors with the skill and depth to be able carry off all the subtleties of the subtext when "nothing is happening". That's why you can shoot and edit 15 minutes of screen time of Jonathan Banks as Mike Ehrmantraut being alone and saying nothing and have it be compelling storytelling.

Quote:
Not to say the plot didn't progress in episode 1, as it did, but I think to focus on what happens "next" is to miss out on the experience and depth of these various characters. I find a lot of joy in the nuances of this show, which is not something I can really say often... except for maybe, not so coincidentally, Breaking Bad.

You are not the only one. And thank you for summing it up so well. Breaking Bad was a "WHAT is going to happen next" show, and it did it brilliantly - and it it certainly got into some "why"'s and "how"'s. But BCS is definitely all about the "why", which is why spending time watching characters interact subtly is more compelling than seeing story advance obviously.

Having listened to several interviews with Vince etc. as to how this whole thing evolved as a storytelling endeavor, they have found the golden spot of the "slow con" and they have the intelligence and skill to pull it off. My favorite episodes are the ones where I think little happened. I know I get to go back and rewatch them to find the great stuff that wasn't immediately apparent.

. Agree word for word.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I LOVED the Mike stuff in episode one. Brilliantly done and didn't drag for me at all. It's always fun to watch Jonathan Banks in that role. You can see the wheels turning at all times. There are no dull moments with him, even when he's staring out a window eating cashews.

I agree. In fact, I'm more engrossed by Mike by himself than I am with any dialog between Jimmy & Chuck.

Quote:
As for the rest, of course this episode is about picking up where things left off while laying the ground work for what's to come. There was plenty that moved story forward as well. We see the first signs of the Saul that is to come when he threatens to come down on the Air Force Captain. It's also a moment shows that things come full circle. Jimmy has always been someone who thought he just gets away with things, and this is hint that it isn't always going to be the case.

Yes, there were multiple references to things coming back to bite him, and the tape is the big unresolved one.

Quote:

Chuck cares about ethics, but Jimmy is his Achilles heel. If Chuck cared about ethics so much, he never would have recorded Jimmy surreptitiously.

Quote:
I'll be interested to see who from the Breaking Bad world we see it episode two. It won't be Gus, because they said it was someone else. My guess is it has to be someone who somehow ties into the tracking device and is likely revealed when Mike backtracks on them. Going to be good whatever it is . . .

Just a guess on my part -- we know from BB that Gus is very cautious and hides in plain sight. My guess that that there's some parallel here to what happened in BB -- Mike traces the link back to LPH, but doesn't figure out who Gus is yet....just like it took Walter a while to figure it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Chuck cares about ethics, but Jimmy is his Achilles heel. If Chuck cared about ethics so much, he never would have recorded Jimmy surreptitiously.

That's an excellent point. And I am sure that's an important detail as opposed to lazy writing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I'll watch them, but that first episode was quite boring..

Remember that Spin-offs are rarely every as good as what the spun-off from and Saul is proving that once again...

The flash-back to Cinabon was pretty useless, and Chuck being afraid of electricity has been played.. couldn't that fall where his head hit the corner have finished him off?

MORE Mike, LESS Chuck..

Last edited by unleasHell on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I'll watch them, but that first episode was quite boring..

Remember that Spin-offs are rarely every as good as what the spun-off from and Saul is proving that once again...

The flash-back to Cinabon was pretty useless, and Chuck being afraid of electricity has been played.. couldn't that fall where his head hit the corner has finished him off?

MORE Mike, LESS Chuck..

LOL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18
Jump to: