2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: 2019 LA Dodgers Thread

It should be an interesting offseason. Go Dodgers!

Last edited by 32 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:49 am; edited 9 times in total
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Get rid of Roberts. That's the number 1 priority.

I don't think Kershaw is opting out, so we're stuck with him for 2 more years. I think we have Jansen as our closer for 3 more years. Jesus Christ.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject:

No guarantee this team will be back in the World Series next year.....it could get ugly if they have the same roster with no major shakeups.
chickenjoy24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Kershaw staying probably gets us back in to the playoffs... for him to choke again.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Fire Dave, then get rid of some fan favorites because its time to move on. No need to name players names, we know who they are!
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

As I said in the 2018 thread, silver lining is that baseball isn't as popular and the talking heads/talk shows will have moved on completely by Wednesday.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
As I said in the 2018 thread, silver lining is that baseball isn't as popular and the talking heads/talk shows will have moved on completely by Wednesday.

Yes, I've read this same quote multiple times now. And BTW, that's not true.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Yes it is. First Take and Undisputed will talk about it for probably 10 minutes tomorrow, and then just talk about NBA/NFL.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Looking forward to a healthy Seager coming back, Walker Buehler domination, and a full season of Julio Urias.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Yes it is. First Take and Undisputed will talk about it for probably 10 minutes tomorrow, and then just talk about NBA/NFL.

That has more to do with ESPN throwing their money behind the NBA and NFL. FOX has way more coverage of MLB games now, including all their regional networks.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject:

The positive we likely found out future #1 or at least #2 in Walker Beuhler. He definitely shows up for big games unlike some.

Team in general needs to focus on making contact and be smarter in situational hitting.

Front office got under $200mm cap to avoid repeater tax so no excuses this offseason.

Would have loved to have signed JD Martinez, that's the type of hitter the team needs in the middle.

New closer or at least a committee, Kenley is sliding fast, maybe if he got in better shape it will help him.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I think we need to gut our team of the playoff chokers...Kershaw, Jansen, etc. Keep guys like Buehler, Hill, Baez, Turner, Puig, Seager, Urias, etc., and build on that core.

The chokers have proved that no matter what, when the going gets tough, they will just choke again. I feel like, at this point, the best sports psychologists could not fix their fragile mentality in big games.

Last edited by leor_77 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Forgot one big thing, fire Dave Roberts.

Bring in a fiery manager like Joe Girardi!
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm not watching any of the post-game stuff, but I'm guessing the narrative will be, especially on Spectrum, that the Red Sox were unbeatable and it didn't matter what decisions we made. Sadly, I think that gets us another year of Roberts. Trump's tweet doesn't help either, as the optics of firing him now would look horrible.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

There was a reason why the 88 team won....not because they were the most talented, it was because they eeked out whatever talent that had left in that one opportunity they had in a World Series. I saw none of that element in this World Series. Could've very much been a sweep if Ian Kinsler hadn't made that fielding error. Been watching baseball since the last Dodger world series championship, and what you saw in every world series winner was good pitching and batters not stranding RISP.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
There was a reason why the 88 team won....not because they were the most talented, it was because they eeked out whatever talent that had left in that one opportunity they had in a World Series. I saw none of that element in this World Series. Could've very much been a sweep if Ian Kinsler hadn't made that fielding error. Been watching baseball since the last Dodger world series championship, and what you saw in every world series winner was good pitching and batters not stranding RISP.

It's called heart. Tommy got it out of his guys.

Dave Roberts too confused to even pick the right pictures.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Well said, that 88 team was even called out by Costas: ''In the absence of (Kirk) Gibson and (Mike) Marshall, this lineup is probably one of the weakest ever to take the field for a World Series.''

As you know, Tommy responded with the ol' "Kill Costas" line and the rest is history. The stuntmen did their thing and made it happen.
chickenjoy24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

The Rams fired Fisher after disappointing seasons with good talent. Look at the Rams turnaround in 1 year going from Fisher to McVey.

The Dodgers need a culture change.
bertrome
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Get rid of Turner Ward. Ain't winning crap with home run or nothing approach.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Who's excited about another NL Championship silver ring ceremony? Ofc they won't fire anyone. They probably view this as a success.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

*sighs*

The whole baseball/MLB isn't popular or dying canard is getting tiresome.

If a sport isn't popular or is dying it wouldn't have record breaking revenues for 15 years in a row, now exceeding $10 billion. It's overall revenue is just only behind the NFL. MLB is the 2nd most profitable sports league in the world. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/11/22/mlb-revenues-exceed-10-billion/890041001/
And that's last year's numbers.

And for many years MLB broke it's overall attendance numbers, although the last 3 years saw a slight dip due to things like hurricanes/natural disasters and some teams going to crap. But overall MLB is very healthy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2017/10/02/final-2017-mlb-attendance-dips-below-73-million-for-first-time-since-2002/#251f379c326f

Also take note, MLB hasn't sign new TV contracts, which will more than likely increase revenues, much like the NBA signing new contracts and increasing its revenues even further.

I can't find the link right now which I actually read on ESPN a few months back, but the most participated sports for youngsters in the past 6 or 7 years in the US? Yep, it's baseball. So the next Cody Bellingers, Manny Machados, Mookie Betts, will replenish MLB's talent.

Baseball at all levels is very healthy, even at the international level where it's a top 2 sport in many Latin American countries and the number 1 sport in East Asian countries such as Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, where they also send their best players to the US.

Baseball isn't popular? The numbers says otherwise.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject:

OK, here are my immediate thoughts as it relates to next season. First off, I agree with chickenjoy24. This team needs a culture change. Flat-out.

The immediate thing that comes to mind is Kershaw. If he opts out, you let him walk, end of story. You have to recognize that his stuff is severely diminished, is almost certainly going to get worse, and giving a 3+ year deal for premium money to a pitcher with a serious back injury whose velocity is down to 90-91 MPH at age 30 is probably not a good idea. If he does not opt out, at least you know you only have a two-year commitment remaining. And I'd go a step further: I'd try to trade him. I'm sure teams would be interested on just a two-year commitment. But I think it's time; it just hasn't worked out in the postseason for him here.

Next order of business: trade Jansen. Like with Kershaw, I've seen enough failure in gigantic moments. It has cast a pall on the entire team, like you're just sensing dread whenever they come in. He has to go. It's nothing personal, but he has to go. Culture change. Doesn't matter if you try to sign a guy like Familia to close, or let Baez try to take the job, or a minor league prospect. It doesn't even matter. You just can't keep running Jansen out there. He has turned into Byung-Hun Kim. Imagine if the Dodgers got back to the World Series again and Jansen gets in there and blows a save. It's a disaster of epic proportions. You have to try something different.

Next up: Roberts has to go, and this one should be obvious. If he gets a contract extension after this "performance" in the World Series, we are going to be in a position where we have to overcome our manager's incompetent decisions in a short series, and that's so damn difficult to do. His 3 straight postseason appearances don't matter, nor does his regular season record matter. His decisions in the postseason have been brutal, and none more so than in the World Series. The Dodgers need to be above great regular season accomplishments. He has simply done a lousy job with basic in-game managerial decisions, and that deservedly should cost him his job.

Next: an overhaul at catcher is needed. Obviously, Grandal will not be brought back as a free agent. And Barnes is a punch-and-judy-hitting backup catcher. They need to offer up a starting catcher that might be able to hit better than .100 in the postseason. Think about how ridiculous it is that I had to type that, that I'm just wishing that a hitter in our lineup could hit better than .100. Will Smith and Keibert Ruiz have legitimate high-end talent. I seriously doubt that they would hit less than .100 in the postseason, and if I'm going to fail, I want to at least go down using high-end talent instead of, well, journeymen. Give the kids a chance to play.

Machado is almost certainly not going to be back, and I think it will be mutual. They needed him to fill a gaping loss of talent when Seager was down, and I applauded that the Dodgers went for that move. But he wants to play long-term on the East Coast, and with Seager coming back, I doubt that the Dodgers want to spend $200+MM on him. I was a fan, but I was really disappointed with his attitude and with his sometimes dirty play. Not exactly too eager to spend $200MM+ on a guy like that.

I'd also like to see us resolve this insane surplus that we have in the OF. Whether it's one blockbuster trade or a couple of trades that get us some assets in spots of need, I think all of the platooning has a negative effect. I don't mind some platooning; that's just a fact of modern baseball. But the Dodgers really take it to an extreme. And I think that guys can get into a funk if they sit on the bench for too long. By my count, the following players are capable of regular or semi-regular AB's as OF'ers: Joc Pederson, Matt Kemp, Chris Taylor, Cody Bellinger, Yasiel Puig, Alex Verdugo, and Andrew Toles. Do something and streamline what you have a bit.

Regarding Bellinger specifically, if he's going back to 1B to alleviate the OF logjam, then you need to do something with Muncy, as Muncy playing second base regularly is a defensive disaster of epic proportions. If you include Belli in a trade, the return could be potentially enormous. And if he's staying in the OF, again, we're just overloaded there. And this doesn't even say anything of a possible pursuit of Bryce Harper.

There are a lot of other things to talk about, like Ryu's free agency, guys we could pursue in free agency, and returning Maeda to his starting role during the regular season, but I suppose we have a lot of time to talk about that. Those were just some of my immediate thoughts. I think it is imperative to replace Roberts, trade Jansen, and let Kershaw walk if he opts out. And if he doesn't opt out, I'd really look to trade him, and perhaps he would even think that it's best for both parties.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

From a Boston fan perspective...

Actually so the Red Sox were big losers while winning the division the last two years as they were swept or destroyed in the first two rounds by the Indians and Astros respectively. I went games and the team had no fire and seemed to be sleepwalking through the games.

We can trace it all back to our manager at the time John Farrell. He was a great regular season manager but was out managed and out coached in the postseason two years in a row but they couldn't fire him easily because of the Sox winning in 2013 which you could say the marathon bombing and Boston Strong played a larger role in that win.

So Farrell is gone and this year they went out to get Alex Cora. The rest is history. I love Roberts for 2004 but sometimes it seems that he relies a bit too much on baseball analytics. He should also go on instinct if situation deems it necessary.

And no way, no one is worse than Grady Little.

Last edited by BirdMagicLegend on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Hershiser was 2-0 in that series. Kershaw was 0-2. 1988 is a completely different series if Hershiser had a 7.36 era and lost games 2 and 5. And this series is totally different if Kershaw wins games 1 and 5.

And Gibson did more in one at-bat than a lot of these Dodger hitters did in the entire postseason.

The best players on that 1988 team were spectacular in the playoffs. And they didn’t have Jansen either.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

^
I mentioned Familia, but I should have also mentioned that Kimbrel is a free agent. He did get hit a bit in the postseason, though. Still, he has more than one plus pitch, and I'd prefer that to hitters being able to key in, for the most part, on Jansen's cutter.

All I do know is that they have to try something different than Jansen. It just hasn't worked.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 1 of 248
Jump to: