THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2466, 2467, 2468 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Although this journalist is primarily addressing others in the media, this echoes my feeling on this topic:

Quote:
Greg Sargent @ThePlumLineGS

"This won't matter to Trump voters" is dumb. Trump can't win with just his most committed supporters. Every day that he isn't winning back the voters that he must win back is a lost day. Why are we still dwelling in this place where "Trump voters" are the only voters who matter?

I've written a dozen pieces about this, so yes, I'm aware of this problem as well. But your framing is wrong. If enough voters oppose Trump he *cannot* steal it.

Yea this is what the “Trump supporters don’t care” thing misses. Trump supporters don’t matter. There aren’t enough supporters to win the election for him. Trump supporters aren’t even all the people who voted for him in 2016. They are just the diehard mouth breathers who still think his (bleep) doesn’t stink. There are millions who voted for him in 2016 that were former Obama voters, anti-Hillary voters, “he’s a good businessman” voters, etc who this does move the needle for. He won by 77,000 votes across a few states. If everything else remained the same even just a small portion of voters switching from him to Biden would be enough. Obviously things haven’t remained the same, so this is another thing that removes a small bit of support.

Another thing is this is something else that keeps trump on the defensive. It’s another few news cycles he can’t attack Biden because he’s defending himself. With the debate tomorrow the news cycle on this lasts even longer than normal because Biden will 100% make it a point.

He can do both, as we have seen.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
trmiv wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Although this journalist is primarily addressing others in the media, this echoes my feeling on this topic:

Quote:
Greg Sargent @ThePlumLineGS

"This won't matter to Trump voters" is dumb. Trump can't win with just his most committed supporters. Every day that he isn't winning back the voters that he must win back is a lost day. Why are we still dwelling in this place where "Trump voters" are the only voters who matter?

I've written a dozen pieces about this, so yes, I'm aware of this problem as well. But your framing is wrong. If enough voters oppose Trump he *cannot* steal it.

Yea this is what the “Trump supporters don’t care” thing misses. Trump supporters don’t matter. There aren’t enough supporters to win the election for him. Trump supporters aren’t even all the people who voted for him in 2016. They are just the diehard mouth breathers who still think his (bleep) doesn’t stink. There are millions who voted for him in 2016 that were former Obama voters, anti-Hillary voters, “he’s a good businessman” voters, etc who this does move the needle for. He won by 77,000 votes across a few states. If everything else remained the same even just a small portion of voters switching from him to Biden would be enough. Obviously things haven’t remained the same, so this is another thing that removes a small bit of support.

Another thing is this is something else that keeps trump on the defensive. It’s another few news cycles he can’t attack Biden because he’s defending himself. With the debate tomorrow the news cycle on this lasts even longer than normal because Biden will 100% make it a point.

He can do both, as we have seen.

And it’s been largely ineffective at best and counter productive at worst as we’ve seen. He spent months trying to talk up Biden as dementia addled, which has backfired after Biden’s convention speech combined with Trump’s obvious decline himself.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

I never bought into the story line that Trump was laundering money for the Russians, but I will bet that his golf course acquisition financing probably comes from loans from Russian-controlled banks. Those institutions are an extension of Putin; they are the ones that do money laundering and financing of the weapons black market in the Middle East.

I think anyone with a brain cell realizes that Trump's main income is television and branding. I'll bet anything the Trump badly overpaid for his golf properties (like the Taj, Trump Shuttle and everything else he's ruined) and that most of the revenue goes straight to interest expense. In fact, I wonder if he's in default to those mysterious banks as the pandemic has undoubtedly crushed the golf course cash flows.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

As a side note: I doubt the latest NYT exposé will have much effect on the election. Trump supporters have ceased using their brains years ago. They're members of a suicide cult. They remind me of those fools who handle live rattlesnakes in an attempt to prove their faith. The true believers equate common sense and reasoning with weakness.

I'm sure the Joe the Plumbers will state something along the lines of, "Well he's still a billionaire" (net worth, perhaps not) and "I wouldn't pay taxes either if I had a chance" (ingenious, so who is supposed to pay the bills?). The latter sums up the morality of the right-wing nowadays, which presupposes that none of them should pay taxes because they've divorced themselves from any obligation of a social contract.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject:

There’s a lot more there than he barely paid taxes. He has $421 million in personally guaranteed loans coming due soon. Not things guaranteed by his businesses, guaranteed by HIM personally. Who is this money owed to? How has it in the past and how will it in the future shape both domestic and foreign policy? How massively in debt is he to Deutsche Bank? How did Justice Kennedy’s son managing the division at Deutsche Bank that gave him the money factor into Kennedy’s retirement?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject:

The man who controls Trump controls two countries.

One of them is Russia.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
As a side note: I doubt the latest NYT exposé will have much effect on the election. Trump supporters have ceased using their brains years ago. They're members of a suicide cult. They remind me of those fools who handle live rattlesnakes in an attempt to prove their faith. The true believers equate common sense and reasoning with weakness.

I'm sure the Joe the Plumbers will state something along the lines of, "Well he's still a billionaire" (net worth, perhaps not) and "I wouldn't pay taxes either if I had a chance" (ingenious, so who is supposed to pay the bills?). The latter sums up the morality of the right-wing nowadays, which presupposes that none of them should pay taxes because they've divorced themselves from any obligation of a social contract.

Trump's base is irrelevant now. He has them, they will never leave him.

But this story, as well as COVID, the economic implosion, the corruption, the incompetence, Russian collusion, tens of thousands of lies, the nepotism, and countless other scandals have him stuck at the low to mid 40s. At some point, he has to increase his support and/or decrease Biden's support, especially with Biden near or above 50% in most polls.

So while this story might not change the dynamics of the race, the dynamics are already bad for him. He needs something positive to happen and fast. My guess is that they will rig the Q3 numbers and claim some miracle economic recovery. Then there's the vaccine, but they've already (bleep) that up as the numbers of people who are willing to utilize the vaccine keep going down.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject:

Trump's tax revelation has him relatively quiet. I don't think that's by design. He's being exposed as a fraud. That's always been known but never revealed with proof. Where is "This is fake news?" Not there because there's no defense, it's real.

It was mentioned by someone this is similar to the Comey, Hillary emails. The timing near the election date seems like a plan. This will push some fencers over to Biden. His base will remain constant to a degree but I think it will move some to Biden or to not vote.

His taxes are something he's fought fiercely to hide. This may be the straw.

I'm not a fervent believer in polls but they're shifting Biden's way quickly.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

NYT Siena Poll out of Nebraska's 2nd congressional district:

Biden 48
Trump 41

Trump won it by 3 points in 2016.

This may or may not be important, depending how the EC looks.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

The massive money laundering via and for the Russians is coming into stark relief, as is why Justice Kennedy stepped down.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

https://dailysoundandfury.com/davidson-how-trump-launders-through-his-golf-courses/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Harry Litman @harrylitman

A lot of potentially complicated financial and tax issues, but one overriding one that is simple as rain: The President of the United States owes $421 million in loans and other debts. WHOM DOES HE OWE IT TO?? The American people are absolutely entitled to know.

Eric Trump in 2014: "We don't rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia."
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Brian Klaas @brianklaas

The other sinister aspect of the Trump tax story is that his finances are so bad that it raises the possibility he systematically lied to Americans about covid-19 and tried to re-open way faster than was safe because he needed the business income from his hotels and golf course.

Yep, hospitality and travel industries are heavily affected by Covid shutdowns. Who doesn't think that Trump would risk lives, especially black, brown and poor lives, to bring in cash to himself?
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Brian Klaas @brianklaas

The other sinister aspect of the Trump tax story is that his finances are so bad that it raises the possibility he systematically lied to Americans about covid-19 and tried to re-open way faster than was safe because he needed the business income from his hotels and golf course.

Yep, hospitality and travel industries are heavily affected by Covid shutdowns. Who doesn't think that Trump would risk lives, especially black, brown and poor lives, to bring in cash to himself?

That’s why we’re totally open for business here in Florida. DeathSantis wants to please Daddy Trump’s bottom line.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
https://dailysoundandfury.com/davidson-how-trump-launders-through-his-golf-courses/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I didn't look (nor will I likely look) at more than one year of financial statements, but I didn't see money laundering. To find money laundering, you need to look into transactions rather than summaries, which is what a series of financial statements represent. But there are disturbing inferences which can suggest money laundering.

The long-term debt arrangement is downright weird. Zero info on the lenders, and nothing on the terms and conditions on something that a figure that absolutely dwarfs every line item, including total revenues. No legit auditor would ever sign these statements, but then these financials have not been audited.

The weirdest aspect though is the lack of financial interest paid on the long-term obligations. You'd think that holding over ‎£40 million in long-term debt would involve a significant carrying cost in terms of interest expense... but where is it? I'm assuming it is rolled-over into principle, in which case this golf course is a failed venture that continues to hemorrhage cash. It's existence as a standalone entity makes no sense unless something external to these financial statements is going on:

1. The lender is waiting for an opportunity to liquidate and sell the course. In other words this is a zombie asset. The banks just hasn't found a party willing to buy it, so for now it is being kept alive.

2. There's financing outside of this loan, in terms of a greater relationship. This is where you can infer that the lender(s) have gained greater control over other Trump Inc. assets in exchange for forbearance. Or you can infer Putin controlling Trump by not foreclosing. Or you can infer money laundering.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject:

Michael Cohen just said on MSNBC that things like the Aberdeen golf course are not money laundering, it's just Trump's ego and vanity. He likes to say he owns this or that, he loves golf, wants a property on the PGA tour, etc.

But it could be both. I don't think anyone thinks Trump had a phone call with Putin where he agreed directly to launder Russian oligarch money thru his properties. But Putin, et al. know Trump is vain, greedy, thinks he's smarter than everyone else and is really clueless and corrupt.

Trump had to pay taxes for basically the first time in a long time when he started making money on the Apprentice and had run out of earlier business losses to offset the income. So he buys a bunch properties and golf courses to satisfy his vanity and to lose money on to offset taxes.

But he never wants to lose HIS money, he wants to lose other peoples money. Russian mobsters want to buy his overpriced condos, he thinks he is being smart to "take" their money. Never occurs to him that they are using him to launder their cash.

So do it on a bigger scale with the golf courses, if Deutsche Bank wants to fund him, who cares where the money is coming from. Trump is not going to care or ask. Take out big loans and he will just renege on them like he always has.

But maybe Putin made it clear to him after the election where those funds were actually coming from, that Russia basically now owns him. That they did interfere in the election on his behalf, that the loans from Deutsche Bank are from Russian money. But we won't say anything and we can work together can't we Donald? WE aren't like other people, we are smart and can just stick it to these losers and suckers.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
And the NYT will be rolling out additional stories reporting various aspects of Trump's tax avoidance scheme in more detail. It's a rolling unfolding story, not a one-day story.

Probably not. But I bet dollars to donuts the media is on to something else by the end of the week.

Normally, I'd think you are right. This, however, might be a little different. It will take a different type of reporter than the usual beat reporters and press pool to cover this story. This is a follow the dollar story now. If there's enough info put out by the Times, other reporters from other outlets might jump on little bits of financial info and spin off their own stories. It feels like a bit of an octopus that could have a lot of angles to it.

Certainly there are other stories...SCOTUS, polls, whatever the next tweet is...but this one will open up to different set of reporters. Just need to see if there's enough there to chase. This has Pulitzer potential and may keep a bunch of the right people on top of it.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

Waiting for Trump to Marcia Brady the debate tomorrow.

“Something suddenly came up”
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

The cops who took Trump campaign chairman Brad Parscale into custody Sunday over an apparent suicide threat noted several large bruises on his wife's arms and face. When asked about it, she said Parscale "hits her".

Sure are a lot of guys in the Trump orbit who are abusive to women. Just an all around charming group of people. Evangelicals must be proud about how they are keeping their women in line, the way god intended.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

I'd be surprised. With his ego, I am sure he is champing at the bit to go at Biden in an attempt to show he's out of it. If he backs out, it's only going to hurt him. Particularly after the whole drug test challenge.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

Been saying that for a while. I wouldn't be surprised either.

I think this is it for Dump. You can only cheat Uncle Sam for so long. He's gonna get you.

If he shows up for the debate tomorrow Biden will destroy him. As I've also been saying "The Emperor Has No Clothes."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

After cop body cam video of Brad Parscale's arrest surfaces:

Quote:
August Takala @AugustTakala

Parscale, who is having a calm conversation with a police officer, is assaulted by five other police officers armed with automatic weapons.

Is that a new treatment for people with "mental health" issues, or is it just for Trump supporters?

The irony is strong in these folks. He got tackled to the ground and cuffed but at least he wasn't killed. Maybe have a chat with Daniel Prude's family.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Here’s the video. He gets tackled around 2:25

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/video-officer-tackles-former-trump-campaign-manager-outside-florida-home/

Sure is interesting when the “law and order” shoe is on the other foot isn’t it Brad? He’s just lucky he isn’t black or he probably never would have gotten back up after that tackle.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

FINALLY I've been waiting on it. Here it is. Trump calling the report on his taxes FAKE NEWS.

Get a new line Donald, that one is worn out.

Trump calls NYT report on tax avoidance ‘totally fake news’

LINK

Quote:
“It’s fake news,” Trump told reporters at a news conference in the White House briefing room. “It’s totally fake news. Made up. Fake.”

Query; How liable are the people who prepared Trumps return if they prove to be fake?

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

He can easily prove that it’s fake news by releasing his full tax returns. I’m going to guess that isn’t going to happen.

Also I can guarantee they aren’t false. There is absolutely no way the New York Times runs that story unless they are 100% of the authenticity of the information. They aren’t some fly by night news site.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2466, 2467, 2468 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 2467 of 3671
Jump to: