THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1662, 1663, 1664 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

There was a great opinion piece in the NYT today by Michelle Goldberg. NYT: With Trump as President, the World Is Spiraling Into Chaos

Quote:
In a world spiraling towards chaos, we can begin to see the fruits of Donald Trump’s erratic, amoral and incompetent foreign policy, his systematic undermining of alliances and hollowing out of America’s diplomatic and national security architecture. Over the last two and a half years, Trump has been playing Jenga with the world order, pulling out once piece after another. For a while, things more or less held up. But now the whole structure is teetering.

Quote:
The most powerful country in the world is being run by a sundowning demagogue whose oceanic ignorance is matched only by his gargantuan ego.

And from Trump's rally in NH last night: NYT: Citing Economy, Trump Says That ‘You Have No Choice but to Vote for Me’

Quote:
His speech was at times a greatest hits album of favorite lines, replaying the 2016 campaign against Hillary Clinton and bashing the news media, Democrats and America’s allies in Europe. Typically rambling, veering on and off script seemingly at random over an hour and a half, he repeated points he had already made earlier in the evening as if he did not remember already making them.

Sundowning.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

Trump Greenland is just a diversion for (bleep) he is trying to do behind the scenes

Spend 10 mins on twitter
A phone call or two for 10 mins

30 mins later.. blah blah blah all over the news.. missing something nefarious
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Baby boomers’ wealth is 12 times greater compared to millennials. Here’s why

LINK
#Warren2020

Please, please, please, Joe, no comments.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

the fact our human brains and minds and Hearts let us, our species, support a Donald Trump and this whole shameful game called politics is the much bigger problem

It hurts to see in my lifetime as a homo-sapiens the majority of the world still hating themselves and each other

"While the planet burns.." We can make this a new hit series
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

LINK
#Warren2020

"Poors can earn money like white folks too"
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

LINK
#Warren2020

Please do. We need someone else to face Trump, so fire away at the younguns Joe!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:

LINK
#Warren2020

It’s weird. They didnt even mention that baby boomers are much older as a reason which should be the obvious one.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

You are both missing the point. Why do we even have super delegates as part of the DNC primary process? This was all up for negotiation when they did their reforms after the 2016 debacle. Why did we once again end up with a system that will end up with Super Delegates once again deciding what is best for us? There is something inherently unfair about having certain special people whose vote counts more than everyone else’s.

This is not the only way to run a primary. Ranked choice voting is much better approach that would drive election outcomes.

If you aren’t familiar with this approach, check out this short video that explains it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P10PFuBFVL8

Quote:
Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

Interesting nuggets on "second choice" (from Pew poll):

1. Warren and Harris have most room to grow.

2. Sanders supporters prefer Warren over the rest by a big margin, but the feeling isn't mutual.

3. Warren supporters like Harris; Harris supporters like Warren.

4. Biden supporters are torn.

link to post with charts
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Donald is doing a pretty good job for Russia

Quote:

Russia Selling 2.5 Million Acres to China for Soybean Production
AUGUST 27, 2018

http://southeastagnet.com/2018/08/27/russia-selling-china-soybean-production/
Soybeans were one of the first major casualties in the ever-escalating trade war between the U.S. and China. Russia is hoping to take advantage of the situation and cut deals with Chinese agribusinesses to make up for lost supply.

South China Morning Post
Quote:
The meeting came after President Xi Jinping and Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin agreed to increase bilateral trade from US$107 billion in 2018 to US$200 billion a year during the St Petersburg International Economic Forum in June.

As US Rules for Asbestos Are Sidestepped, a Russian Manufacturer Emblazons Trump’s Face on Their Shipments

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/russian-asbestos-trump_face/

Quote:

And although it was one of the first materials regulated under the Clean Air Act of 1973, President Donald Trump’s administration recently released new guidelines allowing the EPA to sidestep red tape and put asbestos back into the manufacturing process for some building materials.

Russia is one of the few European countries still producing the dangerous substance in mass quantities. Recently, images surfaced on the asbestos exporter Uralasbest’s Facebook profile showing the company’s pallets stamped with a seal featuring Trump’s face that reads, “Approved by Donald Trump the 45th President of the United States.”

Trump’s Oil Sanctions Leave Russian Exporters $1 Billion Richer
By Bloomberg

https://fortune.com/2019/08/16/trump-oil-sanctions-iran-venezuela/
Quote:

U.S. President Donald Trump’s sanctions against Iran and Venezuela have inadvertently increased demand for a Russian brand of crude oil, boosting revenues for the nation’s exporters.

Russian oil companies received at least $905 million in additional revenues between November and July, data compiled by Bloomberg show.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

You are both missing the point. Why do we even have super delegates as part of the DNC primary process? This was all up for negotiation when they did their reforms after the 2016 debacle. Why did we once again end up with a system that will end up with Super Delegates once again deciding what is best for us? There is something inherently unfair about having certain special people whose vote counts more than everyone else’s.

This is not the only way to run a primary. Ranked choice voting is much better approach that would drive election outcomes.

If you aren’t familiar with this approach, check out this short video that explains it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P10PFuBFVL8

Quote:
Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

2. Sanders supporters prefer Warren over the rest by a big margin, but the feeling isn't mutual.

link to post with charts

I don't get something in the chart of second choice. I thought the blocks for a given column under the "Among those who named __ as their first
choice __" part are percentages. Are they? If so, wouldn't they add up to 100% or less?

So in that dark blue squares part for Warren, which I would otherwise understand to mean, for those who picked Warren #1, the percent breakdown of their #2 choices are 31% for Harris, 29% for Bernie, 22% for Biden, etc. But then those add up to much more than 100%. Am I reading this thing wrong?
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/hardball/status/1161412002843156482

What a stupid stupid notion. Chris Matthews is just worthless, and MSNBC needs to choose way better.

I agree with this person's two replies:

https://twitter.com/brooklynmarie/status/1161442654741118978

https://twitter.com/brooklynmarie/status/1161441757529120768
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Quote:
Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

link to post with charts

I don't get something in the chart of second choice. I thought the blocks for a given column under the "Among those who named __ as their first
choice __" part are percentages. Are they? If so, wouldn't they add up to 100% or less?

So in that dark blue squares part for Warren, which I would otherwise understand to mean, for those who picked Warren #1, the percent breakdown of their #2 choices are 31% for Harris, 29% for Bernie, 22% for Biden, etc. But then those add up to much more than 100%. Am I reading this thing wrong?

The top line of the chart is separate - it's listing all names and percentage of voters who picked them as second choice.

The second part of the chart needs to be read across (not top to bottom).

I think the numbers you are quoting are a top to bottom reading of two different parts of the chart.

So for people who want Warren first, their second choices read as follows:
Biden 13 / Sanders 23 / Harris 39 / Buttigieg 11/ Other 8 / Don't Know 5

See if that helps.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

This comment is from Jim Manley who worked for Harry Reid & Ted Kennedy in Senate for 21 years:

Quote:
jim manley @jamespmanley

FWIW- I have been told by one of the few republicans that will talk to me that the campaign has internal polling that is worse than this

Quote:
Dave Weigel @daveweigel

Feels like an incumbent who can’t break 40% against any top challenger is in trouble, but we don’t know how many of these voters were polled in rust belt diners.
[commenting on Fox News poll numbers posted earlier today]
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
focus wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Quote:
Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

link to post with charts

The top line of the chart is separate - it's listing all names and percentage of voters who picked them as second choice.

The second part of the chart needs to be read across (not top to bottom).

I think the numbers you are quoting are a top to bottom reading of two different parts of the chart.

So for people who want Warren first, their second choices read as follows:
Biden 13 / Sanders 23 / Harris 39 / Buttigieg 11/ Other 8 / Don't Know 5

See if that helps.

It does, thank you.

Feel pretty pretty pretty dumb.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

Curious... What if Democrats and just people concerned about all the gaslighting were to go to Southern states.. Kentucky Talabama Republic of Georgia et al

And offer to pay cash $100 for the hour and $50 per hour for any hours afterwards *idc* to registered Republicans to come in and sit for one hour at a computer and be required to browse Reddit Politics and other sites and then read some relevant crimes Trump/McConnell/Georgia have been involved in and how much it has helped Russia vs USA etc

Stuff that shows them just how evil Republican Politicians are

Letting Russia hack Georgias computers and deleting the data when called upon to let investigators inspect the computers
Dropping endangered species protections
For Profit prisons that overcharge massively in turn stealing your money while abusing the constitution and the people they hold
Paying Millions to deny climate change so they can keep profiting off air pollution and water pollution etc
FIGHTING to deny basic hygiene to migrant children and others.. They lost and appealed and some ugly heinous female Federal Attorney got up and told the judge there is no law saying they had to let the migrants shower or brush their teeth ever...
The Sex Assaults
The pure unadulterated connections to Putin.. why did he meet in secret only.. constantly 5-6-7 etc times

I think it would work. They would leave afterwords and could not deny what they had seen. When they got back to their villages the other Trolls would see a change in them.. viewing NPR and checking random liberal news sites etc

Got to have some hope
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

The animal died Saturday a week after being found ill and refusing to eat.
Thailand's beloved dugong Mariam found dead with plastic in its intestines

Earth>> August 17th 2019

Mariam was followed by thousands on Facebook but vets say, despite their efforts, the baby sea cow was killed by pollution.
https://news.sky.com/story/thailands-beloved-dugong-mariam-found-dead-with-plastic-in-its-intestines-11787200
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

Biden praises GOP: “There’s an awful lot of really good Republicans out there- they’re intimidated"

Now I'm sure there are many of the regulars who read this and want to barf. I tend to be that way as well, as there has to be some good elected Republican's out there who work for the people, all of the people--you know, doing community work and whatnot. There has to be, right?

Whatever is the answer, Biden is doing something very smart. The alienation against Democrats is just as strong as is the left for Republicans.
Biden sees the entire voting pool and wants to bring in as many as he can. That is smart politics.

Promising the world, that can't be delivered is not. As much as I like Warren, and as much as I would love to see her get the nod, her many, many costly projects scare me in a general election, since they will most certainly scare others from voting for her. Smart Trumplicans (now that is an oxymoron if ever there was one) could, and likely will, just repeat over and over Margaret Thatcher's famous quote, sooner or later, you run out of other peoples money.

We all know she can't deliver. Maybe that doesn't matter to some, but it should. Obama couldn't deliver and he was an exceptional, though more moderate, Democrat, and a good to great politician. Though health care reform and wall street reform were lofty goals, he had 60 votes for a few months to get them through; the cost was minimal to the average American; and these were but two major projects, not a half dozen or more. Warren is an exceptional Democrat as well, but may not be even a good politician if she scares away more than she attracts, or she can't deliver. Even if she wins which would be great in the short term, by not delivering she could easily be a one term president. She should focus on improving Obamacare, and maybe one other project, such as my preference, infrastructure reform, and leave the many, many other costly plans for another term or time.

She should tell the people her goals, but honestly reveal that the reality of politics will prevent her from seeing all of them realized.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Curious... What if Democrats and just people concerned about all the gaslighting were to go to Southern states.. Kentucky Talabama Republic of Georgia et al

And offer to pay cash $100 for the hour and $50 per hour for any hours afterwards *idc* to registered Republicans to come in and sit for one hour at a computer and be required to browse Reddit Politics and other sites and then read some relevant crimes Trump/McConnell/Georgia have been involved in and how much it has helped Russia vs USA etc

Stuff that shows them just how evil Republican Politicians are

Letting Russia hack Georgias computers and deleting the data when called upon to let investigators inspect the computers
Dropping endangered species protections
For Profit prisons that overcharge massively in turn stealing your money while abusing the constitution and the people they hold
Paying Millions to deny climate change so they can keep profiting off air pollution and water pollution etc
FIGHTING to deny basic hygiene to migrant children and others.. They lost and appealed and some ugly heinous female Federal Attorney got up and told the judge there is no law saying they had to let the migrants shower or brush their teeth ever...
The Sex Assaults
The pure unadulterated connections to Putin.. why did he meet in secret only.. constantly 5-6-7 etc times

I think it would work. They would leave afterwords and could not deny what they had seen. When they got back to their villages the other Trolls would see a change in them.. viewing NPR and checking random liberal news sites etc

Got to have some hope

I think you need a deep dive into cognitive dissonance, post-hoc rationalization, and the backfire effect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Biden praises GOP: “There’s an awful lot of really good Republicans out there- they’re intimidated"

Now I'm sure there are many of the regulars who read this and want to barf. I tend to be that way as well, as there has to be some good elected Republican's out there who work for the people, all of the people--you know, doing community work and whatnot. There has to be, right?

Whatever is the answer, Biden is doing something very smart. The alienation against Democrats is just as strong as is the left for Republicans.
Biden sees the entire voting pool and wants to bring in as many as he can. That is smart politics.

Promising the world, that can't be delivered is not. As much as I like Warren, and as much as I would love to see her get the nod, her many, many costly projects scare me in a general election, since they will most certainly scare others from voting for her. Smart Trumplicans (now that is an oxymoron if ever there was one) could, and likely will, just repeat over and over Margaret Thatcher's famous quote, sooner or later, you run out of other peoples money.

We all know she can't deliver. Maybe that doesn't matter to some, but it should. Obama couldn't deliver and he was an exceptional, though more moderate, Democrat, and a good to great politician. Though health care reform and wall street reform were lofty goals, he had 60 votes for a few months to get them through; the cost was minimal to the average American; and these were but two major projects, not a half dozen or more. Warren is an exceptional Democrat as well, but may not be even a good politician if she scares away more than she attracts, or she can't deliver. Even if she wins which would be great in the short term, by not delivering she could easily be a one term president. She should focus on improving Obamacare, and maybe one other project, such as my preference, infrastructure reform, and leave the many, many other costly plans for another term or time.

She should tell the people her goals, but honestly reveal that the reality of politics will prevent her from seeing all of them realized.

Interesting how that post went from linking to something Biden said that is questionable at best and off-putting to the majority of the Democratic base at worst, to criticizing Warren and giving her advice rather than foot-in-mouth Joe. And I don't believe she has no shot at implementing her policies. The truth is we have to win back the Senate, hold the House, win the Presidency and then fix the filibuster rules FOR ANY DEMOCRATIC WINNER TO GET ANYTHING DONE, not just Warren.

I'd rather aim high and inspire Democratic turnout than lower our values and expectations to the lowest common denominator so that we don't offend angry non-college males in rural America. I'm tired of being ruled by the ignorant minority. I think we have a better shot at flipping suburban moderate women who actually want health care, child care and a decent education for their children rather than chasing after angry men who resent anyone who doesn't look them from obtaining health care, child care and education. You can keep smacking your head against the wall hoping you don't get another headache, or you can try standing by Democratic values instead of apologizing for them.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Interesting how that post went from linking to something Biden said that is questionable at best and off-putting to the majority of the Democratic base at worst, to criticizing Warren and giving her advice rather than foot-in-mouth Joe. And I don't believe she has no shot at implementing her policies. The truth is we have to win back the Senate, hold the House, win the Presidency and then fix the filibuster rules FOR ANY DEMOCRATIC WINNER TO GET ANYTHING DONE, not just Warren.

I'd rather aim high and inspire Democratic turnout than lower our values and expectations to the lowest common denominator so that we don't offend angry non-college males in rural America. I'm tired of being ruled by the ignorant minority. I think we have a better shot at flipping suburban moderate women who actually want health care, child care and a decent education for their children rather than chasing after angry men who resent anyone who doesn't look them from obtaining health care, child care and education. You can keep smacking your head against the wall hoping you don't get another headache, or you can try standing by Democratic values instead of apologizing for them.

Freakin' amen. Biden inspires nothing but dread for 2020.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Yep. Just that. Except no, not just that. Also will be the challenge to keep all the moderate Democrats in line, especially regarding blowing up the filibuster, buying into a wealth tax (that will have a constitutional challenge in a 5-4 court), and blowing up an ever increasing debt where the interest expenditure will continue to eat a larger and larger slice of the pie, with Medicare, heath care costs in general, and social security costs also rising dramatically. Yeah, that is all we have to do. . . .

And then pray like hell (such a funny expression) that the Republicans never-ever regain control.

And I don't think she has no shot to implement any of her policies. I just think she has little chance to implement more than one or two of her policies as she presents them.

ChefLinda wrote:

How you get that I am suggesting we lower "our" values (as though everyone in the party has the exact same values or goals), or that I don't want to offend angry non-college males, or that I want to be ruled by the ignorant minority, or want to chase angry men, is a grossly inaccurate interpretation of my words. That straw man don't hunt.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

Most of that post was not directed at you personally, but was more about my opinion on the state of the race.

You didn't say it, but that's who Biden is playing to. His whole campaign is based upon the notion that he can keep all the Democrats and add on some non-college white males who might flip from Trump to Biden (mostly because he's a white man). Not a straw man.

The main reason I responded to the post was the double-standard we seem to have for candidates. Warren puts out detailed plans and proposes ways of paying for them. Yes, you can argue over whether these plans will pay for themselves or whether they will ever get Congressional backing. But at least she puts plans out there.

But you know who almost never gets criticized (in general and especially in the media) for not having detailed polices and plans to pay for them? Trump, Biden and Sanders. And that's what pissed me off. I guess it's a coincidence that the three old white guys get a pass. Anyway, whatever.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

I'd vote for Warren, Mayor Pete, Beto, Cory Booker, Castro, Harris, Klobuchar happily. If I have to vote for Biden or Sanders I will, but not happily.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I'd vote for Warren, Mayor Pete, Beto, Cory Booker, Castro, Harris, Klobuchar happily. If I have to vote for Biden or Sanders I will, but not happily.

I'd vote for Dudley Do-Right if he was running against Trump. I think Elizabeth Warren is the best candidate. I also think Biden will be the nominee.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
You didn't say it, but that's who Biden is playing to. His whole campaign is based upon the notion that he can keep all the Democrats and add on some non-college white males who might flip from Trump to Biden (mostly because he's a white man). Not a straw man.

The main reason I responded to the post was the double-standard we seem to have for candidates. Warren puts out detailed plans and proposes ways of paying for them. Yes, you can argue over whether these plans will pay for themselves or whether they will ever get Congressional backing. But at least she puts plans out there.

But you know who never gets criticized for not having detailed polices and plans to pay for them? Trump, Biden and Sanders. And that's what pissed me off. I guess it's a coincidence that the three old white guys get a pass. Anyway, whatever.

Fair enough. I do like it that she presents very detailed plans, and can articulate them with authority. I want her to win. I just fear she is going too far with the many plans and ideas she offers. With every plan, there will be many criticisms, some from the left, some from the right, some true, many not. With many plans, she compounds this problem many times over. All of these criticisms, from the left and from the right, true or not, will get all jumbled together and become a blur so confusing for the many who will only pay attention during the last few weeks or months, that the election could become a crap shoot. Like I said, we know she can't pass all of her plans as presented. If she just said, these are her goals, but considering the political environment, she and the Democrats might not be able to accomplish all of them, and that health care reform of some sort is her number one goal, I'd be happier. Take a page from the Republican playbook and offer the people what they want, that is very popular, and be far less vocal with the other issues that are not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1662, 1663, 1664 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1663 of 3663
Jump to: