THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3669, 3670, 3671, 3672, 3673, 3674  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject:

#SleepyDon trending on Twitter. This is one thing the internet is good for. Mass mockery.

Quote:
Maggie Haberman
Trump appears to be sleeping. His head keeps dropping down and his mouth goes slack.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject:

???

Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

Clarence Thomas was not present at the Supreme Court today for oral arguments.

The court giving no reason for his absence.

!!!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Hugo Lowell @hugolowell

New: Judge Merchan in the Trump criminal case schedules a hearing on April 24 at 2:15p ET on Manhattan DA request to have Trump held in contempt for violating the gag order, per pool.

Trump always gets the undue benefit of the doubt and delay.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Quote:
Do you think this trial goes on for months?

As I said; If the defense has it's way there'll be another delay

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Quote:

My quote above is not about the trial being delayed, it's a about a special hearing to determine if Trump violated the gag order being set for a week and half out. The trial will go on.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Quote:

My quote above is not about the trial being delayed, it's a about a special hearing to determine if Trump violated the gag order being set for a week and half out. The trial will go on.

OK. As usual, I'm slow on the uptake. The trial is underway. If he violated the order he should be held accountable.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Adam Klasfeld @KlasfeldReports

Trump "glares" at @MaggieNYT "for several seconds as he walks out," hours after she broke the news of the former president's in-court snooze.

(per @Law360's pooler @frankrunyeon)
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject:

CNN had a guest from Forbes today who predicted Trump's stock could lose 90% of it's value from where it currently stands and it's possible it could go to zero.

Quote:
DJT shares fell even more today, down to $26.58 right now, a 66% decline from the March 26 peak of $79.38.

https://twitter.com/DavidCayJ/status/1779959076954251371
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

No, that's not what I mean by cuckoos. People like Pelosi, AOC and Bernie Sanders are very reasonable in being against genocide, and I'm also against genocide on both sides.

I'm talking about all the non-politicians who have suddenly been obsessed with the Palestinians ever since Oct. 7 and refuse to call out Hamas, Hezbollah or Iran when any of them kill or otherwise harm innocent Jews.

Anybody advocating for harming innocent Jews is bloodthirsty. And shouldn't be listened to. Cuckoos is a fair description. Fortunately, they don't represent the majority.

For example, I was really happy to see this:

Quote:
Dearborn's mayor and Arab American leaders condemn controversial chants at protest

A group called Al Quds Committee Detroit held an April 5 protest outside the library along Michigan Avenue in support of Palestinians that featured several speakers. During the protest, some could be heard on a livestream of the rally chanting in Arabic "Al-mout li Amreeka," which means "Death to America," and also "Al-mout li Israel," or "Death to Israel." Such chants are sometimes used in Iran or by Iranian-backed groups to protest U.S. foreign policy. Protests held in Michigan over the years by the Al Quds Committee tend to feature speakers who praise Iran's leaders. It's unclear who uttered the chants Friday.

"Over the weekend, video emerged of a rally in Dearborn where some attendees were chanting statements that were unacceptable and contrary to the heart of this city," Hammoud said in a post on X Monday. "We reject all inflammatory and violent statements made at the gathering. Dearborn is a city of proud Americans; the hateful rhetoric heard on Friday does not reflect the opinion of the members of this community."

"Your pathetic ill speeches and the disgusting chants that you incited and invited are totally and unequivocally rejected by all Arab Americans and Muslims in Dearborn and everywhere," Siblani wrote.

"It was uncalled for," Siblani told the Free Press. "It should not have been said. It doesn't represent what we stand for as a community. We disagree (with the U.S.) on foreign policy, but disagreeing on policies should not be a launching pad for for hateful speech ... towards all Americans. That is not acceptable at all. ....We are very appreciative of the country that brought us in here, opened the door, gave us the possibilities and gave us opportunities. We live the American dream."

LINK

People like that hurt the cause they are fighting for. Justice is a prerequisite for peace. And there is no justice in discrimination and collective punishment.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The trial will go on.

For now . . . But we all know that Trump's lawyers of the moment will ultimately find a way to derail it at some point because the system will allow it since he is a politically powerful white man and former POTUS who is the icon of one of this nation's two political parties entering a pivotal election cycle.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject:

I think Trump's lawyers will try to find ways to derail the trial. Delay has been their MO from the giddy-up. I don't think they'll get what they want. Trump’s lawyers want to delay the prosecution until after Election Day. A strategy that has so far worked in his other three criminal cases

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I think Trump's lawyers will try to find ways to derail the trial. Delay has been their MO from the giddy-up. I don't think they'll get what they want. Trump’s lawyers want to delay the prosecution until after Election Day. A strategy that has so far worked in his other three criminal cases

This is different because the trial is underway. They can maybe prolong the trial by weeks by adding witnesses or taking a long time to question witnesses, or taking time picking the jury, but they can't stop it. It's already happening. This is a 6-8 week trial once the jury is seated. There will be a verdict one way or the other well before the election in November.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

This is different because the trial is underway. They can maybe prolong the trial by weeks by adding witnesses or taking a long time to question witnesses, or taking time picking the jury, but they can't stop it. It's already happening. This is a 6-8 week trial once the jury is seated. There will be a verdict one way or the other well before the election in November.

My point

Watching MSNBC. Trump's lawyers are going to drag jury selection out as long as they can. It won't delay the trial, it will only drag it out. I don't see them getting what they want which is my point.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Jury selection is moving faster than I thought it would.

Six jurors chosen for Trump's hush money trial
Quote:
Six jurors have been selected to serve throughout Donald Trump's New York criminal hush money trial. All six were sworn in late Tuesday afternoon.

12 jurors, plus several alternates, are needed in total before the trial may get underway.

Merchan instructed the six selected jurors to plan to come back Monday at 9:30 a.m. ET, indicating it's possible opening statements in the trial could happen next week.

– Aysha Bagchi

LINK

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NEW: We have 7 jurors. Judge Merchan says he's hopeful the trial can begin MONDAY.

This feels lightning fast to me! A Reflection of an experienced judge, I imagine.

https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1780350970125222326?t=RE7VjjB3b4X2VqXMCpQ1Gg&s=19
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
NEW: We have 7 jurors. Judge Merchan says he's hopeful the trial can begin MONDAY.

This feels lightning fast to me! A Reflection of an experienced judge, I imagine.

https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1780350970125222326?t=RE7VjjB3b4X2VqXMCpQ1Gg&s=19

I expect Trump to be found guilty. And for him to appeal.

I actually don't mind if this thing gets dragged out. The time and money he is spending in court, isn't being spent on his campaign.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Tom Cotton @TomCottonAR

I encourage people who get stuck behind the pro-Hamas mobs blocking traffic: take matters into your own hands to get them out of the way.

It's time to put an end to this nonsense.

LINK

I have a feeling the people he is talking about are against the ethnic cleansing in Gaza. And he is mislabeling them as "pro-Hamas".

But even if I'm generous. And assume there are actually "pro-Hamas" mobs out there. You don't run people over.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject:

Joe is bringing back the worst Trump-era policy.

My poor alibaba stocks .

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2024/04/17/president-biden-moves-to-triple-tariffs-on-chinese-steel-and-aluminum/73346915007/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:06 am    Post subject:

There are 2 lawyers on Trump's jury panel. @ lawyers in the forum. Is that a positive or a negative?

NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject:

Like anyone else, it could go either way. There's lots of bad lawyers out there, regardless of politics. Generally, I'd like to think that it could help in the jury room when complex matters are being deliberated. They could, theoretically, also help keep things about the evidence, the elements of the offenses, and the burden of proof...instead of WHO is being prosecuted.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject:

I predict a mistrial. To acquit or convict the decision must be unanimous. I think there will be at least 1 Trump supporter on the panel. That panelist will favor Trump despite evidence heavily siding guilty. My hope is of the 34 counts he'll be found guilty of 1 or more and held accountable to the highest degree.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1780195476316303543

Disappointing. But not surprising.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I have a feeling the people he is talking about are against the ethnic cleansing in Gaza. And he is mislabeling them as "pro-Hamas".

This sub-population of "protestors" who block freeways is definitely working pro-Hamas, even if they don't know who Hamas is.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Trump demands 5% cut from down ballot candidates using his NIL....
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-demands-5-cut-gop-225528771.html
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Trump demands 5% cut from down ballot candidates using his NIL....
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-demands-5-cut-gop-225528771.html

Quote:
“Any split that is higher than 5% will be seen favorably by the (Republican National Committee) and President Trump’s campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”

Typical mob boss mentality of kicking up to the Don.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3669, 3670, 3671, 3672, 3673, 3674  Next
Page 3670 of 3674
Jump to: