THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2849, 2850, 2851 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez @AOC I find it amusing when politicians try to diminish the seriousness of our policy work, movement organizing & grassroots fundraising to “she just tweets,” as though “serious” politics is only done by begging corporate CEOs for money through wax-sealed envelopes delivered by raven

I feel her.

I’m less inclined to feel entitled demagogues who spend more time whipping up a personal base in safe spaces while harming the electoral possibilities of colleagues on the front line, and contributing very little to actual policy making. Sound bites like that are a prime example, as that’s not how policy gets made, but it makes her fans feel like she’s fighting the good fight.

In the same vein, Obama made the prescient observation that messaging is important to turning ideas into policy, and that reform the police is much better messaging than defund the police, but f you want to actually do something as opposed to feel righteous. Ilhan Omar promptly called him out on that.

Yeah, the GOP weaponized that message during the recent election. I'm sure it helped fuel some disappointing results, particularly in the House.

There’s a reason the senate runoff candidates have all but begged behind closed doors for the squad to not “help”
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez @AOC I find it amusing when politicians try to diminish the seriousness of our policy work, movement organizing & grassroots fundraising to “she just tweets,” as though “serious” politics is only done by begging corporate CEOs for money through wax-sealed envelopes delivered by raven

I feel her.

I think I might be in love.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
There’s a reason the senate runoff candidates have all but begged behind closed doors for the squad to not “help”

Georgia's voters are different than Minneapolis/St. Paul, Detroit, and NYC voters? That's not shocking. If it were reversed, the squad wouldn't want Georgia Senators to help them either.

I'm gonna say the same thing I would say if it was reversed. And the squad struggled in their districts because the rest of the party was too moderate. If you can't explain to your constituents you are a different person than other people in your party. You have a communication issue that is a lot more of a problem than anything else.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

I feel her.

I’m less inclined to feel entitled demagogues who spend more time whipping up a personal base in safe spaces while harming the electoral possibilities of colleagues on the front line, and contributing very little to actual policy making. Sound bites like that are a prime example, as that’s not how policy gets made, but it makes her fans feel like she’s fighting the good fight.

In the same vein, Obama made the prescient observation that messaging is important to turning ideas into policy, and that reform the police is much better messaging than defund the police, but f you want to actually do something as opposed to feel righteous. Ilhan Omar promptly called him out on that.

There's nothing prescient about that observation, it's been around for a while.
Either the reform the police message is brand new, which is a problem, or it's been around. If the latter, how's that working out? What had actually been done on that front in the eight years he was President? I have hope that there will be some momentum under Biden for real improvement, short of systemic improvement, but something real anyway in some incremental fashion. I don't think Biden can avoid being accountable on that front, and I think he's probably embraced it to a degree or at least will have people in his administration who do, and will push him where he slacks.
Pretty much disagree entirely with your initial post, but focusing on this more recent one.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Again, we are back the how not the what. And what extremist activists do effectively is paint prospective allies into a corner where they won’t or can’t help.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Ivanka Trump was deposed Tuesday in DC attorney general's inauguration lawsuit

I really want her and her scumbag android spouse to serve time.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

AOC isn't a demagogue.

Detroit, St.Paul/Minneapolis, and Philadelphia aren't "safe spaces" (represented by progressives in Congress). They are areas that have country-defining EC results. Because turnout there is sooo important. Biden's team would be the first to agree.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

White America is still not ready to be told what to do by young, non-white women. It's still a racist-a$$, misogynistic country.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

AOC isn't a demagogue.

Detroit, St.Paul/Minneapolis, and Philadelphia aren't "safe spaces" (represented by progressives in Congress). They are areas that have country-defining EC results. Because turnout there is sooo important. Biden's team would be the first to agree.

I’m talking safe electoral spaces for them. The Squad represent districts that are democratic strongholds, and mostly have been for generations. AOC and Pressley unseated two very powerful and very liberal congresspeople.

Conversely, the seats that were taken from the GOP in 2018 (and a number lost this last election) are in tough swing and even red districts, and those gop candidates love to run against the squad. They are electoral gold in swing areas all over the country, for the GOP. See south Florida. You can weigh that against turnout in their home districts (and to what degree they drove turnout for Biden), but they are the easy targets for the opposition, in part because of racism and sexism, but in larger part because they supply the propaganda for the opponent. It’s why Abrams is far more effective electorally for the party.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Team Trump’s star witness in Michigan is a drunk Karen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1334315220815278080
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Team Trump’s star witness in Michigan is a drunk Karen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1334315220815278080

One of the comments was that the wig and glasses are quite fetching. Also, you have to be pretty nuts to have Ghouliani try to calm you down.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

So...no coup? Safe to come back? Or should I wait until January 21st, 2021?

"You can't reform the police. Reform hasn't worked."

How do you know? What reforms? Where? When?
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/release-ppp-loan-recipients-data-reveals-troubling-patterns-n1249629

Typically scuminess.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
John Mulaney Says He Was Investigated by Secret Service After ‘SNL’ Joke
“In February, I did a joke that was not about Donald Trump,” Mulaney said. “The joke was about how it was a leap year, and leap year had been started by Julius Caesar to correct the calendar, and another thing that happened with Caesar was that he was stabbed to death by a bunch of senators because he went crazy. And I said I think that’s an interesting thing that could happen.”

Since the comment being made had no direct mention of Trump and Mulaney had penned no “manifestos” or “rants” against the President online, he was not deemed a threat to national security.

Variety Article

This made me laugh.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

AOC isn't a demagogue.

I’m talking safe electoral spaces for them. The Squad represent districts that are democratic strongholds, and mostly have been for generations. AOC and Pressley unseated two very powerful and very liberal congresspeople.

Conversely, the seats that were taken from the GOP in 2018 (and a number lost this last election) are in tough swing and even red districts, and those gop candidates love to run against the squad. They are electoral gold in swing areas all over the country, for the GOP. See south Florida. You can weigh that against turnout in their home districts (and to what degree they drove turnout for Biden), but they are the easy targets for the opposition, in part because of racism and sexism, but in larger part because they supply the propaganda for the opponent. It’s why Abrams is far more effective electorally for the party.

Yes. In Georgia.

I don't understand the thought process. While in office, the Squad champion the issues they run on. Their constituencies voted for them in the primaries specifically because they do that. But they should kowtow to voters in purple districts across the country?
That seems backwards. Then add onto it. We want our cake and eat it too. We still need them to turnout their districts.
Pretty much, tell progressive district voters to shut up, you don't matter, and oh by the way make sure to turnout or else we're all screwed in the EC.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Katie Porter destroying Mnuchkin is a fun fun watch. Also love Warren's tweet about it.

https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status/1334245261363843072
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sister Helen Prejean @helenprejean

The National Catholic Prayer Breakfast presented AG Barr with an award for “Christlike behavior” on the day between two federal executions that he ordered. Now Barr’s DOJ wants to hurry through five more executions and is willing to use firing squads and poison gas if necessary.

This is just obscene on so many levels.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So...no coup? Safe to come back? Or should I wait until January 21st, 2021?

"You can't reform the police. Reform hasn't worked."

How do you know? What reforms? Where? When?

No soup (or coup) for you!

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

AOC isn't a demagogue.

Yes. In Georgia.

I don't understand the thought process. While in office, the Squad champion the issues they run on. Their constituencies voted for them in the primaries specifically because they do that. But they should kowtow to voters in purple districts across the country?
That seems backwards. Then add onto it. We want our cake and eat it too. We still need them to turnout their districts.
Pretty much, tell progressive district voters to shut up, you don't matter, and oh by the way make sure to turnout or else we're all screwed in the EC.

It's called "party discipline," which is something that progressives (of which I am one) suck at and conservatives excel at. It's why the democratic party won the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 Presidential elections and yet John Roberts, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett are on the SCOTUS.

We've become ideologues who "take our balls and go home" if we don't get our way and practice grievance politics just as much as the right.

Yes, Florida was stolen in Gore v. Bush, but a number of progressives "punished" Clinton corporatism by voting for Bush, voting 3rd party or not at all and Bush flipped 11 states from blue to red in 2000. [Jim Hightower's study showed 191,000 self-described liberals voted for Bush in FLA in 2000, a state Gore lost by 537 votes].

In 2016, I personally know of some ultra-left "influencers" who refused to vote for Hilary and encouraged their circles not to vote for her, because, you know, she's a Clinton and robbed Bernie. How'd that turn out?

Here in LA before the California primary, there was a push to turn out an "eff Biden" vote for Bernie to "teach the Democratic Party a lesson and not ignore the left." I went back and forth with some of the organizers about squelching it. Their POV was that California was safe and there was no danger of Trump winning the state. My counter was there was a definite danger of down-ballot races being affected, and a bigger danger of progressives in Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, et. al, seeing the goings-on in California and letting it impact their states.

In the end, what did we see?

1. Biden defeated Trump by a respectable margin with record voter turnout.
2. Trump received 11 million MORE votes than in 2016.
3. Democrats LOST seats in the House.
4. Democrats likely failed to take the Senate (may I please be wrong).

Why? (Here's where the recriminations come in):

1. The "Defund the Police" message. I'm BIPOC and fully understand the issue (every male in my immediate family is black - and so are the women). I've been to all the protests and several BLM-LA meetings with Akili, et. al. (haven't joined because I'm no longer a joiner of things).

"Reform the Police" is a policy that appeals on many levels - fiscal reform, community based policing strategies, etc. "Defund the Police" is a slogan that scares the crap out of swing voters, soccer moms and senior citizens, all of whom matter in the electorate.

2. "Self righteousness & intellectual elitism." Non college educated whites are people, too, and really should be a staple voter for the left . . . but they don't "get" Maddow and are happy to work for Big Energy or Big Ag or any other big exploiter because there isn't a lot of opportunity for non-college whites . . .

or non-college BIPOC, for that matter, which is also why there was a decline in black/latinx male support for the Democratic ticket. [Let me hide behind my internet invisibility right now]. The "left" has been persistent and adamant in pushing for diversity - particularly gender/orientation/identity diversity - at every opportunity. Which is just and fair and overdue. The GOP comes across as the "White Christian Men's Party" because of their own lack of diversity.

For the left, however, our embracing of diversity can be, at times, framed or misinterpreted as being anti-male (definitely anti cis-gendered or heteronormative, traditionally raised males). BIPOC males have been marginalized for a couple of dozen decades by racism and as they look to assert themselves in the political arena, some are turned off by a left that seemingly focuses on the more nuanced issues of intersectionality that the issues of men who have been systematically denied the opportunity to be "men" in the traditional sense in their households, communities & marketplaces. [I guess a better way to put it is that a percentage of those men who've been marginalized now seem to be competing against the other groups in the party for recognition and now somehow find more acceptance among the Trumpsters than with the Squad. While it's insane, it needs to be addressed if we want to control Congress, SCOTUS & some of the flyover states].

So, what do we do to fix things?

Simple - learn from the right. That is a coalition of two distinct and seemingly diametrically opposed groups (well one group and two sub groups) - the Don't Tax My Fortune and End All Regulation of my Business Oligarchs, the Libertarian White Supremacists & the White Supremacist Religious Zealots.

The Oligarchs want to completely entrench their privilege, the Libertarians want complete freedom for white people (and their guns) to do whatever they want and the Zealots want to execute homosexuals and ban abortions. Do they all get everything they want in every election? No. But they satisfy themselves with steady, incremental gains and let each other win.

The GOP has had control of the WH, Congress & SCOTUS for 20 of the last 40 years.

They've had the capacity to reverse Roe v. Wade - but have they? No. It would've been a victory, but a Pyrrhic one that would've cost them in other areas. Instead, they have a virtual ban on abortion in 60% of the USA and steadily add 1 to 2% ever 4 years.

The GOP could've completely eliminated gun control under Bush I, but that would have tremendous fallout with respect to their law enforcement wing, as well as with the Libertarians who aren't comfortable with BIPOC being armed. Instead, we have a de facto system where you can pretty much get whatever gun you want as long as you follow the process.

As for the Oligarchs - the reason Washington is broken is because they want it that way. Government gridlock keeps Uncle Sam out of their businesses and pockets - except when they want to rob said Uncle, in which case they activate their pets in Congress and get a "stimulus bill" passed where 80% of the dough is passed on to the top 1%.

The left doesn't play well together and doesn't exercise the patience - or the trust - to take turns in winning and dividing the spoils. That's why even our wins are losses.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject:

sounds like the problem is lack of choice, only 2 viable boxes but now is not the time so progressives stand down and toe the line
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject:

Money, not democracy, runs this country, and those with the most money make up the least of the population...but exert the most power and influence.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

AOC isn't a demagogue.

Yes. In Georgia.

It's called "party discipline," which is something that progressives (of which I am one) suck at and conservatives excel at. It's why the democratic party won the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 Presidential elections and yet John Roberts, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett are on the SCOTUS.

We've become ideologues who "take our balls and go home" if we don't get our way and practice grievance politics just as much as the right.

Yes, Florida was stolen in Gore v. Bush, but a number of progressives "punished" Clinton corporatism by voting for Bush, voting 3rd party or not at all and Bush flipped 11 states from blue to red in 2000. [Jim Hightower's study showed 191,000 self-described liberals voted for Bush in FLA in 2000, a state Gore lost by 537 votes].

In 2016, I personally know of some ultra-left "influencers" who refused to vote for Hilary and encouraged their circles not to vote for her, because, you know, she's a Clinton and robbed Bernie. How'd that turn out?

Here in LA before the California primary, there was a push to turn out an "eff Biden" vote for Bernie to "teach the Democratic Party a lesson and not ignore the left." I went back and forth with some of the organizers about squelching it. Their POV was that California was safe and there was no danger of Trump winning the state. My counter was there was a definite danger of down-ballot races being affected, and a bigger danger of progressives in Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, et. al, seeing the goings-on in California and letting it impact their states.

In the end, what did we see?

1. Biden defeated Trump by a respectable margin with record voter turnout.
2. Trump received 11 million MORE votes than in 2016.
3. Democrats LOST seats in the House.
4. Democrats likely failed to take the Senate (may I please be wrong).

Why? (Here's where the recriminations come in):

1. The "Defund the Police" message. I'm BIPOC and fully understand the issue (every male in my immediate family is black - and so are the women). I've been to all the protests and several BLM-LA meetings with Akili, et. al. (haven't joined because I'm no longer a joiner of things).

"Reform the Police" is a policy that appeals on many levels - fiscal reform, community based policing strategies, etc. "Defund the Police" is a slogan that scares the crap out of swing voters, soccer moms and senior citizens, all of whom matter in the electorate.

2. "Self righteousness & intellectual elitism." Non college educated whites are people, too, and really should be a staple voter for the left . . . but they don't "get" Maddow and are happy to work for Big Energy or Big Ag or any other big exploiter because there isn't a lot of opportunity for non-college whites . . .

or non-college BIPOC, for that matter, which is also why there was a decline in black/latinx male support for the Democratic ticket. [Let me hide behind my internet invisibility right now]. The "left" has been persistent and adamant in pushing for diversity - particularly gender/orientation/identity diversity - at every opportunity. Which is just and fair and overdue. The GOP comes across as the "White Christian Men's Party" because of their own lack of diversity.

For the left, however, our embracing of diversity can be, at times, framed or misinterpreted as being anti-male (definitely anti cis-gendered or heteronormative, traditionally raised males). BIPOC males have been marginalized for a couple of dozen decades by racism and as they look to assert themselves in the political arena, some are turned off by a left that seemingly focuses on the more nuanced issues of intersectionality that the issues of men who have been systematically denied the opportunity to be "men" in the traditional sense in their households, communities & marketplaces. [I guess a better way to put it is that a percentage of those men who've been marginalized now seem to be competing against the other groups in the party for recognition and now somehow find more acceptance among the Trumpsters than with the Squad. While it's insane, it needs to be addressed if we want to control Congress, SCOTUS & some of the flyover states].

So, what do we do to fix things?

Simple - learn from the right. That is a coalition of two distinct and seemingly diametrically opposed groups (well one group and two sub groups) - the Don't Tax My Fortune and End All Regulation of my Business Oligarchs, the Libertarian White Supremacists & the White Supremacist Religious Zealots.

The Oligarchs want to completely entrench their privilege, the Libertarians want complete freedom for white people (and their guns) to do whatever they want and the Zealots want to execute homosexuals and ban abortions. Do they all get everything they want in every election? No. But they satisfy themselves with steady, incremental gains and let each other win.

The GOP has had control of the WH, Congress & SCOTUS for 20 of the last 40 years.

They've had the capacity to reverse Roe v. Wade - but have they? No. It would've been a victory, but a Pyrrhic one that would've cost them in other areas. Instead, they have a virtual ban on abortion in 60% of the USA and steadily add 1 to 2% ever 4 years.

The GOP could've completely eliminated gun control under Bush I, but that would have tremendous fallout with respect to their law enforcement wing, as well as with the Libertarians who aren't comfortable with BIPOC being armed. Instead, we have a de facto system where you can pretty much get whatever gun you want as long as you follow the process.

As for the Oligarchs - the reason Washington is broken is because they want it that way. Government gridlock keeps Uncle Sam out of their businesses and pockets - except when they want to rob said Uncle, in which case they activate their pets in Congress and get a "stimulus bill" passed where 80% of the dough is passed on to the top 1%.

The left doesn't play well together and doesn't exercise the patience - or the trust - to take turns in winning and dividing the spoils. That's why even our wins are losses.

Excellent post, thank you for the dose of pragmatism.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Katie Porter destroying Mnuchkin is a fun fun watch. Also love Warren's tweet about it.

https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status/1334245261363843072

It's good, but needs more whiteboard.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject:

More from the crazy drunk Karen “star witness” in Michigan. SNL couldn’t do a better job than this.

https://v.redd.it/80dxdp9bgv261
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
SurveyUSA has Ossoff 50-48 & Warnock 52-45 in the GA-SEN runoffs this morning. FWIW, same pollster had Biden +2 and Perdue +3 in mid-October (pretty decent finding compared to results)

https://mobile.twitter.com/kkondik/status/1334508863576551425
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2849, 2850, 2851 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2850 of 3663
Jump to: