THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2576, 2577, 2578 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Pence's chief of staff has COVID. They've already announced that Pence will continue campaigning like nothing happened.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
The main reason Biden can easily lose this election is his terrible tax plan.

People making over 400k will be taxed at over 60% in California. That's not including a 10% sales tax... So basically everyone here making that much will be taxed at 70%.

You might consider that rich and they can afford it but they're not billionaires who have no problems. These are people running small businesses competing with corporations.

It will kill california small business... He put small business owners and the business community at large in a tight position. Vote for a jackass who divides this country, Trump or vote for an idiot trying to bankrupt everyone, Biden.

I hate these misrepresentations of tax. If you are taxed at say 60% for income over $400K, only that income over $400K is taxed at 60%.

Everyone's income is taxed the same (though not everyone can write off a large portion of it). Everyone's (I'll keep it simple and only mention singles) income between ~10K and ~40K is taxed at 12%. EVERYONE. Everyone's income between ~40K and ~85K is taxed at 22%. EVERYONE. And on and on.

Now if you are a small business owner and you make $400K income, I don't know how you will be put out of business. I bet a lot of small businesses wished they had an income of $400k a year.

And, by the way, the federal tax rate alone was between 63% and 94% from 1930-1981, and over 70% in all but five of those years. The GDP from those years was far higher than the years after. From 1933 to 1981 (the FDR Revolution), the GDP was 4.69%. From 1982 - 2019 (the Reagan Revolution), it was 2.72%. I'll make this caveat: They (BEA--Bureau of Economic Analysis) sometimes revise GDP numbers so my numbers, a few years outdated, might to be exact. But they are very close.

You can try and paint it any color you like. His tax plan hurts businesses across the nation. Everyone in the business community sees it and talks about it

.... Its a really bad plan. Like lose an election bad

The Trump/GOP tax bailouts for corporations and the rich just made them all much, much richer over the last couple of years and especially during the pandemic -- while everyone else got massively hurt. This is about balancing the scales and helping regular people instead of making the rich richer.

Most people actually do get that. They know income inequality is a major problem and the only way to reverse that is to tax the rich at the rates they used to be taxed at before Republicans gave them all huge amounts of free money. Do you know what they they did with those increased profits? Did they re-invest in expanding their business or in their workers or the economy? No, they cashed out and pocketed the money for themselves. The only way to put that money back into the economy - for the good of everyone, even them - is to make the rich and corporations pay their fair share of taxes.

People making 400k a year arent billionaires or ceo's of corporations. He is raising taxes on small business across the nation's. It's hurts the back bone of the country.

Think if you had a business and had 15 emploees in LA. If Biden got his way every dollar you made past 400k was taxed at more than 60% and you still had to pay 10% on everything you bought.

Think about how much that would hurt your business and how much less you could reinvest into the business to grow.

You want to raise taxes on the mega rich... fine but that's not what Biden is doing

Let’s start with your more than 60% figure. With Biden’s top tax bracket at 39.6, I’d really love to know how you got there. I mean, I know, but I’d like to hear how you’re planning to explain that deliberate lie. And then we can talk about why this business killing tax argument always seems to be built on lies like this.

Second, let’s discuss the myth of increased marginal tax rates on business expansion or increased employee benefits. I’m eager to see the evidence that higher rates of tax on profit keep small businesses (who have myriad ways to fully or partially shield expansion costs from taxation in the first place) from spending on growth that will yield more profit, and then we can get to the fact that tax breaks for business owners almost never result in expansion of pay and benefits for employees, and even less likely for employees below the senior level.

If the sole owner or partners in a business who are taking 400k as their personal share of a business’s profits, raising the marginal percentage a few points isn’t going to close the business or stop expansion or cut jobs. And fwiw, if they want to give their employees some extra money but “can’t” because of higher tax rates, that’s a lie because wages are pre tax.

60%
Federal income + California State income + FICA
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

People making over 400k will be taxed at over 60% in California. That's not including a 10% sales tax... So basically everyone here making that much will be taxed at 70%.

You might consider that rich and they can afford it but they're not billionaires who have no problems. These are people running small businesses competing with corporations.

It will kill california small business... He put small business owners and the business community at large in a tight position. Vote for a jackass who divides this country, Trump or vote for an idiot trying to bankrupt everyone, Biden.

I hate these misrepresentations of tax. If you are taxed at say 60% for income over $400K, only that income over $400K is taxed at 60%.

Everyone's income is taxed the same (though not everyone can write off a large portion of it). Everyone's (I'll keep it simple and only mention singles) income between ~10K and ~40K is taxed at 12%. EVERYONE. Everyone's income between ~40K and ~85K is taxed at 22%. EVERYONE. And on and on.

Now if you are a small business owner and you make $400K income, I don't know how you will be put out of business. I bet a lot of small businesses wished they had an income of $400k a year.

And, by the way, the federal tax rate alone was between 63% and 94% from 1930-1981, and over 70% in all but five of those years. The GDP from those years was far higher than the years after. From 1933 to 1981 (the FDR Revolution), the GDP was 4.69%. From 1982 - 2019 (the Reagan Revolution), it was 2.72%. I'll make this caveat: They (BEA--Bureau of Economic Analysis) sometimes revise GDP numbers so my numbers, a few years outdated, might to be exact. But they are very close.

You can try and paint it any color you like. His tax plan hurts businesses across the nation. Everyone in the business community sees it and talks about it

The Trump/GOP tax bailouts for corporations and the rich just made them all much, much richer over the last couple of years and especially during the pandemic -- while everyone else got massively hurt. This is about balancing the scales and helping regular people instead of making the rich richer.

Most people actually do get that. They know income inequality is a major problem and the only way to reverse that is to tax the rich at the rates they used to be taxed at before Republicans gave them all huge amounts of free money. Do you know what they they did with those increased profits? Did they re-invest in expanding their business or in their workers or the economy? No, they cashed out and pocketed the money for themselves. The only way to put that money back into the economy - for the good of everyone, even them - is to make the rich and corporations pay their fair share of taxes.

People making 400k a year arent billionaires or ceo's of corporations. He is raising taxes on small business across the nation's. It's hurts the back bone of the country.

Think if you had a business and had 15 emploees in LA. If Biden got his way every dollar you made past 400k was taxed at more than 60% and you still had to pay 10% on everything you bought.

Think about how much that would hurt your business and how much less you could reinvest into the business to grow.

You want to raise taxes on the mega rich... fine but that's not what Biden is doing

Let’s start with your more than 60% figure. With Biden’s top tax bracket at 39.6, I’d really love to know how you got there. I mean, I know, but I’d like to hear how you’re planning to explain that deliberate lie. And then we can talk about why this business killing tax argument always seems to be built on lies like this.

Second, let’s discuss the myth of increased marginal tax rates on business expansion or increased employee benefits. I’m eager to see the evidence that higher rates of tax on profit keep small businesses (who have myriad ways to fully or partially shield expansion costs from taxation in the first place) from spending on growth that will yield more profit, and then we can get to the fact that tax breaks for business owners almost never result in expansion of pay and benefits for employees, and even less likely for employees below the senior level.

If the sole owner or partners in a business who are taking 400k as their personal share of a business’s profits, raising the marginal percentage a few points isn’t going to close the business or stop expansion or cut jobs. And fwiw, if they want to give their employees some extra money but “can’t” because of higher tax rates, that’s a lie because wages are pre tax.

60%

Please tell me that you don't do your own taxes.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

60%

I'm struggling to understand how someone can make over $400K in personal income and still be dumb enough to think Biden is taxing their income 60%. It's either willful ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/kenolin1/status/1320196685784465408?s=21

#FakeMalania
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Pence's chief of staff has COVID. They've already announced that Pence will continue campaigning like nothing happened.

Just to add to this...

There are now 5 confirmed cases of COVID of people directly connected to Mike Pence. Meadows reportedly wanted to keep the latest cases from the public.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject:

Trump said at a rally last night that US doctors and hospitals are being paid to fake and inflate COVID deaths. Apparently US doctors are in on the plot to make Trump look bad for ignoring COVID and pretending it's no big deal. We'd be rounding the corner if it just weren't for those damn doctors and testing!

What a mother-(bleep) piece-of-(bleep).
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Joy Reid 😷) @JoyAnnReid Twitter

An horrific thought to ponder: how many Americans would die if Trump gets four more years to impose his herd immunity quackery on us. The estimates say we are talking about *millions.* We are already at a quarter million dead. And that’s with him doing herd immunity unannounced.

And what happens to the millions of people his court strips of Obamacare including the 8+ million who now have coronavirus as a pre-existing condition? Republicans fundamentally believe insurance cos should refuse coverage and charge at will. How many would die or go bankrupt?

How much more of our precious national land resources would he and Republicans hand over to oil and gas and coal companies, killing even more people through dirty air, coal ash-clogged water and global warming-induced superstorms?

What would an unleashed Stephen Miller mean for migrant children and their parents? How many more little kids would they steal and cage? What becomes of BLM protests if Trump unleashes his allied, armed right wing gangs on our streets? Why would he suddenly hold back?

And how open would Trump throw the doors to our enemies and adversaries; to Russia, and North Korea and the Saudis? Would we even be a NATO country anymore? Would we even be a democracy? Would there ever be a free and fair election here again?

We already know elected Republicans wouldn’t stop any of this. They are willing to let it all burn as long as they ride the bomb to the ground still in power. There’s not one of them who would stop him to save our country from mass death and autocracy. Not one. It’s depressing.

And Democrats can only do so much with just one branch of government, especially once the Supreme Court is fully in the grip of Team Oligarchy. This election is literally a life or death matter for America. We can spend the next four years debating the future or lamenting it.

This is the stuff that keeps me awake all night. I truly hope everyone who can, votes.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject:

Mark Meadows admits on Sunday morning talk shows that Trump administration is not even *trying* to control the spread of the pandemic:

Quote:
Ben Rhodes @brhodes

Meadows was a quintessential Tea Party Birther so it’s fitting he’s the guy telling us they’re not even trying to control the pandemic. This is the Republican Party and it’s not fit to govern anything.

Quote:
Aaron Rupar @atrupar

MEADOWS: We're not going to control the pandemic

TAPPER: Why not?

M: Because it's a contagious virus

T: Why not make efforts to contain it?

M: What we need to do is make sure we have the proper mitigation factors to make sure people don't die. (Says we will instead try to get therapeutics and vaccines rather than trying to control the spread.)

We could prevent 90% of new cases just by: WEARING MASKS, 6-FOOT SOCIAL DISTANCING, WASHING HANDS, STAYING OUT OF CROWDED SPACES FOR PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME.

This is not rocket science. This goes back to the same caveman/macho/stubborn mentality of "don't tell me what to do!" They don't care if it kills millions of their fellow citizens because it might make them feel "unmanly" to wear a mask for 10 minutes. Baby-man toxic masculinity will kill us all. Trump is the head baby-man in charge of the baby-man party.

Wearing a mask doesn't make you look weak. Refusing to wear a mask because you're afraid you might look weak -- makes you look weak.

Just on Friday Trump had a large press gathering in the oval office with no social distancing and no masks. And he mocked a reporter for wearing a "big mask." Trump holds superspreader rally events every day. Two weeks after each event, that state experiences a surge in COVID cases. Trump and GOP are literally killing people as official policy. AND. THEY. DON'T. CARE.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

60%

Well at least we know what the GOP is broadcasting to the Great Unwashed. It's desperation time, so call the Dems socialists and claim that the middle class to upper middle class will be destroyed, and use a phony taxation percent to scare them.

The same GOP supporting crowd will also scream about the federal deficit, yet are seemingly unable to connect the dots between tax revenues and the deficit. On script, I expect some GOP supporter to mention something silly like, "business will boom with lower tax rates, leading to more tax revenues!". The GOP alchemy never ceases to amaze me.

And to be fair, it isn't just the GOP. I wish both parties would just realize that the answer isn't growing the deficit at a much higher rate than the GNP. At some point there will be a reckoning, when your tax dollars or your children's tax dollars will used on debt service rather than social services or defense.

We need tax reform. The wealthy do not pay a fair share, and neither do many large corporations. Look no further to the con man in the White House who paid more taxes to the People's Republic of China than he paid to the United States, on magnitudes of less revenue.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

60%

I'm struggling to understand how someone can make over $400K in personal income and still be dumb enough to think Biden is taxing their income 60%. It's either willful ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.

While I explained how I thought PM was missing the point, the fact of the matter is, many businesses with earnings above $400K will pay over 60% on some of their income in Calif.

39.6 Fed
11.3 Calif (and up to 13.3)
12.4 Fica (6.2 for individuals)
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject:

If you go downstream to the SMBs (small to medium businesses) you find rampant deductions for personal expenses. The IRS doesn't want to question these unless they're extremely blatant. The tax code needs to be simplified.

That includes estate taxes... the kind that benefited the Buss family. Someone has to pay the bills.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject:

We--the non-rich--have to pay the bills. We're not worthy of the tax breaks/deductions meant for the well-to-do.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
We--the non-rich--have to pay the bills. We're not worthy of the tax breaks/deductions meant for the well-to-do.

Look . . . how's a billionaire supposed to stay a billionaire if he has to give up some of his money to help pay taxes like the little people?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Mark Meadows admits on Sunday morning talk shows that Trump administration is not even *trying* to control the spread of the pandemic:

Quote:
Ben Rhodes @brhodes

Meadows was a quintessential Tea Party Birther so it’s fitting he’s the guy telling us they’re not even trying to control the pandemic. This is the Republican Party and it’s not fit to govern anything.

Quote:
Aaron Rupar @atrupar

MEADOWS: We're not going to control the pandemic

TAPPER: Why not?

M: Because it's a contagious virus

T: Why not make efforts to contain it?

M: What we need to do is make sure we have the proper mitigation factors to make sure people don't die. (Says we will instead try to get therapeutics and vaccines rather than trying to control the spread.)

We could prevent 90% of new cases just by: WEARING MASKS, 6-FOOT SOCIAL DISTANCING, WASHING HANDS, STAYING OUT OF CROWDED SPACES FOR PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME.

This is not rocket science. This goes back to the same caveman/macho/stubborn mentality of "don't tell me what to do!" They don't care if it kills millions of their fellow citizens because it might make them feel "unmanly" to wear a mask for 10 minutes. Baby-man toxic masculinity will kill us all. Trump is the head baby-man in charge of the baby-man party.

Wearing a mask doesn't make you look weak. Refusing to wear a mask because you're afraid you might look weak -- makes you look weak.

Just on Friday Trump had a large press gathering in the oval office with no social distancing and no masks. And he mocked a reporter for wearing a "big mask." Trump holds superspreader rally events every day. Two weeks after each event, that state experiences a surge in COVID cases. Trump and GOP are literally killing people as official policy. AND. THEY. DON'T. CARE.

Preventing contagious spread doesn’t prevent development of therapeutic modality. Double whammy for minority communities where the contagious spread is higher and the therapeutic modalities are less available
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

60%

While I explained how I thought PM was missing the point, the fact of the matter is, many businesses with earnings above $400K will pay over 60% on some of their income in Calif.

39.6 Fed

That’s just not true though. By the time you reach the top fed threshold, you’ve long since passed the Fica cap at 137,000.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

60%

39.6 Fed

That’s just not true though. By the time you reach the top fed threshold, you’ve long since passed the Fica cap at 137,000.

Not according to the Tax Foundation regarding Biden's proposal.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@NateSilver538 “I buy that we’re going to know quite a bit on election night … we could even get an election night call. Still, I would advise caution. If it does come down to the Midwest, we could be waiting for a long time.” http://abcn.ws/31C35wQ

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1320371133598793729
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

The American Prospect: How Racist Are Republicans? Very.

Quote:
Among the most respected and revelatory of polls is the annual survey of Americans’ opinions from the Public Religion Research Institute, which released this year’s survey earlier this week. It contains few surprises, but its detailed questioning of different subgroups confirms just how starkly we’re divided—above all, on issues of race.

Quote:
On questions of both race and gender, the partisan differences are vast. Asked whether American society “has become too soft and feminine,” 39 percent of Americans agreed, but 59 percent disagreed. Among Republicans, 63 percent agreed; among Democrats, 24 percent. I suspect that this is one issue on which the support Trump has among working-class men of all races is based.

Quote:
PRRI also asked respondents whether they believed that, “It always makes the country better when all Americans speak up and protest unfair treatment by government.” Then, it asked the same question, but substituted “Black Americans” for “all Americans.” Democrats made no distinction between the two questions: 71 percent answered Yes to both. Among Republicans, however, 49 percent believed it made the country better when all Americans spoke up and protested unfair governmental treatment, but just 24 percent believed it when Black Americans spoke up and protested. Among Republicans whose most trusted news source is Fox News, the gap was 47 percent Yes for all Americans, and a bare 10 percent for Blacks.

Indeed, 57 percent of Republicans believed that whites face “a lot of discrimination,” while just 52 percent believe that Blacks do. Among Democrats, 13 percent said whites encounter a lot of discrimination; 92 percent said Blacks do.

The euphemistic encapsulation of the above is that Republicans have consolidated the traditionalist vote. A somewhat clearer encapsulation is that the Republicans have become a rats’ nest of sexists and racists.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

There is a clip of Latinos riding their horses to the polls in Nevada. The coolest thing I've seen in a while.

https://twitter.com/votolatino/status/1320401436912607235
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

Trump/GOP closing message to the nation one-week before the election:

We are definitely *not* trying to stop the spread of COVID and we have no plan to do so.

But we *are* trying to take away healthcare from 30M Americans and rip away pre-existing condition protection from 100M Americans in the middle of the pandemic we are letting spread like wildfire.

Also, there will be no COVID relief package for the unemployed, small businesses, no help for schools, no help for doctors and hospitals, no money for testing, no help for financially hurting states. It was more important to jam through a partisan judge to help us steal the election in case it's close.

Vote for us!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

60%

39.6 Fed

True, but if you're an SMB with a fair number of workers who earn labor under the threshold it can feel like a bite. The problem is that folks don't understand how those funds are needed to sustain our society.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

But to put it all in perspective, a friend runs a small professional services corporation. He makes well over $600K and he pays no taxes.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

Trafalgar is one of those "shy Trump voter" polling companies that keep publishing polls where Trump is ahead in every swing state. Nate Silver tweeted about their crosstabs and none of them make any sense. So a few hours later, Trafalgar decides to take down that crosstab information and the link to it is dead.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

Awesome polls, chef.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2576, 2577, 2578 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2577 of 3673
Jump to: