THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2575, 2576, 2577 ... 3680, 3681, 3682  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

California / LA County makes it so damn easy to vote. Very impressive.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

With all due respect, you in fact are poo pooing - saying "poor poor $400,00aires"

If that is how you hear it, fine. It is not what I meant, if you look at the context of the conversation, but believe what you must.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
My 85-year-old mother confided in me a couple of months ago that my sister (a Trump supporter) convinced her to change political parties from Democrat to Republican and vote for Trump in the 2016 election. I was shocked when I heard this and couldn't believe it. Well, now I'm happy to say my Mom has seen the light and is now registered back to Democrat and she voted for Biden. She can't stand Trump.

Where does your sister stand at this point?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
32 wrote:
My 85-year-old mother confided in me a couple of months ago that my sister (a Trump supporter) convinced her to change political parties from Democrat to Republican and vote for Trump in the 2016 election. I was shocked when I heard this and couldn't believe it. Well, now I'm happy to say my Mom has seen the light and is now registered back to Democrat and she voted for Biden. She can't stand Trump.

Where does your sister stand at this point?

She still supports Trump. I refuse to talk to her about politics. My Mom talks to her and she tells me a little bit about their political conversations. She has gotten progressively more radical about her politics over the years. She voted for Obama in 2008 and then she joined the tea party movement in 2012. She voted for Romney in 2012 and then Trump in 2016.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject:

Obama giving a great speech in Florida right now. Joe is in my neck of the woods today (Pennsylvania).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DrDent wrote:

With all due respect, you in fact are poo pooing - saying "poor poor $400,00aires"

If that is how you hear it, fine. It is not what I meant, if you look at the context of the conversation, but believe what you must.

It’s just projection really, because people making that level of income being victims if they have to pay a modicum more in taxes is what’s condescending. And not saying Dr. Dent is that wealthy or projecting, he’s just kind of following that line of thought that’s been put out there.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject:

This conversation reminds me of the quote that the problem isn’t that we can’t afford to help the poor, but rather that we can never satisfy the wealthy.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

how racist are republicans?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
This conversation reminds me of the quote that the problem isn’t that we can’t afford to help the poor, but rather that we can never satisfy the wealthy.

Sadly, the biggest problem is that the poor keep thinking that what's good for the wealthy is good for them.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Sadly, the biggest problem is that the poor keep thinking that what's good for the wealthy is good for them.

I e come to realize that along with racism, the biggest reason working class men vote republican is not economic, it’s because they want to continue to act like cave men, and the GOP encourages them to.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I may be going off on a tangent, but I was reminded me of:

President Lyndon B. Johnson:
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Repubs still employ this tactic...and have expanded it to include race and class.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I e come to realize that along with racism, the biggest reason working class men vote republican is not economic, it’s because they want to continue to act like cave men, and the GOP encourages them to.

This is from that Philadelphia Inquirer article I posted a few pages back about white women in PA switching from Trump to Biden:

Quote:
Nationally, women are more likely than men to be registered Democrats, by about 10 percentage points, driven in part by more liberal positions on issues including spending on government aid, same-sex marriage, and military use of force.

Courtney Kubovcik mostly voted for Republicans until Trump’s election. A social worker, she now canvasses for the progressive group Voices of Westmoreland, a Democratic group in one of the counties that has swung the most toward Trump of any in the state. She said men often tell her they associate the Democratic Party with weakness.

“A lot of them aren’t able to connect with the progressive movement or the social justice movement because they perceive it as weak," Kubovcik said. “It’s for women, it’s women’s work. Most of the men that I’ve interacted with are not very concerned with the welfare of other people. They’re very much into that whole mind-set of Western independence and rugged individualism, which, I think, is sad.”

The other word for it is selfishness, or self-centeredness. Trump is the epitome of the self-centered male taken to it's most extreme (and pathological extreme). That's why he is their avatar. It's gross and grotesque.

And sadly it's not limited to white men. Trump's appeal among black and Latinx men has risen. The caveman/macho/selfish vibe appeals to them too.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

^^^And the Republican women who enable them:

Quote:
MSNBC @MSNBC

JUST IN: Republican Sen. Murkowski reverses course and says she now plans to vote in favor of Judge Amy Coney Barrett's final confirmation to the U.S. Supreme Court, which is expected to happen early next week.

Just as grotesque and maybe more so because she knows better. She knows it's the end of Roe and ACA and that she is harming other women -- and she doesn't care because she already got hers.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
MSNBC @MSNBC

JUST IN: Republican Sen. Murkowski reverses course and says she now plans to vote in favor of Judge Amy Coney Barrett's final confirmation to the U.S. Supreme Court, which is expected to happen early next week.

Just as grotesque and maybe more so because she knows better. She knows it's the end of Roe and ACA and that she is harming other women -- and she doesn't care because she already got hers.

Her explanation of why is infuriating.

Basically: “I didn’t think we should have gotten in the car to burn down that house, but once we got there since we were already at the house, I was like ‘whatever hand me some matches and gasoline.’”
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

This is from that Philadelphia Inquirer article I posted a few pages back about white women in PA switching from Trump to Biden:

Quote:
Nationally, women are more likely than men to be registered Democrats, by about 10 percentage points, driven in part by more liberal positions on issues including spending on government aid, same-sex marriage, and military use of force.

Courtney Kubovcik mostly voted for Republicans until Trump’s election. A social worker, she now canvasses for the progressive group Voices of Westmoreland, a Democratic group in one of the counties that has swung the most toward Trump of any in the state. She said men often tell her they associate the Democratic Party with weakness.

“A lot of them aren’t able to connect with the progressive movement or the social justice movement because they perceive it as weak," Kubovcik said. “It’s for women, it’s women’s work. Most of the men that I’ve interacted with are not very concerned with the welfare of other people. They’re very much into that whole mind-set of Western independence and rugged individualism, which, I think, is sad.”

The other word for it is selfishness, or self-centeredness. Trump is the epitome of the self-centered male taken to it's most extreme (and pathological extreme). That's why he is their avatar. It's gross and grotesque.

And sadly it's not limited to white men. Trump's appeal among black and Latinx men has risen. The caveman/macho/selfish vibe appeals to them too.

As someone said, Trump is a poor uneducated man’s idea of what a rich businessman ought to be. Crass, aggressive, sexist, racist, and dumb, like them. He really is one of them with money.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
MSNBC @MSNBC

As many of us said when she first said she would not vote to confirm . . . "Bull (bleep)!"
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject:

This is what Biden is going up against

https://imgur.com/gallery/lMA6AHs
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
This is what Biden is going up against

https://imgur.com/gallery/lMA6AHs

“Deplorable” was too kind of a word to describe these people.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Here is some info on what we can when, as Wilt says, we the people stop Trump’s potential power grab post-defeat. What to do if Trump Stages a Coup
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject:

just read that New Yorker article...THANKS...

trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
MSNBC @MSNBC

As many of us said when she first said she would not vote to confirm . . . "Bull (bleep)!"

But DaMuleRules, poor Lisa was forced into voting to confirm after they wouldn’t listen to her cries about not advancing the nomination. SHE’S the real victim here!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
MSNBC @MSNBC

But DaMuleRules, poor Lisa was forced into voting to confirm after they wouldn’t listen to her cries about not advancing the nomination. SHE’S the real victim here!

And someone also came along and stole her integrity. The poor woman is just the perpetual victim.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Popping back in to note I was very wrong about Murkowski, re: Barrett.

Hopefully that doesn't portend I'll also be wrong about the US not descending into a fascist dictatorship like DMR predicts. Fingers crossed and napalm prepped.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Hopefully that doesn't portend I'll also be wrong about the US not descending into a fascist dictatorship like DMR predicts. Fingers crossed and napalm prepped.

Whose platform in public office do you most identify with?
I've been meaning to ask you. I imagine it's Mayor Pete or Romney (if he had a backbone).
Mine is Elizabeth Warren/AOC.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Stand down and stand by.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2575, 2576, 2577 ... 3680, 3681, 3682  Next
Page 2576 of 3682
Jump to: