THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2572, 2573, 2574 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
And it’s not going to take token minorities in positions of power. We already had Steele and others, elected and not. It’s going to take the GOP wing composed of a majority that places an emphasis on disavowing race, gender, and sexuality discrimination, in word and in deed. And I’m not sure how they get to that in the short term. Their base is largely comprised of combinations of white, straight, male, Christian, nationalist, anti intellectual dominant attitudes. They live in a world view that doesn’t match reality and doesn’t really match the former reality either, and they are both selfish and afraid. And there is no common ground with this view. They either destroy democracy or are run over by it.

The tokenism is personally offensive to me. Because it assumes the minority group is too dumb and lesser than that they can't realize what is going on.

I get the impression Michael Steele is taking that tokenism personally. I wouldn't be surprised to see him switch reels and become a Democrat.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Not long ago, I would have agreed with you on that. But I've come to see that the anti-BLM sentiment isn't just within that loyal base. There are people outside of the base who view BLM negatively because they have bought into the idea that BLM is the reason for all the disruptive protest and rioting (even though they are obviously wrong). There are also people in that moderate conservative range who don't necessarily fall into the base who (incorrectly) see BLM as nothing more than an attack on Law Enforcement and therefor and attack on Law and Order. There is a reason many people have been saying that terms like "Defund the Police" could be dangerously counterproductive to the actual intent of the concept of police reform. I'm not saying they are correct in that calculation and gamble. It's just that at this point, I've come te realize it's not the glaring mistake that it might seem.

You are 100% correct. And I did factor that in when I wrote that.

The thing is, the GOP's stance has activated other voters as well. People who will now vote because the GOP said, "systemic racism doesn't exist". People who will now vote because they see the GOP defending tear gassing, macing, kidnapping plots, and even vigilante "justice" leading to murder. And these people will not only vote for President they'll vote down ballot. They'll vote for Propositions, DAs, and judges too. The GOP shot themselves in the foot iMO.

It looks like the group I'm talking about at least matches the group you are talking about. There's a good chance my group is larger.

The better alternative politically speaking is the GOP saying what conservatives in other countries have said when it comes to corruption in the legal system and policing. Say, "see, this is why we believe in smaller government". Don't deny the existence of the corruption, pitch a solution that appears to address it.

But hey, racists are gonna be racist. Bigots are gonna be bigots. And sexists are gonna be sexist.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Just saw a Trump ad and the male narrator forcefully says of Biden: "he will raise your taxes" if you're in the middle class. Such blatant lies. I guess the GOP thinks that an income of $400K puts you in the middle class!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
And it’s not going to take token minorities in positions of power. We already had Steele and others, elected and not. It’s going to take the GOP wing composed of a majority that places an emphasis on disavowing race, gender, and sexuality discrimination, in word and in deed. And I’m not sure how they get to that in the short term. Their base is largely comprised of combinations of white, straight, male, Christian, nationalist, anti intellectual dominant attitudes. They live in a world view that doesn’t match reality and doesn’t really match the former reality either, and they are both selfish and afraid. And there is no common ground with this view. They either destroy democracy or are run over by it.

This echoes discussions I've had with folks who are voting much like I am. My opinion is behind alot of what is happening is fear - fear of the change. The change from a white majority, to a diverse majority. The refusal to embrace a littered past as part of a more encouraging future.

Trump is the epitomy of that fear. He very much fits your description in many ways. It is as if someone warped some rich white guy right out of the 50's into this Century and said "run this country".

The past few months in just doing research on various issues, listening to interviews, etc, I sometimes get a bit misty-eyed when I think back to 2008 and the day of Obama's inaguration. I remember where I was and who I was with, which I cannot say about most presidents. The message of hope and unification was brilliant and uplifting.

I want that. I *need* that from my president. He was in no way perfect, and did stumble, but he had his heart and head in the right place. I miss him as our leader.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Just saw a Trump ad and the male narrator forcefully says of Biden: "he will raise your taxes" if you're in the middle class. Such blatant lies. I guess the GOP thinks that an income of $400K puts you in the middle class!

Proper emphasis on the “will” in that commercial. Lol. (Back to the Dodger game.)
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

This echoes discussions I've had with folks who are voting much like I am. My opinion is behind alot of what is happening is fear - fear of the change. The change from a white majority, to a diverse majority. The refusal to embrace a littered past as part of a more encouraging future.

Trump is the epitomy of that fear. He very much fits your description in many ways. It is as if someone warped some rich white guy right out of the 50's into this Century and said "run this country".

The past few months in just doing research on various issues, listening to interviews, etc, I sometimes get a bit misty-eyed when I think back to 2008 and the day of Obama's inaguration. I remember where I was and who I was with, which I cannot say about most presidents. The message of hope and unification was brilliant and uplifting.

I want that. I *need* that from my president. He was in no way perfect, and did stumble, but he had his heart and head in the right place. I miss him as our leader.

The best thing Biden said last night was when he responded to Trump's comments on the stimulus. Trump said Pelosi's bill would bail out "poorly ran blue states". And Biden said, I'll be a President for every state. Even the red states being devastated by the virus now.

I'm pretty sure he's said in the past. There are no red states. There are no blue states. There is just the United States.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Lie, tell it again and again. Sooner or later some will believe it. Repuklicans know this. It's their game plan.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DrDent wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

The best thing Biden said last night was when he responded to Trump's comments on the stimulus. Trump said Pelosi's bill would bail out "poorly ran blue states". And Biden said, I'll be a President for every state. Even the red states being devastated by the virus now.

I'm pretty sure he's said in the past. There are no red states. There are no blue states. There is just the United States.

Yes - that was Obama's DNC speech in 2004, which rocketed him up in many people's eyes.

Biden echoes the same sentiments. He sort of makes me think of that Uncle who will make sure the boat stays steady, things wont go out of whack. Will listen to your frustrations and give advice. He will not try to embarrass you, rather he will try to understand you. He's no Obama (frankly, who is) in public presence, charm, or natural leadership, but he is probably the closest thing we got at the moment since he was Obama's right hand man.

I think he will try to fix the divide and lay the foundation for an improved Washington climate. At least, I damn well hope so.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Not long ago, I would have agreed with you on that. But I've come to see that the anti-BLM sentiment isn't just within that loyal base. There are people outside of the base who view BLM negatively because they have bought into the idea that BLM is the reason for all the disruptive protest and rioting (even though they are obviously wrong). There are also people in that moderate conservative range who don't necessarily fall into the base who (incorrectly) see BLM as nothing more than an attack on Law Enforcement and therefor and attack on Law and Order. There is a reason many people have been saying that terms like "Defund the Police" could be dangerously counterproductive to the actual intent of the concept of police reform. I'm not saying they are correct in that calculation and gamble. It's just that at this point, I've come te realize it's not the glaring mistake that it might seem.

You are 100% correct. And I did factor that in when I wrote that.

The thing is, the GOP's stance has activated other voters as well. People who will now vote because the GOP said, "systemic racism doesn't exist". People who will now vote because they see the GOP defending tear gassing, macing, kidnapping plots, and even vigilante "justice" leading to murder. And these people will not only vote for President they'll vote down ballot. They'll vote for Propositions, DAs, and judges too. The GOP shot themselves in the foot iMO.

It looks like the group I'm talking about at least matches the group you are talking about. There's a good chance my group is larger.

The better alternative politically speaking is the GOP saying what conservatives in other countries have said when it comes to corruption in the legal system and policing. Say, "see, this is why we believe in smaller government". Don't deny the existence of the corruption, pitch a solution that appears to address it.

But hey, racists are gonna be racist. Bigots are gonna be bigots. And sexists are gonna be sexist.

Which is why I think the GOP were more willing to stoke some additional dissent that would likely come anyway than they were to risk alienating any of their racist base and discouraging those outside it whom have a misguided concept of what BLM is. They may have miscalculated. But I don't think it was a capricious mistake.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Yes - that was Obama's DNC speech in 2004, which rocketed him up in many people's eyes.

Biden echoes the same sentiments. He sort of makes me think of that Uncle who will make sure the boat stays steady, things wont go out of whack. Will listen to your frustrations and give advice. He will not try to embarrass you, rather he will try to understand you. He's no Obama (frankly, who is) in public presence, charm, or natural leadership, but he is probably the closest thing we got at the moment since he was Obama's right hand man.

I think he will try to fix the divide and lay the foundation for an improved Washington climate. At least, I damn well hope so.

Couldn't agree more.
The first word that comes to mind when I think of Obama is: inspirational.
The first word that comes to mind when I think of Biden is: safe.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Which is why I think the GOP were more willing to stoke some additional dissent that would likely come anyway than they were to risk alienating any of their racist base and discouraging those outside it whom have a misguided concept of what BLM is. They may have miscalculated. But I don't think it was a capricious mistake.

Agreed.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I get the impression Michael Steele is taking that tokenism personally. I wouldn't be surprised to see him switch reels and become a Democrat.

Honestly, (bleep) Michael Steele. There are some lines you don't cross. And when he accepted the job of covering for a racist Birther dominated GOP when our country had its first Black President. He crossed that line. There is zero redemption for that in my book.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Honestly, (bleep) Michael Steele. There are some lines you don't cross. And when he accepted the job of covering for a racist Birther dominated GOP when our country had its first Black President. He crossed that line. There is zero redemption for that in my book.

I'm not exonerating Steele. He's railing against Trump, endorsed Biden. Steele is still a Republican, a Lincoln Project senior advisor. I don't think he will, but if he switches reels I'll accept him, not what he did.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

The tokenism is personally offensive to me. Because it assumes the minority group is too dumb and lesser than that they can't realize what is going on.

He specifically stated he’s staying a republican. Not even going to independent. Sadly, I think that a lot of Steele’s support (and his very very very late endorsement) is similar to that of many of the Lincoln project types. They lost power in their party, opposed Trump and didn’t get in line quickly enough and got pushed out. They want back in. Not to the Democratic Party but the Republican Party. They still believe almost all the same stuff and have convinced themselves that all the racist underpinnings they worked among and fostered aren’t them. They just want to put the professional, elite class back in charge of the rabble, and they would be right back in.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/ASE/status/1319818684005756928?s=19
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
https://twitter.com/ASE/status/1319818684005756928?s=19

I was just coming here to post this too, seems like a good sign!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm not exonerating Steele. He's railing against Trump, endorsed Biden. Steele is still a Republican, a Lincoln Project senior advisor. I don't think he will, but if he switches reels I'll accept him, not what he did.

I feel ya. I know you aren't exonerating him. I'm just a hard ass when it comes to these situations. Same goes for that General who worked for Trump. Refused to testify to the Democratic House about Trump's horrible behavior in the White House even after he was fired. And then wrote a book and cashed in exposing Trump.

If your route to finally doing the right thing involves a trail of abhorrent behavior leading to doing the right thing at the end, when you can cash out $-wise. Not only do I have zero respect for you. I actively dislike you.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

He specifically stated he’s staying a republican. Not even going to independent. Sadly, I think that a lot of Steele’s support (and his very very very late endorsement) is similar to that of many of the Lincoln project types. They lost power in their party, opposed Trump and didn’t get in line quickly enough and got pushed out. They want back in. Not to the Democratic Party but the Republican Party. They still believe almost all the same stuff and have convinced themselves that all the racist underpinnings they worked among and fostered aren’t them. They just want to put the professional, elite class back in charge of the rabble, and they would be right back in.

You make points I agree with. On Steele, I don't think he's a racist in the true sense of racism though I understand if you support racists you're a racist.

Steele strikes me to be a self made Black elite. A man who raised himself by the bootstraps and believes all can and should. For a reason, I can't finger I like Steele. Maybe it's tribalism.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

You make points I agree with. On Steele, I don't think he's a racist in the true sense of racism though I understand if you support racists you're a racist.

Steele strikes me to be a self made Black elite. A man who raised himself by the bootstraps and believes all can and should. For a reason, I can't finger I like Steele. Maybe it's tribalism.

The fact that you can acknowledge Omar is making good points. And you can acknowledge there is an abstract, borderline unjustified thing that makes you like Steele. That puts you in good standing compared to others in your demographic.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don’t think Steele is an active racist or even a conscious assistant. I think there’s a rationalization that comes from internalizing racism, being successful, and wanting to be part of the other team, feeling like you can be them by association. Like many others though, he never seems to get The correlation that the house slaves ate better and lived better, but they were always a whim away from being sold or beaten, and the power structure he works with feels very much that way about him. A useful tool as long as he’s useful, and he can enjoy the shade of privilege while doing so, but never really one of them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don’t think Steele is an active racist or even a conscious assistant. I think there’s a rationalization that comes from internalizing racism, being successful, and wanting to be part of the other team, feeling like you can be them by association. Like many others though, he never seems to get The correlation that the house slaves ate better and lived better, but they were always a whim away from being sold or beaten, and the power structure he works with feels very much that way about him. A useful tool as long as he’s useful, and he can enjoy the shade of privilege while doing so, but never really one of them.

Your description of Steele is veiled. He's been used by the power structure and I think he knows and is upset by the realization. Steele is a man without a country. Not surprised he married a Caucasian.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think Steele is upset being used by power as much as he’s upset losing his place in the structure. Otherwise he wouldn’t be staying a republican. Trump isn’t some new thing in the party, he’s a manifestation of what was there, and what he not only condoned, he assisted, because he was getting his. To put it as bluntly as I can, he wants back in the house, not emancipation.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I don’t think Steele is upset being used by power as much as he’s upset losing his place in the structure. Otherwise he wouldn’t be staying a republican. Trump isn’t some new thing in the party, he’s a manifestation of what was there, and what he not only condoned, he assisted, because he was getting his. To put it as bluntly as I can, he wants back in the house, not emancipation.

You've convinced me. 👍🏾

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You've convinced me. 👍🏾

Wow, this is a first for me. I may just go think about it a while!
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Quote:
@GOP

Pres. Trump is fighting for YOU! Here are some of his priorities for a 2nd term:

*Establish Permanent Manned Presence on The Moon
*Send the 1st Manned Mission to Mars
*Build World’s Greatest Infrastructure System
*Establish National High-Speed Wireless Internet Network

https://twitter.com/gop/status/1319715289328766980?s=21

Never ending SNL skit.

Hey mother$#@@(#$&% How about the @&$*ing pandemic?

this should help you calm down
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2572, 2573, 2574 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 2573 of 3671
Jump to: