THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2458, 2459, 2460 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Trump, his people, and the GOP know if they lose this election (and they know to a certainty they will if it is even remotely close to fair), the consequences are dire. They might never see the presidency or a senate majority again in their lifetime, precisely because their chicanery will have caused the democrats to take steps they otherwise never would. And the consequences include potential jail and ruin for some of them.

So if you think their plan is to try and cheat and the margins and then accept a loss if that doesn’t work, you’re not paying attention to what they are saying out loud. They intend to send gop electors even if the Dems win the vote, and to have the Supreme Court uphold that, and to shoot protestors like dogs in the streets if they rise up.

That sums up the last two pages of this thread into one sentence.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Trump, his people, and the GOP know if they lose this election (and they know to a certainty they will if it is even remotely close to fair), the consequences are dire. They might never see the presidency or a senate majority again in their lifetime, precisely because their chicanery will have caused the democrats to take steps they otherwise never would. And the consequences include potential jail and ruin for some of them.

So if you think their plan is to try and cheat and the margins and then accept a loss if that doesn’t work, you’re not paying attention to what they are saying out loud. They intend to send gop electors even if the Dems win the vote, and to have the Supreme Court uphold that, and to shoot protestors like dogs in the streets if they rise up.

Ok. Work that out for me state by state.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

What then? They shoot at a few of us and we will submit to their will and accept the House of Trump as our overlords? Do you seriously believe that?

How is any of that politically sustainable? What do they do with the majority of the population opposing them? Concentration camps? Mass executions? Because it wouldn't end at shooting a few protestors.

And just like that, we are an authoritarian dictatorship by January?

And all of that to prevent jail time for Eric Trump and William Barr.

Last edited by Wilt on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

What then? They shoot at a few of us and we will submit to their will and accept the House of Trump as our overlords? Do you seriously believe that?

How is any of that politically sustainable? What do they do with the majority of the population opposing them? Concentration camps? Mass executions? Because it wouldn't end at shooting a few protestors.

And just like that, we are an authoritarian dictatorship by January.

Nevermind, Wilt got there. I love Wilt.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

What then? They shoot at a few of us

Define "a few" . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

And just like that, we are an authoritarian dictatorship by January.

Nevermind, Wilt got there. I love Wilt.

I love Wilt too. I just think he has a very pollyanna attitude when it comes to what is happening and what it may result in.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Define "a few" . . .

I don't know. You should ask 24 that question. It assumes that shooting protestors will have the desired outcome for the GOP, meaning that the rest of us will submit to them at some undefined point.

But if you ask me, they can't shoot enough of us to give up on this country. The protests this year will be miniscule compared to what's coming if he blatantly steals the election.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject:

I won't copy and paste every tweet in this thread, but I think it's right on: https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1308929151789924354
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject:

==

Vote your a$$ off!

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I love Wilt too. I just think he has a very pollyanna attitude when it comes to what is happening and what it may result in.

I just have a hard time believing that this master plan will work.

So here's their master plan:

- Trump loses the election, both the popular vote and the EC
- The plan is unleashed. Trump then sues all the way to the Supreme Court, they give him the election, even though the entire world is aware of the fact that Biden is the legitimate winner of the election.
- Our side gets really angry, goes out to protest, they shoot enough of us. Thousands? Millions? I don't know, but there's a point at which we will say, "Enough of this! It's no longer worth it!"
- Trump gets another term, maybe a third, fourth, who knows.
- We all collectively forget what has happened as part of a mass reeducation program, mass imprisonment, etc.
- That's what the "plan" would lead to.

What other scenario is there for Trump to cling to power after stealing the election?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Define "a few" . . .

I don't know. You should ask 24 that question.

I'm asking you that question since you just dismissed it as a "few" while professing that it will all be fine . . . just "because" . . .

Quote:
It assumes that shooting protestors will have the desired outcome for the GOP, meaning that the rest of us will submit to them at some undefined point.

It doesn't assume any of that. It points out that there are ramifications to assuming that reason is going to prevail. History has proven that's not the case.

Quote:
But if you ask me, they can't shoot enough of us to give up on this country. The protests this year will be miniscule compared to what's coming if he blatantly steals the election.

Why do you keep circling back this notion that anyone who disagrees with you is "giving up on this country"? I have not seen one post that even hints at that. In fact, even those that disagree with your take are in agreement that a fight is necessary.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Why do you keep circling back this notion that anyone who disagrees with you is "giving up on this country"? I have not seen one post that even hints at that. In fact, even those that disagree with your take are in agreement that a fight is necessary.

Huh? I'm not saying that at all. We both agree that some kind of fight, whether through peaceful protests or worse, will be necessary if Trump's plan is unleashed. I'm assuming that we will ultimately prevail and that they won't force us to submit to them because stealing an election is too big of a crime for the majority of the country to accept.

I'm not accusing anyone here of willing to give up on their country.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Teri Kanefield
@Teri_Kanefield
·
6h
Also, from Harvard-educated lawyer
@NastyOldWomyn
:

In PA, the GOP controlled legislature can’t appoint its own electors without amending the PA electoral code, which Dem Gov Wolf would veto, & the GOP lacks sufficient votes to overcome his veto. Same in MI & WI.

Facts matter.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Why would they bother shooting protesters? That would be stupid. They'd just let them protest and Trump would go on with life as usual. Unless the military turned on him, no one could do anything about it.

It's truly a sad state of affairs that this country so many people have worked and fought and died for is on the brink of falling to an imbecilic tabloid celebrity, but here we are.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

- The plan is unleashed. Trump then sues all the way to the Supreme Court, they give him the election, even though the entire world is aware of the fact that Biden is the legitimate winner of the election.
- Our side gets really angry, goes out to protest, they shoot enough of us. Thousands? Millions? I don't know, but there's a point at which we will say, "Enough of this! It's no longer worth it!"
- We all collectively forget what has happened as part of a mass reeducation program, mass imprisonment, etc.

What other scenario is there for Trump to cling to power after stealing the election?

I’ll bet there’s a very long list of stuff they’ve already done and said, and gotten away with, that a few years ago you would have had a similar reaction to. They may not be able to pull it off, but the idea that it’s a ludicrous scenario is a bit naive imo, given where they’ve already gone and what they’ve already set in motion.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Teri Kanefield
@Teri_Kanefield
·
6h
@NastyOldWomyn
:

In PA, the GOP controlled legislature can’t appoint its own electors without amending the PA electoral code, which Dem Gov Wolf would veto, & the GOP lacks sufficient votes to overcome his veto. Same in MI & WI.

Facts matter.

Here's a link to the longer thread this came from:

https://twitter.com/Teri_Kanefield/status/1308923771470966785

She makes the case that Trump's advisor basically fed this "plan to get states to appoint Trump electors" with the Atlantic journalist in an attempt to divert from his bad polls and to look stronger, get everyone talking about this and how Trump will be able to do it, depress the vote, etc. Interesting read.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Teri Kanefield
@Teri_Kanefield
·
6h
@NastyOldWomyn
:

Facts matter.

She makes the case that Trump's advisor basically fed this "plan to get states to appoint Trump electors" with the Atlantic journalist in an attempt to divert from his bad polls and to look stronger, get everyone talking about this and how Trump will be able to do it, depress the vote, etc. Interesting read.

Thanks for the thread. Interesting. You can already see this playing out a bit online. Reading threads on Reddit about this Atlantic article and Trumps refusal to commit to a transition of power and there are quite a few comments about “why bother if he’s going to win anyway?” “What makes you think your vote matters in a coup” etc. Of course some of these may be trolls meant to get others to feel the same way, but the general tone of people getting down about the power of their vote is there.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

$

hope democracy prevail and the Trumps have to run to Russia
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject:

in case anyone was counting on Florida to assist any kind of overwhelming blue wave on election night, another reminder that this state is probably going to disappoint you. Remember in 2018 during the blue wave we elected Ron DeSantis and Rick Scott.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/24/florida-republicans-voter-registration-surge-420936

Quote:
Something’s in the water’: Florida Republicans see surge in voter registration
Democrats say they feel pressure from Joe Biden’s campaign to refrain from door-to-door canvassing, which is hindering their efforts.

Republicans have closed the traditional voter registration gap with Democrats to an historically small margin in Florida, triggering a wave of Democratic apprehension in the nation’s biggest swing state.

In the absence of such efforts, a concerted drive by President Donald Trump’s Florida campaign to register voters has helped cut the state’s long-standing Democratic advantage to fewer than 185,000 voters, a gap of just 1.3 percentage points, according to data from the Florida Division of Elections released this week.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
in case anyone was counting on Florida to assist any kind of overwhelming blue wave on election night, another reminder that this state is probably going to disappoint you. Remember in 2018 during the blue wave we elected Ron DeSantis and Rick Scott.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/24/florida-republicans-voter-registration-surge-420936

Quote:
Democrats say they feel pressure from Joe Biden’s campaign to refrain from door-to-door canvassing, which is hindering their efforts.

Republicans have closed the traditional voter registration gap with Democrats to an historically small margin in Florida, triggering a wave of Democratic apprehension in the nation’s biggest swing state.

In the absence of such efforts, a concerted drive by President Donald Trump’s Florida campaign to register voters has helped cut the state’s long-standing Democratic advantage to fewer than 185,000 voters, a gap of just 1.3 percentage points, according to data from the Florida Division of Elections released this week.

why no democratic door to door? covid?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
SweetP wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Teri Kanefield
@Teri_Kanefield
·
6h
@NastyOldWomyn
:

Facts matter.

Thanks for the thread. Interesting. You can already see this playing out a bit online. Reading threads on Reddit about this Atlantic article and Trumps refusal to commit to a transition of power and there are quite a few comments about “why bother if he’s going to win anyway?” “What makes you think your vote matters in a coup” etc. Of course some of these may be trolls meant to get others to feel the same way, but the general tone of people getting down about the power of their vote is there.

There was an explicit FBI official warning yesterday that Russia will try to create confusion about the outcome of the election by calling it rigged, unfair etc. and will try to get voters to give up and not vote and/or not have confidence in the outcome. So Trump and Russia are on the same page again - trying to suppress the Democratic vote again, just in a different way.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Quote:

why no democratic door to door? covid?

Probably has a lot to do with it. I know personally I wouldn’t answer the door if some random person knocked on it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I’ll bet there’s a very long list of stuff they’ve already done and said, and gotten away with, that a few years ago you would have had a similar reaction to. They may not be able to pull it off, but the idea that it’s a ludicrous scenario is a bit naive imo, given where they’ve already gone and what they’ve already set in motion.

Trump has literally spent his entire life escaping consequences for his actions. He knows how to game the system, use lawsuits, lies, propaganda and how to exploit legal loopholes and time pressures on the legal system. He has paid off politicians, attorney generals and prosecutors to look the other way for decades. In a way, this is the one thing he is actually good at -- using the system against itself in his favor so that he always escapes without significant consequences. It's all a series of transactions for him. Up until the time he appointed Bill Barr he may not have had the ability to pull off the ultimate heist, but with Barr strategizing the law piece, Trump intends to rob America of it's Democracy. Full stop. That's the end game. Just like he and Putin want.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject:

Trump Loudly Booed and Greeted With ‘Vote Him Out’ Chants on Visit to Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Casket

Quote:
President Donald Trump was loudly jeered and subjected to chants of “Honor her wish!” and “Vote him out!” during his Thursday morning visit to pay respects to Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s casket at the Supreme Court. The crowd was clearly incensed by Trump’s determination to overlook the late justice’s dying wish to not be replaced before Election Day. The president stood silently beside the casket with first lady Melania Trump as the crowd voiced their disapproval. Unusually, he was wearing a face mask—a safety measure he’s repeatedly ridiculed throughout the pandemic.

Video at above link.

More video where he can't take it anymore and just leaves
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yes, they've gotten away with lots of stuff that's unprecedented. It's the most corrupt, lawless, incompetent administration ever. We've seen corruption, we've seen lawlessness, and we've seen incompetence in many administrations. He just took it to another level. As bad as those things are, they don't come anywhere close to blatantly stealing an election, crushing all political opposition, killing untold numbers of their own citizens to keep themselves in power, and ultimately establishing an authoritarian dictatorship, all within a few weeks of that stolen election. We know from polling around the time of the impeachment that a clear majority of the population considers him a dishonest criminal. There's a reason why his approval numbers were terrible even when the economy was perceived as good by most Americans. While the impeachment ultimately failed, those same people believe that an election will do what the impeachment couldn't do. So if he blatantly hijacks the process and unlawfully installs himself as dictator, it will be the biggest crime in this nation's history. What you're arguing is that he will then kill enough Americans for the majority of the population to ultimately accept the outcome and for the rest of the world to accept the outcome. I guess there's a greater than zero chance of that happening, but there's nothing about our history, political culture, and society that indicates that this is the most likely outcome within a three month period between November and January. As I said earlier, some degree of fear mongering is probably good for our side as it motivates our people to be politically engaged, but your assumptions are just the wildest imaginable. You're also assuming that they're acting from a position from power as opposed to a position of weakness. You can have 100 William Barrs, but that's not gonna be enough to overcome 70+ million people that will vote to oust him from power, and the tens of millions that will march to the White House if he disregards the results of the election.

The far more likelier outcome is that Biden wins the election decisively, Trump whines for a few weeks, a certain number of powerful Republicans see a loser and abandon him, the Supreme Court decides not to intervene in order to prevent a monumental backlash and protests this country has never seen before, and we go on as a country after rough and tumultuous period.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2458, 2459, 2460 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2459 of 3673
Jump to: