THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2438, 2439, 2440 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
At some point I gave up arguing with people like that. My best friend used to be an uber Bernie Bro and it kinda affected our relationship. But he has seen the light and sees the value of pragmatism.

My Trump-worshiping neighbors have largely stopped communicating with me, and it's okay. I don't have to have them in my life.

Fortunately, we don't have to convince either extreme to win the election.

They stopped communicating with you? What was the nature of your communication before?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Wilt wrote:
At some point I gave up arguing with people like that. My best friend used to be an uber Bernie Bro and it kinda affected our relationship. But he has seen the light and sees the value of pragmatism.

My Trump-worshiping neighbors have largely stopped communicating with me, and it's okay. I don't have to have them in my life.

They stopped communicating with you? What was the nature of your communication before?

I've written about it before. I live in a very red area, so my family is probably the only Democratic household in the neighborhood. Before Trump came to the scene, we got along just fine. We regularly invited them to parties or would have small talk in front of the house. We weren't close friends, but it was your normal neighborhood dynamic. Then Trump came and they began distancing themselves from us. It's come to the point where we no longer greet each other. I've tried my best to be nice, but they've changed. They have Trump signs, Trump flags, Trump bumper stickers. They're strong Trumpers. As I said earlier, I don't have to have them in my life. I just hope they stay rational if Trump loses.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
How would you respond to this? I decided to engage one of my family members who posts nothing but memes and disinformation. His alignment is former conservative turned Bernie Bro

Quote:
my apparent pro-trumpness is a side effect of an expression of the extreme hate I have for the left because of the presidential nominee and how bad the roads are in my part of California, plus all the homeless drug addicts who are neglected. I'm tired of a party that talks but never walks.

I'd start by reminding him that elections take place every year and the ones that do are more likely to affect him on a local level. Worst case, they could always run for an office.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Apparently Trump had a press conference earlier today. Lawrence showed a clip of Trump saying that he watched every single Fox News primetime show last night and then watched their morning show this morning, which is 8 hours overall of TV watching. In other words, the hardest working president ever, as they keep telling us.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject:

Joe and Jill Biden are at ground zero in NYC with Governor Cuomo honoring victims of 9/11.

Trump posted an old photo of himself and Melania with their hands over their hearts and some generic empty words about never forgetting the 3000 Americans senselessly killed.

No word about the 200,000 senselessly killed due to his malevolence.

But he did have time to thank JP Morgan for "ordering" their employees back to the office on Sept. 21 rather than allow them to continue to work from home.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject:

Trump compares himself and his Covid lies to Churchill?!?

Can you imagine Prime Minister Trump at Dunkirk?

Churchill called on private vessel owners to rescue the British Expeditionary Force who were routed by Germany's army. Trump would have stranded them there, as in his eyes they were losers and suckers. And besides, in Trump's eyes the government shouldn't ask citizens to make sacrifices for the greater good, especially since that would impinge on individual freedom, much like wearing a face mask.

Even in the face of disaster, Churchill never downplayed the need to sacrifice, and never discounted the threat:

Churchill: “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.”

Trump: “It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

Churchill: "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing-grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender!”

Trump: “It’s going to disappear. One day – it’s like a miracle – it will disappear.”

Churchill: "”Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Trump: “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.”
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Let's just hope that he does this in the debates.

Biden's reply: I've studied Winston Churchill. Winston Churchill was a great leader. He was an honorable man you can trust. (Do I really need to say the punch line?)
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Biden's reply: I've studied Winston Churchill. Winston Churchill was a great leader. He was an honorable man you can trust. (Do I really need to say the punch line?)

If he does that, let's hope he doesn't say "Winston Churchill was a friend of mine."
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ribeye wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

If he does that, let's hope he doesn't say "Winston Churchill was a friend of mine."

Oh do you know Biden.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
C M B wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I've written about it before. I live in a very red area, so my family is probably the only Democratic household in the neighborhood. Before Trump came to the scene, we got along just fine. We regularly invited them to parties or would have small talk in front of the house. We weren't close friends, but it was your normal neighborhood dynamic. Then Trump came and they began distancing themselves from us. It's come to the point where we no longer greet each other. I've tried my best to be nice, but they've changed. They have Trump signs, Trump flags, Trump bumper stickers. They're strong Trumpers. As I said earlier, I don't have to have them in my life. I just hope they stay rational if Trump loses.

You're lucky they stopped. Imagine if they wanted to act like many Trumpers and p0wn the cuck they used to talk to?
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject:

At the latest Trump hate rally in Michigan they played “Fortunate Son” as Trump got off the plane. The meaning of the song totally lost on everyone in attendance as a pampered, silver-spoon, draft dodger walked down the steps towards them.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

I'm as shocked as you are:

Trump administration accused of siphoning money away from 9/11 fund

Payments stopped without explanation leaving care of New York firefighters with 9/11-related illnesses in jeopardy

Oliver O'Connell
New York
1 hour ago

The Trump administration has been accused of siphoning almost $4m from a program that treats New York firefighters and medics suffering from 9/11 related illnesses.

The Treasury Department stopped payments almost four years ago to the FDNY World Trade Centre Health Program, according to reporting by The Daily News, with no reason given.

Payments to the program were authorised by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, but the Treasury began to keep some of the money.

Dr David Prezant, the program’s director and FDNY’s chief medical officer, told the publication that there has been no official explanation as to why the payments were stopped and no notification that it was going to happen.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
At the latest Trump hate rally in Michigan they played “Fortunate Son” as Trump got off the plane. The meaning of the song totally lost on everyone in attendance as a pampered, silver-spoon, draft dodger walked down the steps towards them.

Lyrics Fortunate Son; Creedence Clearwater Revival

Quote:
Some folks are born, made to wave the flag
Ooh, their red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the Chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord
It ain't me
It ain't me
I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me
It ain't me
I ain't no fortunate one, no
Some folks are born, silver spoon in hand
Lord, don't they help themselves, y'all
But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yeah
It ain't me
It ain't me
I ain't no millionaire's son, no, no
It ain't me
It ain't me
Yeah, yeah
Some folks inherit star spangled eyes
Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord
And when you ask 'em, "How much should we give?"
Ooh, they only answer "More! More! More!", Y'all
It ain't me
It ain't me
I ain't no military son, son
It ain't me
It ain't me
I ain't no fortunate one, one
It ain't me
It ain't me
I ain't no fortunate one, no, no, no
It ain't me
It ain't me
I ain't no fortunate son, no, no, no

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: John Cameron Fogerty
Fortunate Son lyrics © The Bicycle Music Company

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I'm as shocked as you are:

Trump administration accused of siphoning money away from 9/11 fund

Payments stopped without explanation leaving care of New York firefighters with 9/11-related illnesses in jeopardy

Oliver O'Connell
New York
1 hour ago

The Trump administration has been accused of siphoning almost $4m from a program that treats New York firefighters and medics suffering from 9/11 related illnesses.

The Treasury Department stopped payments almost four years ago to the FDNY World Trade Centre Health Program, according to reporting by The Daily News, with no reason given.

Payments to the program were authorised by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, but the Treasury began to keep some of the money.

Dr David Prezant, the program’s director and FDNY’s chief medical officer, told the publication that there has been no official explanation as to why the payments were stopped and no notification that it was going to happen.

I'm sure Trump thought they were losers and suckers for risking their lives and health. This is the logical extension of that type of thinking. And as with all things Trumpian, cruelty is a feature not a bug.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

How Conspiracy Theories Are Shaping the 2020 Election—and Shaking the Foundation of American Democracy
Quote:
On a cigarette break outside their small business in Ozaukee County, Tina Arthur and Marcella Frank told me they plan to vote for Trump again because they are deeply alarmed by “the cabal.” They’ve heard “numerous reports” that the COVID-19 tents set up in New York and California were actually for children who had been rescued from underground sex-trafficking tunnels.

Arthur and Frank explained they’re not followers of QAnon. Frank says she spends most of her free time researching child sex trafficking, while Arthur adds that she often finds this information on the Russian-owned search engine Yandex. Frank’s eyes fill with tears as she describes what she’s found: children who are being raped and tortured so that “the cabal” can “extract their blood and drink it.” She says Trump has seized the blood on the black market as part of his fight against the cabal. “I think if Biden wins, the world is over, basically,” adds Arthur. “I would honestly try to leave the country. And if that wasn’t an option, I would probably take my children and sit in the garage and turn my car on and it would be over.”

Link: Time
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Quote:
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
Yeah, yeah
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me

Either they know the meaning and were trolling the morons that attend his rallies or they are idiots who only hear the first three lines and think it’s some kind of patriotic song about the president.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject:

Conspiracy theory believers probably have IQ's and ages that are within single digits of each other.

trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

Appeals court enforced the disenfranchisement of thousands of Florida felons who served their time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/florida-felon-voting/2020/09/11/9a6b5d3a-f45e-11ea-bc45-e5d48ab44b9f_story.html?tidr=a_breakingnews

Meanwhile Florida has absolutely no system in place for these people to find out what they owe and pay it. They shouldn’t have to pay anything to get their right to vote back, but even if you agree with this ruling shouldn’t there be a way for them to actually know what they owe and pay it back? Don’t answer that republicans, I already know your answer. “Working as designed”
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

The American public has been conditioned into believing crazy conspiracy theories. Some of that conditioning emanates from being fed a steady stream of television shows and movies. While we've had some bad conduct by the government in the past, we have nothing to suggest a massive shadow government ("Deep State") or something sinister or lurid like having a pizza parlor front for leftist child sex-traffickers. It takes a special kind of stupid to believe any of that, but then we're talking about Trump voters.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Appeals court enforced the disenfranchisement of thousands of Florida felons who served their time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/florida-felon-voting/2020/09/11/9a6b5d3a-f45e-11ea-bc45-e5d48ab44b9f_story.html?tidr=a_breakingnews

Meanwhile Florida has absolutely no system in place for these people to find out what they owe and pay it. They shouldn’t have to pay anything to get their right to vote back, but even if you agree with this ruling shouldn’t there be a way for them to actually know what they owe and pay it back? Don’t answer that republicans, I already know your answer. “Working as designed”

What a terrible precedent and the language in the majority decision is condescending and ugly.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
trmiv wrote:

What a terrible precedent and the language in the majority decision is condescending and ugly.

What really pisses me off is we passed this Amendment overwhelmingly in 2018. It passed 64.55% to 35.45%, a much greater margin than the idiot DeSantis won by. It was a broadly popular amendment across the political spectrum here. Then the republicans in the legislature decided that it could ruin republicans election chances and said “(bleep) what the people wanted” and passed a law requiring they pay the fines.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The American public has been conditioned into believing crazy conspiracy theories. Some of that conditioning emanates from being fed a steady stream of television shows and movies. While we've had some bad conduct by the government in the past, we have nothing to suggest a massive shadow government ("Deep State") or something sinister or lurid like having a pizza parlor front for leftist child sex-traffickers. It takes a special kind of stupid to believe any of that, but then we're talking about Trump voters.

This is satanic panic recycled over and over again. These narcissistic schmucks get to think themselves brave truth-tellers who are "protecting children" as a veneer to make false accusations against their perceived enemies. They get to be heroes in their own minds while being vile, moronic scum toward people different - and often better - than them.

Don't like a kid with dyed black hair and eye liner who listens to Pantera? He's a baby killing satanist!

Get "uncomfortable" at the sight of black protestors? They must be funded by a Jewish bogeyman to protect the deep state, which is trying to uncover the baby killing cabal run by Obama.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
trmiv wrote:

What really pisses me off is we passed this Amendment overwhelmingly in 2018. It passed 64.55% to 35.45%, a much greater margin than the idiot DeSantis won by. It was a broadly popular amendment across the political spectrum here. Then the republicans in the legislature decided that it could ruin republicans election chances and said “(bleep) what the people wanted” and passed a law requiring they pay the fines.

I followed that vote closely and was excited to see how decisively it passed. It's a pattern: we've seen GOP governors block, (bleep), or gut popular referendums on ACA expansion, limiting right to work laws, and now voter enfranchisement initiatives.

I guess people who vote for more liberal legislation while also voting a GOP ticket either don't understand what Republican leadership will do or they don't care. It's odd cognitive dissonance to me.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Yougov poll:

Biden 49
Trump 39

Biden led by 6 in the same poll immediately after the Republican convention.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
jodeke wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Quote:
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
Yeah, yeah
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me
It ain't me

Either they know the meaning and were trolling the morons that attend his rallies or they are idiots who only hear the first three lines and think it’s some kind of patriotic song about the president.

They've also used Keep On Rocking In The Free World. Born in the USA has been a rally staple for decades.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2438, 2439, 2440 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2439 of 3673
Jump to: