THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2382, 2383, 2384 ... 3681, 3682, 3683  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
tlim wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Start planning to vote in person if you live in a swing state.

And don't worry about the gun toting neanderthals "standing guard" the polls. They are all bark and no bight.

But a whole lot of blight for sure.

Damn typos!

Did you bight off more than you could slough?

I didn't a fjord myself enough time to read before I hit submit.

That’s not sound practice.

Either way, the USPS is going to be swamped.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
paymonM wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/postal-workers-sounding-alarm-mail-203218629.html

Sorting machines are being removed from postal facilities

As Rachel pointed out, they are not only removing them, they are dismantling them too.

And they have been seen removing mail boxes too - pictures from Portland and New York.

They are doing the heist in plain sight.

I have revised my plan -- I will either drop off absentee ballot, or early vote in person or vote on election day. My polling place is only a block from my house at a fire station with plenty of room for social distancing.

I think everyone who can take pressure off the postal system by finding alternatives should plan for that now.

John Fugelsang has a post that I can't link so I'll just type it out:

Trump and his Postmaster General flunky remind you that the USPS just can't handle the extra workload of 150 million mail-in ballots.

But 2 billion Christmas cards, one month later, shouldn't be a problem.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Here's a picture taken by a NYT reporter of NY mail boxes being carted off:

https://twitter.com/Azi/status/1294254418569953280

Trumpsters will say that picture is photoshopped.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
tlim wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

And don't worry about the gun toting neanderthals "standing guard" the polls. They are all bark and no bight.

Damn typos!

No sweat I do it all the time. Most poster know what you mean. Then there are the ... .....who love to pick

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:59 am; edited 3 times in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

Trumpsters think we're being paranoid but they love QAnon which believes there is a worldwide child sex ring run by Democratic politicians like Hillary and Obama and Hollywood movie stars like Tom Hanks who also eat babies and that Trump and Barr are working behind the scenes to bring them down and arrest them all any day now.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

NBC - Obama: Trump trying to 'actively kneecap' Postal Service to affect 2020 election

Quote:
Former President Barack Obama, in an interview released Friday, slammed President Donald Trump for trying to “actively kneecap the Postal Service” to affect mail-in voting in the 2020 election and urged lawmakers and citizens to take actions to “protect the integrity” of the election.

Obama, speaking on the podcast of his former campaign manager David Plouffe, was responding to recent comments by Trump, who said earlier this week that holding up emergency funds for the U.S. Postal Service would ensure that the post office would be unable to “take all of these millions and millions of ballots.”

Obama, responding to those remarks, accused Republicans of having tried for years "to discourage people’s votes from counting in all kinds of ways,” like voter identification laws and gerrymandering, but said Trump’s threats were “unique to modern history.”

Quote:
“What we've never seen before is a president say, ‘I'm going to try to actively kneecap the Postal Service to encourage voting, and I will be explicit about the reason I'm doing it.’ That's sort of unheard of, right?” Obama said. “And we also have not had an election in the midst of a pandemic that is still deadly and killing a lot of people.”

“So in that circumstance, the thing I'm most worried about is … how do we protect the integrity of the election process? How do we make sure that people's votes are counted? How do we police and monitor how state officials are setting up polling places and ensuring that every vote is counted?” he continued.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

Tuned into Trump answering questions and blaming Dems for everything. Only lasted 60 seconds and then I noped out of there.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Trumpsters think we're being paranoid but they love QAnon which believes there is a worldwide child sex ring run by Democratic politicians like Hillary and Obama and Hollywood movie stars like Tom Hanks who also eat babies and that Trump and Barr are working behind the scenes to bring them down and arrest them all any day now.

Trumpsters, how is it paranoid, or unwarranted paranoia, when:

USPS says Pennsylvania mail ballots may not be delivered on time, and state warns of ‘overwhelming’ risk to voters
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

The PO is causing the backlog. If done correctly it would do like they use to on Christmas and other heavy mail holidays, hire temporary workers.

I know the registrar of voters use to hire temps during elections. I don't know if they're still doing it.

Trump is doing all he can to limit the number of people that vote. A heavy turnout will be his downfall.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
C M B wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Everyone knows Trump is going to cheat. It's up to Dems to counter his cheating. If they don't Democracy is in big trouble.

Conspiracy theory, paranoia much?

Which part of that sounds theoretical to you?

Explain.

To add (to Legend007) (not around here are you) Why don't you read the Introduction in Cohen's book, you know the guy who was Trump's fixer for something like a decade.

Since I know you won't read that introduction, as it is not on Fox, OAN or Breitbart, here is a single paragraph:

“I stiffed contractors on his behalf, ripped off his business partners, lied to his wife Melania to hide his sexual infidelities, and bullied and screamed at anyone who threatened Trump’s path to power. From golden showers in a sex club in Vegas, to tax fraud, to deals with corrupt officials from the former Soviet Union, to catch and kill conspiracies to silence Trump’s clandestine lovers, I wasn’t just a witness to the president’s rise — I was an active and eager participant.”
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
tlim wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Damn typos!

No sweat I do it all the time. Most poster know what you mean. Then there are the ... .....who love to pick

Old man river over here...
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject:

Hey, so the time tested, extremely popular institution, written into the constitution, the United States Postal Service, is being starved and sabotaged,

But on the bright side, the newly renovated White House Rose Garden to be unveiled next week.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

U.S. Postal Service Confirms It Has Removed Mailboxes in Portland and Eugene

Quote:
A spokesman for the United States Postal Service confirmed that the agency has removed four blue boxes from Portland, and 27 from Eugene this week. The USPS plans to remove a few more boxes from Portland next week.

How much do you want to bet this is payback for Portland protests?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ribeye wrote:
C M B wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Everyone knows Trump is going to cheat. It's up to Dems to counter his cheating. If they don't Democracy is in big trouble.

Conspiracy theory, paranoia much?

Which part of that sounds theoretical to you?

Explain.

To add (to Legend007) (not around here are you) Why don't you read the Introduction in Cohen's book, you know the guy who was Trump's fixer for something like a decade.

Since I know you won't read that introduction, as it is not on Fox, OAN or Breitbart, here is a single paragraph:

“I stiffed contractors on his behalf, ripped off his business partners, lied to his wife Melania to hide his sexual infidelities, and bullied and screamed at anyone who threatened Trump’s path to power. From golden showers in a sex club in Vegas, to tax fraud, to deals with corrupt officials from the former Soviet Union, to catch and kill conspiracies to silence Trump’s clandestine lovers, I wasn’t just a witness to the president’s rise — I was an active and eager participant.”

You cannot use logic to refute arguments that were formulated without it in the first place. Posts like the above just demonstrate that the glee of rubbing it in the face of the other trumps any rational view of anything. He can come out and tell them in plain language he's trying to rig the post office, and they will cheer him for doing that, and then when a liberal complains about it, they will act as if it's crazy to believe the thing he just said, is doing in plain sight, and that they were just gloating about.

And here's where it gets weird: they will believe both things are true.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

Trump is stupid and weak, but his voters are worse. However, Trump is great at lying and manipulating, in much the same way Satan is thought to work.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
tlim wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Damn typos!

There he is right on Que that ... ....

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

And here we go, another brutal ad, this time: After five deferments and fake bone spurred excuses, Trump finally goes to war:

VoteVets - War on USPS
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
tlim wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Damn typos!

****(cue)****
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
tlim wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Damn typos!

****(cue)****

Thank you Ms Chanault.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject:

Pelosi, Schumer Statement on President’s Assault on the Postal Service and Elections

Quote:
Pelosi, Schumer Statement on President’s Assault on the Postal Service and Elections

AUGUST 14, 2020 PRESS RELEASE

Washington, D.C. – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) today issued the following joint statement on President Trump’s latest attacks on vote-by-mail and on the Postmaster General’s policies that have led to a dramatic increase in delayed and undelivered mail:

“The United States Postal Service is a pillar of our American Democracy and is enshrined in the Constitution, which empowers Congress to ‘establish Post Offices and Post Roads.’ The Postal Service provides services that are critical to the lives and livelihoods of the American people: ensuring that seniors receive their medicines, workers receive paychecks, taxpayers receive refunds and voters receive absentee ballots. Postmaster General DeJoy must quickly reverse his operational changes that have led to delays and service reductions for too many Americans and threaten to undermine our democracy.

“Yet, the President, his cronies and Republicans in Congress continue to wage their all-out assault on the Postal Service and its role in ensuring the integrity of the 2020 election. Yesterday, the President threatened to further starve the Postal Service of the funds that it needs to deliver the absentee ballots necessary to ensure that people do not have to choose between their health and their vote this fall – threats that he doubled down on last night.

“The President’s comments today affirm that no patriotic tradition is immune from his abuse of power. The President made plain that he will manipulate the operations of the Post Office to deny eligible voters the ballot in pursuit of his own re-election. The President’s own words confirm: he needs to cheat to win.

“At the same time, the Postmaster General – a major Trump donor – continues to push forward policies that accelerate the crisis at the Postal Service, delaying mail and jeopardizing the integrity of the elections. As the former Deputy Postmaster General stated Thursday, the Postmaster General’s changes threaten to silence the voices of millions, as they are implemented in the middle of a pandemic, just months before an election: ‘If you can’t right the ship, if you can’t correct these fast enough, the consequence is… that you disenfranchise people.’ USPS must quickly reverse course and restore full service for all Americans.

“House and Senate Democrats call on the President to immediately cease his assault on the Postal Service, make clear that he will allow the 2020 election to proceed without his sabotage tactics and enable the American people the same opportunity he and the First Lady requested this week to vote by absentee ballot.”

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject:

More "liberal paranoia:"

Washington Post: Postal Service warns 46 states their voters could be disenfranchised by delayed mail-in ballots

Quote:
Anticipating an avalanche of absentee ballots, the U.S. Postal Service recently sent detailed letters to 46 states and D.C. warning that it cannot guarantee all ballots cast by mail for the November election will arrive in time to be counted — adding another layer of uncertainty ahead of the high-stakes presidential contest.

The letters sketch a grim possibility for the tens of millions of Americans eligible for a mail-in ballot this fall: Even if people follow all of their state’s election rules, the pace of Postal Service delivery may disqualify their votes.

The Postal Service’s warnings of potential disenfranchisement came as the agency undergoes a sweeping organizational and policy overhaul amid dire financial conditions. Cost-cutting moves have already delayed mail delivery by as much as a week in some places, and a new decision to decommission 10 percent of the Postal Service’s sorting machines sparked widespread concern the slowdowns will only worsen. Rank-and-file postal workers say the move is ill-timed and could sharply diminish the speedy processing of flat mail, including letters and ballots.

The ballot warnings, issued at the end of July from Thomas J. Marshall, general counsel and executive vice president of the Postal Service, and obtained through a records request by The Washington Post, were planned before the appointment of Louis DeJoy, a former logistics executive and ally of President Trump, as postmaster general in early summer. They go beyond the traditional coordination between the Postal Service and election officials, drafted as fears surrounding the coronavirus pandemic triggered an unprecedented and sudden shift to mail-in voting.

Shocker - most of the Swing States are on the warning list.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
More "liberal paranoia:"

Washington Post: Postal Service warns 46 states their voters could be disenfranchised by delayed mail-in ballots

Quote:
Anticipating an avalanche of absentee ballots, the U.S. Postal Service recently sent detailed letters to 46 states and D.C. warning that it cannot guarantee all ballots cast by mail for the November election will arrive in time to be counted — adding another layer of uncertainty ahead of the high-stakes presidential contest.

The letters sketch a grim possibility for the tens of millions of Americans eligible for a mail-in ballot this fall: Even if people follow all of their state’s election rules, the pace of Postal Service delivery may disqualify their votes.

The Postal Service’s warnings of potential disenfranchisement came as the agency undergoes a sweeping organizational and policy overhaul amid dire financial conditions. Cost-cutting moves have already delayed mail delivery by as much as a week in some places, and a new decision to decommission 10 percent of the Postal Service’s sorting machines sparked widespread concern the slowdowns will only worsen. Rank-and-file postal workers say the move is ill-timed and could sharply diminish the speedy processing of flat mail, including letters and ballots.

The ballot warnings, issued at the end of July from Thomas J. Marshall, general counsel and executive vice president of the Postal Service, and obtained through a records request by The Washington Post, were planned before the appointment of Louis DeJoy, a former logistics executive and ally of President Trump, as postmaster general in early summer. They go beyond the traditional coordination between the Postal Service and election officials, drafted as fears surrounding the coronavirus pandemic triggered an unprecedented and sudden shift to mail-in voting.

Shocker - most of the Swing States are on the warning list.

I can't believe we are talking about the US in 2020 and not some banana republic, but then I look at our history...
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I remember right after the election several of us starting ringing the alarms bells that our democracy was in peril and many told us we were overreacting.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Former Obama official's advice for Democrats about USPS:

Quote:
David Plouffe @davidplouffe
·
1) Prime time hearings, now.
2) Subpoenas to Trump WH and camp officials. This is a RICO case
3) Visit local post offices with cameras - show people what is happening.
4) Events with those getting Rx late
5) Involve governors
5) No rest, no vacation. Go to war for our country.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I remember right after the election several of us starting ringing the alarms bells that our democracy was in peril and many told us we were overreacting.

I remember arguing with someone (we haven't seen around here for a long time) about Trump's racism. They argued he wasn't racist or shown himself to be so. I argued otherwise.
That conversation is laughable in retrospect.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2382, 2383, 2384 ... 3681, 3682, 3683  Next
Page 2383 of 3683
Jump to: