THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2375, 2376, 2377 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I wanted Harris as President this year but I'm fine with waiting.

What I like about that is she won't have to wait 8 years. Biden won't do 2.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Lincoln Project already has a Kamala ad:

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:

If that happens, she won't be eligible to run for two terms.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:

???
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:

Why? If Biden wins i 2020 and doesn't run in 24 she can. If she wins why can't she run again in 2028?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject:

22nd amendment.

You can't run for two full terms if you've served for more than two years already.

So if Biden resigns or dies less than two years into his term, she'd finish his term, and would only be eligible to be elected for one full term. But if he resigns or dies with less than two years left in his term, she would be eligible to run for two full terms.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
22nd amendment.

You can't run for two full terms if you've served for more than two years already.

So if Biden resigns or dies less than two years into his term, she'd finish his term, and would only be eligible to be elected for one full term. But if he resigns or dies with less than two years left in his term, she would be eligible to run for two full terms.

I believe the discussion was about Biden not running for two terms, not dropping out before two years of his first term.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I apologize. I initially understood him as saying Biden won't serve more than two years.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
22nd amendment.

That's understood. I'm not talking about him not finishing 4. I'm talking about him not wanting to do 8 and Kamala running in 2028.

EDIT: Posted before I read Wilt's misunderstanding. OK we're on the same page now. If Johnson had decided to run again and won he would have been constitutionally done.

Kamala Harris in going to have to earn her bones during the campaign. Is the country ready for a Black woman VP? How many know who she is? She's going to have to introduce herself to the country.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Kamala Harris in going to have to earn her bones during the campaign. Is the country ready for a Black woman VP? How many know who she is? She's going to have to introduce herself to the country.

She's a United States Senator.
She ran for president, she already earned her place on the ticket.
There were 20 nationally televised Democratic debates.
Kamala Harris was one of the high-profile Senate questioners during the Kavanaugh hearings and Barr hearings.

If she were a male senator would you be asking these same questions?

I know you don't mean to be denigrating to her but the subtext of these kinds of questions shows how gender bias is so pervasive.

I'm trying to bring us all up to speed on what gender bias looks like (even by well-meaning people who don't intend it that way) so we don't have a replay of 2016 gender bias.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Kamala Harris was one of the high-profile Senate questioners during the Kavanaugh hearings and Barr hearings.

I know you don't mean to be denigrating to her but the subtext of these kinds of questions shows how gender bias is so pervasive.

I'm trying to bring us all up to speed on what gender bias looks like (even by well-meaning people who don't intend it that way) so we don't have a replay of 2016 gender bias.

YES Why is it any time someone has an opinion about a women candidate you put on your suffragette hat?

The people she has to be introduced to are people who don't follow politics. Not everyone watched the debates. Many don't follow politics or the Kavanaugh hearings. The opinion I inked was a discussion on MSNBC. There were men in the running who'd have to do the same thing, earn their bones.

You're very sensitive in the gender bias area. Sometimes to sensitive.

Lub Ya CL but lighten up.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm fired up. Ready to vote right now. I was going to vote for Kamala in the primary before she dropped out so I voted for Biden instead. Now I get to vote for both of them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

If Biden wins the presidency I think a important selection will be AG. I wanted Kamala in that post. I'm on the Schiff bus now.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Rachel just opened her show talking about something I had forgotten about, about how Kamala Harris saved California billions of dollars (and the rest of the country as well) when walking away from a settlement when most of the states were agreeable, and then playing tough with negotiations to earn five times more than originally offered for a housing settlement from the big banks. It was a brilliant reminder of how well she did/does her job, and it was brilliantly done by Rachel.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Senators and those going before some Senate committees are going to be so happy to not have her calling them on their BS.

Then newsom appoints Katie Porter to replace her.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Exactly. She's been prominently on the national stage for since before that LAST election cycle.

No one would say that Beto O'Rourke or Cory Booker need to "introduce themselves" to the country or "earn their bones".

This is demonstrative of the misogyny that derailed Hilary's chances in 2016. I would have hoped we would have learned from that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Senators and those going before some Senate committees are going to be so happy to not have her calling them on their BS.

Then newsom appoints Katie Porter to replace her.

Kamala had Barr Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin

William Barr stumped by Kamala Harris' question

LINK

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Old white men keep telling us this country is supposed to be run by people like them: It's part of the American experience.

F#*k them and f [AT] !k that.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Harris for President in 2024!

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

YES Why is it any time someone has an opinion about a women candidate you put on your suffragette hat?

The people she has to be introduced to are people who don't follow politics. Not everyone watched the debates. Many don't follow politics or the Kavanaugh hearings. The opinion I inked was a discussion on MSNBC. There were men in the running who'd have to do the same thing, earn their bones.

You're very sensitive in the gender bias area. Sometimes to sensitive.

Lub Ya CL but lighten up.

Not cool dude.

Hot tip for you: When you get called out on obvious misogyny by a women who knows what that is all about, doubling down by then going on to mansplaining is just making you look worse.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I'm biased because I am from the state which holds her as a senator, but who, even with only a cursory familiarity with national politics, doesn't know who Kamala Harris is?

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Maybe I'm biased because I am from the state which holds her as a senator, but who, even with only a cursory familiarity with national politics, doesn't know who Kamala Harris is?

No bias on your part. She's been nationally known for a long time now. And even more so as the focus shifted to Biden being the nominee. She was always at the top of the talking points as the nation has been discussing his potential choices. To claim she is unknown around the country is completely tone deaf on a couple of levels.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

You may have a point LS. After giving more thought she is more in the eye of the country than I gave credit. My bad CL but being a woman had nothing to do with my comment. And I'm sure you don't think I'm misogynistic. DAMN Yall jumped all over my lil ass.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

No bias on your part. She's been nationally known for a long time now. And even more so as the focus shifted to Biden being the nominee. She was always at the top of the talking points as the nation has been discussing his potential choices. To claim she is unknown around the country is completely tone deaf on a couple of levels.

She's already at 80% recognition nationally before the VP nomination and about to become a household name in every American household.

Biden picking her seems to be a strong indicator that he'll be a one term president, imo. Harris is an easy presidential candidate to run in 2024.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

You may have a point LS. After giving more thought she is more in the eye of the country than I gave credit. My bad CL but being a woman had nothing to do with my comment. And I'm sure you don't think I'm misogynistic. DAMN Yall jumped all over my lil ass.

No offense my friend, but you are of an age and generation where you likely aren't aware of how that mindset has been an influence on your thoughts even without intent.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2375, 2376, 2377 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2376 of 3673
Jump to: