THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2357, 2358, 2359 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
What would happen if you were a Republican that woke up after being in a coma for 3.5 years?

If I represented the majority of them . . . I'd probably think, finally a candidate that truly represents me was elected president. Oh glory to god!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
What would happen if you were a Republican that woke up after being in a coma for 3.5 years?

VOLT IT.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

Two weeks ago, someone said that an incredible new health care plan was going to be introduced in two weeks. I eagerly await it's big reveal today at a huge rose garden press conference.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject:

Of course today he mentioned more big bills that will be coming in two weeks. I wish a reporter would say “what about the healthcare bill that you said was coming in two weeks, two weeks ago?”
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Two weeks ago, someone said that an incredible new health care plan was going to be introduced in two weeks. I eagerly await it's big reveal today at a huge rose garden press conference.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

LINK

RIP Jodeke. He died from excessive popcorn consumption.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Of course today he mentioned more big bills that will be coming in two weeks. I wish a reporter would say “what about the healthcare bill that you said was coming in two weeks, two weeks ago?”

He will be happy to give you an update, but first....

INFRASTRUCTURE WEEK!!!!!
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:

Here is my prediction. The guy who has taken over as the "interim" leader of the USPS is going to fabricate a crisis with the post office. He has already eliminated overtime hours for postal workers to get the work done they need to get done to get the packages out. I'm hearing that packages are starting to pile up in USPS locations. Soon there will be piles of undelivered packages stacking up in post offices around the country and a voila, the USPS can no longer be counted on to deliver our mail-in ballots in a timely basis.

I'm so worried about where this is headed.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Here is my prediction. The guy who has taken over as the "interim" leader of the USPS is going to fabricate a crisis with the post office. He has already eliminated overtime hours for postal workers to get the work done they need to get done to get the packages out. I'm hearing that packages are starting to pile up in USPS locations. Soon there will be piles of undelivered packages stacking up in post offices around the country and a voila, the USPS can no longer be counted on to deliver our mail-in ballots in a timely basis.

I'm so worried about where this is headed.

I have heard from my carrier about how much is backed up and know that orders that would take days in the past are taking weeks. This could (and should) explode against Trump providing that the public can figure it out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I worked for USPS for 4 years in the late 80's. From my knowledge of how the PO works I don't think getting mail will be hurt. The volume of letter mail may increase but I don't think it will affect delivery. Packages are a different animal.

I don't think vote by mail, mail in, absentee ballots will be disrupted to the point of causing a real dilemma. I'm assuming there have been improvements since the late 80's.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I worked for USPS for 4 years in the late 80's. From my knowledge of how the PO works I don't think getting mail will be hurt. The volume of letter mail may increase but I don't think it will affect delivery. Packages are a different animal.

I don't think vote by mail, mail in, absentee ballots will be disrupted to the point of causing a real dilemma. I'm assuming there have been improvements since the late 80's.

No, it's much worse than that. The guy in charge is changing internal guidelines for how mail is processed and is intentionally sabotaging and slowing down systems that previously worked. He's cutting overtime on purpose so that mail gets undelivered and piles up. They are systematically sabotaging the entire USPS system, not just packages.

Washington Post: Postal Service backlog sparks worries that ballot delivery could be delayed in November

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service is experiencing days-long backlogs of mail across the country after a top Trump donor running the agency put in place new procedures described as cost-cutting efforts, alarming postal workers who warn that the policies could undermine their ability to deliver ballots on time for the November election.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

No, it's much worse than that. The guy in charge is changing internal guidelines for how mail is processed and is intentionally sabotaging and slowing down systems that previously worked. He's cutting overtime on purpose so that mail gets undelivered and piles up. They are systematically sabotaging the entire USPS system, not just packages.

Washington Post: Postal Service backlog sparks worries that ballot delivery could be delayed in November

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service is experiencing days-long backlogs of mail across the country after a top Trump donor running the agency put in place new procedures described as cost-cutting efforts, alarming postal workers who warn that the policies could undermine their ability to deliver ballots on time for the November election.

Thanks CL. I see the sorting stations have changed. Used to be sorters were side by side. I hope there's something Democrats can do to solve the problem. I told a friend of mine who thinks Trump will lose not to be so sure. I also think he'll lose but it's going to be a battle.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject:

For everyone: If you're going to request an absentee ballot, do it early. If your city allows you to drop it off at city hall before the election, you can do that so you won't add to the postal logjam.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Republicans are planning a mass attack against Biden using information from pro-Russian agents

Quote:
. . . includes Barr, who has all but promised to provide America with a QAnon-sanctioned October surprise. It includes Republican lawmakers like Rep. Devin Nunes, who are sitting on a packet of documents prepared by a pro-Russian official from Ukraine. It includes Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who has been using the State Department to pile up a stack of unsubstantiated attacks on Joe Biden. Barr, Nunes, and Pompeo are not just sitting on this information: they’re deliberately hiding it, looking for the moment to strike when no one has a chance to see what a baseless conspiracy they’re really pushing. [Emphasis mine.]

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
For everyone: If you're going to request an absentee ballot, do it early. If your city allows you to drop it off at city hall before the election, you can do that so you won't add to the postal logjam.

What I was able to do four years ago here in the wonderful state of California, since the voting stations were also drop-off stations for mail-in voting, I walked to my voting station (the whole block and a half of it) and dropped it in.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Been voting by mail for years. How long before the election are vote by mail ballots sent?

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Republicans are planning a mass attack against Biden using information from pro-Russian agents

Quote:
. . . includes Barr, who has all but promised to provide America with a QAnon-sanctioned October surprise. It includes Republican lawmakers like Rep. Devin Nunes, who are sitting on a packet of documents prepared by a pro-Russian official from Ukraine. It includes Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who has been using the State Department to pile up a stack of unsubstantiated attacks on Joe Biden. Barr, Nunes, and Pompeo are not just sitting on this information: they’re deliberately hiding it, looking for the moment to strike when no one has a chance to see what a baseless conspiracy they’re really pushing. [Emphasis mine.]

Democratic House representatives are already bringing this up in hearings and challenging Nunes, Pompeo, etc. I think the Democrats will do everything they can to rebut the information before the "October surprise" to diminish both the element of surprise, and emphasize that this is unfounded Russian propaganda and Republicans have become Russian enablers.

I just don't think a replay of 2016 is going to work for them this time. People already wanted to believe the worst about Clinton, so they were inclined to believe the propaganda. But people are not inclined to believe that Joe Biden is shady or corrupt, so convincing them otherwise with some last minute desperate attempt is not likely to work. And let me repeat, misogyny, misogyny, misogyny. Being a white male will earn him the benefit of the doubt from other white males (Independent, swing-voters, Obama-Trump voters) that they were never going to give Hillary.

I could be wrong, but it smells of desperation and I think most Americans having lived through 4 years of lies and bull-(bleep) will have their BS detectors on high alert.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Super sad I missed the Herman Cain death thread shenanigans.

The world lost a [pizza] king. And I hope there isn't too much fighting over the crown.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

What I was able to do four years ago here in the wonderful state of California, since the voting stations were also drop-off stations for mail-in voting, I walked to my voting station (the whole block and a half of it) and dropped it in.

I would do the thing that gets your vote counted at the earliest possible date. I think they count mail-in ballots last. It differs by state. In general I believe they count early in-person ballots, drop-box ballots, election day in-person ballots, mail-in ballots.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Been voting by mail for years. How long before the election are vote by mail ballots sent?

It varies by state. In Massachusetts the last day to request a mail-in ballot is August 26th. But they don't say when the ballot gets mailed out. What we want to do is not jam the system up with everyone requesting a ballot all at the same time at the last minute. So request as soon as possible and return as soon as possible, or drop off in their drop box if possible.

You can usually check your state's secretary-of -state website. Or check https://www.vote.org/ to get started.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It varies by state. In Massachusetts the last day to request a mail-in ballot is August 26th. But they don't say when the ballot gets mailed out. What we want to do is not jam the system up with everyone requesting a ballot all at the same time at the last minute. So request as soon as possible and return as soon as possible, or drop off in their drop box if possible.

You can usually check your state's secretary-of -state website. Or check https://www.vote.org/ to get started.

I check my voter status periodically. I use https://voterstatus.sos.ca.gov/. It lets me know I'm a permanent vote-by-mail voter. I don't see a option that'll let me know when ballots are mailed. I'm going to call the registrars office to find out.

nateball
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I check my voter status periodically. I use https://voterstatus.sos.ca.gov/. It lets me know I'm a permanent vote-by-mail voter. I don't see a option that'll let me know when ballots are mailed. I'm going to call the registrars office to find out.

Thanks for the link I wasn't sure if they had my new address, also found this while I was there a site to track your ballot:
https://california.ballottrax.net/voter/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject:

nateball wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Thanks for the link I wasn't sure if they had my new address, also found this while I was there a site to track your ballot:
https://california.ballottrax.net/voter/

I'm familiar with the site. I track my ballot for every election. Did you register online? Did you regster to track your ballot? Just to be sure I logged on. It informed me NO CURRENT MAIL BALLOT STATUS. I called the Sacramento office to find when ballots are mailed. I was told mailing will be starting Oct 1.

SIDE NOTE: Thank the Supreme Being basketball has returned. LAKERS BEAT THE CLIPPERS 103 101 in a squeaker. Bron is da King.

I guess you could say this is political. Players are kneeling during the National Anthem before the game. Also some players are wearing BLACK LIVES MATTER on their jerseys instead of their name.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Washington Post: The new anti-Biden attack, same as the old anti-Biden attack

Quote:
As one senior Trump campaign official told The Post: “We’ll be back on the air shortly, even more forcefully exposing Joe Biden as a puppet of the radical left wing.”

Well, now the Trump campaign has just rolled out a new ad attacking Biden, reports ABC News’s Will Steakin.

We’ll leave it to you to decide whether this new spot exposes Biden as a puppet of the left “even more forcefully” than previous efforts did. But you will quickly see that the emphasis on that line of attack is more or less indistinguishable from what you’ve heard for weeks:

Quote:
What’s strange about this recycled attack line — associating Biden with rioters and claiming he will allow them to take over — is that polling shows it’s not just generally failing, but failing with the very voters it’s supposed to be frightening back to Trump.

As I’ve noted, polling shows that college-educated whites trust Biden over Trump to handle crime and safety by a sizable margin, one that really swells among college-educated white women. Suburbanites and even seniors favor Biden on this question.

Meanwhile, suburbanites say in far larger percentages that the country will be less safe if Trump wins than say that about Biden. And other polling shows Biden beating Trump among suburbanites by double digits.

These are the voters who are supposed to run screaming back to Trump every time an ad paints an absurd picture of some imaginary Biden police-free dystopia. So plainly something isn’t working here.

Quote:
But this is ridiculous in another way. The Trump campaign is attacking Biden for vowing to dramatically expand government health care amid a pandemic, even as Trump and the GOP are still trying to roll back health coverage for millions.

And the Trump campaign is attacking Biden for vowing to roll back Trump’s massive corporate tax cuts even as the economy is sliding into a massive, spiraling calamity that will require huge spending to stave off deepening misery for millions more.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Trump held a mini rally when Air Force One landed in Tampa today as he was on his way to weekend fundraisers. Get a load of the HUGE and maskless crowd at link below.

Quote:
Jennifer Hayden @Scout_Finch

We are all laughing.

https://twitter.com/Scout_Finch/status/1289311083505672192

(I've seen multiple photos from multiple reporters -- this was the real size of the crowd.)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2357, 2358, 2359 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 2358 of 3671
Jump to: