THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2320, 2321, 2322 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject:

It's either a publicity stunt by Kanye unrelated to Trump or it was orchestrated by Trump. Whatever it is, it's basically saying to black people, "we think you're stupid and hope you fall for it because Kanye is black." Which they won't.

Fox News will try their hardest to keep this story alive, but it won't matter in the end.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
kikanga wrote:
https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2020/07/kanye-confederacy.jpg

Black people aren't gonna vote for Kanye (to a degree of swinging states for Trump). Young black hip hop listeners aren't really a fan of his music. If you are 18 this November. College Dropout came out when you were 2. His new stuff has been laughed at.

And older black people didn't even support Barack till they knew he could beat Hillary (by winning caucuses in heavily white states). They didn't back Kamala to a significant degree either this year.

Or Booker.

Kanye's a joke. He's no threat to Biden.

Biden's support in the Black community is because of Obama. He's the reason he got the community support over Kamala, Booker and all other Black candidates. The Black community will vote en masse for Biden. JMHO.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
It's either a publicity stunt by Kanye unrelated to Trump or it was orchestrated by Trump. Whatever it is, it's basically saying to black people, "we think you're stupid and hope you fall for it because Kanye is black." Which they won't.

Fox News will try their hardest to keep this story alive, but it won't matter in the end.

The whole “I’m ditching the MAGA hat” thing was an interesting twist though. Having heard West talk about it (incoherently), I’m inclined to think that it may be brining him attention at a convenient time from his commercial endeavors, but I don’t think it’s purely a publicity thing. I think he’s lost his mind (obviously a while back) and delusionally thinks he can run a “grassroots” campaign and actually be a candidate. Not that it will get him anywhere.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
kikanga wrote:
https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2020/07/kanye-confederacy.jpg

Black people aren't gonna vote for Kanye (to a degree of swinging states for Trump). Young black hip hop listeners aren't really a fan of his music. If you are 18 this November. College Dropout came out when you were 2. His new stuff has been laughed at.

And older black people didn't even support Barack till they knew he could beat Hillary (by winning caucuses in heavily white states). They didn't back Kamala to a significant degree either this year.

Or Booker.

Kanye's a joke. He's no threat to Biden.

Biden's support in the Black community is because of Obama. He's the reason he got the community support over Kamala, Booker and all other Black candidates. The Black community will vote en masse for Biden. JMHO.

I agree with you. I think the AA vote is going to come in big time for Biden.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

The whole “I’m ditching the MAGA hat” thing was an interesting twist though. Having heard West talk about it (incoherently), I’m inclined to think that it may be brining him attention at a convenient time from his commercial endeavors, but I don’t think it’s purely a publicity thing. I think he’s lost his mind (obviously a while back) and delusionally thinks he can run a “grassroots” campaign and actually be a candidate. Not that it will get him anywhere.

The thing Trump and Kanye have in common is their megalomania and dire need of psychological help. That's probably what drew them together in the first place. It's the same reason Trump likes other autocratic leaders. They relate to other people like them.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject:

Joy Reid will take over the nightly 7 pm time slot on MSNBC. She will be the only black woman anchor in prime time. Well deserved and a huge improvement over Chris Matthews who had been forced to resign.

NYT: Joy Reid Takes Nightly Anchor Slot at MSNBC

Quote:
Joy Reid, who rose to television fame as a sharp critic of President Trump and commentator on liberal politics and race, will become the host of a new nightly show on MSNBC, the network plans to announce on Thursday, placing her among a handful of Black women to anchor an American evening news program.

Ms. Reid, 51, who has hosted the MSNBC weekend talk show “AM Joy” since 2016, will move to the 7 p.m. hour on July 20. Her show, “The ReidOut,” succeeds “Hardball” and its host, Chris Matthews, who was forced to resign in March after a series of on-air gaffes and accusations of sexist behavior in the workplace.

Ms. Reid’s promotion is a significant programming move by Cesar Conde, the new chairman of NBC’s news networks. Black women, including Gayle King of CBS and Robin Roberts of ABC, hold leading roles in morning and daytime television, but none currently host a nightly evening show on a major network. The last to do so was Gwen Ifill, who co-anchored “PBS NewsHour” until shortly before her death in 2016.

Interestingly, Shep Smith just signed a deal yesterday with CNBC to host a 7 pm nightly show on MSNBC's sister network. I have a feeling NBC was trying to decide between the two "candidates" and new management opted for diversity on the MSNBC platform. Kudos.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject:

SCOTUS rules AGAINST Trump -- his taxes must be turned over to Manhattan prosecutor!

Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

Both Trump appointees, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, voted to release Trump's financial records to the Manhattan district attorney.

But now the bad news:

SCOTUS blocks Congress from getting Trump's tax returns for now. Not settled, will be sent back to lower courts. But anyway it's too late for Congress to do anything before the election. It's more important that Trump be prosecuted for his crimes when he leaves office.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:50 am; edited 4 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject:

There is concern that closet racist may propel Trump into the office for another 4. I'm counting on minorities to counter the racist vote. I'm positive the Black community will vote for Biden. I'm confident the Mexican community will also. That's a lot of votes. Anyone good at race vote compilation?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject:

Trump must have been tipped off before the announcement because he has been melting down on twitter with tweets like, 'PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!" and "PROSECUTORIAL MISCONDUCT!"

This means that NYT article on Trump family decades long tax fraud (with records supplied by his niece) can now be pursued by NY. Barr can only impede for so long.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Neal Katyal @neal_katyal
·
Cy Vance, Manhattan DA, saying right now it's a tremendous victory for the rule of law, and the investigation will now resume. Absolutely right.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
SCOTUS rules AGAINST Trump -- his taxes must be turned over to Manhattan prosecutor!

Quote:

Both Trump appointees, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, voted to release Trump's financial records to the Manhattan district attorney.

But now the bad news:

SCOTUS blocks Congress from getting Trump's tax returns for now. Not settled. But anyway it's too late for Congress to do anything before the election. It's more important that Trump be prosecuted for his crimes when he leaves office.

Trump wins (the people lose), in that nothing will happen before the election. Trump loses in that NY will have his taxes and a prosecution may be coming.

As I understand the rulings, they appear to make a lot of sense.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

But now the bad news:

SCOTUS blocks Congress from getting Trump's tax returns for now. Not settled. But anyway it's too late for Congress to do anything before the election. It's more important that Trump be prosecuted for his crimes when he leaves office.

Trump wins (the people lose), in that nothing will happen before the election. Trump loses in that NY will have his taxes and a prosecution may be coming.

Since we know nothing negative about Trump will dissuade Republicans from supporting him I think any new information coming about before the election would be a wash. I am ecstatic that the chance of his actually going to prison some day just went up dramatically.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Statement from Manhattan D.A. Cy Vance, Jr. on U.S. Supreme Court Opinion in Trump v. Vance

JULY 9, 2020

“This is a tremendous victory for our nation’s system of justice and its founding principle that no one – not even a president – is above the law. Our investigation, which was delayed for almost a year by this lawsuit, will resume, guided as always by the grand jury’s solemn obligation to follow the law and the facts, wherever they may lead.”

link
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject:

So on the Congressional decision, Trump was making the argument that he is immune from any and all investigation by Congress (hello, Bill Barr). SCOTUS basically rejected that argument but also seems to require Congress' request to be more specific and justified. So it's going back to lower courts for both sides to make new arguments on the same case. (my interpretation of NBC Pete Williams reporting).
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Pelosi Statement on Supreme Court Ruling on Congressional Oversight

JULY 9, 2020 PRESS RELEASE

Washington, D.C – Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued this statement after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on the consolidated cases of Trump v. Mazars and Trump v. Deutsche Bank, in which the Court asked the lower courts to further develop the record to assess the House’s need for the President’s financial records:

“A careful reading of the Supreme Court rulings related to the President’s financial records is not good news for President Trump.

“The Court has reaffirmed the Congress’s authority to conduct oversight on behalf of the American people, as it asks for further information from the Congress. Congress’s constitutional responsibility to uncover the truth continues, specifically related to the President’s Russia connection that he is hiding.

“The Congress will continue to conduct oversight For The People, upholding the separation of powers that is the genius of our Constitution. We will continue to press our case in the lower courts.”

"All roads lead back to Russia..."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Since we know nothing negative about Trump will dissuade Republicans from supporting him I think any new information coming about before the election would be a wash. I am ecstatic that the chance of his actually going to prison some day just went up dramatically.

Exactly. The tax returns are/we’re going to have no impact on the elections, but the potential for post-office conviction are a plus . . . assuming Trump loses. The only concern is that while Trump may not have the office to use as a shield supported by the corruption around him, those deeply intertwined in that corruption will still need to shield him for their own stake. It will get harder to do so, but they will give their best and the corruption runs deep.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject:

Jodeke touched upon something that has been running through my mind the last couple of months. We have always known that Trump’s base is what it is and is stable in what it is. It was never going to grow or shrink by any meaningful amount.

But what I haven’t seen discussed much is the voting habits of Trump’s base. There’s no doubt that Trump’s base was excited in 2016 and voted accordingly. But I firmly believe that a significant numbers of Trump supporters in that segment that are the rural, racist, low income working class were excited to have a guy they could relate to and supported their bigoted values. But Trump wasn’t as virulently obvious about it in 2016 and those type of people don’t strike me as people who got off their ass in November of 2016 to flock to vote for him.

Now that Trump has had 4 years to really pump them up and make them more assertive and recently jumped all in with them, I can see a scenario where a lot of rapid Trump supporters who loved his racist approach and wire their MAGA hats and waved their confederate flags wildly but weren’t inclined to go to the trouble of actually voting for him last time are going to be confronted by the possibility that they may lose their guy and thus the greenlight to engage in their extremely overt racism. I can how that would actually motivate the lazy members of his supportive base to become active members in his voting base. How significant that will ultimately be remains to be seen. But there is no doubt there are going to be a collection of MAGATS who couldn’t be bothered to vote in 2016 who damn well this November. Their newly found open season for racism depends on it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Jodeke touched upon something that has been running through my mind the last couple of months. We have always known that Trump’s base is what it is and is stable in what it is. It was never going to grow or shrink by any meaningful amount.

But what I haven’t seen discussed much is the voting habits of Trump’s base. There’s no doubt that Trump’s base was excited in 2016 and voted accordingly. But I firmly believe that a significant numbers of Trump supporters in that segment that are the rural, racist, low income working class were excited to have a guy they could relate to and supported their bigoted values. But Trump wasn’t as virulently obvious about it in 2016 and those type of people don’t strike me as people who got off their ass in November of 2016 to flock to vote for him.

Now that Trump has had 4 years to really pump them up and make them more assertive and recently jumped all in with them, I can see a scenario where a lot of rapid Trump supporters who loved his racist approach and wire their MAGA hats and waved their confederate flags wildly but weren’t inclined to go to the trouble of actually voting for him last time are going to be confronted by the possibility that they may lose their guy and thus the greenlight to engage in their extremely overt racism. I can how that would actually motivate the lazy members of his supportive base to become active members in his voting base. How significant that will ultimately be remains to be seen. But there is no doubt there are going to be a collection of MAGATS who couldn’t be bothered to vote in 2016 who damn well this November. Their newly found open season for racism depends on it.

I posted this repeatedly over 4 years ago, and my view hasn't changed. Trump is a symptom, he's not the problem. Unless the problem is addressed, we likely end up with a much more clever, charismatic and evil version of Trump in the White House.

The underlying problem is economics. The downtrodden had factory jobs. There was a decent standard of living the permeated the middle class, and they had affordable healthcare and education. Much of that has been taken away, and they're angry. Like any other economic malaise, the downtrodden will focus the blame on outsiders, like the Jews were singled out by the Nazis. And calls for fascism rise, as the downtrodden need to rally around something that will give their lives meaning. If we don't fix the underlying economic problems of this country, then Trump will just be a transitory figure, a bridge to someone worse later.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

live update from gov. whitmer

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=319755979427166&ref=watch_permalink

people thought it was going to be a covid update

turns out it was about racial bias

lmao at the salty rednecks commenting on it

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

I posted this repeatedly over 4 years ago, and my view hasn't changed. Trump is a symptom, he's not the problem. Unless the problem is addressed, we likely end up with a much more clever, charismatic and evil version of Trump in the White House.

The underlying problem is economics. The downtrodden had factory jobs. There was a decent standard of living the permeated the middle class, and they had affordable healthcare and education. Much of that has been taken away, and they're angry. Like any other economic malaise, the downtrodden will focus the blame on outsiders, like the Jews were singled out by the Nazis. And calls for fascism rise, as the downtrodden need to rally around something that will give their lives meaning. If we don't fix the underlying economic problems of this country, then Trump will just be a transitory figure, a bridge to someone worse later.

Sober words. And...part of the problem Democrats have is that they used to be the undisputed party of those blue collar workers and of the "working man". When the Democrats, starting under Bill Clinton, started to embrace wall street and to some degree neo-liberalism that started under Reagan and Thatcher, the broader economy thrived, but these people were left behind and once they were they reverted back to wedge issues, guns, religion, abortion, homophobia, racism, which the right was all too willing to exploit.

The Sanders movement was about trying to bring back power to the people, and away from large corporations. It didn't work this time around, and now that we've lost so many of the blue collar class to Republican fear mongering it will be very hard to win them back in the short term. But longer term I'm hoping this movement gains traction and we start seeing people mattering more than corporations, and we start figuring out how to bring those who have been left behind back to a middle class prosperity.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

But now the bad news:

So . . . everyone gather around, and on three (one, two, three):

Lock him up!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

The ruling is not exactly what it seems. It’s very likely Roberts was not going to let his legacy ride on a total immunity ruling, but he got a couple more conservatives on board and perhaps used his vote as a threat against the liberal justices to get on board too. The compromise is that Trump’s records won’t be public before the election and the conservatives get to look like they went along, while Roberts doesn’t have to cross a line he didn’t want to cross on immunity.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

How do you fix the economic problem? The haves are not going to relinquish their position.

My theory. Focus on the middle class.

Rebuild the infrastructure. Jobs in that standing don't always require a college education which the majority of Americans don't have.

Stress education. Technology is stripping jobs. e.g. Bank tellers are a dying occupation. I haven't been inside a bank in quite some time.

It's been said, "If you take the money from the rich and distribute it to the poor the rich will have it back in around 4 years. The poor are poor because they don't know how to keep money. You can't take that knowledge from the rich.

You can make equal opportunity laws but you can't make people be what they're not. I blame tribalism.

When applying for a job IMO tribalism is a huge factor in hiring. Upper management has to change. More people of color and women must be positioned. You can eliminate race on the application but you can't eliminate it at the interview.

Those are just a few suggestions I have. They're just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

SCOTUS rules in favor of Native Americans, including Gorsuch. Trump will have to consume extra adderall, cheeseburgers and ice cream to get through this day. Yeah.

Quote:
NPR Politics @nprpolitics

JUST IN: In a 5-4 opinion, Justice Neil Gorsuch joined the Supreme Court’s four liberal members in reversing Oklahoma’s prosecution of an enrolled member of the Creek Tribe for crimes committed within the historical Creek boundaries.

Quote:
Large swath of eastern Oklahoma upheld as a Native American reservation, Supreme Court rules.

Much of eastern Oklahoma, including Tulsa, is affirmed as native land for purposes of federal criminal law, the Supreme Court ruled on Thursday. The court ruled in favor of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation, finding that federal courts cannot prosecute tribe members for crimes that take place on their native land
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
How do you fix the economic problem? The haves are not going to relinquish their position.

My theory. Focus on the middle class.

Rebuild the infrastructure. Jobs in that standing don't always require a college education which the majority of Americans don't have.

Stress education. Technology is stripping jobs. e.g. Bank tellers are a dying occupation. I haven't been inside a bank in quite some time.

It's been said, "If you take the money from the rich and distribute it to the poor the rich will have it back in around 4 years. The poor are poor because they don't know how to keep money. You can't take that knowledge from the rich.

You can make equal opportunity laws but you can't make people be what they're not. I blame tribalism.

When applying for a job IMO tribalism is a huge factor in hiring. Upper management has to change. More people of color and women must be positioned. You can eliminate race on the application but you can't eliminate it at the interview.

Those are just a few suggestions I have. They're just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

We would have been doing all those things and more the past two years after retaking the House except McConnell blocked everything. First the Democrats need to retake the Senate, hold the House and take the White House. Otherwise nothing will change.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2320, 2321, 2322 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 2321 of 3671
Jump to: