THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2269, 2270, 2271 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

I check this every day, and I think this is the first time that Trump is not favored to win re-election in betting markets. He was -125 yesterday. Now it's Biden who is the -120 favorite.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

General Mattis (finally!) unloads on Trump, after staying quiet since his resignation as Sec of Def in Dec 2018. From an article in The Atlantic.

Quote:
“When I joined the military, some 50 years ago,” he writes, “I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.”

Quote:
“We must reject any thinking of our cities as a ‘battlespace’ that our uniformed military is called upon to ‘dominate.’ At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict—between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Kyle Griffin

@kylegriffin1
·
3m

Fox News poll:

Arizona
Biden 46
Trump 42

Kelly 50
McSally 37
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
I always got the impression he was a decent guy that was surrounded and manipulated by his Daddy's cohorts and cronies. If I got a flat, I'd expect he'd pull over and help me where Trump would probably wind down the window, point and laugh. I could be wrong.

You’re wrong. He’d roll down the window, call you a loser, possibly throw rotten eggs at you, and then laugh.

Or a bag of urine.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I guess they were inspecting what turning the lights off would look like too.

Fwiw, as with everything, Trump is most sensitive to what he dishes out, so creating nicknames for him like Bunker Baby drives him nuts, and should be continued.

On that front I'd tread lightly. Don't poke da bear.

Poke away.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
tlim wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
I always got the impression he was a decent guy that was surrounded and manipulated by his Daddy's cohorts and cronies. If I got a flat, I'd expect he'd pull over and help me where Trump would probably wind down the window, point and laugh. I could be wrong.

You’re wrong. He’d roll down the window, call you a loser, possibly throw rotten eggs at you, and then laugh.

Or a bag of urine.

Hey now, leave 999 out of this!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
And if they are from Federal prisons system, isn't Covid extremely prevalent in the prison system? None of these guys I have seen are wearing masks. They could easily be spreading Covid to each other and to the crowds.

We're going to get a damning Congressional report two years from now detailing how COVID ravaged through prisons and immigrant detention centers/concentration camps, it'll get 24 hours of news coverage, maybe some slaps on the wrist for a handful of political appointees (if that), and then we'll all move on.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
General Mattis (finally!) unloads on Trump, after staying quiet since his resignation as Sec of Def in Dec 2018. From an article in The Atlantic.

Quote:
“When I joined the military, some 50 years ago,” he writes, “I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.”

Quote:
“We must reject any thinking of our cities as a ‘battlespace’ that our uniformed military is called upon to ‘dominate.’ At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict—between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them.

Always wanted him to be a surprise keynote speaker at the Dem convention.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject:

The worm is turning LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nobody dislikes Trump more than me.

Mattis is too little and too late. Should've spoken up when he was in the White House. Instead he enabled Trump to become the President he is today.

Whistleblowers have come out against Trump. Mattis wasn't one of them. And now he just looks like someone speaking up because he has nothing to lose in his professional career.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
SweetP wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mattis is too little and too late. Should've spoken up when he was in the White House. Instead he enabled Trump to become the President he is today.

Whistleblowers have come out against Trump. Mattis wasn't one of them. And now he just looks like someone speaking up because he has nothing to lose in his professional career.

I agree, I wish he had done it much earlier and said much more but I am guessing the use of the military in such a way really galls him. He's military, his wheelhouse. I'm not excusing it but I can see why he might speak out now. And it provides some extra cover for the current SOD (Esper) to find his spine and speak up.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
SweetP wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

But Mattis is too little and too late. Should've spoken up when he was in the White House. Instead he enabled Trump to become the President he is today.

Although I agree it's a too little and too late, the fact that it's out there is important imo.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
I agree, I wish he had done it much earlier and said much more but I am guessing the use of the military in such a way really galls him. He's military, his wheelhouse. I'm not excusing it but I can see why he might speak out now. And it provides some extra cover for the current SOD (Esper) to find his spine and speak up.

jonnybravo wrote:
Although I agree it's a too little and too late, the fact that it's out there is important imo.

I want to call him a coward. But I won't since he served in our military.

All I see is an enabler trying to sell more copies of his book whenever I see or hear his name.
Maybe he should donate some of the proceeds to defeating Trump in November.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
SweetP wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

But Mattis is too little and too late. Should've spoken up when he was in the White House. Instead he enabled Trump to become the President he is today.

True. How many will come out of the closet because of him?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for being harsh about Mattis. But Congress asked him to speak candidly about Trump's wrong doings in office. He declined.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Sorry for being harsh about Mattis. But Congress asked him to speak candidly about Trump's wrong doings in office. He declined.

He's a conservative chicken.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I understand the displeasure that Mattis didn’t speak out earlier. But he did now, and on a matter of extreme importance about a subject that he is supremely suited to.

I don’t forgive him for his past silence, but I am appreciative of his language now. Not that it will make a difference with Trump or the GOP.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Q: Did Obama help push America toward more progressive policies?

A: Yes, even given the flaws and failures of the ACA, staking his political capital on trying to achieve universal healthcare coverage gradually shifted public opinion (after the initial backlash during implementation) and was a stark break from healthcare policy orthodoxy of the previous thirty years.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

When you're in the military you're not allowed to speak against the CIC.

LINK

Quote:
Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I wish Mattis had spoken up earlier too but I do think it's at least partly being a general. I've never served in military, and maybe someone who has can contribute their thoughts, but chain of command and deference to superiors has got to be very ingrained.

Plus I doubt one makes it to 4 stars without being a somewhat circumspect and "picking your battles" kind of guy. He did ultimately resign after the Syria/Kurds fiasco and I don't think he was as obsequious as the rest of Trump's cabinet.

But I have been disappointed in him as well, I expected more. I expected Rex Tillerson to speak up too, he doesn't have much to lose, it doesn't seem.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject:

MATTIS .. Do something.. don't just run your mouth

You are way tooooooo way tooooo (bleep) late

Get this POS out of office asap..

Better do something Mattis.. a sternly worded statement.. woo hoo.. world goes wild..

Distance himself from locking up children...
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

When you're in the military you're not allowed to speak against the CIC.

LINK

Quote:
Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

Whistle blowers are allowed. Women in the military who spoke out about sexual abuse were attacked with the same line of thought you are quoting.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Yeah, I understand the displeasure that Mattis didn’t speak out earlier. But he did now, and on a matter of extreme importance about a subject that he is supremely suited to.

I don’t forgive him for his past silence, but I am appreciative of his language now. Not that it will make a difference with Trump or the GOP.

I appreciate his most recent comments.
But I have no respect for him as a person.

Same goes for every other sycophant and enabler who has worked in the White House since 2017. Some jobs aren't worth doing. And some secrets aren't worth keeping.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I appreciate his most recent comments.
But I have no respect for him as a person.

Same goes for every other sycophant and enabler who has worked in the White House since 2017. Some jobs aren't worth doing. And some secrets aren't worth keeping.

There is a large number of people who thought they were going to work with Trump only to discover that they were only meant to serve Trump.

That's not to diminish their complicity, just an observation in regards to their foolishness.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

McConnell is more complicit than anyone in the cabinet past or present...
Direct your Ire to him( and donate to McGrath) instead of Mattis.
At least Mattis served his country.
I can't think of one thing McConnell has done for this country, besides his home state.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2269, 2270, 2271 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2270 of 3673
Jump to: