THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1916, 1917, 1918 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
I'm also upset that the top candidates left in the race are all white. We had a terrific diverse field and that fact extremely qualified and great candidates of color couldn't even get funded through the first vote in Iowa is sad and unfortunate. And the racial component can't simply be swept under the carpet. Just like people have internalized their views on gender, they have internalized their views on race. That doesn't mean people are racist, but race apparently did play a role into who they gave money to. I donated to Kamala Harris, Julian Castro and Cory Booker because I wanted them in the race even if they weren't my first choice.

As a liberal Democrat I feel greatly distressed that mostly white men (Warren being the exception) are once again populating the top tier. Bloomberg basically bought his way into the top tier and Steyer basically bought his way onto the debate stage. And in effect it was at the expense of the candidates of color. There is something very, very wrong with that that doesn't represent the Democratic party the I believe in.

Congress gives me hope. As I often point out to young Berners, this is where you build power and create actual legislation. It takes some time, but as women and people of color and progressives own more and more seats, they will become more and more likely to field successful presidential candidates.

I hope you're right. Ayanna Pressley was elected in my district and displaced a popular progressive white male because I think the voters here realize we need more diversity in government.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
I'm also upset that the top candidates left in the race are all white. We had a terrific diverse field and that fact extremely qualified and great candidates of color couldn't even get funded through the first vote in Iowa is sad and unfortunate. And the racial component can't simply be swept under the carpet. Just like people have internalized their views on gender, they have internalized their views on race. That doesn't mean people are racist, but race apparently did play a role into who they gave money to. I donated to Kamala Harris, Julian Castro and Cory Booker because I wanted them in the race even if they weren't my first choice.

As a liberal Democrat I feel greatly distressed that mostly white men (Warren being the exception) are once again populating the top tier. Bloomberg basically bought his way into the top tier and Steyer basically bought his way onto the debate stage. And in effect it was at the expense of the candidates of color. There is something very, very wrong with that that doesn't represent the Democratic party the I believe in.

Congress gives me hope. As I often point out to young Berners, this is where you build power and create actual legislation. It takes some time, but as women and people of color and progressives own more and more seats, they will become more and more likely to field successful presidential candidates.

I hope you're right. Ayanna Pressley was elected in my district and displaced a popular progressive white male because I think the voters here realize we need more diversity in government.

I don't expect the progression to be linear. But I too hope Omar is right.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

I wonder if the Houston Astros are now Trump's favorite team?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Warren says she'll cancel student debt on day one.

Over at Kos, "fairly" Liberal/Progressive (though likely older), 46% say that this is a top issue and 50% say it is not.

I'd say, not a wise move by Liz.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I don't expect the progression to be linear. But I too hope Omar is right.

You guys should listen to The Wilderness podcast done by the Pod Save America guys, specifically Jon Favreau. Offers some hope, especially season 2.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Except it's hard to do that when the DCCC is blacklisting consultants for working with progressives. They also push the scales to get progressives to drop out. AOC just announced she's withholding dues.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/01/12/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-pac-dccc-dues/
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/nbcs-jonathan-allen-busted-taking-bernie-sanders-out-of-context-on-iraq-always-watch-the-full-video/

What a friend to the left NBC is... Complete smear merchants.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
https://www.mediaite.com/news/nbcs-jonathan-allen-busted-taking-bernie-sanders-out-of-context-on-iraq-always-watch-the-full-video/

What a friend to the left NBC is... Complete smear merchants.

For a guy who has no issue posting smears of other candidates, you sure do complain a lot when it come back at your guy.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

This is another area where the far left and right mirror each other. Endless grievances against the "other", and "establishment" that they don't hold themselves to, and that explain everything away.

Got less votes, we were cheated.
Journalist backs your guy, great journalism. Journalist doesn't back your guy, corporate fix!
Party works to ensure that only party members vote in primaries, they're cheating us!
Your candidate criticized, smears!
The other candidates criticized, Hey, read this.

etc., ad nauseum
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
PoliticsVideoChannel @politvidchannel

BREAKING: Democrat Mark Kelly is Leading GOP Sen. Martha McSally BY 4 points - 46% to 42% in a new Arizona poll by Public Policy Polling.

THIS IS BIG. Democrat Mark Kelly is now leading in every big poll

this is a key senate seat for dems to win back the senate.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Warren says she'll cancel student debt on day one.

Over at Kos, "fairly" Liberal/Progressive (though likely older), 46% say that this is a top issue and 50% say it is not.

I'd say, not a wise move by Liz.

Or it could motivate new young voters to register and vote. We. Don't. Know.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

And what smear have I posted?

I don't have a problem with people saying negative things about Bernie (I've done it here), but there's a difference with falsifying evidence and slander.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
This is another area where the far left and right mirror each other. Endless grievances against the "other", and "establishment" that they don't hold themselves to, and that explain everything away.

Journalist backs your guy, great journalism. Journalist doesn't back your guy, corporate fix!
Party works to ensure that only party members vote in primaries, they're cheating us!

etc., ad nauseum

Are you trying to see how many straw man fallacies you can fit into a single post?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

etc., ad nauseum

Are you trying to see how many straw man fallacies you can fit into a single post?

The irony of a post grousing about grousing is probably lost.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

etc., ad nauseum

That's not a straw man fallacy. That's a huge swath of just what's posted here. It's an endless democratic conspiracy, and even the actual Russian activity is sloughed off as a Democratic conspiracy.

That's the point I've been trying to get to, that instead of productive activities leading to winning and making policy, a large portion of the left is being co-opted into cult like behavior that is designed to separate it from the rest of the coalition.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

etc., ad nauseum

The irony of a post grousing about grousing is probably lost.

LOL, you don't get the difference between hypocrisy and what is being discussed as hypocritical?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

etc., ad nauseum

There's not a shred of straw to it. It's a very apt description of the dynamic, as anyone who has paid any attention over the last few years would acknowledge.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:

As long as everybody shows up for the nominee. I'm okay with the infighting now. We still are nowhere close to the cluster (bleep) Trump turned the 2016 GOP primary into.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
As long as everybody shows up for the nominee. I'm okay with the infighting now. We still are nowhere close to the cluster (bleep) Trump turned the 2016 GOP primary into.

That’s what I’m getting at. Stoking the grievance mentality is designed to suppress the vote. Look at 16.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That’s what I’m getting at. Stoking the grievance mentality is designed to suppress the vote. Look at 16.

Hopefully we don't make the same mistake twice. And the intra-party squabbling fuels engagement through the general election.
If a person is knowledgeable enough to have a preference within the Democratic party. They better be smart enough to know what's at stake if Trump gets 4 more years.
Bernie bros and Biden bros should get over it come general election time. I will, and I want Warren.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Hopefully we don't make the same mistake twice. And the intra-party squabbling fuels engagement through the general election.
If a person is knowledgeable enough to have a preference within the Democratic party. They better be smart enough to know what's at stake if Trump gets 4 more years.
Bernie bros and Biden bros should get over it come general election time. I will, and I want Warren.

You guys think black voters would come out for Bernie/Warren/Pete if Biden doesn't get the nomination?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject:

I didn't post the article yesterday but the Russian GRU hacked Burisma. It's the same playbook as when Russian GRU hacked DNC. They are looking for anything embarrassing that they can exploit to make Biden look bad in order to help Trump. They won't stop. That's why everyone needs to PLEDGE NOW that you will vote for the Democratic candidate NO MATTER WHAT*. That's the only way to nullify Russian interference. (*Unless the Democratic candidate shoots someone on Fifth Avenue and partners with a foreign government to steal the election.) Just because they hacked to hurt Biden this time doesn't mean they won't hack to make Bernie Sanders (or any other candidate) look bad in the future. You are either for protecting the sanctity of American elections no matter who the candidate is, or you aren't.

NYT: Russians Hacked Ukrainian Gas Company at Center of Impeachment

Quote:
With President Trump facing an impeachment trial over his efforts to pressure Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and his son Hunter Biden, Russian military hackers have been boring into the Ukrainian gas company at the center of the affair, according to security experts.

The hacking attempts against Burisma, the Ukrainian gas company on whose board Hunter Biden served, began in early November, as talk of the Bidens, Ukraine and impeachment was dominating the news in the United States.

It is not yet clear what the hackers found, or precisely what they were searching for. But the experts say the timing and scale of the attacks suggest that the Russians could be searching for potentially embarrassing material on the Bidens — the same kind of information that Mr. Trump wanted from Ukraine when he pressed for an investigation of the Bidens and Burisma, setting off a chain of events that led to his impeachment.

Theoretically, Russian hacking is something an American president would DENOUNCE.

So Trump supporters, where'd you disappear to?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject:

I really wish Dems would stop going after one another and stick to issues and start attacking Trump. It makes them look weak to me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I really wish Dems would stop going after one another and stick to issues and start attacking Trump. It makes them look weak to me.

This is exactly what happens in the primaries. Obama and Hillary went after each other in 2008. The entire Republican field was against Trump -- until they weren't. I don't see how it makes them look weak. It's politics. They go after one another on their differences.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

You guys think black voters would come out for Bernie/Warren/Pete if Biden doesn't get the nomination?

Only thing that'll stop black voters from voting Trump's racist ass out of office are the laws.
If people are worried about it and want to do their part to help. I recommend donating to fairfight.com .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1916, 1917, 1918 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next
Page 1917 of 3672
Jump to: