THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1835, 1836, 1837 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

I am one of those who listened to the Alex Jones podcast after he was deplatformed from pretty much every major social media venue. I’d never listened to anything more than a snippet of the outrageous things he had to say and I’m glad I listened to this episode. The conclusion I came away with is that he is borderline, if not certifiably mentally ill. Seriously, there is something wrong there, and over the course of two hours it becomes very clear.

I listened to one of the Ben Shapiro podcasts and my takeaway there? What do I remember from it? That he is a religious zealot that wouldn’t go to a gay wedding even if it was his best friend because religion compels him not to. Why explain it, just watch it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nmihGvY8NIk

This just further re-iterates my point. Many of us came to those very same conclusions by looking at their "body of work" and don't need one Joe Rogan interview to reach a conclusion as to what they are about. Which is why one interview isn't going to alter Gabbard's.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
I don’t disagree that he thinks certain SJWs(ever heard of Antifa?) are hurting America, I agree.

You fit into a niche I've never seen before. Repeats Republican talking points, but doesn't support Trump.
I guess that's an effective way to take a moral high ground from the right side of the aisle.
Do you agree with Rogan that David Duke could be controlled by the Democratic party as a way to hurt Republicans.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Interviewing people that range from reasonable to crazy is not inherently impressive. There is no societal benefit in giving Alex Jones an opportunity to spew his garbage. Though less controversial, there is no benefit in inviting a professional, disingenuous troll like Ben Shapiro. Those people thrive on division and not on using reasonable arguments to convince people to join their side.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
I don’t disagree that he thinks certain SJWs(ever heard of Antifa?) are hurting America, I agree.

You fit into a niche I've never seen before. Repeats Republican talking points, but doesn't support Trump.
I guess that's an effective way to take a moral high ground from the right side of the aisle.
Do you agree with Rogan that David Duke could be controlled by the Democratic party as a way to hurt Republicans.

Im assuming that’s because you prefer to only speak to like minded individuals. I’m far from one of a kind. Acknowledging how bad Antifa is for the country isn’t a republican talking point, its common sense if you do a smidge of objective research into Antifa.

I have no idea regarding David Duke. I know he was a democrat in the 80s but idk how the Democratic Party would control him. He seems like a disgusting person only interested in spewing his racist nonsense to anybody who will listen. Regardless, him saying he supports Tulsi means nothing to me.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Interviewing people that range from reasonable to crazy is not inherently impressive. There is no societal benefit in giving Alex Jones an opportunity to spew his garbage. Though less controversial, there is no benefit in inviting a professional, disingenuous troll like Ben Shapiro. Those people thrive on division and not on using reasonable arguments to convince people to join their side.

We have a certain percentage of the population afflicted with Dunning-Kruger effect who immerse themselves in right-wing crank media world and are absolutely convinced that they are truly informed and the rest of us are uninformed saps living in a bubble. #SadAndPathetic #SeinfeldBizarroWorld
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Uncle Joe is off his rocker and needs to end his campaign for president.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Im assuming that’s because you prefer to only speak to like minded individuals. I’m far from one of a kind. Acknowledging how bad Antifa is for the country isn’t a republican talking point, its common sense if you do a smidge of objective research into Antifa.

I have no idea regarding David Duke. I know he was a democrat in the 80s but idk how the Democratic Party would control him. He seems like a disgusting person only interested in spewing his racist nonsense to anybody who will listen. Regardless, him saying he supports Tulsi means nothing to me.

I'm a simple man. If Nazis think you're an okay person then you're doing something, many things in fact, very wrong.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

I'm a simple man. If Nazis think you're an okay person then you're doing something, many things in fact, very wrong.

I think(maybe hope) you know that’s a drastic oversimplification regarding the Tulsi Gabbert situation.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

HOLY (bleep) (bleep)

NAME the first person ANTIFA shot

now try..
just (bleep) try without being an NRA White Nationalist

Try to name those who have been killed in the name of
White Nationalism/MAGA
Trump Anti Immigrant Murderers

Republicans and the GOP are Terrorists to Democracy and Freedom and Human Rights AND ALWAYS WILL BE

Grand Obstructionist Party is the actual acronym

(bleep) below was said in 1948 - 71? years ago... Even truer today

Quote:
They approve of the American farmer-but they are willing to help him go broke.

They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing.

They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights.

They favor a minimum wage--the smaller the minimum the better.

They indorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools.

They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them.

They approve of social security benefits-so much so that they took them away from almost a million people.

They believe in international trade--so much so that they crippled our reciprocal trade program, and killed our International Wheat Agreement.

They favor the admission of displaced persons--but only within shameful racial and religious limitations.

They consider electric power a great blessing-but only when the private power companies get their rake-off.

They say TVA is wonderful--but we ought never to try it again.

They condemn "cruelly high prices"--but fight to the death every effort to bring them down.

They think the American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people.

And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Don't be modest. You are unique.
Quote:
As President Trump battles the impeachment inquiry, 90% of Republicans approve of his job performance, while 10% disapprove.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/268493/trump-approval-holds-steady-face-impeachment-probe.aspx

And this is amid impeachment. The % has been higher.
I do find it interesting peaking into a mind that thinks about antifa when the reality is:
Quote:
The issue with this narrative is that this is verifiably not the case; though members of antifa have committed violent acts, that number is dwarfed by those committed by far-right extremists, says Hankes. That’s also the truth according to FBI director Christopher Wray, who has said that white supremacists constitute “the vast majority” of domestic terrorism threats. And when considering the very real, very immediate threat of far-right radicalization, promoting the conspiracy theories of a huckster like Ngo serves as little more than a distraction.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/andy-ngo-right-wing-troll-antifa-877914/

A Republican caring about left leaning terrorist threats is like a Houston Rockets fan concerned about how players on other teams flop too much.

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

I think(maybe hope) you know that’s a drastic oversimplification regarding the Tulsi Gabbert situation.

That’s fair. Russians like her too, as do right wing trolls...
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Uncle Joe is off his rocker and needs to end his campaign for president.

Wrong, but nice try.
The man has done more for this country than most and deserves your respect.

Don't like him? Don't vote for him.
I could write something negative about every single candidate out there but life is too short.
"Off his rocker" is either ageist or mocking someone with a mental disability.
It's ironic that democrats who espouse caring about the environment, minorities, women and social justice have no problem basically gossiping like school kids about a person with possible alzheimers or dementia.

BTW, He has a stammer that he has hidden well for the last 40 years but as he gets older it's starting to appear more but what a loser for having a stammer amirite?!?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Jones is fired by the Mayor weeks before retirement for "ethical lapses". Politics in the Windy City is never boring and always corrupt.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

your transition over the past 4 years has been amazing
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Some believe all voices deserve a platform as big as Rogans. Some believe not all voices do, but his guests haven't "crossed the line". Either argument is pretty easy to pick apart.
I appreciate some of his guests. But others are allowed to say whatever ignorant stuff they want via his interviewing technique. And of the millions of people who watch and listen. 10s of thousands (I'm sure in some cases 100s of thousands) gobble it up like it's gospel truth.
Not saying that's Rogan's personal goal. I am saying the effect is there though.

kind of like the Rachel Maddow Show, Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell, Hardball with Chris Matthews, All In with Chris Hayes, AC360, Cuomo Prime Time, CNN Tonight with Don Lemon, The Sean Hannity Show and the Ingraham Angle?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
This clip of Joe Rogan is interesting to me for 2 reasons.
1) He goes back and forth with the idea that David Duke is Democrat plant.
2) He argues directly against my point. He says de-platforming David Duke (and others like him). Would actually make their message spread more. Make their message more powerful/effective.

I disagree with both points. 1 is a scary bad take. But I wonder if anybody in here thinks point 2 is correct.

I agree with the second point whole heartedly. Combats hate speech with real speech to disprove it and you’ll see it get less and less prevalent.

Be it David Duke or Louis Farrakhan, it is scary so many feel the answer is to censor and silence them in America. They are so easily defeated with logical retort, but the only chance we get to push back on their ideas is to allow them to express them in an open dialogue.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
2) He argues directly against my point. He says de-platforming David Duke (and others like him). Would actually make their message spread more. Make their message more powerful/effective.

I disagree with both points. 1 is a scary bad take. But I wonder if anybody in here thinks point 2 is correct.

I agree with the second point whole heartedly. Combats hate speech with real speech to disprove it and you’ll see it get less and less prevalent.

Be it David Duke or Louis Farrakhan, it is scary so many feel the answer is to censor and silence them in America. They are so easily defeated with logical retort, but the only chance we get to push back on their ideas is to allow them to express them in an open dialogue.

What are you basing that off of? I mean alt-right violence/terrorism has jumped a ton and it's coincided with an alt-right President of the United States and other growing internet personalities.

It's one thing to say giving hate a platform doesn't change things either way. But to say it diminishes it is a whole other leap.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Some believe all voices deserve a platform as big as Rogans. Some believe not all voices do, but his guests haven't "crossed the line". Either argument is pretty easy to pick apart.
I appreciate some of his guests. But others are allowed to say whatever ignorant stuff they want via his interviewing technique. And of the millions of people who watch and listen. 10s of thousands (I'm sure in some cases 100s of thousands) gobble it up like it's gospel truth.
Not saying that's Rogan's personal goal. I am saying the effect is there though.

kind of like the Rachel Maddow Show, Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell, Hardball with Chris Matthews, All In with Chris Hayes, AC360, Cuomo Prime Time, CNN Tonight with Don Lemon, The Sean Hannity Show and the Ingraham Angle?

Let's keep this simple and start just with Rachel. Please give a few examples of the ignorant stuff she says.

For everybody else . . . yeah, I know, really silly to expect him to truly back up a statement.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Has Trump been defeated with logical retort?

For everybody else . . . yeah, I know, really silly to expect him to truly back up a statement.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

your transition over the past 4 years has been amazing

You've noticed as well? I'll give you credit for that. Yes, I've also seen a growth in the depth of his analysis for the most part.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:

What are you basing that off of? I mean alt-right violence/terrorism has jumped a ton and it's coincided with an alt-right President of the United States and other growing internet personalities.

It's one thing to say giving hate a platform doesn't change things either way. But to say it diminishes it is a whole other leap.

The truth is in between as I see it. There's a large space between censoring and providing more platforms. There is no doubt that providing mainstream outlets for hate speech helps to "legitimize" it to many people - we have seen that happening over the last few years. And no, providing that access does not "easily defeat it with logical retort" nor providing that further voice for it the only way to push back on it. That can certainly be done otherwise.

The reality is, now that the Right Wing has been emboldened by Trump's election and his hateful example, there is no censoring it anyway. It's too prevalent thanks to Fox news, Brietbart etc. - that is not going to be quieted and it is foolish to try. The best course is to watch it play out where it exists and vocally refute it when and how you can. But one thing is for sure, no one who ascribes to such speech is going to have their mind changaed by the "push back" provided on by appearance in places other than Fox news etc.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Let's keep this simple and start just with Rachel. Please give a few examples of the ignorant stuff she says.

Okay, I'll start the ball rolling.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rachel-maddow-niger-travel-ban_n_59ea060fe4b05b4f1c3ad52f

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/04/08/msnbc-hosts-conspiracy-theory-what-if-putin-planned-the-syrian-chemical-attack-to-help-trump/

When even the HuffPo is calling you out...
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Not at all. Joe Rogan goes out of his way to just let the guest speak their thoughts in a more unchallenged way than any of the MSNBC or CNN hosts I've seen.
For example, a guest came in and said a black man's brain is smaller than a white man's brain. And Joe just nodded and let the man continue on whatever ignorant point he was making.

That ish doesn't fly with the MSNBC and CNN shows you mentioned.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Not at all. Joe Rogan goes out of his way to just let the guest speak their thoughts in a more unchallenged way than any of the MSNBC or CNN hosts I've seen.
For example, a guest came in and said a black man's brain is smaller than a white man's brain. And Joe just nodded and let the man continue on whatever ignorant point he was making.

That ish doesn't fly with the MSNBC and CNN shows you mentioned.

They're all grifters, IMO, for the possible exception of Hannity who probably believes the stupid (bleep) he says. I'm tempted to say Hayes might be above the fray, which probably explains why he's the lowest rated.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The truth is in between as I see it. There's a large space between censoring and providing more platforms. There is no doubt that providing mainstream outlets for hate speech helps to "legitimize" it to many people - we have seen that happening over the last few years. And no, providing that access does not "easily defeat it with logical retort" nor providing that further voice for it the only way to push back on it. That can certainly be done otherwise.

The reality is, now that the Right Wing has been emboldened by Trump's election and his hateful example, there is no censoring it anyway. It's too prevalent thanks to Fox news, Brietbart etc. - that is not going to be quieted and it is foolish to try. The best course is to watch it play out where it exists and vocally refute it when and how you can. But one thing is for sure, no one who ascribes to such speech is going to have their mind changaed by the "push back" provided on by appearance in places other than Fox news etc.

If a Joe Rogan guest advocates for the biologic superiority of the white race. I wonder what occurs more. People listening and saying "man that guy's crazy" or impressionable people saying 'he has a point". I'm sure there are people in both groups. But judging by the comments and upvotes/downvotes ratio on those videos. I'm thinking the second group is more prevalent. People in the 1st group are less likely to listen to that episode in the first place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1835, 1836, 1837 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1836 of 3671
Jump to: