THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1614, 1615, 1616 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The cynic in me believes the overtly racist comments towards freshmen Congresswomen are just a tactic to distract the public from the concentration camps.

no. He, nor a big part of the population cares about concentration camps. He is creating a distraction to coverup his failed efforts to fix healthcare, build a border wall, fight the pharmaceutical abuses, drain the swamp and many other promises he made to his base. He would love to keep talking about his tweet wars with 4 congresswoman " of color", versus having to explain how he gave a massive tax cut to the 1% or his relationship with Jeffrey Epstein

Democrats are stupidly falling for it and are reacting to his tweets while slowly alienating themselves from the voters in those swing states so crucial to the 2020 election.

Tomorrow we'll see Trump doubling down
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-tweets-being-called-191448082.html

"Trump says that his tweets being called racist 'doesn't concern' him because 'many people agree' with him"

there you have it
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
There is nothing wrong with healthy policy debate between progressives and moderate Dems.
Trump obviously trying to create infighting for his opposition. Doubt Dems will fall for it. The media on the other hand.

They need to fall for it. They are already attacking each other as it is.

Could you give me an example? Just cause maybe me and you see the same story and we take 2 different things from it.

Well, for one, the back and forth between Pelosi and AOC that lead to AOC implying that Pelosi was racist, which prompted even Donald Trump to come to Pelosi's defense. And I am not laying it all at AOC's feet. There's been back and forth within the Dem leadership from lots of fronts. I'm simply pointing out that the Dems don't need Donald Trump's rhetoric to influence them to go at each other - they have been doing that. Further example being the accusation that Pelosi has engaged in a complete dereliction of duty because she hasn't pressed forward with Impeachment.

Impeachment debate is healthy. Whether we impeach or not, it draws people's attention to Trumps crimes in office.

But I can't find a story about the bolded. I could've missed it, but I never saw that. AOC's campaign manager was critical of Pelosi. After Pelosi's comments in the Maureen Dowd interview. But Pelosi was actually more critical of the freshmen Congresswomen (in that interview) than the other way around. From what I saw.
Overall, it was pretty tame. Considering the gravity of what they're arguing. It's not like Trump calling Ted Cruz's father JFK's murderer or when Trump gave out Lindsey Graham's phone number so he would get trolled.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
kikanga wrote:
The cynic in me believes the overtly racist comments towards freshmen Congresswomen are just a tactic to distract the public from the concentration camps.

no. He, nor a big part of the population cares about concentration camps. He is creating a distraction to coverup his failed efforts to fix healthcare, build a border wall, fight the pharmaceutical abuses, drain the swamp and many other promises he made to his base. He would love to keep talking about his tweet wars with 4 congresswoman " of color", versus having to explain how he gave a massive tax cut to the 1% or his relationship with Jeffrey Epstein

Democrats are stupidly falling for it and are reacting to his tweets while slowly alienating themselves from the voters in those swing states so crucial to the 2020 election.

Personally, I think some of you are giving Trump way too much credit for being intelligent enough to engage in the kind of chicanery being proposed. I don't mean that in any way that's meant as a criticism of your theories. I simply mean I don't think Trump is trying to distract from anything he's doing. He doesn't need to do that. He's in full blown arrogance mode. He feels he is entitled to do whatever he wants and he knows that no one in the GOP ranks is going to fight him no matter what he does. He also clearly doesn't care about any opposition from the Left.

Trump is just being Trump. There's no grand design behind it. He just DNGAS about what anyone thinks nor does he care if anyone opposes him. So there's no need for him to try and "distract" anyone. He's WAAAAAYYY to far down the road to Dictatorship to waste any time doing that kind of thing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
paymonM wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Personally, I think some of you are giving Trump way too much credit for being intelligent enough to engage in the kind of chicanery being proposed. I don't mean that in any way that's meant as a criticism of your theories. I simply mean I don't think Trump is trying to distract from anything he's doing. He doesn't need to do that. He's in full blown arrogance mode. He feels he is entitled to do whatever he wants and he knows that no one in the GOP ranks is going to fight him no matter what he does. He also clearly doesn't care about any opposition from the Left.

Trump is just being Trump. There's no grand design behind it. He just DNGAS about what anyone thinks nor does he care if anyone opposes him. So there's no need for him to try and "distract" anyone. He's WAAAAAYYY to far down the road to Dictatorship to waste any time doing that kind of thing.

too much credit ? he did manage to fool 50% of America or he would not be president today. right ?

He may not have any clue how the government works and he may be ignorant on issues that are critical to our future, but he does understand simple math, and that 70,000 votes in critical swing states beats 3M votes spanning all the states. He understands people vote based on emotions and not logic and he is master when it comes to manipulating the segment of the population that is hurting culturally, and financially.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject:

^ 46%
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
paymonM wrote:
kikanga wrote:

too much credit ? he did manage to fool 50% of America or he would not be president today. right ?

He may not have any clue how the government works and he may be ignorant on issues that are critical to our future, but he does understand simple math, and that 70,000 votes in critical swing states beats 3M votes spanning all the states. He understands people vote based on emotions and not logic and he is master when it comes to manipulating the segment of the population that is hurting culturally, and financially.

The timing of his comments coming after another round of Pelosi's dismissive statements about the four congresswomen and her and the party ongoing's marginalization of them suggests he thinks they are on an island and not supported by the Democratic leadership (validly), therefore an attackable group, that can appeal to the swing voters and racists too, while playing to Democrats' clear ambivalence about being too progressive. Plus, it attacks those who attack the border conditions most stridently. And of course, as usual, because it's a distraction. Plus, of course, racism, xenophobia, anti-Islam, anti-immigrant, anti-women all gravy for him.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
paymonM wrote:
kikanga wrote:

There's no grand design, but it is a behavior that he has done so often, that it looks like instinct. He has this level of intelligence, or calculation, to use distraction as he always has in his entire campaign, presidency, and probably before. It's a well-grooved habit now.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
paymonM wrote:
kikanga wrote:

There's no grand design, but it is a behavior that he has done so often, that it looks like instinct. He has this level of intelligence, or calculation, to use distraction as he always has in his entire campaign, presidency, and probably before. It's a well-grooved habit now.

DMR and I rarely agree on anything but we agree on this. If Trump were strategic, he would have created a different distraction. If your opponents are tearing each other apart, you’d find a way to highlight that. Instead of the story being about the Dems circular firing squad, he shifted the narrative to his xenophobic tweet and gave his opponents a rallying point. Yes, it is still a distraction but not an advisable one IMO and I’m inclined to believe he is more of a wrecking ball (that sometimes hits the wrong building) than a demo hammer that is more precise and deliberate.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-tweets-being-called-191448082.html

"Trump says that his tweets being called racist 'doesn't concern' him because 'many people agree' with him"

there you have it

sad part is he's right. he was speaking directly to his base with those tweets
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

If you don't like it, you can leave
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

^^^ Lack of disciplining by the Republican party has emboldened Trump and his base. How racist can he be and not be admonished by his party? The Republicans are no longer the party of Lincoln they're now the party of Trump.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
If you don't like it, you can leave

Interesting from a guy who implies that America is no longer great and who most Americans believe is making even less so.

Regardless, this is just a recycle of what I grew up hearing from rednecks back in the day, American Love It or Leave It.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

"Racism is awful, but nothing is racist." - Fox News's stance in a sentence.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:

David Rothkopf
@djrothkopf
a day ago, 19 tweets, 4 min read Read on Twitter

It's the racism. But it's not just the racism. It's sex crimes. But it's not just the sex crimes. It's the concentration camps. But it's not just the concentration camps. It's the corruption. But it's not just the corruption.

It's being a traitor. But it's not just being a traitor. It's the obstruction of justice but its not just the obstruction of justice. It's the attacks on rule of law. But it's not just the attacks on the rule of law. It's the assault on freedom of the press.

But it's not just the assault on freedom of the press. It's the pathological lying. But it's not just the pathological lying. It's the unfitness for office. But it's not just the unfitness for office. It's the incompetence. But it's not just the incompetence.

It's the attacks on our most important allies and alliances. But it's not just the attacks on most important allies and alliances. It's the systematic destruction of our environment. But it's not just the systematic destruction of our environment.

It's the violation of international treaties and agreements. But it is not just the violation of international treaties and agreements. It's the embrace of our enemies. But it is not just the embrace of our enemies.

It's the defense of murdering dictators but it is not just the defense of murdering dictators. It is the serial undermining of our national security. But it is not just the serial undermining of our national security. It is the nepotism. But it's not just the nepotism.

It's the attacks on our federal law enforcement and intelligence communities. But it is not just the attacks on our federal law enforcement and intelligence communities. It's the fiscal recklessness. But it's not just the fiscal recklessness.

It's the degradation of the office and of public discourse in America. But it's not just the degradation of the office and of public discourse in America. It's the support of Nazis and white supremacists. But it's not just the support of Nazis and white supremacists.

It's the dead in Puerto Rico and the at the border. But it's not just the dead in Puerto Rico and at the border. It's turning the US government into a criminal conspiracy to empower and enrich the president and his supporters.

But it's not just the turning the US government into a criminal conspiracy to empower and enrich the president and his supporters. It's weaponization of politics in America to attack the weak. But it's not just the weaponization of American politics to attack the weak.

It's all these things together and the threat of worse to come. It is the damage that can not be undone. It is pathology that has overtaken our politics and our society, the revelation that 40 percent of the population and an entire political party are profoundly immoral.

It is a disease that has infected our system and is killing it. At the moment, we still have the wherewithal to fight back. But even those who recognize the dangers of this litany of crimes are proving too complacent, too inert in the face of this threat.

It is one of those moments in the history of a country when there is a choice to be made, a choice between having a future and not, between growth and decay, between democracy and oligarchy, between what we dreamt of being and what even our founders feared we might become.

The litany of crises and crimes is so long that we are becoming numb. You have heard of the fog of war. This is the fog of Trump. The volume of wrongs becomes its own defense. Is the president accused of being a rapist? Well, then remind them he is a racist and they'll forget.

This is a moment for leaders to step up. To challenge each of these abuses via every legal means available. To organize and draw attention to them. To blow the whistle if you are in government and you are being asked to violate your oath. To resist and refuse to be complicit.

If you can't do those things that make your voice heard and join a movement, support a political candidate, donate money, register voters, fight voter suppression. But whatever you do, resist becoming numb. Resist the temptation to let the recitation of old crimes and new...

...become a deadening drone. Every one matters in times like these. Every one must stand up for what is right. In their homes. In their schools. In the workplace. In their churches and synagogues and mosques.

We are approaching a great national decision about whether the American experiment will succeed or fail, whether this moment does what two world wars, a civil war and countless past misjudgments and missteps could not.

We will make it together, resist, offer a better alternative, embrace that alternative and the best leaders we can find...or succumb, let the inertia of some among us mark the end of what for two and half centuries was an idea so compelling it inspired the world.

The next time your Trump loving relative or co-worker says they are still voting for Trump, make them read this then respond coherently to each point.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Watch Trump aide Kellyanne Conway ask reporter: 'What's your ethnicity?'

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-kellyanne-conway-asks-reporter-what-s-your-ethnicity-63946821868

Oh they gotz themselves a new one: Democrats want American to come in last.

Regarding interviewing technique, why do so many reporters, whose job and experience is in interviewing, allow the interviewer to take over? When Kellyanne did not answer, the interviewer should have said something like, my question was . . . or perhaps you did not hear the question so . . . or let me repeat my question . . . and after she obfuscates some more, just say, OK, I guess the question was above your grade, or I guess you just can't answer the question, or something to that effect.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Here's what Kellyanne's husband penned in the Washington Post today:

Washington Post: George Conway: Trump is a racist president

Quote:
To this day, I can remember almost the precise spot where it happened: a supermarket parking lot in eastern Massachusetts. It was the mid-1970s; I was not yet a teenager, or barely one. I don’t remember exactly what precipitated the woman’s ire. But I will never forget what she said to my mother, who had come to this country from the Philippines decades before. In these words or something close, the woman said, “Go back to your country.”

I remember the incident well, but it never bothered me all that much. Nor did racial slurs, which, thankfully, were rare. None of it was troublesome, to my mind, because most Americans weren’t like that. The woman in the parking lot was just a boor, an ignoramus, an aberration. America promised equality. Its constitution said so. My schoolbooks said so. The country wasn’t perfect, to be sure. But its ideals were. And every day brought us closer to those ideals.

Quote:
How naive a child could be. The woman in the parking lot — there were many more like her, it turned out. They never went away. Today they attend rallies, and they post ugliness on Facebook or Twitter. As for the victims of historic racial oppression, no matter how much affirmative action (or reverse discrimination, or whatever you want to call it) the nation offered, they, too, had resentments that never went away — in part because of people like the parking-lot woman. Those resentments often led to more, not fewer, charges of racism as the years passed — charges of institutional racism and “white privilege.”

Quote:
And how naive an adult could be. The birther imaginings about Barack Obama? Just a silly conspiracy theory, latched onto by an attention seeker who has a peculiar penchant for them. The “Mexican” Judge Gonzalo P. Curiel incident? Asinine, inappropriate, a terrible attack on the judiciary by an egocentric man who imagined that the judge didn’t like him. The white supremacists’ march in Charlottesville? The president’s comments were absolutely idiotic, but he couldn’t possibly have been referring to those self-described Nazis as “good people”; in his sloppy, inarticulate way, he was referring to both sides of the debate over Civil War statues, and venting his anger about being criticized.

No, I thought, President Trump was boorish, dim-witted, inarticulate, incoherent, narcissistic and insensitive. He’s a pathetic bully but an equal-opportunity bully — in his uniquely crass and crude manner, he’ll attack anyone he thinks is critical of him. No matter how much I found him ultimately unfit, I still gave him the benefit of the doubt about being a racist. No matter how much I came to dislike him, I didn’t want to think that the president of the United States is a racial bigot.

But Sunday left no doubt. Naivete, resentment and outright racism, roiled in a toxic mix, have given us a racist president. Trump could have used vile slurs, including the vilest of them all, and the intent and effect would have been no less clear. Telling four non-white members of Congress — American citizens all, three natural-born — to “go back” to the “countries” they “originally came from”? That’s racist to the core. It doesn’t matter what these representatives are for or against — and there’s plenty to criticize them for — it’s beyond the bounds of human decency. For anyone, not least a president.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
To this day, I can remember almost the precise spot where it happened: a supermarket parking lot in eastern Massachusetts. It was the mid-1970s; I was not yet a teenager, or barely one. I don’t remember exactly what precipitated the woman’s ire. But I will never forget what she said to my mother, who had come to this country from the Philippines decades before. In these words or something close, the woman said, “Go back to your country.”

I remember the incident well, but it never bothered me all that much. Nor did racial slurs, which, thankfully, were rare. None of it was troublesome, to my mind, because most Americans weren’t like that. The woman in the parking lot was just a boor, an ignoramus, an aberration. America promised equality. Its constitution said so. My schoolbooks said so. The country wasn’t perfect, to be sure. But its ideals were. And every day brought us closer to those ideals.

Quote:
How naive a child could be. The woman in the parking lot — there were many more like her, it turned out. They never went away. Today they attend rallies, and they post ugliness on Facebook or Twitter. As for the victims of historic racial oppression, no matter how much affirmative action (or reverse discrimination, or whatever you want to call it) the nation offered, they, too, had resentments that never went away — in part because of people like the parking-lot woman. Those resentments often led to more, not fewer, charges of racism as the years passed — charges of institutional racism and “white privilege.”

Quote:
And how naive an adult could be. The birther imaginings about Barack Obama? Just a silly conspiracy theory, latched onto by an attention seeker who has a peculiar penchant for them. The “Mexican” Judge Gonzalo P. Curiel incident? Asinine, inappropriate, a terrible attack on the judiciary by an egocentric man who imagined that the judge didn’t like him. The white supremacists’ march in Charlottesville? The president’s comments were absolutely idiotic, but he couldn’t possibly have been referring to those self-described Nazis as “good people”; in his sloppy, inarticulate way, he was referring to both sides of the debate over Civil War statues, and venting his anger about being criticized.

No, I thought, President Trump was boorish, dim-witted, inarticulate, incoherent, narcissistic and insensitive. He’s a pathetic bully but an equal-opportunity bully — in his uniquely crass and crude manner, he’ll attack anyone he thinks is critical of him. No matter how much I found him ultimately unfit, I still gave him the benefit of the doubt about being a racist. No matter how much I came to dislike him, I didn’t want to think that the president of the United States is a racial bigot.

But Sunday left no doubt. Naivete, resentment and outright racism, roiled in a toxic mix, have given us a racist president. Trump could have used vile slurs, including the vilest of them all, and the intent and effect would have been no less clear. Telling four non-white members of Congress — American citizens all, three natural-born — to “go back” to the “countries” they “originally came from”? That’s racist to the core. It doesn’t matter what these representatives are for or against — and there’s plenty to criticize them for — it’s beyond the bounds of human decency. For anyone, not least a president.

So how can dems fight this and not let it be the week's headline then poof, moving on to another headline?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

Democrats in the House are going to vote to censure Trump explicitly calling out his racism and bigotry. That's only happened a couple of times in U.S. History. So it's not nothing.

Quote:
Kyle Griffin

Rep. Steve Cohen has introduced H. Res. 490, a resolution of censure against Trump "for his racist and xenophobic comments" about Reps. Omar, Ocasio-Cortez, Tlaib, and Pressley.

link
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Democrats in the House are going to vote to censure Trump explicitly calling out his racism and bigotry. That's only happened a couple of times in U.S. History. So it's not nothing.

Quote:
Kyle Griffin

Rep. Steve Cohen has introduced H. Res. 490, a resolution of censure against Trump "for his racist and xenophobic comments" about Reps. Omar, Ocasio-Cortez, Tlaib, and Pressley.

link

And the "Gentleman" from Georgia moved to have Pelosi's comments taken from the record.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Their lovemaking sesssions mus...
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Their lovemaking sesssions mus...

Well, I don't care about their love life, but there's a reason Kellyanne has been appearing on TV for more than twenty years, always introduced as some sort of "pollster" even though she does no polling. She is a survivor while many other pundits from the late 90s, early 2000s are forgotten. She doesn't act in good faith and can morph into anything. In this case, she pretends to be a Trumper. After Trump is gone and Trumpism loses its luster, she'll pretend she's some other kind of Republican. Who the heck knows what really believes in (maybe, in private, she agrees with the husband), but she loves the limelight. And in the end, whether his people believe in the crap he spreads or they just do it for the money/power, they're all enablers, so it's all the same.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Well, I don't care about their love life, but there's a reason Kellyanne has been appearing on TV for more than twenty years, always introduced as some sort of "pollster" even though she does no polling. She is a survivor while many other pundits from the late 90s, early 2000s are forgotten. She doesn't act in good faith and can morph into anything. In this case, she pretends to be a Trumper. After Trump is gone and Trumpism loses its luster, she'll pretend she's some other kind of Republican. Who the heck knows what really believes in (maybe, in private, she agrees with the husband), but she loves the limelight. And in the end, whether his people believe in the crap he spreads or they just do it for the money/power, they're all enablers, so it's all the same.

She is the best at what she does. Says anything with a straight face, takes punches and will conform to whatever needs to be done/said, morality not withstanding

Spin Master
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Watching CSPAN voting on motion to strike words from the record Tally as of this post 183 YEA 204 NAY. NAY 204

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jeffrey Epstein, the wealthy financier charged with sex trafficking, reportedly bragged he was the one who introduced Donald and Melania Trump

https://www.businessinsider.com/jeffrey-epstein-reportedly-bragged-he-introduced-trump-to-melania-2019-7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1614, 1615, 1616 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1615 of 3671
Jump to: