THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1581, 1582, 1583 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Former Miss Indiana University alleges she was sexually assaulted by Donald Trump

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/indiana/2019/06/23/former-miss-indiana-university-says-donald-trump-sexually-assaulted-her-new-york-city/1540699001/

This comment online after the Carroll allegation sums Trump up very well.

Quote:
She's a liar. And her. And her. And them. And my ex. And her. And her. And her. And them. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And me. I lied about assaulting women. Actually I never said that thing you heard on tape, and I never met that woman you have photographs of me meeting.

Believe me, would I lie to you?

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/06/20/pulse-of-the-people-democrat-trump-voter-panel-newday-camerota-vpx.cnn

These CNN panels are always depressing. How anyone could vote for both Obama and Trump is truly mind-boggling, but that the last guy speaking, could vote for Obama -- thinking that immigrants, upon seeking asylum according to our own laws, are breaking the law -- does not give me much hope that the average voter knows what the frick is going on, or even worse, chooses to live in a bubble.

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that half of ‘em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject:

https://www.axios.com/leaked-donald-trump-vetting-docs-hbo-6ce3cd26-1eb9-4da8-b15e-47b56020aef7.html
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/06/20/pulse-of-the-people-democrat-trump-voter-panel-newday-camerota-vpx.cnn

These CNN panels are always depressing. How anyone could vote for both Obama and Trump is truly mind-boggling, but that the last guy speaking, could vote for Obama -- thinking that immigrants, upon seeking asylum according to our own laws, are breaking the law -- does not give me much hope that the average voter knows what the frick is going on, or even worse, chooses to live in a bubble.

The thing that I find baffling and alarming is that group. And I met one the other evening at a friend's BBQ. A small group of us were talking and the topic turned to the current political climate. One person in the group went on to say that he doesn't much attention to any of it because he's "not into politics" and that it's all "too negative and divisive". He basically feels that the anti-Trump sentiment just stems from people being upset that Hilary lost and the media is just stirring the pot with political nonsense. for ratings He said he isn't necessarily pro-Trump, and from the things he said and the way he said them, I think he was being honest. He essentially said that none of what goes on really affects him and the Presidential office is just kind of temporary position of ceremony and the country is really run by the House and Senate and it's all just a revolving door - basically "it all evens out in the end". He's one of those people who voted for Trump because he was "the outsider" and thus wasn't going to be "too partisan or political". His position was that the economy, at least as it relates to him and what he is experiencing, is just fine as is the country as a whole. Internationally, it's all good because the US should be a strong independent entity that's not obligated to any other nations and other nations should respect that. When immigration was brought up, his position was that people need to do things legally wherever they are from and that the stories of the improprieties at detention centers were obviously big exaggerations because the US would never do anything like that. He figures he'll vote for Trump again because "why not and things are fine" and the only person on the Dem side who might be able to do the job was Biden, but he's just the same old thing. I think we were all too stunned to press him too hard because he clearly was just blissfully unaware of what is really going on and what he was saying.

I still kind of find myself reeling a bit thinking back on the conversation. It wasn't so much a function of cluelessness nor not giving a (bleep). It was just "what's the big deal. All's good" in his world. it's the very essence of living in a bubble. This was a guy who just doesn't pay attention because he feels it's not important to him and feels there is nothing really at stake for anyone else because he's under this bizarre expectation that things just work out and he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about as a result . . . the scary part is he votes and I know he's just one of many of his type who do.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
She's a liar. And her. And her. And them. And my ex. And her. And her. And her. And them. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And her. And me. I lied about assaulting women. Actually I never said that thing you heard on tape, and I never met that woman you have photographs of me meeting.

Believe me, would I lie to you?

That's not even an exaggeration for effect. I think the only thing what would make it more accurate is if the words "and I would never have assaulted her . . . I mean have you seen her? Have you seen her? I'm telling you people . . . not pretty . . . not pretty . . . would never have done that . . ." were added
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that half of ‘em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

RIP George, 11 years ago today
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:

RIP George, 11 years ago today

Has it only been 11 years? It feels that we have lived under the void of his absence for far longer than that. Miss that guy's wisdom tremendously and often wonder what he'd be saying these days - and part of me thinks maybe it's better for him that he doesn't have to suffer through this mindbending BS.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

All the men voted for Trump. Shocker.
I was listening to a Republican pollster talk on the 538 podcast and he basically said that (in his view) Trump has room for growth among black and Latino men. I can see that now.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A White House visit for Raptors is a ‘hard no,’ Danny Green says

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/06/23/white-house-visit-raptors-is-hard-pass-danny-green-says/
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Here's a thread about how white people have voted, and how white men have voted for the last 50 or so years. Spoiler alert: the majority don't vote Democratic, even when the candidate is a white man:

link

Quote:
Victoria Brownworth #PrideMonth 🏳️‍🌈 @VABVOX (journalist)

Folks are confused about the Democratic base & voting demographic, for which I blame journalists less honest than I am.

White male voters have not voted majority Democratic since 1964. In 2016 they voted 31% for Hillary, in 2012 they voted 29% for Obama.
Stop chasing that vote.

Quote:
No Dem pres candidate has won overall white vote since '64. I'm hoping white women will vote majority Dem in 2020. I don't know what's wrong w/ us white men. The Republicans have nothing to offer anyone- not even the top few if you take a long view (need clean planet, customers)

Quote:
As I had written about extensively. But in 2016 white men voted 69% for Trump. White women voted 52% for Trump. Easier to convince 3% of Dem white women to vote Dem than 20% of white men to change their votes.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject:

There’s a flaw in that math about convincing 3 percent of white women vs 20% of white men. That would just give you a majority of women, but since their numbers are about equal, a 3% shift in males would accomplish the same numbers overall.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Look who else thinks that moderate suburban women are better targets as swing voters:

Quote:
Eliana Johnson Verified account @elianayjohnson

.@wsj publishes op-ed pushing Trump-Haley ticket in 2020 on the theory Haley would help POTUS win over moderate suburban women -

As Maggie Haberman of NYT noted, the WSJ wouldn't publish that op-ed without Rupert Murdoch's okay. He and Trump are friends (in addition to Fox News being his own state-run TV).
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
There’s a flaw in that math about convincing 3 percent of white women vs 20% of white men. That would just give you a majority of women, but since their numbers are about equal, a 3% shift in males would accomplish the same numbers overall.

I think she was responding to the paragraph above that quote (which was a comment from another poster) about the possibility of white women shifting to over 50% for Dems in 2020. That may not have been clear. But I get your overall point on the math.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Make America Great Again: This awesome illustration is perfectly executed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/23/politics/bernie-sanders-student-loan-debt-cancellation/index.html

On Monday, Sanders will submit legislation that cancels $1.6 trillion of student loan undergraduate and graduate debt for approximately 45 million people. His ambitious plan has no eligibility limitations and would be paid for with a new tax on Wall Street speculation.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/23/politics/bernie-sanders-student-loan-debt-cancellation/index.html

On Monday, Sanders will submit legislation that cancels $1.6 trillion of student loan undergraduate and graduate debt for approximately 45 million people. His ambitious plan has no eligibility limitations and would be paid for with a new tax on Wall Street speculation.

I’m sure that somewhere there is some math where this pencils out as a good thing to do for the economy. Would love to see that. Intuitively, saddling a generation with insane amounts of debt just to go to college can’t be a good thing.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

DOA. McConnell will never allow a vote on this.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
governator wrote:

Yeah, it’s more realistic for 2020 instead of 2019 but interesting that Bernie’s plan doesn’t have income requirements. This will help a lot of high paying jobs (doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc) that usually also saddled with the biggest ant of loans (grad school more expensive and length of schools)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
governator wrote:

Yeah, it’s more realistic for 2020 instead of 2019 but interesting that Bernie’s plan doesn’t have income requirements. This will help a lot of high paying jobs (doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc) that usually also saddled with the biggest ant of loans (grad school more expensive and length of schools)

And I’m sure they will all pass some of that along in the form of lower fees and charges. Amirite.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
governator wrote:

And I’m sure they will all pass some of that along in the form of lower fees and charges. Amirite.

Doubt it, the fees and charges aren’t determined by doctors but bargained by congress and insurance companies not named Medicare. Unless your doctor is a cash only docs then maybe

Lawyers on the other hand set they’re own fees
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
governator wrote:

Doubt it, the fees and charges aren’t determined by doctors but bargained by congress and insurance companies not named Medicare. Unless your doctor is a cash only docs then maybe

Yes, doctors have no say in how and how much they are paid. That’s why they are so poor. It’s not like they have one of the most powerful bargaining arms in the system.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
governator wrote:

Yes, doctors have no say in how and how much they are paid. That’s why they are so poor. It’s not like they have one of the most powerful bargaining arms in the system.

Sounds like you have a gripe with the medical professions. There’s definitely specialties that make a lot of money but most primary care physicians (internal medicine, pediatric, family practice) which is the bulk of doctors make around $160-$280 thousands per year after 4 yrs college+4yrs medical school+3-4 years of residency training. What would be a fair income for doctors? Remember 8% of health care expenditure goes to providers (doctors and dentists alike)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

I have a gripe with the medical system, and while the providers themselves are way down the list of my gripes, I get a little tired of hearing about a highly competitive and desirable career, that is kept artificially scarce in order to keep incomes high, being such victims of and completely outside of what’s wrong with the system.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I have a tribe with the medical system, and while the providers themselves are way down the list of my gripes, I get a little tired of hearing about a highly competitive and desirable career, that is kept artificially scarce in order to keep incomes high, being such victims of and completely outside of what’s wrong with the system.

I don’t blame you for feeling that way, certainly needs to be fixed and you’re absolutely right, the US doesn’t produce enough medical school graduates to even fill all the residency training spots, almost a third are filled by foreign medical graduates. In the past couple decades, only osteopathic medical schools have expanded, allopathic (MD degree granting schools) have not... the question of if doctor individually has earned his/her high income is another topic. But the bulk of medical cost are in pharmaceutical, hospitals and other non-provider medical services. So yeah whole system needs an overhaul.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

Do you like Warren’s plan of student loan erasement but with income requirements or Bernie’s (all student loans)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1581, 1582, 1583 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1582 of 3663
Jump to: