THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1570, 1571, 1572 ... 3672, 3673, 3674  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Katie Porter was on Bill Maher last night and she had something to say about Joe Biden's statement on the Hyde Amendment:

https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/1137361182757720064

Just when I thought I couldn't love her more. I hope she runs for President some day.

Our heads at UCI are already big enough as it is....but sure!

I'm sure you'd have your pick of cabinet positions.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Bill Maher has turned into such an (bleep) lately that it's almost insufferable.

Yep, and you can remove the "almost" part.

why? became too centrist?

He's a pompous, pretentious, smug, arrogant, condescending ahole who is nowhere near as interesting as he professes to be. It just ruins any sense of reasonable discussion.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Bill Maher has turned into such an (bleep) lately that it's almost insufferable.

He's a pompous, pretentious, smug, arrogant, condescending ahole who is nowhere near as interesting as he professes to be. It just ruins any sense of reasonable discussion.

I love the guy.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I love the guy.

+1

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jared Yates Sexton Verified account @JYSexton

In researching fascism for my next book I found a pretty unknown story of how an angry, white-identity strain of Christianity was co-opted by the Nazis to create a political cult.

Spoiler: it...well...it looks a lot like America.

Quote:
So. Let's talk about the little known story of how Nazis used a strain of angry, white-identity Christianity and transferred reverence of Jesus to Adolf Hitler, thus cementing a political-fascist-religious cult, and how that might remind you of what's happening right now... 1/

This was really surprising to me. The story I've always been told is that Nazis were extremely anti-religious and pop-culture shows them consistently destroying religious idols, suppressing religion. But the truth is that they co-opted a strain called Positive Christianity. 2/

Positive Christianity was a strain of racist Christianity in which the New Testament was emphasized and the Old Testament cast aside for its Jewish roots. They heralded Christ as an Aryan and saw his life as testament to Jewish evil. 3/

In Positive Christianity Jesus was depicted as being blonde and having blue eyes. He was the pinnacle of Aryan idealization. The story of him throwing the money changers out of the temple was seen as the first Anti-Semitic action, and the anger as a cue for war. 4/

Hitler would speak out against religion, but before he became the Fuhrer he would often call himself a Christian, made several references to fighting for the Lord, framed Jesus as an Aryan, and tied himself to Positive Christianity until he became synonymous with it. 5/

All right, so let's get upsetting. Positive Christianity was a strain of Christianity in which the leaders would continually claim that God was punishing the country for its sins. It's why they lost WWI, why they were suffering depression, they needed to repent. 6/

Positive Christian leaders accepted Hitler, despite his anger, despite his actions, because he was a fighter. They saw him as the right person to fight against cultural decay. They forgave him his mistakes and his behavior because they wanted a champion. 7/

For years the Nazi swastika appeared next to Christian symbols. They were interchangeable, part of the same movement. That is, until the Nazis decided they didn't need the Christian concept anymore and took it over completely. 8/

In 1937, it was announced to religious leaders that Positive Christianity and Christianity weren't needed anymore. Here's why: Hitler owned "the new revelation." That's right. He became the Christian messiah in the movement, thus negating the need for Christ. 9/

This takeover meant that, around Hitler, it wasn't just a secular control, it was religious. The Nazis were a literal religious cult in which the leader held the revelation, meaning he could never be questioned and any actions would be warranted based on doctrine. 10/

The Christian symbols fell by the wayside. Nazi flags and symbols replaced them, but were imbued with the same power and meaning because, to the followers, they were the same as the Christian symbols. It was a religion, not a movement, and the leaders accepted it wholesale. 11/

And what happens is that Hitler, as the leader of the cult, can lie however he wants, he can contradict himself fully whenever he needs to, and it can't be questioned, because his word is doctrine. He's the champion, the messiah, the leader of the faith. 12/

And what can we learn? That we have to stop looking at religion and secular/political concerns as walled off from one another. Religious groups can transfer faith and power at a moment's notice, especially if they feel threatened and if there's something to gain. 13/

The Aryan-izing of Jesus has existed for forever, but the iteration of American far-right Christianity reflects SO MUCH of what happened in Nazi Germany. It's identity politics and mobilization, the politicization and harnessing of a religion for political/fascist purposes 14/

Link to thread
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I love the guy.

Good for you.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I still think Alfred E Newman is do gonna some more ass kicking via subtlety

I hope he is genuinely running to win and not just doing a positive publicity stunt for his lifestyle

Long ago I had a turbo brained friend with a full ride scholarship for nuclear engineering

He taught me the word Pragmatic. Pete solves problems with his dual gendered heart ..deeper thinker

While Trump treats them like murderers and rapists and like Palestinians Mayor Pete used compassion and empathy. A Oneness
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1015251
Buttigieg's big accomplishment that he never mentions on the campaign trail
Quote:

une 8, 2019, 8:01 AM ET
By Adam Edelman
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — It was 2016 and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg had a problem.

Wanting to coax the small city's approximately 4,500 undocumented immigrants out of the shadows to help them access services, Buttigieg toyed with the idea of some type of municipal identification card for those who couldn't obtain driver's licenses or other government ID's.

The result was an innovative, first-of-its-kind governmentally endorsed, privately run program — one Buttigieg could tout on the presidential primary campaign trail where Latinos are a key voting group. But he never does.

Working closely with La Casa de Amistad, South Bend's main Latino outreach center, Buttigieg and the nonprofit's executive director, Sam Centellas, imagined a "Community Resident Card" program in which the IDs would be paid for, created and distributed by the group — a private organization — not the city.

]Buttigieg's part to make it all work was to sign an executive order requiring local services and institutions — like law enforcement, schools, the water utility and libraries — to accept the card as a valid form of identification. The city also enlisted local businesses, such as financial institutions and drugstores, so cardholders could open bank accounts and pick up prescriptions

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

One more reason to despise the leader of the Republican Party who said China will pay for his tariffs. I just got this today, as I purchase these to store the many posters and handbills I collect:

Quote:

Dear Valued Customers,

The United States Government recently imposed a 25% tariff on imported plastics. As much of our production is located overseas, this tariff applies to products manufactured in our factory in China. Thus, ClearBags has increased prices slightly on affected items to help offset this large cost increase.

What do we mean by "slightly"?

We know one of the main reasons our customers love us is because we provide high-quality products at wholesale prices. We want to make sure it stays that way. We have decided to only increase prices to you, our customers, by 2-4% on most affected items, with a handful of outliers higher than that. We will do this by absorbing some of the added cost ourselves and by negotiating with suppliers on our customer's behalf.

Who does the tariff affect?

Unfortunately, tariffs affect us as consumers the most. This tariff applies to almost all overseas packaging manufacturers and distributors. It is likely you will see similar price increases from many companies you buy from.

When does it start?

The ClearBags price increase went into effect on Friday, June 7. Any orders (custom or stock) placed before the increase will get the pricing listed at the time of purchase.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

25%?

Make all ALL plastic used in the USA to go up by 25%

Americans first eh to get (bleep) over. This should be enough to end his reelection possibilities

Back when at uoforegon I realized the whole US political system was just frat boys finding ways to sexually assault the poors, minoroties, and immigrants at every turn
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Katie Porter was on Bill Maher last night and she had something to say about Joe Biden's statement on the Hyde Amendment:

https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/1137361182757720064

Just when I thought I couldn't love her more. I hope she runs for President some day.

Our heads at UCI are already big enough as it is....but sure!

I'm sure you'd have your pick of cabinet positions.

Win-win.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
25%?

Make all ALL plastic used in the USA to go up by 25%

Americans first eh to get (bleep) over. This should be enough to end his reelection possibilities

Back when at uoforegon I realized the whole US political system was just frat boys finding ways to sexually assault the poors, minoroties, and immigrants at every turn

This is but another check on the list of incompetency. It won't move the needle. Trumps base will stand firm in his sordid corner.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I love the guy.

He's got a fairly strong voice for a comedian, so much that he doesn't always get the leeway that fellows on the brassier side of comedy are generally granted about certain subjects. He was the first and only person on TV telling the Dem candidates to go on Fox and that they're gonna have to go to places that the party apparatus has avoided. Not just that. He was the first to decry the "thoughts and prayers" BS after mass shootings and is still the most vocal behind that. He has done a yeoman's job of calling out the left for its own intolerance. He has been the most vocal champion of atheists for a long time. He's an (bleep), yes, but he's the kind who'd take that as a compliment, tbh.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I love the guy.

He's got a fairly strong voice for a comedian, so much that he doesn't always get the leeway that fellows on the brassier side of comedy are generally granted about certain subjects. He was the first and only person on TV telling the Dem candidates to go on Fox and that they're gonna have to go to places that the party apparatus has avoided. Not just that. He was the first to decry the "thoughts and prayers" BS after mass shootings and is still the most vocal behind that. He has done a yeoman's job of calling out the left for its own intolerance. He has been the most vocal champion of atheists for a long time. He's an (bleep), yes, but he's the kind who'd take that as a compliment, tbh.

I should say that I don't take issue with most of the things he addresses and is a proponent of. It's the needless and unproductive condescension etc. that I feel detracts from his message and the show. And I am aware that he proudly wears the metaphorical a-hole hat withe same misplaced bravado of the MAGA hat wearers, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

GOP Attack on Women Number 3,987: Breast feeding

A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.

When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

Bills position is somewhat unique. He says things those on the left want to but could be politically damaged if they did.

Does he sometimes err, of course. Bill, like all of us, is prone to mistake. I'm a democrat so I'm biased.

Seldom is he at a lost for words as he was when Katie Porter dropped the bomb about his mother having him against doctors advice and we are suffering the consequences of that decision. His jaw literally dropped. She took a page out of his book, it really caught him by surprise.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.

When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

Trump really appears to have let the Christian groups have free reign at so many different levels in so many areas. I feel like his bluster and the Russia collusion stories and his response is providing the cover to what is happening at the nitty-gritty level. He talks about Christians being unfairly treated but I don't see too much news about what is happening on the ground in these matters too often. Between this and DeVos for education and probably plenty of other areas, there's maybe a quiet takeover on the ground. Abortion is obvious, but maybe there are a ton of not so obvious. This post makes me think how deep their influence must be if they feel so much free reign that they can run around international orgs to fight friggin misleading marketing of breast feeding. Media should report on what's going on at the lesser reported agencies to see what's really happening.

Interesting article otherwise too.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

Bad times.
Trump just called for 20 year sentences for anyone who protests oil pipelines

I sometimes believe there are even bigger conspiracies at play

What is Oxytocin and how is it most abundantly produced

It's the love drug that is built through bonding of mother/father newborn child etc

I am guessing a infant experiences this oxytocin bonding connection during breastfeeding at higher rates than any other event

Capitalism with no morals or values is a (bleep) scourge of the whole of existence

Anyone remember John Ashcroft and his fear of boobs?
Republicans = American Mullahs
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

I'm only at the introduction read by the second witness, Joyce Van Royce, but this and Dean's introduction, alone, will provide some interesting highlights should any of the NEWS networks so choose.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?461399-1/john-dean-testifies-lessons-learned-mueller-report&live&vod
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

The hearing, or at least half of it, is largely just a rehashing of all the many Rachel Maddow shows, but here, it is for a much wider audience.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

^^Hoping the old Qtips with a conscience tune in and see it all Barred in their faces

*Qtips .. old gray hairs
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I wasn't able to read the article. I don't want to subscribe to the Times. I downloaded another link. I think it says about the same thing.

The Trump administration isn’t defending women’s choices on breastfeeding. It’s attacking them.

LINK

Quote:
No one is saying that women should be stigmatized, or that they shouldn’t be able to decide for themselves. They’re simply saying that they should have all the facts. The Trump administration appears to be siding with the $70 billion baby formula industry to stop them from getting them.

“What you are seeing here is the collusion of the US government with the infant formula industry, which is very similar to the collusion of the US government with the National Rifle Association,” Rafael Perez-Escamilla, a professor at the Yale School of Public Health, told me.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I have an issue with where his focus is in Trump's America. If someone thinks political correctness is an issue complaining about week after week after what Trump has done to the political discussion in our country. That person has their priorities out of whack. Using alt right terminology like "social justice warriors" is counterproductive to moving our country forward.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I love the guy.

He can promote all those things and not be an (bleep), especially since he wants to be taken seriously as a political commentator and not just some (bleep) at a comedy club with a shtick. Ever since he was disinvited from a college due to his perceived islamophobic views, he's attacked liberals almost weekly for taking political correctness too far. And when a few guests pointed out to him that the people that find some of his views offensive are also exercising their first amendment rights, he had nothing to say. And since he's a borderline sociopath when it comes to his hatred - yes, hatred - of children, he keeps lecturing people how to raise their kids, even though he has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to that since he sleeps all day, smokes weed all night, and has never had an actual long-term relationship with anyone.

And he's also not as politically informed as he claims he is. He's regularly outmatched by guests, even conservative ones, because he doesn't study issues beyond the superficial level. With that said, I still watch his show, but increasingly because of the guests as opposed to what he has to say. The last show was a great example of that.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

In listening to the hearing today, and hearing the Republican's point of view, and how they will defend the president, I believe that getting Mueller's evidence, as well evidence beyond Mueller's reach such as related to national security or Trump's finances, is essential to moving public opinion.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I should say that I don't take issue with most of the things he addresses and is a proponent of. It's the needless and unproductive condescension etc. that I feel detracts from his message and the show. And I am aware that he proudly wears the metaphorical a-hole hat withe same misplaced bravado of the MAGA hat wearers, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.

I understand. He's a sour dill, he does have a smarmy delivery (I think on purpose). One I forgot to mention is that he was the first voice in the background carping about participation trophies and he kept mentioning that consistently for a few years and now you hear that sentiment all over the place. I guarantee he was the first person who used a public forum to gripe about that over and over. And that kind of subject demonstrates his attitude. Yeah, it is symptomatic of the coddling of kids for decades until they feel sheltered (he just touched on that this week). However, it's little kids getting a piece of crap trophy for Little League. And things like safe spaces and trigger warnings sound nauseating, but it's just teens learning how to use their voices. They are passionate, pimpled critters.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1570, 1571, 1572 ... 3672, 3673, 3674  Next
Page 1571 of 3674
Jump to: