THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1504, 1505, 1506 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
governator wrote:
Hmm, why is this?

“I asked President Obama not to endorse,” Biden told reporters on Thursday. “Whoever wins this nomination should win it on their own merits.”

Knowing Obama, he probably wouldn't endorse in the primary anyway and would wait until the nominee is settled by the voters. That's what he did last time. I doubt anyone would have to ask him to do that.

That's good politics. Obama doesn't want to show favoritism. Doing that may cause envy and have some candidates gang up on Joe. He's going to put boots on the ground for the chosen one.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who has raised millions of dollars during his campaigns over the years, has indicated to associates in recent days that he will be opening his vast and powerful fundraising network exclusively to Joe Biden.

Cuomo’s support could be a game changer for Biden. While the former vice president has consistently led Democratic primary polls, he has been aggressively courting donors in a bid to catch up to an already crowded primary field that has a head start in the fundraising game. New York State Board of Elections data show Cuomo has raked in $100 million in campaign contributions since he first ran for governor in 2010. At least 80 percent of his backers have given him $10,000 or more.

Cuomo’s wealthy donor network spans the country and the business world. Past donors include movie mogul Steven Spielberg, Walmart heiress Alice Walton and hedge fund titan Steve Cohen. Cuomo also has received support from companies such as Cablevision, real estate giant the Durst Organization and Canadian real estate firm Brookfield Asset Management.

Opening the Vault
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Copied from MSNBC verbatim.

OBAMA ON BIDEN

"President Obama has long said that selection Joe Biden as his running mate in 2008 was one of the best decisions he ever made. He relied on the Vice President's knowledge, insight, and judgment throughout both campaigns and the entire presidency. The two forged a special bond over the last 10 years and remain close today."

KATIE HILL
OBAMA COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR

Is this a back door endorsement for Biden. This is not from Obama it's from Katie Hill his communications director.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
governator wrote:
Hmm, why is this?

“I asked President Obama not to endorse,” Biden told reporters on Thursday. “Whoever wins this nomination should win it on their own merits.”

Knowing Obama, he probably wouldn't endorse in the primary anyway and would wait until the nominee is settled by the voters. That's what he did last time. I doubt anyone would have to ask him to do that.

That's good politics. Obama doesn't want to show favoritism. Doing that may cause envy and have some candidates gang up on Joe. He's going to put boots on the ground for the chosen one.

why would Obama care how it looks? He's not running for public office ever gain.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
governator wrote:
Hmm, why is this?

why would Obama care how it looks? He's not running for public office ever gain.

The only way he can maintain any power is to protect his ability to influence. Let's say he endorses Kamala Harris and she comes in 4th in the Primaries. In the future nobody would be yearning for his endorsement because it the final analysis, it doesn't mean much. On the other hand, say the 2 clear frontrunners going into the primary are Biden and Sanders, each at 40% in the polls - and the week before the DNC Convention he endorses Biden and Biden get's a lead that keeps widening right up to the Primary vote. Then he retains the roll of Kingmaker, and the political power in the future that goes with it.

It's always a dumb move for an ExPresident to endorse anyone early in the process because if that candidate doesn't perform well and win, then they've needlessly diluted their clout and power in the party and become essentially irrelevant.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
governator wrote:
Hmm, why is this?

It's not about his running for public office it's about not polluting the field.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Mueller Report reveals Pres. Trump’s own aides secretly plotted to try to thwart him him from firing Bob Mueller, with an elaborate plan to trick Trump through a TV appearance by one of his allies, Newsmax CEO Chris Ruddy. MSNBC Chief Legal Correspondent Ari Melber reports on one of the more bizarre and under-covered stories exposed by The Mueller Report, with supporting evidence from TV interviews and coverage at the time.

https://www.msnbc.com/the-beat-with-ari/watch/mueller-reveals-wh-plot-to-trick-trump-out-of-firing-mueller-1507995203546

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

An unscientific poll I saw on a site with pretty conservative voters

https://civicscience.com/about/

Trump 63 EW 26 u 11

Trump 56 Beto 27 u 17

Trump 47 JoeB 45 u 8

Trump 54 Bernie 36 u 10

Trump 64 Kam 25 u 11

Trump 57 Pete 25 u 17

Trump 56 Corey 30 u 14

Trump 61 Amy 26 u 13

https://www.civicscience.com/civicscience-polls/Polls
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Can you imagine being that self conscious and that self centered with a rattle trap mouth that won't stop

Must be hell
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

If you haven’t seen Biden’s campaign announcement ad, here it is:

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

Guess we'll be seeing more of Jason Sudakis on SNL this week.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

QOTD: We did not pay money for our great Otto.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Guess we'll be seeing more of Jason Sudakis on SNL this week.

let's face it...it falls way short of Baldwin's trump

of course Baldwin has a big head start...no one is near as funny as trump...comedy gold
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

Hey Joe

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Hey Joe

played real well over the video of trump pontificating this morning too
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

The Trump Campaign Conspired With the Russians. Mueller Proved It.
By the standards of a potential impeachment inquiry, the evidence is clear.

Quote:
In his first letter after receiving the Mueller report, Attorney General William Barr accurately quoted it as saying that “the investigation did not establish” that the Trump campaign “conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.”

But the opposite is also true: The Mueller report does establish that, in fact, members of the Trump campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.

How is this possible? It’s the difference between the report’s criminal prosecution standard of proof “beyond a reasonable doubt” and a lower standard — the preponderance standard of “more likely than not” — relevant for counterintelligence and general parlance about facts, and closer to the proper standard for impeachment.

There is confusion about the Mueller report’s fact-finding because he used the wrong coordination standard, obstruction probably obscured the evidence of crimes, and the summary was unclear about evidentiary standards. The report’s very high standard for legal conclusions for criminal charges was explicitly proof “beyond a reasonable doubt.” So the report did not establish crimes beyond a reasonable doubt. But it did show a preponderance of conspiracy and coordination.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

The battle begins, Warren v Biden:

Warren: Biden Sided with Credit Card Companies in passing the 2005 Bankruptcy Bill He Sponsored

Quote:
Elizabeth Warren was a law school professor. Her expertise was bankruptcy. She went into her research expecting to find that most bankruptcies were caused by personal irresponsibility, for that was the common wisdom. What she found turned her from a moderate Republican to a progressive Democrat:

These economic straits, Warren argued, were not the fault of the people who were suffering, nor was it the moral failure of a growing share of spendthrifts. No—a deregulated credit industry preyed the most on the stressed and the strained. The game was rigged.

Quote:

“Her anger at Biden didn’t abate after Bush signed the bill into law in 2005. In a post on her now-defunct ‘Warren Reports’ blog not long afterward, Warren accused Biden of ‘twisting arms to get the bankruptcy bill through Congress.’”

While it is true that many, maybe too many, Americans were using the bankruptcy laws to discharge debt, the credit card companies were charging 18% interest on money they could get for a few plus percent. They were thriving, as could be evidenced countless offers for new cards many of us were receiving. Watching a balance nearly stand still as interest payments were not that much less than the minimum required, I became so pissed at them I tore up my only card and went to a debit card, which is still the only card I have in my possession.

Last edited by ribeye on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

WATCH LIVE ON MAY 01 | 10AM ET | C-SPAN3

William Barr Testifies on Mueller Report Before Senate Judiciary Committee
Attorney General William Barr testifies before the Senate Judiciary Committee regarding the Mueller report.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Warren: Biden Sided with Credit Card Companies in passing the 2005 Bankruptcy Bill He Sponsored

Quote:
Elizabeth Warren was a law school professor. Her expertise was bankruptcy. She went into her research expecting to find that most bankruptcies were caused by personal irresponsibility, for that was the common wisdom. What she found turned her from a moderate Republican to a progressive Democrat:

These economic straits, Warren argued, were not the fault of the people who were suffering, nor was it the moral failure of a growing share of spendthrifts. No—a deregulated credit industry preyed the most on the stressed and the strained. The game was rigged.

Quote:

“Her anger at Biden didn’t abate after Bush signed the bill into law in 2005. In a post on her now-defunct ‘Warren Reports’ blog not long afterward, Warren accused Biden of ‘twisting arms to get the bankruptcy bill through Congress.’”

While it is true that many, maybe too many, Americans were using the bankruptcy laws to discharge debt, the credit card companies were charging 18% interest on money they could get for a few plus percent. They were thriving, as could be evidenced countless offers for new cards many of us were receiving. Watching a balance nearly stand still as interest payments were not that much less than the minimum required, I became so pissed at them I tore up my only card and went to a debit card, which is still the only card I have in my possession.

Biden is not the enemy...strike one
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

lol did Trump just lose himself the anti-vaxxer vote?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-measles-vaccination-they-have-get-shot-n998881
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Against Warren? Are you saying that Democrats must only say that other Democrats are sugar and spice and everything nice?

Legitimate debate is fine. Noting legitimate policy differences is also fine. Attacks, especially misleading or specious ones, or ad hominem's are what should be avoided.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s presidential campaign announced Friday that it had raised $6.3 million in its opening 24 hours, the biggest first-day haul of any 2020 candidate, easing concerns among some supporters over whether he would be able to raise the money needed to compete financially in the Democratic primary.

Biden Rakes in $6.3 million in 1st 24 Hours
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Against Warren? Are you saying that Democrats must only say that other Democrats are sugar and spice and everything nice?

Legitimate debate is fine. Noting legitimate policy differences is also fine. Attacks, especially misleading or specious ones, or ad hominem's are what should be avoided.

if it doesn't help the Dems to win the WH leave it out...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
ribeye wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

if it doesn't help the Dems to win the WH leave it out...

Yep. The best way to move forward is to move away from "attack politics". If you are a solid candidate with superior ideas discuss the merits and substance of them and let that differentiate you from your opponents. If you feel the need to sling mud at others in order to try and set yourself apart, maybe you aren't as confident and capable in your ideas as you should be.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I hope people realize that Warren's comments regarding Biden's position were from 2005 and not today. The press dug that up to create drama. Don't fall for it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1504, 1505, 1506 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 1505 of 3673
Jump to: