THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1439, 1440, 1441 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Do you think there's a remote possibly that the AG will ask trump to resign quietly if he is obviously guilty to keep the respect of the executive branch? Don't get me wrong I want the entire thing laid out on the table for everyone to see but I'm not sure this country can handle an impeachment/trial of the president.

I’d bet the house against it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The bond market is flashing its biggest recession sign since before the financial crisis

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/21/a-key-recession-indicator-just-did-something-that-hasnt-happened-in-12-years.html

I'm soooo surprised. I'm shocked beyond belief. I might have a heart attack.
WHO? Who could've predicted this??
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ocho wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
Champagne of beer... Mueller Time!

No new charges. Pretty embarrassing for Democrats.

That's a pretty shallow narrative (not saying you're shallow, just that the framing is)

I think it's a reasonable response given how much hay was made out of this for two years.

There sure was a lot of smoke, but I don't recall too many Democrats stating that Trump, for a fact, conspired with Russia. Many have said he colluded, which is beyond obvious, worthy of ALL the chatter, and is a sufficient scandal by itself to warrant ALL the criticism.

Maybe we hear different chatter but I've been hearing for two years how Mueller is going to bring the hammer down on Trump, that the walls are closing in, that Trump will be impeached, that Jared will go to prison, Don Jr will go to prison, etc. The Russia drum has been beaten loudly and consistently for two years.

Maybe some in some forums such as this, and maybe there are a few elected politicians who made such radical predictions, though I can't think of any. Also, I can't think of any hosts on any of networks who did either.

Kinda nit-picky don't ya think?

Nope. As I said, there almost certainly could never be an indictment of Trump. Also, there was collusion and a lot of circumstantial, or maybe potentially circumstantial, evidence, related to collusion and even possibly even criminal conspiracy, but as CL said, we are not at the finish line.

And I never expected one. That's not the point. The family isn't protected. The fact that there are no further indictments (sealed or otherwise) coming out of this investigation and that the ones that have come have brought very little in the way of mean in meaningful punishment is indicative that the report is underwhelming in its substance, to put it kindly.

The sell was hard for what is being delivered , that is undeniable. This idea that the meal will come later and it will erase the sparse serving now on the table is flawed, because if there was anything meaningful to come later, there would have been much more meat on the table and less promise of dessert later.

It has become clearly obvious over time that no matter how guilty the Trumps undeniably are, there's not enough to make them pay criminally. And I don't think that's going to be any different with a "change of venue" to the SDNY.

No one named Trump is ever going to face trial, much less be convicted and serve time. Not because they aren't guilty, but because there's not the evidence to support it. If there was, the Mueller investigation wouldn't have resulted in what is essentially a punt.

Unless Mueller moved it to preserve indictments until after Trump can’t pardon them.

Maybe the non-indictment creates an image of lack of pizzazz on the report but your boy trump hasn’t tweet about it yet and it’s been a minute... he’s read it, maybe jokes over
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject:

I like people who weren't captured by Russian intelligence to run my country...just sayin
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

And I never expected one. That's not the point. The family isn't protected. The fact that there are no further indictments (sealed or otherwise) coming out of this investigation and that the ones that have come have brought very little in the way of mean in meaningful punishment is indicative that the report is underwhelming in its substance, to put it kindly.

The sell was hard for what is being delivered , that is undeniable. This idea that the meal will come later and it will erase the sparse serving now on the table is flawed, because if there was anything meaningful to come later, there would have been much more meat on the table and less promise of dessert later.

It has become clearly obvious over time that no matter how guilty the Trumps undeniably are, there's not enough to make them pay criminally. And I don't think that's going to be any different with a "change of venue" to the SDNY.

No one named Trump is ever going to face trial, much less be convicted and serve time. Not because they aren't guilty, but because there's not the evidence to support it. If there was, the Mueller investigation wouldn't have resulted in what is essentially a punt.

I won't say that there was not a soul who stated they expected indictments, but this certainly was not the rule. What I heard from Democrats was they wanted an honest investigation, that this will be difficult to prove, but let's see what comes of it. And plenty came, which you conveniently ignore. What didn't come has been held back by Manafort and Stone. They are willing to go to jail (for about 33 seconds until Trump pardons them--in which, if there was such an arrangement to this effect, it would also be very difficult to prove). Sure we hoped they would find the smoking gun, but Trump, Republicans, and his team blocked, dodged, obfuscated, stacked the deck, possibly threatened or promised, and lied to stymie the investigation. But hoping is not the same as expecting. I have gone so far to say that I can't see an American jury convicting Trump.

You seem to be certain--you seem to have a lot certainty about a lot--that no one named Trump, which I assume also means Kushner, will be tried. I think this is a reasonable assessment, at least having a general expectation, as it always has been, but I don't share in your certainty.

Also, though I expect the Justice Department, including the FBI, to be honorable in this, I have always found the criticism by Trump of many of its leaders to be against him to be a joke, really nothing more than projection. After all, I don't think there is a Democrat among the decision makers here, and my understanding is that most in law enforcement are Republican. Also, Republicans, in general, share the Federalist belief of the imperial presidency--at least when a Republican is in the White House. As such, a bias could be built in to protect the presidency, just as the SCOTUS bias was built in when they visited and ruled on Bush v Gore.

Lastly, I wonder if you stated you agreed that Republicans should be embarrassed that the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform's conclusion, which came after an FBI and the Accountability Review Board's investigations, that Hillary or the Obama administration, and I am paraphrasing here, never found evidence of scandal, cover-up and lying regarding the Benghazi attack and its aftermath. I could list the other seven investigations, but in general, did you agree that Republicans should be embarrassed after investigation, upon investigation, upon investigation, they never got their man (or woman as this progressed).
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
The bond market is flashing its biggest recession sign since before the financial crisis

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/21/a-key-recession-indicator-just-did-something-that-hasnt-happened-in-12-years.html

Have no fear, the always wrong Steven Moore was just nominated to the Fed.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The Lemon was a lemon from the get go. I don't see this introducing buyers remorse into anyone who made the purchase in the first place. As you point out, it's time to quit waiting on the politicians and lawyers to do anything. Time for Dems to come together and make the most of their monopoly of votes. Hopefully we can do so without tearing away at our various candidates the way we have insisted on doing in the first stage of this election cycle.

Backfire effect. Those who drank the kook-aid (I meant to type "kool-aid," but I mistyped & saw I liked it this way better) will just dig-in their heels and rationalize away anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Have no fear, the always wrong Steven Moore was just nominated to the Fed.

If Trump isn't intentionally sabotaging our country from the inside out via orders from Putin
Then he really is a failure at business

Was it $800,000,000,000 that Trump overspent already

And the tax cuts mean significantly less revenue to cover the overspending

Daily Nightmare having this creep in charge. If our legal system wasnt so weak he would have been incarcerated long ago for tax fraud
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Unless Mueller moved it to preserve indictments until after Trump can’t pardon them.

There aren’t any sealed indictments though.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Not by Mueller.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Not by Mueller.

this story from last month...

Quote:
Nearly three dozen sealed criminal indictments have been added to the federal court docket in Washington, D.C. since the start of 2018....---.....

And the inadvertent discovery on Thursday night of what appear to be secret charges pending against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has drawn fresh attention to the mystery.....---....

If any of those sealed indictments came from Mueller’s team, it was wise on the part of prosecutors to submit them prior to the midterm elections. The Special Counsel can only indict someone with the approval of the attorney general. Prior to the midterms, Deputy AG Rosenstein was overseeing the investigation. On the day after the elections, Trump appointed Matt Whitaker as Acting Attorney General. He would have been the one to approve any indictments since November, with AG Barr taking over the responsibility after he was confirmed last week

Are Sealed Indictments Mueller’s Backstop?
by Nancy LeTourneau February 21, 2019

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2019/02/21/are-sealed-indictments-muellers-backstop/
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Barr is no longer expected to send summary to Congress today.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Barr is no longer expected to send summary to Congress today.

What, Trump's lawyers have not signed off on what he can say?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

This is embarrassing for Democrats Pt2:

Quote:
On MSNBC this morning, Joy Reid talked with her panel about what Attorney General Bill Barr will ultimately do now that he’s reviewing the full Mueller report, even suggesting possible “seeds of a cover-up.”

“The fact that this investigation takes place within the Justice Department, which Donald Trump essentially controls, and that he got rid of the problem, Jeff Sessions, who––the one decent thing that he did was just recuse himself. This guy is not recused. It feels like the seeds of a cover-up are here.”

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:
On MSNBC this morning, Joy Reid talked with her panel about what Attorney General Bill Barr will ultimately do now that he’s reviewing the full Mueller report, even suggesting possible “seeds of a cover-up.”

“The fact that this investigation takes place within the Justice Department, which Donald Trump essentially controls, and that he got rid of the problem, Jeff Sessions, who––the one decent thing that he did was just recuse himself. This guy is not recused. It feels like the seeds of a cover-up are here.”

It's a fair question considering the circumstances.

Since you want to paint with such a broad brush in criticizing Democrats, let me ask you this question as well:

I wonder if you stated that the Republicans should be embarrassed that the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform's conclusion, which came after an FBI and the Accountability Review Board's investigations, that Hillary or the Obama administration, and I am paraphrasing here, never found evidence of scandal, cover-up and lying regarding the Benghazi attack and its aftermath. I could list the other seven investigations, but in general, did you state that Republicans should be embarrassed after investigation, upon investigation, upon investigation, they never got their man (or woman as this progressed).
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Well, there is a greater than zero chance that Barr would be involved in a cover up. Trump appointed him, Republicans voted for him. It doesn't mean that there is a cover up, but it's possible. Let's not forget we're dealing with a bunch of authoritarians.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Since you want to paint with such a broad brush in criticizing Democrats, let me ask you this question as well:

I wonder if you stated that the Republicans should be embarrassed that the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform's conclusion, which came after an FBI and the Accountability Review Board's investigations, that Hillary or the Obama administration, and I am paraphrasing here, never found evidence of scandal, cover-up and lying regarding the Benghazi attack and its aftermath. I could list the other seven investigations, but in general, did you state that Republicans should be embarrassed after investigation, upon investigation, upon investigation, they never got their man (or woman as this progressed).

I absolutely think Republicans should be embarrassed for overblowing, overhyping, and peddling conspiracy theories about Benghazi. I'd like for our side to avoid that behavior, not reproduce it. The MSNBC talking heads pumped up the Mueller investigation for two years and now that it didn't produce the results they were hoping for it's because it's a cover up? Based on what exactly? And from Joy Reid of all people? You're proud of this discourse?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

I won't say that there was not a soul who stated they expected indictments, but this certainly was not the rule. What I heard from Democrats was they wanted an honest investigation, that this will be difficult to prove, but let's see what comes of it. And plenty came, which you conveniently ignore. What didn't come has been held back by Manafort and Stone. They are willing to go to jail (for about 33 seconds until Trump pardons them--in which, if there was such an arrangement to this effect, it would also be very difficult to prove). Sure we hoped they would find the smoking gun, but Trump, Republicans, and his team blocked, dodged, obfuscated, stacked the deck, possibly threatened or promised, and lied to stymie the investigation. But hoping is not the same as expecting. I have gone so far to say that I can't see an American jury convicting Trump.

Afaik Democratic politicians were pretty even-keeled about the thing. But the Democratic base was not. And probably the talking heads although I wouldn't know since I don't listen to them. And standards are set so low for Trump that anything short of collusion is seen as redemptive.

The Stormy Daniels stuff alone should be enough for impeachment. Plus the obstruction of justice stuff. Not to mention whatever SDNY turns up in investigating the Trump Foundation... but as long as it's not literal collusion Trump will come out of this redeemed.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

I absolutely think Republicans should be embarrassed for overblowing, overhyping, and peddling conspiracy theories about Benghazi. I'd like for our side to avoid that behavior, not reproduce it. The MSNBC talking heads pumped up the Mueller investigation for two years and now that it didn't produce the results they were hoping for it's because it's a cover up? Based on what exactly? And from Joy Reid of all people? You're proud of this discourse?

Joy Reid is one out of 653 talking heads on MSNBC, and you somehow declare what she said as an embarrassment to all Democrats and you compare that to what Republicans as a group, both talking heads and elected officials, did for years regarding Benghazi? I know you don't like Joy Reid, but what she says is not out of the realm of possibility, considering Barr was appointed by the most corrupt politician in our history and voted on by a group of cowards. So yes, it's possible. Should she have said it? Probably not, especially since we don't know what the report will say. There is no organized effort by MSNBC, other prominent progressive talking heads, and elected officials to declare that this a cover up.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ocho wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Joy Reid is one out of 653 talking heads on MSNBC, and you somehow declare what she said as an embarrassment to all Democrats and you compare that to what Republicans as a group, both talking heads and elected officials, did for years regarding Benghazi? I know you don't like Joy Reid, but what she says is not out of the realm of possibility, considering Barr was appointed by the most corrupt politician in our history and voted on by a group of cowards. So yes, it's possible. Should she have said it? Probably not, especially since we don't know what the report will say.

She has her own show on the network. She's not just a talking head. She's one of the most prominent faces on the network. And she's hardly alone in pumping up the Mueller Investigation on that network. It's ok now to toss out baseless conspiracies just because they're theoretically possible? We used to laugh at conservatives for doing this stuff.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

You seem to be certain--you seem to have a lot certainty about a lot--that no one named Trump, which I assume also means Kushner, will be tried. I think this is a reasonable assessment, at least having a general expectation, as it always has been, but I don't share in your certainty.

Also, though I expect the Justice Department, including the FBI, to be honorable in this, I have always found the criticism by Trump of many of its leaders to be against him to be a joke, really nothing more than projection. After all, I don't think there is a Democrat among the decision makers here, and my understanding is that most in law enforcement are Republican. Also, Republicans, in general, share the Federalist belief of the imperial presidency--at least when a Republican is in the White House. As such, a bias could be built in to protect the presidency, just as the SCOTUS bias was built in when they visited and ruled on Bush v Gore.

Lastly, I wonder if you stated you agreed that Republicans should be embarrassed that the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform's conclusion, which came after an FBI and the Accountability Review Board's investigations, that Hillary or the Obama administration, and I am paraphrasing here, never found evidence of scandal, cover-up and lying regarding the Benghazi attack and its aftermath. I could list the other seven investigations, but in general, did you agree that Republicans should be embarrassed after investigation, upon investigation, upon investigation, they never got their man (or woman as this progressed).

Absolutely. That whole thing was a joke.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

She has her own show on the network. She's not just a talking head. She's one of the most prominent faces on the network.

no she's not...she a weekend personalty and a weekday fill-in

MSNBC is filled with never trump republicans from 3am until 3pm pt every weekday
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
She has her own show on the network. She's not just a talking head. She's one of the most prominent faces on the network. And she's hardly alone in pumping up the Mueller Investigation on that network. It's ok now to toss out baseless conspiracies just because they're theoretically possible? We used to laugh at conservatives for doing this stuff.

Again, Trump appointed him, Republicans voted for him, his performance at the confirmation hearing wasn't reassuring, and his role during Iran-Contra wasn't exemplary. While it might not be politically smart to scream cover up this early, it's nowhere near as irresponsible or baseless what the Republicans, all of them and not just one person that has a show on weekend morning on Fox, did with Benghazi and you know it. You picked one person and declared what she said as an embarrassment for all Democrats. It makes no sense.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Quote:

Again, Trump appointed him, Republicans voted for him, his performance at the confirmation hearing wasn't reassuring, and his role during Iran-Contra wasn't exemplary. While it might not be politically smart to scream cover up this early, it's nowhere near as irresponsible or baseless what the Republicans, all of them and not just one person that has a show on weekend morning on Fox, did with Benghazi and you know it. You picked one person declared what she said as an embarrassment for all Democrats. It makes no sense.

How many examples of hysteria over the Mueller report over the last two years should I provide before making a general critique of how Democrats have covered and responded to this? If you think this is the only example of stuff like this to appear on MSNBC since Trump was elected you are mistaken. Does it have to be worse than Benghazi to be irresponsible and dumb?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

I watch MSNBC. Daily. Yes the Mueller investigation was propped up, and for good reason. There were plenty of indictments, convictions, and admissions of guilt to say the investigation bore fruit. Benghazi? No. But this isn't over.

Rachel propped it up good--but more as journalist using reliable sourcing, and though obviously biased, not as a smear propagandist. She was very careful to use the word alleged or the expression we don't know what we will find.

What Joy said (and I don't think she is the best representative, for a lot of reasons, of the content on MSNBC--especially considering Rachel), is likely going through most minds right now. It is fair to wonder about the objectivity when we know their political biases, especially when so much is not in the light. I would be shocked if you aren't suspicious how the Trump Attorney General version of musical chairs has occurred; what were its effects--that we know of, don't know of, and may never know of; how the goal posts kept changing--and not the Democrats; how there were, originally, no contacts with Russia, when there were so many; and why were so many people willing to lie and go to jail when they were questioned by authorities.

These are the kind of questions that understandably and realistically propped up these investigations. There is no reason to be embarrassed to search for the truth.

I believe what you might be experiencing is propaganda fatigue or misinformation overload from all the conservative noise out there repeating over and over what Democrats think.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1439, 1440, 1441 ... 3668, 3669, 3670  Next
Page 1440 of 3670
Jump to: