THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1396, 1397, 1398 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

"I didn't need to do this," he said at a press conference telling us that this is an emergency.

He says he's confident the Supreme Court will ultimately support him, and they may, but I still think he'd prefer a defeat at the SC, since he always needs an enemy.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/1096447089670832132

Quote:
"I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn't need to do this, but I'd rather do it much faster," President Trump to
@PeterAlexander
on national emergency declaration to secure funding for border wall

So, uh, not much of an emergency then, is it?

EDIT: wilt beat me by seconds lol
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
"I didn't need to do this," he said at a press conference telling us that this is an emergency.

He says he's confident the Supreme Court will ultimately support him, and they may, but I still think he'd prefer a defeat at the SC, since he always needs an enemy.

He would probably ask the russians to poison RBG
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

No doubt.

He has the crooked media.

Crooked law enforcement.

Crooked judges and SC.

It falls into his playbook of riling up his base while wholly ignoring the real issues at hand.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

This is actually a smart move by McConnell. He gets the funding bill signed, he doesn’t break with Trump’s base, and he lets trump take this to the courts. McConnell just washed his hands of it without any significant blowback.

Assuming a Democrat wins the 2020 WH and McConnell still picked by GOP to be the senate leader minority... they (GOP base) won’t forget his position if the new president somehow declares emergency to shift funds toward a leftish program but if Trump gets a 2nd term, McConnell is sitting pretty
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
McConnell says Trump will sign spending bill and declare national emergency

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/14/spending-bill-vote-government-shutdown-1170006

And the era of declaring national emergencies to advance policy you can't pass in Congress begins.

Let's not pretend that the GOP is worried about Dems pulling this trick when we have Dem president. They have no memory and they cannot be shamed. Especially their leader McConnell.

"...Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” - George Orwell, 1984.

As I said:

@ManuRaju on Twitter:

“This is a fight worth having,” Lindsey Graham on a national emergency. I asked him if he concerned about the precedent it would set: “I’m not worried about what some Democrat is going to do in the future,” he said.

Mitch McConnell defends Trump's emergency declaration:

"President Trump’s decision to announce emergency action is the predictable and understandable consequence of Democrats’ decision to put partisan obstruction ahead of the national interest."

This is from the guy who invented partisan obstruction. There's no irony in his voice, no smirk, no knowing glance. This will never come back to haunt him because past words don't mean anything.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
McConnell says Trump will sign spending bill and declare national emergency

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/14/spending-bill-vote-government-shutdown-1170006

And the era of declaring national emergencies to advance policy you can't pass in Congress begins.

Let's not pretend that the GOP is worried about Dems pulling this trick when we have Dem president. They have no memory and they cannot be shamed. Especially their leader McConnell.

"...Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” - George Orwell, 1984.

As I said:

@ManuRaju on Twitter:

“This is a fight worth having,” Lindsey Graham on a national emergency. I asked him if he concerned about the precedent it would set: “I’m not worried about what some Democrat is going to do in the future,” he said.

Mitch McConnell defends Trump's emergency declaration:

"President Trump’s decision to announce emergency action is the predictable and understandable consequence of Democrats’ decision to put partisan obstruction ahead of the national interest."

This is from the guy who invented partisan obstruction. There's no irony in his voice, no smirk, no knowing glance. This will never come back to haunt him because past words don't mean anything.

He cares about maintaining power and getting through as many conservative judges as possible.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Two women who were detained and asked to show identification after speaking Spanish in a convenience store in Montana are suing U.S. Customs and Border Protection, saying the CBP agent violated their constitutional rights when he detained them and asked to see their identification.

Ana Suda and Martha "Mimi" Hernandez — American citizens who were born in Texas and California, respectively — were questioned as they attempted to buy groceries in Havre, Mont., last May. They captured video of the encounter, which began inside the Town Pump gas station and convenience store. In all, they were detained for some 40 minutes.

In the footage, CBP Agent Paul O'Neal is seen telling one of the women,

Quote:
"Ma'am, the reason I asked you for your ID is because I came in here and I saw that you guys are speaking Spanish, which is very unheard of up here."

When it was posted last spring, the video raised new questions about the Trump administration's methods for carrying out a crackdown on people who have entered the U.S. illegally from the Southern border. Suda and Hernandez say the agent had no cause to detain them; they accuse the CBP of violating their rights against unreasonable seizure and equal protection under the law.

Show Me Your Papers

Idaho:

Quote:
Sir, the reason I asked you for your ID is because I came in here and I saw that you guys was black, which is very unheard of up here

Alabama:

Quote:
Ma'am, the reason I asked you for your ID is because I came in here and I saw that you guys are speaking Chinese, which is very unheard of down here.

TSA:

Quote:
Sir, the reason I asked you for your ID is because I came in here and I saw that you guys are speaking Arabic, which is now a valid reason in the new United States.

Los Angeles:

Quote:
Ma'am, the reason I asked you for your ID is because I came in here and I saw that you guys were wearing I Luv the Clippers Shirts, which is very unheard of here.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
He cares about maintaining power and getting through as many conservative judges as possible.

I wish the rest of the country would boycott Kentucky. Not buy any goods made there until McConnell is voted out. He is a cancer to our country.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Judiciary Committee Dems are opening an investigation into Trump's declaration of national emergency.

They're calling on WH counsel and DOJ officials to testify on the Hill.

Should be a good show. Wonder when it takes place.

https://judiciary.house.gov/sites/democrats.judiciary.house.gov/files/documents/National%20Emergency%20Letter%20Final_0.pdf
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

This is actually a smart move by McConnell. He gets the funding bill signed, he doesn’t break with Trump’s base, and he lets trump take this to the courts. McConnell just washed his hands of it without any significant blowback.

Assuming a Democrat wins the 2020 WH and McConnell still picked by GOP to be the senate leader minority... they (GOP base) won’t forget his position if the new president somehow declares emergency to shift funds toward a leftish program but if Trump gets a 2nd term, McConnell is sitting pretty

You're looking at it from an outsider's position. The base will only care that he supported the team. And from his perspective, it is win win. He looks like he supported Trump and he's almost certain that the SC will strike it down. And if they don't, then it's still a win, because it means the court has completely gone partisan over law, and they will stop a future Dem president from doing it.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You're looking at it from an outsider's position. The base will only care that he supported the team. And from his perspective, it is win win. He looks like he supported Trump and he's almost certain that the SC will strike it down. And if they don't, then it's still a win, because it means the court has completely gone partisan over law, and they will stop a future Dem president from doing it.

Perhaps and I actually don’t see the court reversing it. How do you legally define an emergency which is subjective
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Perhaps and I actually don’t see the court reversing it. How do you legally define an emergency which is subjective

Well, if a guy starts out by telling you it isn't actually one while announcing it, that would be the first clue. And the second would be the fairly objective statistics of border crossing. Not only is the issue not new, but it is actually decreased.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

the Grand Finagler conned No Nic Nancy out of 1.4 billions dollars after she said not one dollar...
of course that's less than the 1.8 offered last week and a lot less than the 25 billion offered last year but you are a grand finagler
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

The 1.4 billion is not going to "build a wall." It's to add a little fencing to a couple of specific areas outlined in the security package.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The 1.4 billion is not going to "build a wall." It's to add a little fencing to a couple of specific areas outlined in the security package.

shhh...don't tell Ann she might explode

Did you hear the fantasy stories about NK? STOP the presses...rewrite history
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Well, if a guy starts out by telling you it isn't actually one while announcing it, that would be the first clue. And the second would be the fairly objective statistics of border crossing. Not only is the issue not new, but it is actually decreased.

I’m with you on the facts and I’m against Trump but is the Supreme Court/legislative head would decide based on the definition of emergency, I think they won’t, they’ll look at legality which trump will prob win. We’ll see, I don’t even know which route would actually be better for the left in the long run
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Trump's stacked the deck. He said he'd lose in the lower courts, win in the SC. I think he's going to be disappointed if it gets that far. There is no emergency!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I’m with you on the facts and I’m against Trump but is the Supreme Court/legislative head would decide based on the definition of emergency, I think they won’t, they’ll look at legality which trump will prob win. We’ll see, I don’t even know which route would actually be better for the left in the long run

I’m not sure what precedent or even loose definition of emergency you could use. On a legal front, this is a slam dunk. It would require all of the conservative justices to make a ruling that would stand in infamy until a future court struck it down.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I’m not sure what precedent or even loose definition of emergency you could use. On a legal front, this is a slam dunk. It would require all of the conservative justices to make a ruling that would stand in infamy until a future court struck it down.

I don't think any of the conservative judges barring Roberts even cares at all. They'd almost certainly approve anything Trump does, and when a Democratic president does something similar, they'd find specious grounds to distinguish the case. It's pure politics for the four of them. Even with Roberts it's still pure politics, except for him as Chief Justice the politics are different as he's concerned with his own legacy.

I can see Roberts siding with the liberals as Trump's possibly last months in office are counting down. It's a token for nonpartisanship while he probably sides with the conservative activists in this upcoming census case that's probably way more important in the grand scheme of things.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I wish the rest of the country would boycott Kentucky. Not buy any goods made there until McConnell is voted out. He is a cancer to our country.

I wish he would expedite his slow melt into a puddle of goo.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Unless a Democratic president is successful in packing the Court?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject:

It's not as sexy as Trump causing WWIII. But our worries about what an unqualified President could do to our country are coming to fruition. With this "national emergency" tactic, Trump could set back our country for years to come. Long after he's dead.

I genuinely hope you are right Omar. But I have no faith the judiciary will stop him. Specifically the Supreme Court.

But if I'm playing out the worst case scenario in my mind. Every cause has an effect. If the Supreme Court lets Trump get away with this. It's an easy decision. The next Democratic President must expand the court. And/or use the national emergency precedent to effectively combat climate change, implement prison reform, various social programs, progressive tax policy, healthcare, etc (the list goes on and on).
The ends justify the means in that scenario.

We aren't the ones trying to render the legislative branch obsolete. That blood is on Trump 's hands (and those voting him in office and voting with him in Congress and the Supreme Court). We'd just be playing by their rules.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The next Democratic President must expand the court. And/or use the national emergency precedent to effectively combat climate change, implement prison reform, various social programs, progressive tax policy, healthcare, etc (the list goes on and on).
The ends justify the means in that scenario.

We aren't the ones trying to render the legislative branch obsolete. That blood is on Trump 's hands (and those voting him in office and voting with him in Congress and the Supreme Court). We'd just be playing by their rules.

Sorry brother, while you angst is understandable, what you ate proposing is basically voluntarily injecting the same idiot gene that Republican idiots have allowed themselves to be infected by. If you adjust your notion of right and wrong to match theirs, then you basically become them. That's what those reprobates are counting on. That you can just as easily dispose of your humanity as they have, for the sake of the "Win". Even when combating Satan, it's never ok to let Satan make it ok to set the rules and establish the lowest common denominator as the acceptable rules. That's how the devil wins. What you are basically doing then is accepting the concept of: I'm better than you because I murdered by painless lethal injection, but you murdered by chopping heads off and that's worse."

You've just adjoined an equation where you accept that murder is acceptable and are now just arguing over degree. Devil just won. The answer of combating the malignancy that's infected conservatives is NOT to adjoin their malignancy by becoming like them and then entertaining the predictable equivications they'll present. If you sincerely desire to be better than what they've let themselves become, then you have to actually not let yourself accept their despicable behavoiurs as acceptable for you.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Now we get to see how wise the founding fathers really were with this whole checks and balances concept. While individuals can be foolish, I like to think our judicial institution is strong enough to handle all but the most partisan issues in the short run (right to have an abortion for example), and that things work themselves out through the courts in the longer run. But I’ll admit that I’d feel much safer with more Democrat appointed judges on the high court in the short run.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1396, 1397, 1398 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1397 of 3671
Jump to: