THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1351, 1352, 1353 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
CNN finally reports on the situation based on the longer video

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/us/maga-hat-teens-native-american-second-video/index.html

Nobody who has had the misfortune of encountering the black israelites should be surprised by this. They are a vile pack of racist jagoffs.

CNN wrote:
The Hebrew Israelites begin by disparaging the students

CNN wrote:
Then, they disparage indigenous people and African Americans

That is true. Those guys, in a typical tactic for them, were disgusting. The kids went back, got reinforcements, and came back to have a standoff. Mr. Phillips, the drummer, attempted to break up that standoff, and it initially looked successful, until smirk boy and his friends turned it against him. There are multiple videos and eyewitness accounts, most of them agree with Mr. Phillips version.

Take this with a grain of salt but it looks like Covington has a history of racism.

Link below is to a subreddit with a picture of them in blackface from a HS basketball game in 2015. Op links a source to a local forum discussion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/aibjto/pictures_emerge_showing_covington_high_school/?st=JR6KH4OL&sh=d5b04c21

I actually remember that photo from a few years back - the imagery of the kids in blackface taunting that guy isn't something one forgets. Then I saw it posted on a friends Facebook feed when someone out there had made the connection between this incident and the school's past.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CNN finally reports on the situation based on the longer video

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/us/maga-hat-teens-native-american-second-video/index.html

Nobody who has had the misfortune of encountering the black israelites should be surprised by this. They are a vile pack of racist jagoffs.

CNN wrote:
The Hebrew Israelites begin by disparaging the students

CNN wrote:
Then, they disparage indigenous people and African Americans

That is true. Those guys, in a typical tactic for them, were disgusting. The kids went back, got reinforcements, and came back to have a standoff. Mr. Phillips, the drummer, attempted to break up that standoff, and it initially looked successful, until smirk boy and his friends turned it against him. There are multiple videos and eyewitness accounts, most of them agree with Mr. Phillips version.

Take this with a grain of salt but it looks like Covington has a history of racism.

Link below is to a subreddit with a picture of them in blackface from a HS basketball game in 2015. Op links a source to a local forum discussion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/aibjto/pictures_emerge_showing_covington_high_school/?st=JR6KH4OL&sh=d5b04c21

I actually remember that photo from a few years back - the imagery of the kids in blackface taunting that guy isn't something one forgets. Then I saw it posted on a friends Facebook feed when someone out there had made the connection between this incident and the school's past.

This was the first time I'd seen it.

All of the videos and coverage of this event is extremely cringworthy. I appreciate the folks here who've taken the time to disect the event in a rational manner. I don't think there's any real winners in this and feel terrible for the Native American guy who got swept up in the middle of a bunch of craziness trying to do the right thing.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
MAGA hats are the new confederate flag.

Or, as per Alyssa Milano, the new white hood, though, maybe, this is a distinction without a difference.

Now I not saying I agree 100%, as well, that is a mighty broad brush, but there is certainly enough to suggest this is true for far too many.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

All of the videos and coverage of this event is extremely cringworthy. I appreciate the folks here who've taken the time to disect the event in a rational manner. I don't think there's any real winners in this and feel terrible for the Native American guy who got swept up in the middle of a bunch of craziness trying to do the right thing.

Yep. Lots of ugliness all around and all too indicative of the current climate fueled by our benevolent leader.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
kikanga wrote:
MAGA hats are the new confederate flag.

Or, as per Alyssa Milano, the new white hood, though, maybe, this is a distinction without a difference.

Now I not saying I agree 100%, as well, that is a mighty broad brush, but there is certainly enough to suggest this is true for far too many.

Let's just say I have taken to referring to them as MAGAT hats.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

More evidence of Trump using the office to fill his coffers.

China grants Ivanka Trump 5 trademarks amid trade talks

LINK

Quote:
SHANGHAI (AP) — The Chinese government has granted Ivanka Trump’s company preliminary approval for another five trademarks this month, as her father’s administration pushes ahead on trade negotiations with China

Quote:
Critics argue that by asking a foreign government for valuable intellectual property rights, White House officials could open themselves to pressure in government negotiations. There is also concern that the family’s global trademark portfolio would open the way for lucrative business opportunities once Donald Trump leaves office.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Never give up the fight...

"Can't Turn Me 'Round" (Civil Rights Song) performed by The Roots

From "Soundtrk 4 a Revolution"

Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around

Sweet Honey In The Rock
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
kikanga wrote:
You are on a plane that's crashing. It's heading toward a mountain. And there are only 2 parachutes. On the plane there are 3 people. You, Mitch McConnell, and Ann Coulter. What do you do?

Grab both parachutes and jump. Holding onto the 2nd one in case the first one failed.

Throw both parachutes out and hold both down until we crash.the world deserves better.

But that would mean your last moments on Earth would be spent with those two vermin. No Bueno.

I don't have kids or a wife. I'd put it squarely under for the greater good. Plus I could twist Mitchs waddle while giving coulter Indian burns.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
You are on a plane that's crashing. It's heading toward a mountain. And there are only 2 parachutes. On the plane there are 3 people. You, Mitch McConnell, and Ann Coulter. What do you

Grab both chutes, go to the cockpit, give the pilot one, keep one, set the auto pilot, aim the plane at the nearest unoccupied mountain, lock the cockpit door, jump.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
You are on a plane that's crashing. It's heading toward a mountain. And there are only 2 parachutes. On the plane there are 3 people. You, Mitch McConnell, and Ann Coulter. What do you

How about I am on a plane with Donald Trump and Mike Pence and there was only one parachute? I then suggest that the parachute would go to the highest bidder to benefit Planned Parenthood. I bid a million dollars and Trump bids a million and one and we keep going until it hits a billion dollars, and Trump wins. He wires the money. I hand him my knapsack and he jumps. I then said, look there is another parachute over there, and since Pence did not bid, I put on the other parachute, really the only parachute, and jump.

And Nancy is President.

There might be funnier stories, but I can't think one any better.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Harris is in

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/politics/kamala-harris-president-2020/index.html

I'm with her or Beto

An ardent cop sympathizer who fought hard to make it easier for the government to take peoples property without due process. Yeah, the Bernie Bros are going to feast on her. Her record would run well in the Republican primary though, except for the disqualifying factor of her tan. She'll be part of the first purge when the Democrat Primary field shrinks from 75 to 15.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Sen. Kamala Harris’s 2020 policy agenda: $3 trillion tax plan, tax credits for renters, bail reform, Medicare for all

Quote:
$2.8 trillion middle-class tax plan. Last fall, Harris released a proposal aimed at enacting a tax plan for middle- and working-class families, and it will be a centerpiece of her presidential campaign, her aides said.

Under Harris’s plan, the federal government would pay tax credits that match a person’s earnings up to $3,000 (or $6,000 for married couples). Those credits would phase out for higher earners, and would not benefit Americans with no earnings, in an attempt to reward people who work.

Quote:
Rental relief. In 2018, Harris proposed legislation aimed at combating the high cost of rent in major U.S. cities.

The plan would give tax credits to renters who make less than $100,000 a year but spend more than 30 percent of their income on rent (including utilities) — a widely used gauge of housing affordability.

Quote:
Medicare-for-all: In August 2018, Harris announced that she would become the first Senate Democrat to co-sponsor Sanders’s Medicare-for-all bill to nationalize health insurance.

Medicare-for-all is a proposal to move every American to a single government-run insurer that charges no deductibles or premiums.

The Kamala Harris Plan
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Grab both chutes, go to the cockpit, give the pilot one, keep one, set the auto pilot, aim the plane at the nearest unoccupied mountain, lock the cockpit door, jump.

I know it's a hypothetical, but my guess is if you can aim the plane with the autopilot, it wouldn't be crashing...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Harris is in

I'm with her or Beto

An ardent cop sympathizer who fought hard to make it easier for the government to take peoples property without due process. Yeah, the Bernie Bros are going to feast on her. Her record would run well in the Republican primary though, except for the disqualifying factor of her tan. She'll be part of the first purge when the Democrat Primary field shrinks from 75 to 15.

I think she's actually reasonably progressive, but yeah, she's going to have problems with her prosecutorial record.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Harris is in

I'm with her or Beto

This Democratic primary will be exciting.
What the candidates do/say during the race will determine my vote just as much as each candidate's voting history.
At this point I have no idea who I'll vote for. Outside of Tulsi Gabbard. I don't see myself voting for her.

Tulsi is really helping herself by now blaming democrats for the shutdown along with republicans.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

It won't be popular with all, but I'm really gravitating to Biden/Klobuchar right now, for political and governance reasons. Biden for one term, bring one of the young guns along for Veep in 2024.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It won't be popular with all, but I'm really gravitating to Biden/Klobuchar right now, for political and governance reasons. Biden for one term, bring one of the young guns along for Veep in 2024.

Si mijo, perfecto.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

My no list:

Anyone from the GOP
Tulsi
Gillibrand (fake blue dog who has morphed for the statewide audience, and who stuck the knife in her colleague Franken's back)
Bloomberg (don't think he can pull a coalition together)
Warren (too naive with horrible political intuition)
Bernie (enough)
Hillary (too late)
Castro (just doesn't move enough needles)
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Harris is in

I'm with her or Beto

I think she's actually reasonably progressive, but yeah, she's going to have problems with her prosecutorial record.

Her choice of campaign slogan was pretty interesting. "Kamala Harris For The People" will be a constant reminder of her record as a prosecutor. Hope she's got some good answers ready.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Harris is in

I'm with her or Beto

Her choice of campaign slogan was pretty interesting. "Kamala Harris For The People" will be a constant reminder of her record as a prosecutor. Hope she's got some good answers ready.

I'm on the fence with her. I like her no nonsense nature, it doesn't put me off, but i can see where people don't just wake up loving her. I'm a bit biased against prosecutors (we need them, but it is still a mindset I don't like dominating politics). I will give her a shot.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I think we found the types of boys the Gillette commercial was speaking to.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/roflinds/status/1087486166939680768?s=21

Those MAGA boys had a busy day.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Here's the deal. They showed up wearing MAGAT hats for a reason - they knew it would incite.

Which is why all the "Here's the whole story . . ." stuff that started getting circulated yesterday was so misguided. There may have been others there who didn't handle themselves appropriately. But these young men showed up to cause trouble. That is the WHOLE story.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Here's the deal. They showed up wearing MAGAT hats for a reason - they knew it would incite.

Which is why all the "Here's the whole story . . ." stuff that started getting circulated yesterday was so misguided. There may have been others there who didn't handle themselves appropriately. But these young men showed up to cause trouble. That is the WHOLE story.

That won’t stop our friends here who always look for the minority to blame.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Those MAGAT boys have a bright future. Their unwillingness to show an ounce of remorse makes me think they could be a future Republican party leader or Republican appointed Supreme Court justice.
Worst case scenario there are some PJ, Squee, or Donkey Dong Doug Jr.s amongst them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1351, 1352, 1353 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1352 of 3663
Jump to: