THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1287, 1288, 1289 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Wilt wrote:

FWIW, sources say that that he was angry and humiliated, and even threw a bunch of briefing papers out of frustration. Apparently, what bothered him was that Chuck didn't look at him directly and instead looked at the press while talking.

I think they were sending him a message.

"If you stick around, it's going to be 2 LONG YEARS. Your days of running off at the mouth unilaterally are over. Expect a brash, driect, return volley to all that drivel you speak & tweet".

Part of his schtick is that when he spouts off at the mouth and nobody responds in like kind, he sells it as strength up against weakness. And out of respect for the Office of the Presidency, folks have refrained from responding in like kind. But by responding in Like kind, Pelosi & Schumer have signaled that he's about to lose that little toy of his. Notice he hasn't had his normal twitter tantrum after being embarrassed. The little boy is shook...

I have very little faith in Chuck Schumer’s ability to play hardball against Trump. I am hopeful for Pelosi, but Trump bullied her in that meeting. He talked over, she struggled to get a word in edgewise. Schumer talked over her as well.

The one thing Trump does better than anyone is he picks a phrase and then he says it over and over. By doing that, he dictates the parameters of the debate. This time it was “Border Security, Border Security, Border Security.”

I appreciate them standing up to him in this meeting, but the one thing I’ve learned in my many years is that politicians will almost always disappoint. It’d be nice if this time is different.

And you questioned why I said misogyny plays a role in how Pelosi is viewed by some people.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ocasio Cortez is becoming my favorite legislator. She lacks experience and polish. But she's improving quickly. I think paying her staff a living wage unlike most Congressmen is a factor.
She's genuine. One of Obama's greatest political attributes.

You’re my friend and I respect you, but this is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. It’s all sizzle, no steak. She won a primary because no one showed up, assuming the other guy had it. She didn’t turn out an army. She turned out less than 16k votes. And she has no idea what she’s talking about but because the left has anointed her, she’s out painfully running her mouth where every other sentence reveals she doesn’t know anything and isn’t in any hurry to learn either. And she demogogues in such bull (bleep) like her staff. There are dozens and hundreds of people lining up for those unpaid internships, because they are dues to future paid positions. She’s paying privileged kids who will do the work for free for the connections, and acting like she’s striking a blow for the worker. She’s got talent, but she needs to figure out the basics before she continues to be a cartoon.

Why are unpaid internships ok?

I know they are incredibly valuable to the student required to work a certain amount of hours before they can earn their degree but why must it be unpaid?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ocasio Cortez is becoming my favorite legislator. She lacks experience and polish. But she's improving quickly. I think paying her staff a living wage unlike most Congressmen is a factor.

You’re my friend and I respect you, but this is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. It’s all sizzle, no steak. She won a primary because no one showed up, assuming the other guy had it. She didn’t turn out an army. She turned out less than 16k votes. And she has no idea what she’s talking about but because the left has anointed her, she’s out painfully running her mouth where every other sentence reveals she doesn’t know anything and isn’t in any hurry to learn either. And she demogogues in such bull (bleep) like her staff. There are dozens and hundreds of people lining up for those unpaid internships, because they are dues to future paid positions. She’s paying privileged kids who will do the work for free for the connections, and acting like she’s striking a blow for the worker. She’s got talent, but she needs to figure out the basics before she continues to be a cartoon.

I'm definitely giving her the benefit of the doubt. I remember we had a convo similar to this about her before. And I researched some of her comments and saw what you were talking about. She had/has a serious case of foot in mouth disease.
But recently she's done some things that make me optimistic about her future.
She supports replacing Columbus Day with a voting holiday. She pointed out the hypocrisy in Republican congresspeople opposing medicare for all while at the same time enjoying cheap government insurance. She pointed out Republicans calling Ryan a genius for being elected in his 20s, but she is somehow a "fraud". She joined the climate change advocates protesting outside Pelosi's door. And then eventually decided to support Pelosi for speakership.
I'm rooting for her. But I understand your apprehension. And I believe you when you describe the living wage story as a stunt. But it's hard for me to dislike any politician who advocates for a living wage. Too few are doing it IMO. Even if it's not an achievable goal on the federal level. It's something to work toward.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Wilt wrote:

FWIW, sources say that that he was angry and humiliated, and even threw a bunch of briefing papers out of frustration. Apparently, what bothered him was that Chuck didn't look at him directly and instead looked at the press while talking.

"If you stick around, it's going to be 2 LONG YEARS. Your days of running off at the mouth unilaterally are over. Expect a brash, driect, return volley to all that drivel you speak & tweet".

Part of his schtick is that when he spouts off at the mouth and nobody responds in like kind, he sells it as strength up against weakness. And out of respect for the Office of the Presidency, folks have refrained from responding in like kind. But by responding in Like kind, Pelosi & Schumer have signaled that he's about to lose that little toy of his. Notice he hasn't had his normal twitter tantrum after being embarrassed. The little boy is shook...

I have very little faith in Chuck Schumer’s ability to play hardball against Trump. I am hopeful for Pelosi, but Trump bullied her in that meeting. He talked over, she struggled to get a word in edgewise. Schumer talked over her as well.

Did you watch the whole exchange? I watched the whole thing and she was fantastic. She had plenty to say, she was factual, she was reasonable. Sure, she was interrupted a number of times, but they all interrupted each other. Just because she wasn't as loud and didn't have the same word count as Trump doesn't mean that she didn't articulate her points effectively. She basically said that Trump is an idiot and liar without using those words. If every public "debate" between them goes that way, she'll be the winner every time.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject:

^
I have to agree, I thought she was very reasonable.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Did you watch the whole exchange? I watched the whole thing and she was fantastic. She had plenty to say, she was factual, she was reasonable. Sure, she was interrupted a number of times, but they all interrupted each other. Just because she wasn't as loud and didn't have the same word count as Trump doesn't mean that she didn't articulate her points effectively. She basically said that Trump is an idiot and liar without using those words. If every public "debate" between them goes that way, she'll be the winner every time.

she mopped the floor with him...the hair comes in handy
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I'm definitely giving her the benefit of the doubt. I remember we had a convo similar to this about her before. And I researched some of her comments and saw what you were talking about. She had/has a serious case of foot in mouth disease.
She supports replacing Columbus Day with a voting holiday. She pointed out the hypocrisy in Republican congresspeople opposing medicare for all while at the same time enjoying cheap government insurance. She pointed out Republicans calling Ryan a genius for being elected in his 20s, but she is somehow a "fraud". She joined the climate change advocates protesting outside Pelosi's door. And then eventually decided to support Pelosi for speakership.
I'm rooting for her. But I understand your apprehension. And I believe you when you describe the living wage story as a stunt. But it's hard for me to dislike any politician who advocates for a living wage. Too few are doing it IMO. Even if it's not an achievable goal on the federal level. It's something to work toward.

My bold

Even if she's a crackpot she is screaming about legit human rights and needs..

I loved it when she said something like
"As a waitress I paid more for health insurance than I do now.. how it that acceptable"

How can people earning $100k a year feel ok that they pay significantly less for even more impressive health care? They are somehow led to feel they are that much more important than the citizens they represent?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

No matter what happens with Mueller and Congress, and despite the fact that Trump has been able to escape his past criminality by buying off politicians and working out civil settlements, he's not going to get away it all this time:

Incoming New York attorney general plans wide-ranging investigations of Trump and family

Quote:
New York Attorney Gen.-elect Letitia James says she plans to launch sweeping investigations into President Donald Trump, his family and "anyone" in his circle who may have violated the law once she settles into her new job next month.

Quote:
James outlined some of the probes she intends to pursue with regard to the president, his businesses and his family members. They include:

Any illegalities involving Trump's real estate holdings in New York, highlighting the October New York Times investigation into the president's finances. (report detailed decades of tax fraud schemes)

The June 2016 Trump Tower meeting with a Russian official.

Examine government subsidies Trump received, which were also the subject of Times investigative work.

Whether he is in violation of the emoluments clause in the U.S. Constitution through his New York businesses.

Continue to probe the Trump Foundation.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Of the three people involved (Pence mannequin doesn't count) only one of them looked fit to be a President and it wasn't Donald and it wasn't Chuck.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Her popularity seems to confound both parties but it shouldn't. She connects with her audience. She speaks to them in plain English. She is one of them, not a talking point machine churned out by years in DC. Trump rode a similar, albeit far more sinister wave to the White House.

Certainly she has to get more educated on the issues and I'm not crazy about a new generation of pols who seem more interested in winning Twitter than governing, but we can learn something from her about connecting to people.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Wilt wrote:

The one thing Trump does better than anyone is he picks a phrase and then he says it over and over. By doing that, he dictates the parameters of the debate. This time it was “Border Security, Border Security, Border Security.”

I appreciate them standing up to him in this meeting, but the one thing I’ve learned in my many years is that politicians will almost always disappoint. It’d be nice if this time is different.

And you questioned why I said misogyny plays a role in how Pelosi is viewed by some people.

No, I was questioning you agreeing with someone who was implying it was ALL about misogyny. You clarified in a subsequent post that you werent saying that. Shame on you for your emoticon.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I did watch the whole thing. I agree that her words were factual, reasonable, and that she articulated her points well, especially when you read the transcripts. I think it actually reads better for her than how it played out for her live.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I did watch the whole thing. I agree that her words were factual, reasonable, and that she articulated her points well, especially when you read the transcripts. I think it actually reads better for her than how it played out for her live.

Let me suggest that we all see things through the subconscious prism of culturally ingrained expectations that are different for women than they are for men, and vice versa. We are trained to think that a politician is being effective when they are being louder, taking up more time, one-upping their opponent through jocularity, etc. etc.

Pelosi demonstrated a different kind of effectiveness that was based on calm, control, focus and simple facts. The degree to which that may seem less "sexy" or effective than the way the other two behaved is called -- say it with me now -- sexism.

If Pelosi had been the one to shout, interrupt, be overly emotional, etc., she would have been perceived quite differently than Chuck and Donald. And not in a good way.

We have been programmed to assess a politician's effectiveness through a prism of alpha-maleness. That is not only unfair to women politicians, it's unfair to male politicians who don't act out like alpha-males.

I'm not saying you're sexist or that anyone here is a sexist. I'm asking you and all of us to rethink the underlying subconscious assumptions we bring to the table in assessing these things and try to see them in a more modern, evolved way.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

3 years in the pen for Mikey.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

I liked what Ocasio-Cortez said about the freshman lawmakers orientation as well.
Quote:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez slams Harvard orientation for freshman lawmakers as 'lobbyist project' that hypes tax cuts for corporations

https://www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-harvard-house-orientation-lobbyists-2018-12

She isn't ready to lead our party. Maybe she never will be. But she's serving a function that I think is important.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:55 am; edited 3 times in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

Jennifer Rubin, Washington Post: Pelosi puts an ignorant, irrational president in his place

Quote:
For all those Americans who have pined for moments when someone would say to President Trump, “That’s just false, Mr. President” or “Excuse me, but you’ve been fact-checked on that repeatedly,” Tuesday brought moral vindication. If you’ve found yourself defending the concept of objective truth or furious that the conservative movement has entered some postmodernist moment when facts are whatever you say they are, soon-to-be-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) delivered in a face-to-face confrontation over funding for Trump’s border wall. (As an aside, I’m at a loss to understand how any Democrat could oppose literally the only elected Democrat who has publicly called out the president to his face, scoring a direct hit.)

She ferociously held her ground in an Oval Office showdown, daring him to make good on his boast that he had the votes in the House for his wall. Pelosi declared that “there are no votes in the House, a majority of votes, for a wall — no matter where you start.” Trump insisted that he’d have the votes if he wanted them. " Well, then go do it. Go do it," she said confidently. Wham!

When Trump insisted that the Democrats' package was not “good border security,” she replied: “It’s actually what the border security asked for.”

When Trump kept insisting that only a wall would provide security or that the Army would go ahead and build the wall anyway, she put her foot down. “What the president is representing in terms of his cards over there are not factual. We have to have to an evidence-based conversation about what does work, what money has been spent, and how effective it is,” she said. “This isn’t about — this is about the security of our country. We take an oath to protect and defend, and we don’t want to have that mischaracterized by anyone.” Ouch.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

And he'll be out in less than a year.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

So if Cohen got jail time. What will Individual 1 get?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Let me suggest that we all see things through the subconscious prism of culturally ingrained expectations that are different for women than they are for men, and vice versa. We are trained to think that a politician is being effective when they are being louder, taking up more time, one-upping their opponent through jocularity, etc. etc.

Pelosi demonstrated a different kind of effectiveness that was based on calm, control, focus and simple facts. The degree to which that may seem less "sexy" or effective than the way the other two behaved is called -- say it with me now -- sexism.

If Pelosi had been the one to shout, interrupt, be overly emotional, etc., she would have been perceived quite differently than Chuck and Donald. And not in a good way.

We have been programmed to assess a politician's effectiveness through a prism of alpha-maleness. That is not only unfair to women politicians, it's unfair to male politicians who don't act out like alpha-males.

I'm not saying you're sexist or that anyone here is a sexist. I'm asking you and all of us to rethink the underlying subconscious assumptions we bring to the table in assessing these things and try to see them in a more modern, evolved way.

And as you know, it's not just limited to the political world.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

A pardon.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

A pardon.

Democratic President... still get pardoned you think? (prob)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

I thought the way Nancy handled the interview was controlled and classy. Her post interview comments were nice nasty.
Quote:
"It's like a manhood thing for him. As if manhood could ever be associated with him. This wall thing."

She reportedly continued, "It goes to show you: You get into a tinkle contest with a skunk, you get tinkle all over you."

Query; Were all the charges against Cohen federal? If he's hoping for a pardon I don't think he'll get one unless Trump changes his mind.

Trump says Michael Cohen should serve a 'full and complete' prison sentence

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Adam Parkhomenko @AdamParkhomenko
15 minutes ago

NBC reporting Trump has not yet come to work today.

Oh, yeah. He's not mad or sulking or anything. Big baby.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

And when Trump tries to say what Cohen did was just a private matter and had nothing to do with the campaign or the election:

Quote:
Meridith McGraw [AT] meridithmcgraw

Wow — SDNY says in a press release “AMI admitted that it made the $150,000 payment in concert with a candidate’s presidential campaign, and in order to ensure that the woman did not publicize damaging allegations about the candidate before the 2016 presidential election.“

That means the National Enquirer admitted to prosecutors that their payment scheme agreement was about Trump's election bid and not a private matter. They flipped on him and are cooperating in exchange for not being prosecuted.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

But..But...But, didn't Donald say Mexico was going to pay for the wall?

Quote:

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
7h7 hours ago
More
The Democrats and President Obama gave Iran 150 Billion Dollars and got nothing, but they can’t give 5 Billion Dollars for National Security and a Wall?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1287, 1288, 1289 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1288 of 3663
Jump to: